TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Breath of the Wild

Southquarter.com/fms
    Ok, so maybe other than write up some big review of this awesome game, I'll just share a paragraph or two here and there on some aspects of it. Or maybe not. But today I want to talk about...

Stealth!

Stealth is definitely a viable option in BoTW, and it works reall well. This isn't primarily a stealth game though, of course, so you can't do anything crazy like "complete the game without killing anyone" or supreme ghost it or anything like that. You're going to have to kill some monsters and bosses at some point, no way around it. However...

Sneak mode - pushing down the left stick puts you into a crouch, and you can slink around, reducing your visibility and noise. Stealth in BoTW is line of sight, but also sound based. There's a sound meter available on the standard HUD so you can see how loud you are. Of course you move slower in sneak mode, and you can use the analog stick to slow down even further, reducing your noise level even more. There's also a variety of gear you can wear that makes you quieter, and recipes and elixirs that you can craft to temporarily help with this too by giving you stealth bonuses. One cool thing I read about too, environmental factors can affect your noise level, like for instance how monsters can't hear you as well when it's raining and/or thundering.

The game is littered with enemy monster camps, and using stealth you can sneak in, steal weapons and items, and get out without being detected (if you're careful). Monsters sleep certain times of the day, so those are naturally opportune moments. There is a also a "sneak strike" move if you get behind someone undetected which will usually kill them in one shot (pretty much a standard backstab thing). This is very useful as weapons degrade, so 1 hit vs. 6-8 can make a huge difference. The great thing is though, this game isn't an RPG from the standpoint of gaining XP, so you really don't need to kill anyone to "level up." You can pretty much avoid all of the lower minions in the game (unless you want an item they're carrying).

The paraglider is great for stealth moves too. You can fly over a hard to get to area and drop in behind a tree or a rock and immediately get sneaky. Or on the more aggressive side, you can do a dropping sword or bow attack and take out some bokoblins assassin style.

As you might have guessed, I am playing as stealthily as possible (shocker, I know). But with degrading weapons, this makes the most sense to me. Plus, at least early on, Link dies very easily, so I just avoid conflict a much as possible. There are times when enemies will just spawn out of the ground in front of you, so there's no avoiding that, but otherwise, you can sneak to your heart's content.

Next up...maybe navigating and climbing. Or possibly crafting.

That sounds great. I always wondered why more games don't use environmental noise as cover (possibly Thief 4 did in a couple of the rainy parts?).

Moderator and Priest
    Okay. I'm taking the plunge. I will own a Switch and Breath of the Wild this time next week!

Cooking combinations of food to make crazy recipes is great, the sheer amount of different recipes is quite mind boggling. You can also chop down trees onto monsters. And the other day I slid down a snowy mountain slope and caused an avalanche.

Moderator and Priest
    That sounds fucking RAD!

I also feel the need to add that this is very much a thing for the Switch, and I'll be buying it first chance I get.

Last edited by Renzatic; 8th Mar 2017 at 20:23.

Moderator and Priest
    Why is no one as stoked about Blaster Master as I am?

Guess cuz you're all bastards, is why.

I hadnt even heard of it
    actually looks pretty cool, like the perspective change.

You guys really think Zelda would suffer on a small screen? I don't have a Switch or a Wii U, but I also don't have a big screen TV. I think my monitor is 22", and I'd rather play it portably on the couch, anyway.

Moderator and Priest
    I'm ashamed of you, Lick. A true fan would know the original Blaster Master used both the side scrolling and 3/4 overhead perspectives, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    You guys really think Zelda would suffer on a small screen? I don't have a Switch or a Wii U, but I also don't have a big screen TV. I think my monitor is 22", and I'd rather play it portably on the couch, anyway.
    That's one of those things that comes entirely down to personal preference.

Considering the fact I had a Gameboy before an NES, I'm sorta geared towards playing games on a portable platform. I intend on playing BotW in portable mode, and the fact I'm playing it on a small screen won't matter, since that little screen will be taking up most of my field of view anyway.

But some people like playing their grand adventures on equally grand screens, and hey, more power to them.

I don't think there's a right or wrong way here.

edit: here's a video of it in action in portable mode. Looks fine to me.

Also, damn that hum.
    Last edited by Renzatic; 8th Mar 2017 at 22:10.

Southquarter.com/fms
    It's not that it isn't playable on the smaller screen, it's that the game is so much more stunning on a big screen. The Switch screen is only 6", that seems like a waste to me. But again, only if you have a bigger screen as an option. Even a 22" monitor is huge upgrade over the portable's screen.

Link does have a built in telescope thing as part of his toolset, so you can always use that to see things in the distance if you're having trouble.

Moderator and Priest
    I've been doing some light searching for a Switch, and...damn. They're hard to come by. I may not be able to pick one up til mid-April, and even that's an iffy proposition.

Though considering I asked at Gamestop, they might have a ton in the back that they're scuffing up with sandpaper so they can sell them to people used for $350.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Lost of them available on Craigslist, though it will cost you an extra hundert or so.

Last night I figured out how to snowboard down a mountain on my shield. Pure awesomeness.

Moderator and Priest
    Scalpers don't deserve anything except a swift kick to the junk.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Before this drops off the thread list, here are some pics of some of my travels in BOTW. Loving this game, feels like an all-time great at the moment:

Moderator and Priest
    That woman in your last shot looks like she's wearing the traditional Link garb. I didn't think it was anywhere in the game.

Taking a break
    I got to play a few minutes of the weekend on a buddy's switch.

Overall I'm fairly impressed with the effort. Underneath the entire game there's an odd sort of humanity and childlike feeling of beauty to the entire world they've constructed....a feeling that American game developers are completely incapable of producing due to the darkness in their souls.

Thing What Kicks
    Got a Switch, the Pro Controller and this yesterday (tip for anyone looking to buy in the UK: buy direct from Nintendo).
    And so far... it's not bad!
    It's certainly not the perfect game everyone's making it out to be. But it's good!

It's very pretty, as expected, and the degree of freedom on offer is somewhat overwhelming. Link can climb virtually anywhere, and it's incredibly liberating. It's what the climbing gloves in Thief Deadly Shadows should have been, and yet it's just a normal ability, unlocked from the very start of the game.

But I have issues with the controls and inventory management. Nintendo's controller itself is fine, but button arrangement is obstinately non-industry standard, and to all intents and purposes, the reverse of what I expect. In addition, the jump button, by default, requires interesting finger-Twister contortions if you want to run and jump at the same time.

The game also seems to require an excessive amount of inventory screen access, enough to disrupt the flow of gameplay.

And I may not be doing it correctly, but lock-on dodge seems incredibly badly animated due to sharing functionality with another action.

I'm also worried about how much the game will rely on cooking the right food for the right situation. The process of cooking simply isn't very fun, requiring you to bring up the inventory system, hunt for ingredients, then select them to hold before exiting the menu and hitting "Cook".

Note however that I haven't left the starter plateau yet, so things may flow better later on. But currently it feels very stilted.

Also, I've got a cold at the moment, so I may just be grumpier than usual.

In closing, a note to all game devs making a third person game focussing on controllers: MGS V nailed it. It has simply the best control scheme of any third person game ever created, and if you're not using it, you will be found wanting.
    You NEVER have to play finger-twister while controlling Snake in MGS V.

Southquarter.com/fms
    If you go to Options, you can change which button is the "jump" button. I did this right away (read about it somewhere), it helps a lot.

Thing What Kicks
    Nah, it still keeps jump and sprint on opposite buttons, just swaps them around from top to bottom and vice versa.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Maybe I'm just used to it after 120 hours. I guess I rarely run and jump, unless it's off a cliff to hang glide.

Also, I'll say I haven't cooked that much yet. The few times I did, I was in a safe place at a stable and made several things in a row and then off I went, so it wasn't too disrupting to gameplay.

The very short locking distance and the fact that if you miss it the game resets your camera -- which will usually end up in facing away from what you are trying to lock onto, has been the worst part of the game for me. I'm about 80 hours in and still not so used to the lock radius.

Other than that, it's in my top 5 best open world games. Even if it is gamified to hell, when it gets repetitive it doesn't get boring. Very impressive.