TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SSR FM - Through No Vault Of My Own Mar. 18/06

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

[T2] FM (SSR Contest) - Through No Vault Of My Own Mar. 18/06

I finally just finished this one on Unseen, a really nice challenge for someone like me who doesn't usually try to ghost missions, not too hard but not easy either. Technically I didn't really ghost it, I had several level 2 alerts where they were searching for me, but never got spotted so the objective was fulfilled. I still have never found the King's Tomb but the author assured me there really is one - guess I'll save that for the next time through! I promise not to peek in Dromed to find it! Going to have fun and play Rampage next time...

Anyway, I also betatested this mission (quite a bit changed from that first version so this time through was almost like playing a new mission), so if anyone is stuck feel free to ask, unless it's about the King's Tomb! I really love the advanced lockpicking used on the vault although I imagine it may stump some people. Remember to read everything!
    Last edited by Yandros; 8th Apr 2010 at 16:35.
    Death's Cold Embrace - Info and screenshots

Not having much luck here, even with the aid of the recently discovered scroll. I always find myself getting completely stuck when it comes to puzzles involving masses of buttons and levers. Never figured out that huge control panel in "The Inverted Manse" Had to cheat my way past that thing. I'll continue this one later i think, when a few hints have been posted. I love the tunnels BTW.

Is that scroll you mentioned the one on the dead thief under the walkway over the water (early on in the tunnels)? Once you have it, opening the vault is pretty simple. I love how the author accounted for that thief drowning.

Big hint:
    spoiler:
    Ignore the control panel, find the code to get through the door, after looking around for some nearby items.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros
    Is that scroll you mentioned the one on the dead thief under the walkway over the water (early on in the tunnels)? Once you have it, opening the vault is pretty simple. I love how the author accounted for that thief drowning.

Big hint:
    spoiler:
    Ignore the control panel, find the code to get through the door, after looking around for some nearby items.
    1) That's the one, yes.

2) Ahh, haven't found any codes yet, thanks.

Don't let the word "code" mislead you, sluggs. It's more in the nature of instructions. No numbers involved.

Oh! Thanx for the tip NW. This is a rather inventive FM.

What do you mean, NW?
    spoiler:
    There is a number code to get through the sliding door - not the vault door though.

Hmmm, that door opened automagically for me. No code needed.
    spoiler:
    After picking a safe, that is!

Oh, THAT one! Sorry, I thought you meant the big vault door You're quite right about the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by sluggs
    Hmmm, that door opened automagically for me. No code needed.
    spoiler:
    After picking a safe, that is!
    spoiler:
    Indeed, that's another way to get through the door, but it's not recommended when playing on Unseen.

Have you not played NOLF 2? Just watch the beams and make a run for it at the right moment.

Oops, posted this in the wrong thread!

Code? We don't need no stinkin' codes!

Non-Thiefy way to finish the level:

spoiler:
    Simple, open one of the four safes to get the sliding door to open - flashbomb the guards and knock 'em out - then you can do the wall panel thing.

Like I said, not very thiefy - but it gets the level done quickly on a day when there are TWELVE other levels to get through!!

Sure, but like I said before, that's fine on Rampage or Thief, but not on Unseen.

There's no need to play all of them in one day! I'd rather try to explore them a bit more thoroughly.

By the way, I betatested this one and the changes to the green safes were made after testing was completed and this allowed a bug to creep in. You're not supposed to be able to bypass the door that way. To do it correctly, explore more, read lots and find the code for the locked door.

I found a tall rocky area with jutting rocks arranged haphazardly, and an opening at the top. Is this actually climbable?! Seems impossible to me.

Otherwise this has been an excellent mission - definitely a good candidate for winning the contest.

Edit: Okay said area was simpler than I thought - made it up there.

Is the unlit flare in front of the broom supposed to be frobbable?
    Last edited by chis; 18th Mar 2006 at 14:32.

Um, anyone? I presume the unlit flare is supposed to be frobbed and used to unlock the vault, but as I can't pick it up, I can't finish the mission.

Beta test, people! Beta test!

This mission was extensively betatested. The flare has nothing to do with anything.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by chis
    Beta test, people! Beta test!
    The readme says "Thanks to all of my beta testers." Maybe there's another way to get into the vault that you haven't discovered yet...?

Well if there is a third object necessary to unlock the vault that looks like the right shape! Or I haven't found it. And I've been everywhere...

Sent you a PM, chis.

Very good mission so far. More careful exploration of the caves rewards you with additional loot.
    I'm a little stuck, though, and I could use a hint about where I have to look for the number code.

Nightwalker,

Would you send me one too? I'm totally stumped. I know I have the right implements, but don't know in what order to use them.

Thanks!

Eshaktaar - You need Tanner's Journal. If you haven't found it yet, then go to Station 5 and climb up on the rock in the NE corner. There's a hole behind it that you can drop down through. Turn right through the tunnel and you'll come to a dead end. The rock walls have hand hand holds on them that you can use like a ladder. Climb up there and you'll find Tanner and his journal.

PMed you, Slingblade.

Thanks, Nightwalker.
    spoiler:
    I already found this hole and climbed up the rope to find the dropped note above. I completely missed the other path.

Thanks again, Nightwalker. I must be losing my touch! Managed to finish the mission now. Another very good one overall.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast