TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 143 of 146 FirstFirst ... 439398103108113118123128133138139140141142143144145146 LastLast
Results 3,551 to 3,575 of 3633

Thread: What have you watched lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Edit: Thirith, I wonder if you've seen another movie by the name of 'Tyrannosaur'? It's... not pleasant, and some of it could be described as crossing the border into mawkishness, but I think it approaches the character study of Manchester by the Sea in a way that's similar yet different enough to reap a different set of emotions.
    Yup, I've seen it and enjoyed it (I love Peter Mullan, Olivia Coleman and Eddie Marsan, so how could I not?).

Chakat sex pillow
    Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good effort all in all. It's got the ability to let you into Mullan and Coleman's headspace, even though I didn't fully relate to either character.

I had time to kill yesterday so I went to the theater and saw 'Get Out'. A little over-hyped (especially on NPR) with all the love of how brilliant its social commentary is, but it was rather well-done and an enjoyable enough film.

I'm just surprised that no one has brought or pointed out its ultimate, and incredibly racist, message; which was most likely not intentional but just a missed horrible flaw in the story.

Oh! And because of all the hullabaloo, I watched that shitty Amy Schumer special on Netflix. If I wanted to hear a bunch of Dave Attell's jokes told with a feminist perspective, I'd watch an Attell special while wearing bib overalls and bitching about men.

(yes, I just stole one of my own jokes...if Amy can steal jokes, so can I)

First time watching Rebel Without a Cause.

I guess the '50s was pretty fastlane the way the character arcs in this movie moved.
    Somebody give James Dean a ticket for stealing Brad Pitt's act.
    And they's cryin' a lot more 'bouts Plato than they was abouts Buzz. The latter got robbed.

Naw, but it was a proficient film. Two thumbs.

Just finished watching the Peacekeeper Wars which completes my watching of the entire series. What a fantastic show. Glad I finally got around to viewing it.

Season 4 - This is a real mixed bag. It starts off alright then gets REALLY bad up until about midway through the season and then gets quite good and ends really good. God damn those bad ones though were just horrible. The one where John was stuck in VR world was the worst of the worst for me. The new characters start off really average, but do improve vastly by the end of this season. I was fine with them by then.

The Peacekeeper Wars (Season 5-ish) - What an excellent send off for the show. Glad this got to be, as it gives the show the finale it deserved and leaves everything resolved. For me it's not AS good as say Serenity (as you could totally just watch that, having never seen Firefly), but it's definitely one of the best endings for a show that I've seen. 10/10.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Queue View Post
    Oh! And because of all the hullabaloo, I watched that shitty Amy Schumer special on Netflix. If I wanted to hear a bunch of Dave Attell's jokes told with a feminist perspective, I'd watch an Attell special while wearing bib overalls and bitching about men.

(yes, I just stole one of my own jokes...if Amy can steal jokes, so can I)
    I watched it last night as well. I liked it! Not up there with Louis CK or Patton Oswalt, but solid comedy anyway. The vacation food poisoning and Bradley Cooper bits were the standouts. What Dave Attell jokes did she steal? I've only listened to one Attell album, but I didn't recognize anything from that here.

Just watched Sherlock and Dirk Gently, my favorite has to be the one that has that guy that was a hobbit in it

Still Subjective
    Saw Life.

I don't really get why they wanted to make this. It's well done and if we didn't have loads of better sci-fi stuff (e.g. Arrival) it might be okay. Good start.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yup. If people making movies aren't gonna make them better than the movies that already exist, THEN DON'T EVEN BOTHER!

also I watched Hard Target 2 last night.

OMG, there's a Hard Target 2!

Just yesterday, I found out about Kindergarten Cop 2, and now this!? Getting better and better...

JUSTICE LEAGUE coming in November...

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    OMG, there's a Hard Target 2!
    There sure is! However this Roel Reine/Scott Adkins joint is in no way plot-wise connected to the John Woo/JCVD movie, nor does it measure up to the (already pretty mediocre) original. Scott Adkins is a solid action-actor who can deliver great B-action movies, given the right director and enough budget/time spent on fightscenes. Roel Reine seemingly specializes in sequels to B-action movies, and I think the man can do decent things on a tight budget. (I actually liked Death Race 2 better than the first one!) There's a few really nice scenes in Hard Target 2, but they're short snippets (and most of them you can see just by watching the trailer), but it feels like the budget just wasn't there for longer, more thought-out fight scenes.

also I watched It Follows last night. Super scary!

Quote Originally Posted by N'Al View Post
    Just yesterday, I found out about Kindergarten Cop 2, and now this!? Getting better and better...
    Their making a "sequel" to that NOW. Wow. Man that looks bad.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Yup. If people making movies aren't gonna make them better than the movies that already exist, THEN DON'T EVEN BOTHER!
    Have you seen it?

I don't know about henke, but I just watched it tonight and quite liked it, for what little that's worth. There were some logical problems, but on the whole it was 2 hours and 15 bucks well spent.

So there was a single cell that grew into the whole organism. Why couldn't it then drop a few more cells here and there and swarm the station with a dozen copies of itself? Or even if not, due to the lack of food or something, I kept expecting until the end that they'd succeed in having the pilot fly away with it in rescue pod A as they intended, only for the quarantine lady to land safely and the camera to zoom in on her arm or EVA suit or whatever, all the way down to the microscopic level, showing us a single surviving alien cell, before fading to black to end the movie.

Why did the alien leave the body of the engineer after it killed him in the beginning? I mean, it'd just eaten the mouse whole and grown quite a bit - why didn't it eat the guy as well, from the inside, leaving an empty suit flapping around, while growing 20-fold in the process?

While probably not how the makers intended it, I kept wondering why it didn't just kill the pilot after immobilizing it in the capsule. Maybe there was something about the earlier remark of the biologist that it simply wants to survive and having stopped the pilot from flying the capsule away, it felt no need to kill him, waiting to land instead and then go into the water to eat whales or whatever?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by SubJeff View Post
    Have you seen it?
    No.

Chakat sex pillow
    I watched Elle. I have no idea how to rate it; what is clear is that Isabelle Huppert is an actress who can approach the pitchest of black humour with a performance that's part shattered humanity used to picking up its own pieces and part fist wrapped in a velvet glove, all threaded through with a zany manic edge.

Verhoeven, meanwhile, does the movie as a subversion of, well, is rape revenge a genre? The movie pulls no goddamn punches; from the way it opens, you kind of know where it's headed. While it's a fraught opening scene, the movie then zips right along and tosses all of your expectations out the window by depicting a story that seamlessly flits between being hilarious, tragic, ludicrous, and unpredictable; all of this whilst still retaining an undercurrent of disturbed, raging humanity. For most of the movie's runtime, I was waiting for it to do something that offended me; instead, it gave me familiar familial drama, awkward conversations to laugh at, and the sordid realities of a person in charge of developing a video game*, and I couldn't stop watching any of it.

Like I said, I don't know how to rate this movie. I suppose that's just another way of saying: recommended.

*Styx, oddly enough. Yes, that Styx.

He really needs to go back into sci fi.

Chakat sex pillow
    Not much chance of that. I can't find the article, but I remember reading a bit on Elle where he said that he'd prefer to explore human character in a grounded setting rather than sci-fi.

Shame as he did damn fine stuff on Robocop and Total Recall. Both of which completely explore the human character despite being in sci-fi settings. I remember back then eagerly looking forward to more stuff from him.

And there's always Basic Instinct, for non sci-fi.
    Last edited by icemann; 29th Mar 2017 at 00:56.

Ghost in the Shell

I feel the movie is a bit on the short side. Storyline does not show a trace of complexity, either.

How's it compare to the Anime? That was was pretty good, at least last time I watched it.

I have a feeling that it is one of those movies where you will ABSOLUTELY HATE IT if you've watched the anime. Bit like watching any of the more recent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles flicks, if you've watched the 80s original cartoon.

Still Subjective
    Ghost in the Shell - ScarJo version.

Disappointing. The original is far better and the best bits of the film are the nods to the original.

Visually it's very nice.

Page 143 of 146 FirstFirst ... 439398103108113118123128133138139140141142143144145146 LastLast