TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

View Poll Results: Which of these best describes your situtation?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have broadband (256kps or more)

99 76.74%
  • I have access to broadband and can use it to get downloads onto CD/DVD

17 13.18%
  • I do not have broadband

13 10.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has broadband and who doesn't?

Still Subjective

Who has broadband and who doesn't?

Simple poll, out of interest since the new T3Ed FMs, T3EnhancED (750MB) and T3EnhancED patch (200MB) to play missions are about (or imminent) now.

Broadband in this context is any speed of internet connection that has greater than 256kps download speeds. If you have ISDN slower than this, it isn't broadband.
    Last edited by SubJeff; 28th Jan 2006 at 06:46.

speed etc

I have 2MB/256k broadband, so can download a CD iso within an hour or 2

biker

re ISDN

In many areas of Australia this is the only reliable high speed internet available. I had this for several years. I downloaded T2X on it and all the missions (big and small) from 2001 to 2005. I was using ISDN when I fullfilled most of my Brother Renault mailout duties for Australia.

I have only just gone to ADSL2+ (Max 24mbits/1mbit to Min 1.5mBit/256kBit), middle 2005. As it has only just been made available in my area.

I never had a problem with ISDN. No drop outs. So I feel not including it is wrong.
    Last edited by rastas; 28th Jan 2006 at 07:06.

I have 1mb (although I was informed I should get 2mb by november last year ).
    I also have access to a majorly fast connection at work (it is very fast, after 7pm one night I downloaded a 150mb install from Microsoft in under 1 minute...).

Link (Fixed)

Oops, wrong link!
    Last edited by sluggs; 28th Jan 2006 at 09:07.

According to sluggs' speed meter I'm at ~422. I usually DL from Jason at about 180-200.

That's not a particularly great test, it's telling me that my 1MB connection is nearer 300kbps

I find this gives more accurate results.

That one doesn't work for me. 'Prolly something to do with my firewall.

According to sluggs test im at 19.44, but I know its really 24 since thats what it says in my taskbar everytime I log onto the net.
    Im in a really bad location, no cable no dsl. No matter how many phone calls I cant get my phone company to clean up all the static on my line. I ordered 700k satellite for $59.99 a month with $600 installation But two days before the appointment I canceled because thats just too much.
    I get 73Mb in 8 hours. I do all the downloading while I sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Midnight
    I ordered 700k satellite for $59.99 a month with $600 installation
    Ouch, thats expensive...

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    I check in at 564.95 KBs (54kbs) according to the meter.

With sluggsStrontium Dog I get a 409 download and a 139 up.

This is with two computers actively sharing the line which is supposed to be a 700 KBs connection.
    Last edited by theBlackman; 28th Jan 2006 at 20:02.

Still Subjective
    With StD's I get 501kbps, which I expected.

With suggs I get 2000kbps, lol.

Just wanted to clarify.

T3EnhancED is for mappers of course.

The T3EnhancED patch, is for the player who wants to play the T3EnhancED FM on their original T3 install. It's a one time download.

Are you all sure you're being clear about Kb/s vs kb/s? The first is eight times as much info as the second, and will thus give you a lower number. Plus, speed measurers handle them differently, so you won't just get a nice 8x comparison. When you subscribe to cable and they tell you you're ordering 1 megabit connection, that's 1000kb/s, or rougly 128Kb/s
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

I got the same results at Sluggs.

Yeah they get you on the "byte versus bit." 8 bits equals 1 byte.

Quote Originally Posted by Komag
    Are you all sure you're being clear about Kb/s vs kb/s? The first is eight times as much info as the second, and will thus give you a lower number. Plus, speed measurers handle them differently, so you won't just get a nice 8x comparison. When you subscribe to cable and they tell you you're ordering 1 megabit connection, that's 1000kb/s, or rougly 128Kb/s
    don't forget the stop and start bit that get tagged on to each byte when sent over a network... essentially making it a factor of 10:1 (instead of 8:1). so if your provider says you've got a 768Kbps (kiloBITS per second) connection, you'll be able to download at speeds up to 76 KBps (KiloBYTES per second). An example is my cable provider : I've got a 5Mbps connection, therefore I can download things at 500KBps (which is nice and speedy: about 1 MB every 2 seconds.)

Service providers will ALWAYS provide you the number which makes it sound like your getting lots of bang for your buck, so they always provide you the Kbps speed, not the KBps speed. Yes the confusion potential is astronomical and they capitalize on the layman's lack of knowledge. Websites that report your connection speed aren't trying to sell you something(most anyway!), so they will give you the speed in whichever units they normally use. Just double check whether it a capital or lower-case B/b.

Still Subjective
    You are quite right Komag. I mean bits per second, or Kilobits per second - Kbps. 128 Kbps is the usual ISDN speed. I have a 512Kbps connection, 1Mbps = 1024Kbps iirc.

You'll know if you have broadband.

sounds like its time to reactivate the cd burning /sharing

like what was done for T2X. It seemed to work ok then.

just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sap'em
    like what was done for T2X. It seemed to work ok then.

just a suggestion.

I sent out several cd's for t2x. I could send some out for this new thing you are talking about that I have read nothing on at all. What exactly is it?

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    It's DROMED in a new form for use with Thief 3 Deadly Shadows.

It's the Thief Deadly Shadows editor with tweaks and enhancements by New Horizon

700 plus Megabytes.

sniff 128k for me...it's OK if you are patient...better than the 28k dialup i used to get...

I just use Get Right for the big downloads and go do something else...

Downloading is a pain in the tail

Not only do i not have broadband, but the best connection i have is at 26400. Downloading is a real pain from here, cause if you click another download you get a idiot page saying you can't download another file screen. I understand and respect download limits, there are jerks out there who would just queue up a thosand files on broadband, but i do use a download manager and it can queue up files and download them in succession. this especially a pain right now cause i've worked all the way down thru the years to calandra's legacy, and the idiots that be made this download available as only like 16 or so files of a split file of 18 meg each. What is with that? Damn it, give it to me as one big file so i can keep it going! As it is, it only good for about 3 hours even with my crappy connection, so i fall asleep, for 8 hours or so, and 5 hours or so of download time is wasted.

There are better ways, i know of sights that have ways of noticing if someone has more than one connection from a single isp, thus enabling you to queue up downloads. And anyone who attempts to download Calendras Legacy without a download manager, even on broadband must be a idiot, so put it up as a single file, not some stupid broken up crap.

Brother Renault has a CD mail service where those who have slow connections can get large FMs mailed out to them on CDs. See this link.

Not only do i not have broadband, but the best connection i have is at 26400. Downloading is a real pain from here, cause if you click another download you get a idiot page saying you can't download another file screen. I understand and respect download limits, there are jerks out there who would just queue up a thosand files on broadband, but i do use a download manager and it can queue up files and download them in succession. this especially a pain right now cause i've worked all the way down thru the years to calandra's legacy, and the idiots that be made this download available as only like 16 or so files of a split file of 18 meg each. What is with that? Damn it, give it to me as one big file so i can keep it going! As it is, it only good for about 3 hours even with my crappy connection, so i fall asleep, for 8 hours or so, and 5 hours or so of download time is wasted.

There are better ways, i know of sights that have ways of noticing if someone has more than one connection from a single isp, thus enabling you to queue up downloads. And anyone who attempts to download Calendras Legacy without a download manager, even on broadband must be a idiot, so put it up as a single file, not some stupid broken up crap.
    Who's a cute widdle newbie? Who's a cute widdle newbie?

Waaa the file is too big...waaa my connection is slow....waaa 16 files....waa I want 100....waaa it's free but not cheap enough....waaa I could get a CD mailed to me but I didn't know that 'cause I got a problem that I can complain about but won't take time to solve it....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

There's actually a good reason for missions like CL to be broken into many separate parts, and that's to minimise the damage when any individual chunk gets corrupted in transit. Sure, your download manager may be smart enough to do regular CRC checks and roll back, but a lot aren't; and there's nothing worse than having to download a 600mb file TWICE on dialup because 10 bytes got messed up in the middle when you resumed the download (like happened to me with T2X).

What you should do is find yourself a download manager that will only download one file at a time and not try to make a billion different connections to speed up the same file. Something like WackGet for example. This will allow you to queue up all 18 and forget about it (until you hit your download limit, that is, at which point just start again tomorrow).