TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: itt we post .ini tweaks

itt we post .ini tweaks

I found this one over at the Oblivion forums. The gist is that by lowering the grass density, you can dramatically increase your frames per second (and even increase the grass distance). You sacrifice a bit of the lushness of the world (no more seas of grass swaying in the wind), but folks on the lower end of the requirements scale might appreciate the change.

Also this thread which is about improving graphical quality.

Unofficial Technical FAQ thread

Post more as you find 'em, d00ds.
    Last edited by ignatios; 24th Mar 2006 at 07:53.

and please, if sombody figures out how to disable the "wobble" on the 3rd person camera, PLEASE let me know. more info in this thread:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/i...owtopic=278151

It gave me a few extra frames...so if you've already got a computer that's up to spec this'll help out tremendously.

How about a quality boost? Far Away Lands may be preferrable to fog, but it'd be nice if their texture wasn't the size of something a 3Dfx card would run.

spamsk8r mentions increasing the draw distance for textures in this post. I can't try it right now (being at work) but I'll definitely be trying it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncia
    How about a quality boost? Far Away Lands may be preferrable to fog, but it'd be nice if their texture wasn't the size of something a 3Dfx card would run.
    i tried enabling 16x Anisotropic filtering. strangely, you can see the dividing line between where the textures look good, and where they look crap. it's about 1/2 way across your field of view

I think thats what you are looking for :

My Documents->My Games->Oblivion->Oblivion.ini

uGridsToLoad=5 (set it to 7 or 8)

That'll improve the looks of faraway terrain, at the cost of performance of course.

I didn't see any difference when I tried it (and yes I edited the proper .ini file).

Maybe I was looking too far into the distance?

Also, could you post some comparison screens?

One thing that would be great is if tweaks could be divided into processor tweaks and video card tweaks. For example, I have an athlon64 3000+ with an X800 XL and, in this case, the processor is clearly the bottleneck. Going from 800x600, no AA, no bloom to 1280x768, 4xAA and bloom cost me only about 3 or 4 FPS. So any tweaks that would ease the video card are not really useful with this configuration.

Is it possible, for example, to stop the grass from moving to see if it has an impact on the framerate ?

Quote Originally Posted by Papy
    One thing that would be great is if tweaks could be divided into processor tweaks and video card tweaks. For example, I have an athlon64 3000+ with an X800 XL and, in this case, the processor is clearly the bottleneck. Going from 800x600, no AA, no bloom to 1280x768, 4xAA and bloom cost me only about 3 or 4 FPS. So any tweaks that would ease the video card are not really useful with this configuration.

Is it possible, for example, to stop the grass from moving to see if it has an impact on the framerate ?
    it was the bloom that decreased your fps, not the res. i can run 2048x1536 at the exact same speed i can run 800x600 ....

I doubt you can stop the grass from moving, but you can definitely decrease the amount of grass you come across. The first tweak in the first post covers it; have you tried it already?

Quote Originally Posted by ignatios
    I doubt you can stop the grass from moving, but you can definitely decrease the amount of grass you come across. The first tweak in the first post covers it; have you tried it already?
    i tried it but it didn't seem to visably affect the amount of grass or the performance.... ?? maybe i did something wrong

Make sure it's the right .ini:

My Documents --> My Games --> Oblivion --> Oblivion.ini

The .ini in the game folder itself is the default one and only read if your personalised .ini is missing.

In my case, Bloom do not have a big performance hit. For me, the problem is clearly the processor. Unfortunately, I can't afford an FX60 and I don't think going from a 3000+ to a 3800+ is worth it. I could buy a dual core but, from what I read, Oblivion do not use the second core.

As for the grass, turning it off completely give me only 5 FPS. So making it less dense does not make that much of a difference. If I turn off grass AND trees I go to 30-35 fps, but then... I did buy Oblivion mainly to look at beautiful graphics.

Anyway, I now find those 15-25 FPS not as bad as before and since I turned off "shadow on grass" there is no fighting a wolf at 3 FPS anymore (in rare cases I can go as low as 10 FPS but it is still playable). Also, after a few hours, I'm now used to object poping out not far from me and I don't make a fixation on distant texture anymore. I guess I needed some time to adapt to the game (i.e. lower my expectations) and, yes, I now find the game is beautiful.

Oblivion definitely benefits from more than one core; an XBox 360 has three CPU cores and you can bet they're all used. A dev confirmed this in one of the FAQ threads on the TES forums (the big hardware one which I can't find at the moment).

As for how much benefit it derives from other multi-core architectures, I've read varying reports, but apparently it's better on ATI than Intel right now.

Oblivion definitely benefits from more than one core
    Ok... Now I'm interested ! The only thing I read was someone who said he run Oblivion in window mode while checking his processor usage. He said that the second core was not used at all. Is there anyone here with a dual core processor who can shed some light on this ?

As for how much benefit it derives from other multi-core architectures, I've read varying reports, but apparently it's better on ATI than Intel right now.
    You mean AMD, right ?

Make sure it's the right .ini:

My Documents --> My Games --> Oblivion --> Oblivion.ini

The .ini in the game folder itself is the default one and only read if your personalised .ini is missing.

wow!!! well i edited the one in the game directory .... so basically i am stupid! i will try this when i get home

Ok... Now I'm interested ! The only thing I read was someone who said he run Oblivion in window mode while checking his processor usage. He said that the second core was not used at all.
    programmers haven't figured out how to effectively utilize it, apparently

You mean AMD, right ?
    haha, I do! Cheers.

I've got a dual-core system so I'll check it out.

The problem with the dual core hype is the development it takes to use such things. Its not the same as just calling a new thread. The cores have different registers and especially when dealing with strings and sharing data between the two, it is a bitch to program for that.

While dual core will definitly make it faster if you are running two separate intensive apps at the same time, for gaming it really isnt as big of a factor, which is why the fx57 is still faster than the amd X2 in most cases.

That said on my AMD64 3500+ with 2gb ram, 6800gt,

Performance is pretty crumby and like it has been noticed before the resolution affects the performance not at all. Something deeper is going on here. Lots of tweak threads on elderscrolls.com but I haven't found much that works yet.

One thing to definitly try is disabling VSync in the launcher. This really clamps the FPS but the screen doesnt "tear"

Then again why bother with anti-tearing options if the game is a slideshow anyway =)

Originally posted by Gavin Carter here:

Oblivion will absolutely benefit from a multi-processor or multi-core PC architecture. These improvements have largely been driven by our optimizations for the Xbox 360 hardware. We have built a dynamic thread management system that manages processor load by our specific direction and by priorities. Portions of physics, AI, loading, audio, and rendering tasks can all be moved to different threads to keep the overall load balanced. The net result for the end user is a smoother experience.
    No doubt there are plenty of improvements to be made, but by the sounds of things, it mainly stays on one core and delegates tasks to the other one as needed.

The only thing I read was someone who said he run Oblivion in window mode while checking his processor usage. He said that the second core was not used at all.
    Then he's doing something wrong, probably not running a 64-bit OS. I just got done playing for the evening on my AMD dual core 4800+, and both cores were being used at about 50% each when I quit. Given that I was in an interior space at that point, I'd bet that they were both nearly pegged when I was running around outside.

Oh yeah, here's a handy tip: It's not a good idea to jump into an Oblivion gate with a level 1 character. Found that out the hard way.

Administrator
    I seem to be doing fairly well on the other side of a gate at level 1 -
    spoiler:
    just a bunch of stunted scamps and the odd dangerous spiky plant behind the one in front of the Kvatch gates

Yeah, I did it when I was level 2.

Unfortunately, I was a marksman thief mage and my bow broke half the way through... the level of improvisation that followed would've made MacGuyver envious.