TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New SS2-mission from Christine: Shocking Ruins

Search in the
    spoiler:
    library for a book that you can frob

"Frob" means right mouse click, right?

Ive already read the walkthrough someone mentioned above, so I already tried this, no success.

edit: ok, just found it. It didnt play the cutscenes BTW, dunno why. I watched them with WMP.
    Last edited by Skandalos; 3rd Mar 2006 at 09:01.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNightTerror
    Yup, that was me. I was trying to keep my voice relatively monotone, but I slipped up big time in that log's ending. (My natural voice flucuates more than a guy who fell and landed on one leg on either side of a spike fence. It sounded wrong for that character, but if I remember right, that was the last log I did that day, so I got lazy. )
    I was correct? I thought I was terribly off the track.
    I guessed because I had seen a post describing your voice like it was very young-sounding and when I heard the voice I just put together two and two.

Btw, the voice acting you did was pretty good compared to many others.
    (I really didnt like Hammonds logs, bad audio quality and the accent somehow annoyed me)

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandalos
    "Frob" means right mouse click, right?
    Yes and no.

http://www.clueless.com/jargon3.0.0/frobnicate.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi
    I was correct? I thought I was terribly off the track.
    Nope.

I guessed because I had seen a post describing your voice like it was very young-sounding and when I heard the voice I just put together two and two.
    Was it only that log which gave me away? Or did the others do me in too? Methinks I better see about lowering my voice a lot more for my next part.

Btw, the voice acting you did was pretty good compared to many others.
    Thanks! Most of the acting I did was just fighting to keep the pitch in check, but still.
    She's not a maniac, a raving thing, she just goes a little mad sometimes.
    I'm not suffering from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNightTerror
    Was it only that log which gave me away? Or did the others do me in too? Methinks I better see about lowering my voice a lot more for my next part.

Thanks! Most of the acting I did was just fighting to keep the pitch in check, but still.
    At that log I was wondering, but after listening to the others I was quite sure.

No problem.
    You couldnt imagine how hard it is for (most) teenage boys to keep the pitch in a straight line. So you should feel lucky.

Id love to voice act for a FM, Ponterbee is actually a FC though, a great FC.
    But I lack the hardware, and I dont want some cheap stuff or use a MP3 player with its low quality recording. I want the exact copy of my voice and then create a log-effect, so its not like I was actually talking instead of the log.

(btw, I had to take out a few smilies from your post, there seems to be a maximum...)

At that log I was wondering, but after listening to the others I was quite sure.

You couldnt imagine how hard it is for (most) teenage boys to keep the pitch in a straight line. So you should feel lucky.
    Comforting to know I have as much trouble with my voice as them.

Id love to voice act for a FM, Ponterbee is actually a FC though, a great FC.
    FC?

But I lack the hardware, and I dont want some cheap stuff
    Oh, definitely. I've heard plenty of good voice actors whose voice was ruined by bad equipment. My microphone's not too shabby, pretty good deal for 20 bucks.

or use a MP3 player with its low quality recording.
    Oh boy. Are you talking about MP3 players with built in mikes? Or MP3's with line in support?

(btw, I had to take out a few smilies from your post, there seems to be a maximum...)
    Yeah, 8. I hit it all the time, no worries.

FC stands for "Fan Campaign". I think it is more accurate than "Fan Mission" to describe Ponterbee Station.

I think Im talking about MP3 players with line-in, Im not sure though, I dont own one.

$20 is pretty good deal for how your voice sounded in the logs.
    But Im aiming at something better, not much better though, that would become too expensive to be worth it.

But what about software that can "clean up" recordings? You know, remove certain sounds from the record file or make a voice sound more clear. But for that to work well, one would have to use MOD or MIDI files, which can be tough, since youd have to split various sounds/audio-streams into channels and then work from there.

And I can see why you hit the smilie limit all the time...
    It can be tough for such a nice person as you to have a limit on smilies in one post.

FC stands for "Fan Campaign". I think it is more accurate than "Fan Mission" to describe Ponterbee Station.
    Definitely. There's, what, 9 individual maps all together?

I just realized how badly we're derailing this thread. Check your PMs in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    21 Missions for Thief 2 , I really like Dromed, but UnrealEd hates me
    Christine, have you ever given an interview to Der Spiegel or any of the other magazines? They would love your story. Mother of two most prolific computer game designer in Germany.

The voice acting made hit backspace every time I played a log. I've never heard anything that just grated me so horribly, especially the chick and her unconvincing "omg the stairs are like omg" spiel.

It was seriously horrible

Beyond that, it was a delightful and different romp I much enjoyed, especially for the attention to detail. The Three Ones were cool too. In the upsidedown room I thought I was looking at a rocket table before I realized it was a chandolier.

Do the walkytalkies do anything? They're selectable, and there's batteries around, but I can't interact with them it seems

Also, what was the doll for? I clicked it and it made a noise like the bulkhead switch but didn't do anything beyond that

Quote Originally Posted by Kyloe
    Christine, have you ever given an interview to Der Spiegel or any of the other magazines? They would love your story. Mother of two most prolific computer game designer in Germany.
    I agree. She knows what shes doing when creating such awesome campaigns like Ponterbee Station. And I want to try Shocking Ruins when Im done with Ponterbee.

Quote Originally Posted by AR Master
    The voice acting made hit backspace every time I played a log. I've never heard anything that just grated me so horribly, especially the chick and her unconvincing "omg the stairs are like omg" spiel.
    You probably havent the slightest idea how hard good voice acting is. I dont know but Im pretty sure that many of the voices in christines FM are actually professional actors. The voice that got you grated is just what you get from the average non-pro voice. You wont find many fan missions no matter for which game with such a high level voice acting!

In the upsidedown room I thought I was looking at a rocket table before I realized it was a chandolier.
    Heh, same here.

Also, what was the doll for? I clicked it and it made a noise like the bulkhead switch but didn't do anything beyond that
    The doll sings "mama" in a strange and touching way.

You probably havent the slightest idea how hard good voice acting is. I dont know but Im pretty sure that many of the voices in christines FM are actually professional actors. The voice that got you grated is just what you get from the average non-pro voice. You wont find many fan missions no matter for which game with such a high level voice acting!

Hey thanks

All the voices grated me. Here's a tip for anyone recording anything: The sounds of people eating is like just inserting the sound of an alarm clock going off AHNN AHNN AHNN AHNN AHNN AHNN.

Everything else was unconvincing and poorly acted. The emails especially, Mr. Serious Stern Angry Man Rarg You're a Loose Cannon Soldier. Oh also

"My gahd. I uh,*smack* I joust sew something very... tarfiying. Ah, flating skeleton. Ah hehehehehe"

Like I said, everything else was choice but this, all the voice acting, was like being kicked in the ears with an AIDS filled boot

ZylonBane
    Just to establish a subjective baseline here, what did you think of the voice acting in Ponterbee Station?

Hey thanks
    All the voices grated me.
    Er... what exactly do you expect from a fan mission (as in no one earns any money developing it)?

Just try to do some voice acting yourself, post it here and make us all laugh our asses off.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane
    Just to establish a subjective baseline here, what did you think of the voice acting in Ponterbee Station?

Didn't play it

Just try to do some voice acting yourself, post it here and make us all laugh our asses off.
    Nigga plz
    Last edited by AR Master; 5th Mar 2006 at 02:01.

ZylonBane
    Didn't play it
    Well, that had a note of finality to it.

@ AR-Master:

In my opinion the voice-actors for 'Shocking Ruins' did a wonderful, brilliant job.
    And I think some are even better than the voice-actors of the original game.

I don't know what's wrong with your headphones, speakers or with you... But have you ever heard of 'constructive criticism'?
    It's ok if you tell us what you don't like and why...
    But it's not only what you say, but the way you say it.

If you keep putting all voice-actors down you will never get a SS2-FM again with voice-files.
    If that's what you want... well, then I'm sure you are nearly the only one...
    But then better keep hitting backspace and stop spamming this thread...

Whew! Now I'm much better...

yeah okay

i didnt like something there must be something wrong with me call the internet authorities because thats spam or something oh god my head bbrelkasaldgbsdg

Here:

I didn't like the voice acting. Out of everything else, I'd say that's pretty high fucking praise if that's my only complaint. It physically made me cringe, so I can't listen to it. I explained why- bad acting, EATING NOISES, annoying valley girl schtick, indecipherable accent. They weren't professionals, so hay it's to be expected but I don't have to suck their cocks over it. If you think they did a better job than professional voice actors well, that's your perogative but please, continue to explain how I'm wrong with my opinion, that's some awesome shit right there

what the fuck are you on about VVV
    Last edited by AR Master; 5th Mar 2006 at 11:56.

OMG I believe we made him cry. Yea, he's so sensible. At least when he's taking it, not so much when dishing out, then he's soo cool.

Its so easy dude, if your oh so delicate ears cant bear the slightest unprofessionalism in voice acting, just stay away from fan mods and go PAY for your shit. There you can bitch about whatever grates that highly sensible you in whatever untactful manner you like, np.

ol, ar, ur opinion r wrong

Jeez, calm down, guys.

^^^^^ what the fuck are you on about

Yeah the voice acting was the worst I've ever heard in a fan project of any kind. Not a big surprise when you have TNT and Enchantermon strutting their voice acting goods about.
    For the record, I've done a voiceacting log for Return to the UNN, and I full well know it sucked, which is why I decided to lay off the voice acting until I could do it decently or just give up on it, as opposed to EnchanTNT who quaintly show up in every ss2 campaign.

Its so easy dude, if your oh so delicate ears cant bear the slightest unprofessionalism in voice acting, just stay away from fan mods and go PAY for your shit. There you can bitch about whatever grates that highly sensible you in whatever untactful manner you like, np.
    So what you're saying everyone makes chomping noises, over/underacts and is terrible, not mediocre at voiceacting provided they're not professional.
    That's instantly invalidated by how a good deal of thief FMs in another yonder subforum have decent voiceacting, and none of the actors are professionals. Meaning with a little effort decent actors could be found.

My point was that this was getting like another "We must protect the good and righteous FM from any kind of criticism". I said guys, but looking back, both the posts I was talking about were Skandalos...

Quote Originally Posted by TF
    ^^^^^ what the fuck are you on about

Yeah the voice acting was the worst I've ever heard in a fan project of any kind. Not a big surprise when you have TNT and Enchantermon strutting their voice acting goods about.
    What are you talking about? This thread is about Shocking Ruins

o what you're saying everyone makes chomping noises, over/underacts and is terrible, not mediocre at voiceacting provided they're not professional.
    That's instantly invalidated by how a good deal of thief FMs in another yonder subforum have decent voiceacting, and none of the actors are professionals. Meaning with a little effort decent actors could be found.
    Guess where many of the voiceactors came from.

I really like the voiceacting for Shocking Ruins, but it isn't possible to please everyone. But some comments here are just not fair.
    And I really doubt, that I will find voiceactor for my next mission

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast