TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So who has it

Have you tried reinstalling? I think another user mentioned a similar scenario and a reinstall helped.

I would look at heat issues next. Do you have NCQ enabled / disabled? Try turning that off maybe. Latest video card drivers?

I also don't think this game is comparable to far cry or other games as this one is just out the door and I think it is performing many more operations on a scene than some of the other games from years and even months.

I second posting the .ini file, or at least outline the bits you changed and the effects they had. I've been meaning to delve into it, but just haven't had time yet.

Actually, we should start an .ini tweaks thread and sticky it.

(edit: added link)
    Last edited by ignatios; 23rd Mar 2006 at 14:11.

Got it ! Well... Kind of.

Problem is with the "Ext. Shadows". In a particular situation, I went from 11 FPS to 31 FPS just by moving this sliders from the middle to the minimum. I am normally a big fan of shadows, but since the one in Oblivion are as bad as the one in morrowind, I really don't miss them.

Of course, I still think this graphic engine is really bad compared to other games, but at least the game is now playable.

Mine shipped early today, should get it tomorrow (the post is good like that around these parts).

I got it. runs pretty darn smooth on my machine. It detected "High settings" but i turned off self shadows, and turned off grass shadows, then set the res to 1280x1024. Runs pretty darn well.

That said... the game seems to be kind of... empty? I go into places but theres maybe 10 people in the entire city =(

Hmmm... I guess it's not a good thread to talk about this, but does anyone know if the file "RendererInfo.txt" is used for something ? Because what's in there is really not for my card ! I certainly don't have a SLI setup and AFAIK an X800 XL does not support 3.0 shaders. A bad detection could certainly explain a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by Papy
    Got it ! Well... Kind of.

Problem is with the "Ext. Shadows". In a particular situation, I went from 11 FPS to 31 FPS just by moving this sliders from the middle to the minimum. I am normally a big fan of shadows, but since the one in Oblivion are as bad as the one in morrowind, I really don't miss them.

Of course, I still think this graphic engine is really bad compared to other games, but at least the game is now playable.

i will try that tonight!

Actually, the real killer for my card is shadow on grass. The place were I was at 11 FPS was outside with the shadow of a horse and a lot of grass. If I turn off exterior shadows completely I am at 31 FPS, if I leave exterior shadows but turn off shadow on grass I am at 26 FPS. That's probably why I was at 3 FPS against the wolf. There was the shadow of the horse and the shadow of the wolf.

Also, one mistake I made (and one of the reasons I thought the game looked so bad) was to put the texture size option to small when I tried to get a better framerate. The perfomance hit with large textures is minimal, but it looks a LOT better.

Quote Originally Posted by Papy
    Also, one mistake I made (and one of the reasons I thought the game looked so bad) was to put the texture size option to small when I tried to get a better framerate. The perfomance hit with large textures is minimal, but it looks a LOT better.
    good tip! i tried putting it on medium and didn't notice a difference. i think this has to do more with how much RAM your card has... i.e. a card with 256 meg ram should do fine with large textures, whereas a 64 meg card will probably have some problems

i saw a girl at the mall i wanted to do but i couldnt get the persuasion screen to come up

consolitis

I didn't set my hopes too high, having really detested certain aspects of Morrowind, but I find this a lot more fun.

I've spent the whole first part generarlly bumming around: stole a few horses, tried to join the Thieves Guild and failed by killing someone, and eventually it all caught up with me and I got arrested.

So now I'm generally bumming around with the Dark Brotherhood.

It runs fine for me, interiors are lovely and the outside is fine for me, though it gets a little choppy when there are lots of enemies or lots of enemies + water.

It detected me medium settings and the only thing I changed was the tree shadows (on) and the water detail (high).

It still looks lovely, better than TDS and I like the art better than Doom 3, but it's of comparable rendering to them mostly (with much better nature and landscapes obviously).

I was astonished at the quick load times for each area, especially in the world.

Administrator
    I'd be playing now, but unfortunately my copy is sitting at the post office, until I can get it tomorrow morning. Thwarted by Royal Mail...

I searched through about 5 stores to find a copy today, all were sold out. Luckily I eventually found the last copy at a music store which carries a few games. It was the Collector's Edition though, so I was flicking through the Pocket Guide on the train-ride back.

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch
    i saw a girl at the mall i wanted to do but i couldnt get the persuasion screen to come up
    you can't open the persuasion screen on hostile creatures dude

Well I finally got my copy, and it runs reasonably well on my lappy. I've got most of the faders at high or near high, water w/reflections, textures high, and no AA, HDR, or Bloom, all at 1280x800. It gets a little choppy near the hgih altitudes looking down, but it runs like a dream indoors.

Still dissapointed by the performance/visuals tradeoff, but I find myself quite enjoying being a thief in this game

Just got the game today, and whilst initial impressions are good (I always preferred the exploration side of Morrowind), there are several little things which I'm not impressed with (many mentioned above).

Icons on the compass. I'm happy with the self selecting one - but the rest I'd like to switch off.
    Font size. I wear glasses for my poor eyesight, I don't need extra help.
    Zooming in for conversations. Why?
    Menus. Not up to Morrowind. Actually reminds me of Ultima IX. But bigger.
    Selling. An item at a time, unless I'm missing something.
    Loading outside. So they've done a good job with this, spoilt only by the huge text to let me know what it's doing. Without that I wouldn't actually notice.
    The map. Yes Morrowind may have had one which was too detailed, this goes completely the opposite way. Major landmarks could make it.
    Hot keys. Nine and zero exist too.
    Customise controls. Again, am I missing this, but I really want to turn off the mouse wheel giving me 3rd person.

There are already mods to fix some of the items on your list, makes the game much better already
    The Keep for Thief 1 and 2 FMs, Shadowdark for Thief 3 and Dark Mod FMs

Quote Originally Posted by Arondil
    Customise controls. Again, am I missing this, but I really want to turn off the mouse wheel giving me 3rd person.
    Options menu. I put mine on Tab.

I'll try and check those out sometime Komag.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPendragon
    Options menu. I put mine on Tab.
    I've found that now, and have changed the view key on the keyboard, but I want to completely remove a mouse button (and that I can't do).