TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: T2 Mission Mysterious Invitation Jan. 16/06

Mission Complete, but I was still
    spoiler:
    in the water and didn't get to read the dead mans journal or see if there was any loot.

On hard, my computer either crashes to desktop or freezes while still in the labyrinth so I can't finish mission. Anyone else have this problem?

Overall it is a very good game and I enjoyed it very much. Will try it on expert and see if I encounter any problems.

I had several problems in the labyrinth area on Normal. 3 or 4 times, the game crashed and I got the "Thief 2 has encountered a problem and has to close" message but I managed to get by there finally.

spoiler:
    I never got any problems like that while beta-testing. Oh, my...

Invitation

Reading past messages, I understood that version 1.1 was supposed to fix the problem with the arrows not working. Wrong!!! We are at the area with the two broken walkways and the rope arrows don't work. What now??
    On another note, we usually play games on the expert level but ghosting is not our cup of tea. Having to play on normal makes for a very boring experience for us. This is a very well thought out FM and would have been very enjoyable if we had not been constrained from BJing AI. Normal was just too easy.

Playing on expert and still have the same problem. I downloaded the newer version and still can't use any arrow but broaddhead; and that on only one thing...

spoiler:
    Is there any way to get past the guard by Cripplewood's room? I used the invisible potion earlier when I walked across the beam. I tried several times without the potion, and there is no way I could get past him. Now that I have Cripplewood's key, each time I try to divert his attention, I get the skull and crossbones. If I use a flash bomb the game is over

Does anyone have any idea how to get past him, or do I have to start over?

O.K. I started from an earlier save and managed to get
    spoiler:
    into Cripplewood's room and adjacent 2 rooms.

spoiler:
    Now I'm looking for the nobleman's "asset"
    Any clues appreciated.
    Last edited by Dawggon; 18th Jan 2006 at 20:53.

I thought this was quite good, version 1.1A played fine through GarrettLoader...water arrows came in useful in places, however I did notice that 2 archway pillars near the beginning (big open space with big drop) seemed to be missing textures (unless they were supposed to be blue). There was also a lot of things floating.

spoiler:
    Any way to get to the outside pool in between the north and south wings? And how do you get into the armoury?

This was a fun mission. I enjoyed it. I also crashed when I tried to load a save game in the Labyrinth. Luckily I had another save just before that so it wasn't a disaster. On the plus side all my arrows worked just great, and I was using the earlier version.

So is there a way to get into the armory? The door isn't frobbable and stands there mocking me. Not that I need anything inside but you know how it is ...

Can anybody tell me if you are supposed to get your lockpicks in this mission and if so where to find them?

elkston: I finished on hard and expert. I found no lockpicks.

Those that have downloaded the 1-1a version and still cannot get the extra arrows to work.

Whilst in Garretloader (or Darkloader). Get either to install another mission (it makes no difference which). Get the copy of the "Invitation1_1a" version and rename it removing the "a". Copy over the new "Invitation1_1", then install. The new game.sys will now take effect.
    Last edited by rastas; 19th Jan 2006 at 03:28.

Ghost
    Hm. Several people have finished the mission... but nobody has answered the question about what and where the asset is.

Doesn't anybody remember?

I found the labyrinth and see how to run it... but that won't do me much good, unless the "asset" is there.

Help!

Thanks,

Dafydd

Quote Originally Posted by Dawggon
    elkston: I finished on hard and expert. I found no lockpicks.
    OK thanks. I figured you had to find the proper keys this time..but I just wanted to be sure before I delved further into the mission.

A few important things: There are really no lockpicks in the mission. And there's nothing in the armory, therefore the door isn't frobbable (is this word correct? ).
    Because of this problem with the crash, I have no idea, how I can fix this.

Let me add my voice to those wondering about Duncan's prized personal "asset." Where is it? Cold, hot, hotter clues might be fine, but I won't complain about outright spoilers.

Ronnie

asset

spoiler:
    It's on a cupboard near the captain's room. You have to use a rope arrow to get it

how does Cripplewood objective get checked off?

Hello Taffers,
    Been to lots of rooms and broke into the rooms that have the passageways between them upstairs. Read the info about the monster etc in the rooms but the Cripplewood objective is still unchecked. I know I missed something to accomplish it but what? Any help appreciated .... The Geez
    PS- I have the Cripplewood key. How or where do I use it? Many thanx...

I'm obviously being a little slow. Where is Lord Duncan?

Finished on Expert first-time through. Ghosting in daylight ain't too fun, and I would have liked some more shadows in the hallways or light switches elsewhere. But an entertaining mission that wasn't too aggravating.

One criticism:

spoiler:
    In terms of the story, though, I was doubtful from the start. The Garrett I know (and play) would certainly not accept a mysterious invitation and then enter a strange estate -- in daylight, no less -- and proceed to the room marked "Meet Here" on the map. And he would have noticed that the invitation was from someone named Garth and yet the banners at the estate were marked with the letter D. So... I think there could have been a better way to put Garrett in jail without making the story implausible from the beginning. Just my opinion.

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer
    PS- I have the Cripplewood key. How or where do I use it? Many thanx...
    The automap in this mission was very useful--thank the author for the extra work to do this. You should see some guest bedrooms which you haven't visited yet. Cripplewood's key works on his bedroom door.

OK - found the dang Asset!!

spoiler:
    It is in the room NEXT TO the captains rooms - the one with the white windowed door leading out to the wrap-around balcony.

More Specifically:

spoiler:
    It is atop the bookshelf in the corner of this room.
    Last edited by taffedinthehead; 19th Jan 2006 at 20:48.

Ghost
    All right, I finished, though I only had three secrets, whereas I know there are at least four. I ended up with 2080 loot... and I was quick enough to read the journal at the end and also get the extra rope arrows there!

Not a clean ghost for two reasons:

1. I had to use the invisibility potion to make it past the glowing spiders in the labyrinth. By the way, just a question... why didn't the author do the obvious thing and give the giant the head of a bull?

That would have been all right, just a chemical ghost, which is acceptable if one reports it. But this one is a ghost bust, and I don't think there's any way around it:

2. I had to cause the hoppy frog on the balcony to get near me and explode in order to get the Captain's Key which it had swallowed. Fortunately, I took no damage; and since I closed the door beforehand, I didn't alert any guards. But that's still a bust, and no two ways about it.

If there is a way around that, please let me know!

Thanks,

Dafydd

Completed all the objectives with 2085 loot and 3 secrets on expert but still don't know what "battue" means? I couldn't find it in Longman.
    Last edited by JacekA; 20th Jan 2006 at 08:23.

I posted the meaning earlier in the thread. I had no idea what it was either.

Quote Originally Posted by JacekA
    Completed all the objectives with 2085 loot and 3 secrets on expert but still don't know what "battue" means? I couldn't find it in Longman.
    Longman is a great dictionary for ESL, I used it extensively when teaching in Asia. As to battue, the American Heritage Dictionary has it:

http://www.bartleby.com/61/91/B0119150.html

I see many posts with problems. Is it necessarily to make a further update? Otherwise nobody in the german forum had no technical problems.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast