TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Update patches not installing properly

Update patches not installing properly

Hi I just got Morrowind III (coz it was like $7.50!) and I downloaded the patches from http://www.elderscrolls.com/download...es_patches.htm

When installing the 1.2 (North American) patch I got the error message "old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match. The same error happened twice when updated with the Tribunal patch.

Is it meant to be doing this or have I done something wrong?

Morrowind does not include the Tribunal and Bloodmoon expansions. If you just have Morrowind, you can't install the Tribunal or Bloodmoon patches.

There are a lot different patches, so make sure you get the right ones. The description of each patch is on the page: just find the ones you need for your game.

Ah ok thx RyushiBlade.

However I do get that error once when I install the 1.2 Morrowind patch which is for N America and Australia (where I am). Plz help?

I did get a similar error before - I'd try uninstalling Morrowind and reinstalling it. If that still doesn't help, uninstall it again and reinstall it in another folder.

Here's the thing: If you just have Morrowind by itself, then it's the NA version. If you have any of the expansions, they are the European versions. (This is in Australia). The GOTY I assume is the European version.

Do you just have the original game without any expansions? If you have both expansions, you only have to install the Bloodmoon patch. (Installation order: Morrowind > Tribunal > Bloodmoon > Patch. Dunno if it's the same for the GOTY).

Well I tried reinstalling a couple of times and installed to the default directory instead of my games directory - same error message that old file not found. It says update successful so will the game work ok do you think or should I keep searching for solutions to the error message?

Striker, I have The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. It does not say that it is the GOTY edition.

It would be nice to solve this, but remember: the patches aren't absolutely necessary unless you have Tribunal (then there's a bug that hinders the Tribunal mainquest.)

Also, patches can be installed at any point, so don't let this setback stop you from playing Morrowind!

Just to be sure, if you just have the original Morrowind CD, no expansion packs, no GOTY edition, the file you should download is:

MORROWIND PATCH v1.2.0722
    Morrowind_v1.2.0722.exe (3.9 MB) 07/22/2002
    This patch is for the North American and Australian editions, and European collector's edition versions of Morrowind.
    **DO NOT INSTALL if you have already installed the
    Tribunal expansion.**
    This is the only file you should download.

Another thought occurs: You bought the game recently, so check the game version. At the startup screen (in-game, not the Launcher) it will tell you the version at the bottom-left. If it says v1.2.0722 then you don't need the patch!

Ah it does say 1.2.0722 so I won't need to patch eh?

Sounds like a fair assumption to me.

And there you had us desperately trying to find a solution, just because you hadn't checked your version beforehand

But don't stress - I knew I'd gotten that error before!

Just a quick game question: there are lots of books around the start which have about 25 pages in them - do I really need to read them?

No you don't have to read them. They are really interesting though.

If you want the skill up you get from some books, all you have to do is open it.

You could do what I do - try to collect all the books in the game but never read any of them! Atleast, not until you need to know something about something. Then it's straight to your library.

I probably should read them, but I must say you feel very proud knowing you built the library yourself, collecting each and every book by hand.

Which version of the patch do I need for the English Version of Morrowind (that's what it says on the CD) it's not the most recent version? Last time I played I downloaded a patch, but that was another computer ago. I have got tribunal, but I don't want to install it until I've finished morrowind.

And if I install the patch, it won't mess up my saved games will it? It seems to be working ok so I might just muddle through (although Trebonius challenged me before I was an arch mage, which is weird. I have to go talk to him for Edwinna, but he's already dead!)

Well, if you're location is correct (near Wales), you'll want the European Morrowind patch found here. It is the one that says:

MORROWIND EUROPEAN PATCH v1.2.0722
    Morrowind_v1.2.0722_Europe.exe (8.2 MB) 07/22/2002
    **DO NOT INSTALL if you have already installed the
    Tribunal expansion.**
    If you, for whatever reason, you have the North American version, download the NA patch. But you should be fine with the Euro patch!

And yes, your saved games will be fine. I believe that Trebonius problem of yours is a bug that was fixed in a later patch, though I'd need confirmation of this from someone else.

Weird - I tried installing that one but it totally messed everything up, incuding my saved games. No worries though as I managed to copy the saved game files to a different directory, uninstalled everything then reinstalled the game and re-nserted the saved game files. I think I may play on unpatched.. or should I try the American version? What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by RyushiBlade
    You could do what I do - try to collect all the books in the game but never read any of them! Atleast, not until you need to know something about something. Then it's straight to your library.

I probably should read them, but I must say you feel very proud knowing you built the library yourself, collecting each and every book by hand.
    I started doing it with one of my characters but I only ended up with about 50 books because I am not too good at sticking with characters. I have one character who has almost every piece of clothing (minus shoes and jewelary) in the game, for some you need to do quests before you can get them though so I haven't finished the full collection, and I might have over looked a piece or 2 (though I'm pretty sure I haven't) so I will go through and check when its all done. My first character ever played colllected lights and got a fair lot but they are hard to collect and not much fun, also collected helmets and a few other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacerta
    Weird - I tried installing that one but it totally messed everything up, incuding my saved games. No worries though as I managed to copy the saved game files to a different directory, uninstalled everything then reinstalled the game and re-nserted the saved game files. I think I may play on unpatched.. or should I try the American version? What do you guys think?
    Hm. Strange. I've never seen that problem before. So long as you have a backup of your saved games, you've got free reign to experiment. Go ahead and try the NA patch version too. Unpatched isn't too bad - but when you install Tribunal, it automatically patches your game to the latest at the time of Tribunal's release, I think. Hence why you're not supposed to install the patch you did if Tribunal is already there!

If all else fails, just install Tribunal. Once you stop the assassins, you don't ever have to go to Tribunal if you don't want.