TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 427 of 436 FirstFirst ... 177327377382387392397402407412417422423424425426427428429430431432 ... LastLast
Results 10,651 to 10,675 of 10880

Thread: NOW what are you playing?

Far bit more into Watch Dogs 2 now. This game sure likes to crash. Had like atleast 15-20 crashes to desktop so far. Disappearing vehicles happen semi often. This game needed more dev time. Side quests sure are fun. Quite like the new drone you get to use. Makes scouting much easier. Some very tricky puzzles.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I will now sell you on Virtual Reality. All ye who wish to hold on to your wallets, avert your gaze.

*cues up Robo Recall video that I just recorded*

Yes btw, it's important that you know this is my video so you know what a badass I am. I'm basically Jet Li in The One. Think about that next time you're about to disagree with me on which Assassin's Creed was the best.

Does anybody else look at Civ screenshots and think "they're going for 'EPIC CLASH OF CIVILIZATIONS' but instead got 'handful of cosplayers scuffling over It's a Small World'"?

verbose douchebag
    Ok, that looks fun, but the movement system would drive me nuts I think.

It's like Dishonored's blink was somehow a spot-on prediction for the future of VR gaming. Better than nausea, anyway.

Started Bioshock Remastered today. I quite like it. The Big Daddy are tough as f*** though.

I like that basically every VR game looks like an arcade railshooter from the mid 90's.

They need to do a Tron game in VR already. And not be a rail shooter.

At work I needed something to pass time, so been playing Shadowrun on the SNES. Played this game sooooooo many times that I felt the need to put a self imposed challenge in place to increase the difficulty. My challenge - Play through the entire game with the starting weapon only. Upgrading of armor, gaining of spells and upgrade/addition of augments is totally fine. Just have to stick with that first weapon. Needing to have Shadowrunner's accompany you on jobs/tasks is key to the "Shadowrun" experience in the PnP game and especially in the case of Harebrained Schemes quasi sequel to this game, Shadowrun Returns. Where as in this game (and the Genesis/Megadrive game) if you spent enough time farming money and karma points then you could solo your way through the game no problem. Time for a change.

So with this added challenge in mind I set out and did fine for most of the play through so far. Then I started to encounter enemies that the crappy Beretta pistol could not even scratch. Earlier on, farming karma was the way to go with taking on the hard enemies (eg in the arena). But when you can't even scratch your enemy and your not upgrading your weapon then your going to need a few runners to back you up, with clear class spots to fill (dps, healer, tank etc). Once I can use spells I should be ok for a while. Not sure how I'm going to be able to handle the last boss, as he's a pain in the ass even with the best stuff.

I look forward to taking on Drake Tower with several runners to back me up. For now money (or nuyen in Shadowrunner terminology) is hard to come by, but by the time I get there, should be less of an issue. Then be able to actually afford to get some runners.
    Last edited by icemann; 22nd Mar 2017 at 00:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    I like that basically every VR game looks like an arcade railshooter from the mid 90's.
    Windlands: check.
    Elite Dangerous: check.
    Dirt Rally: check.
    Audioshield: check.
    Rec Room: check.
    The Climb: check.
    I Expect You to Die: check.
    Edge of Nowhere: check.
    Chronos: check.
    (Does Superhot look like an arcade railshooter from the mid-'90s? It definitely doesn't play like them.)

On a different note, I'm taking a different approach to Skyrim, now that I'm playing the Special Edition, and I think it's helping me enjoy the game better. I used to scour every place for every bit of content, talking to every boring, repetitive NPC, all of this in a very mechanical way. Of course I got more content out of the game like that, but I was enjoying it less, because it totally went against what Skyrim does best, namely immersion. This time round, and with the help of the Live Another Life mod, I'm doing something that's closer to roleplaying: I think about what my character, a hunter and a bit of a loner, might do. If I come upon something that might be interesting, I'll check it out, but I don't try to squeeze every last fetch quest out of the game there and then, I don't explore every cave and dungeon and ruin for no other reason than because I walk past them. As a result, the game feels like much less of a shallow chore to me.

Floor 13 (Dos) massively underrated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floor_13_(video_game)

Awesome nick on a side note.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I don't think people were even rating games back then.

7/10 is as old as history itself.

"The Wheel is very enjoyable in short bursts, but its repetitiveness and the limited number of different uses makes it less suited to longer sessions. Multiplayer is as yet buggy, but when it works it's an absolute blast. All in all, there are definitely better applications around, but if you have grown tired of Fire (or you can't run it on your equipment - it is badly optimised, after all!), give this one a whirl and you might be surprised!" - 7/10

The Wheel of Time

El Shagmeister

Continuing to enjoy Dishonored 2. Currently up in the Dust District.

As a side project, getting my dick repeatedly punched by Mega Man Unlimited. A pretty worthy -so far, at least- 8-bit fan-made Mega Man Classic game. Feels like a Capcom original in my experience, and as such it's brutally hard. Woooo!

Far more into Watch Dogs 2. This is definitely the better of the 2 games by a long shot, but I do miss some of what was removed.

Combat for example, was one of the REALLY good things in the first game. In this one, it's ok, but nowhere near as satisfying. And they got rid of the focus (slow mo) ability entirely. Gah. Going non-lethal makes more sense in this one, than in the first, which in doing so means you'll feel inclined towards more wimpier weapons. In the first game the Goblin Rifle was a mainstay.

Aiden Pierce may have been a really odd person, but he was a bad ass. Marcus - Not so much. Not even a bad ass. Not a wimp though.

Also the game is far less serious over the first game. I'm in 2 minds about that. At times I REALLY miss the more serious tone, then at others I'm laughing my ass off at some of the stuff that happens. Can't make my mind up on that one. It does have serious bits don't get me wrong, but the overall tone is far less serious.

I miss the recorded footage stuff you'd find in the first one when you'd hack into a server. None of that in this one. Well there is some, but it's done differently.
    Last edited by icemann; 24th Mar 2017 at 08:39.

And finished the main game off.

Definitely the best of the 2 Watch Dogs games despite my earlier annoyances/gripes with it. It's really funny at times and all the characters are well done and likeable.

QUITE a fair bit of content in there. I spent weeks just doing the side stuff (side missions, getting all the acquirable research points, cars, the taxi side quests etc etc). And the main missions are all very good. Ends a bit abruptly but that's fine.

Despite pumping roughly a month into this game I was itching for a few hours of additional content. Lucky for me the first of the 2 story-missions DLC's "Human Conditions" came out last week. So when I went checking for that type of DLC I came across it. It's the good kind of DLC in that it plugs 3 new main missions into the main game, which unlock at various points. As I'd already beaten the game they all unlocked straight away. Overall each of the 3 was excellent and a good amount of content overall per main mission (which in themselves are multi-parters). Not much in the way of new stuff added besides the missions. 1 new car and 1 new enemy type.

If you've not played the game yet and plan on doing so, get that DLC for a more complete experience. 1 more story-mission DLC on the way in a few months apparently. I'll be keeping an eye out for it. Great game. Different in tone to the original, but it has it's own charm to it.

I'm glad you came to enjoy it, icemann! I was surprised by how much I liked it too, and I really think it builds very well on the first game (which I didn't particularly enjoy), added to which its San Francisco is a cool place to spend time in, at least for this digital tourist.

There are some things I hope they improve for another time, mainly the way the game treats detection (at least in certain missions) as more or less a fail state. It lets you continue playing, but once a large number of guards is onto you, you might as well just let yourself be killed or revert to the last checkpoint. I'm now on the final story mission, and that's very much a case in point.

Other than that, though, I think they did a very good job of ramping up the scope and impressiveness of missions (I really liked what they did with the Senator Truss mission where you have to get to the skyscraper), and for the most part I like the prankster tone they're going for. If the game took itself too seriously, it'd be unbearable, but I think they handle it well.

I played through the first game basically thinking of Aiden Pierce, as being like the guy from the movie "Taxi Driver". He is a total crazy lunatic, but a real bad ass at the same time (just like Taxi Driver).

I prefer the multiplayer in the first game, to the 2nd. I say that, since in the first game if someone invaded your game you would get a audio clue (your radio would switch off and you'd hear a distortion for a second) + the human players REALLY stood out from the AI NPCs. This created a "your in the matrix" type feel which I loved.

In the sequel you don't get any warning (which assists the invader) and the human players are harder to spot, as the computer controlled NPCs were more real-ish (props to the programmers there), which meant that human players blend better. Also there was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy less invasions in the sequel (only happened to me like 5 or 6 times in my entire play through) compared to the first game (Lost count of the amount of times I got invaded. It was A LOT).

As for the detection stuff you mention, the removal of the focus ability really made combat MUCH harder. You really have to play to a higher level to get through them, where you'd have totally kicked ass in the original.

Finished Watch Dogs 2 yesterday, though I've still got some activities I'll want to return to (Driver SF) and I'm considering getting the DLC at some point.

I did mostly get through the game without killing anyone, although I had no compunctions about siccing one of the local gangs onto a bunch of heavily armed guards, seeing how the latter were basically paramilitary thugs. All in all, together with Assassin's Creed Syndicate I consider this my favourite Ubisoft game of the last five years or so - which for some will be damning them by faint praise, but I've enjoyed a fair few Ubisoft open world games, even if I think that a lot of the criticism is valid. For me, WD2 managed to get the balance between the different elements right; I didn't feel like I was just ticking off boxes on a list, and San Francisco was a fun place just to faff about. In addition, I'd say they got the tone and characters right in this one, perhaps not always, but often enough for this to be a lot of fun. Could the game be better? Absolutely, but I'll remember it fondly for the interaction between the goofy characters, the sunny, fun depiction of San Francisco, and the cyberstealth gameplay, which felt quite fresh even if it did get a bit old by the end.

Next up on the PS4: Gravity Rush, which I got started on before Christmas. And after that: Horizon Zero Dawn, which apparently is *much* better than its stupid, stupid title.

Alternate Horizon Zero Dawn title suggestions? "Robot Dinosaur ATTACK!"

Dragon Age: Inquisition. The deluxe final whatever edition is cheap now, looks absolutely gorgeous, and the gameplay is... Okay. There's a bit of grind and UBIsywork, but you can skip most of it. It kinda reminds me of Diablo II when it comes to choice of locales: a village in the rain, desert, dungeons, etc. The politics manager is a fine breather between exploration/combat sessions, and while the locations vary in size substantially, you can sometimes see the consequences of your actions. E.g. eliminating bandits and closing rifts will make a burning village come to life again, after some time, which is a nice touch. Again, the whole thing feels... inoffensive, but somehow I still keep playing.

So the latest Extra Credits episode about stress in game development talks briefly about game developers telling "war stories" about getting in over their head. Image? Warren Spector. Lol.

Episode

Skip to WS

At work - Just finished off my beretta challenge on Shadowrun (snes). I went into this, giving myself the added challenge, thinking I'd be making the game harder by doing so. How things all turned out though, was a far easier experience. Odd. Normally I use Shadowrunners sparingly, soloing the majority of the game and maxing out stats.

Since I was restricting myself to the starting weapon, this meant using runners all the time + maxing out my stats, as well as upgrading their gear when I could. This lead to me having a kickass party who took out the boss of the game in 30 seconds. Dayam. Maybe I broke the game with this approach? I dunno. Was the easiest of all my play throughs. Still fun, and it did show some areas of the game that could have been done better.

For example - If you buy a gun then it's gone from that shop for good (except for grenades). Same goes with armor. As the game designers went in with mindset that people would be primarily solo-ing the game, players who also did this wouldn't have any issues. However those who used Shadowrunners regularly, would find it annoying that they could not outfit everyone with the best gear. This was a minor issue though as my party kicked ass regardless. Final location was an absolute push over. Game is also super stingy with money handouts, which further promotes the solo preferred play style.

Having played Shadowrun Returns + it's expansions in recent years, I now see it's advantages over this one. That said, this game is more open. You can go back and forth wherever you want (once you've unlocked those areas), where as in Returns your stuck on that mission once you go there.

Party management could use some major improvements as it is extremely basic. Want a party member to cast a spell? You first need to move your in-game cursor over to them, in use mode, click on the party member, then click on "Cast Spell" and then select the spell. All while combat is going on. You also need to do this for getting party members to attack specific targets. At the very least, if you could pause combat and then issue commands (ala Baldurs Gate) that would have been fantastic.

I'd (halfway through my play through) also given myself the extra challenge of keeping Kitsune alive at all times, the only permanent party member you get in the game, thinking that would make the game harder. This did. But not by much. Made the game more fun though.

This would make for a good game to maybe remake one day. I don't know the first thing about programming an isometric game though. There in lies the fun. And I happened across a particular FAQ that thoroughly detailed every little aspect of the game and of the game logic that the game uses. Super handy.

Page 427 of 436 FirstFirst ... 177327377382387392397402407412417422423424425426427428429430431432 ... LastLast