TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SSR Contest Results!

Desperately Dodgy Moderator

SSR Contest Results!

Drumroll please...

Here's everything you wanted to know! Who made which mission, and how many points each mission received!

Congrats to Eshaktaar!
    His mission Keyhunt received the most points, by a considerable margin (and I doubt that surprises too many people).

NA/NA% = Number of points, and percentage of total NA points, the mission received from non-authors (those who don't make fan missions).
    A/A% = Number of points, and percentage of total A points, the mission received from authors (those who make fan missions).
    Totals = Number of points, and percentage of total points, the mission received from all voters combined. This determines the final placing of the missions.

The Top Five Missions:
    1. Keyhunt by Eshaktaar
    2. Through No Vault Of My Own by Brother Renault
    3. The Night Shift by Ottoj55
    4. Cryptic Cravings by The_Dude
    5. Slow But Steady Progress by VladMidnight

Honorable Mention: The Auldale Chess Tournament by SlyFoxx

More info, including a downloadable version of the Excel spreadsheet I used to tally votes, can be found at The Weary Taffer (in my sig), to be updated momentarily.
    Last edited by Yandros; 19th Apr 2006 at 14:35.
    Death's Cold Embrace - Info and screenshots

Congratulations Eshaktarr! I had a feeling this would be the case. The master smoked us boys and girls!

I thought Payback would have scored higher than it did. The game play was basic but the eye candy was through the roof! Well done N74!

EDIT: And thanks goes to Nightwalker for doing a beta run of "Chess Tourny"...I forgot to update my read-me before I sent it off to Yandros. : I could have probably improved my entry a bit before submission but after three solid weeks I was pretty burnt out. I just hope you all got an hour of good taffing fun and a chuckle or two out of the readables.

The chess book quest item was a real game. It was the "Kasparov vs. The World" match held a few years ago. I guess only true chess fiends would have gotten my little joke "Casper vs. Mundo" (mundo is spanish for world). Kudos again to Nightwalker who proofread the entire text of that book. Might be the longest readable in Thief history.
    Last edited by SlyFoxx; 17th Apr 2006 at 16:18.

A BIG congratulation to Eshaktaar from me
    The only "bad" thing is there are only 58 people that votede TAFFERS
    Her is the way ME/MY SELF and I votede
    1)--The Nightshift
    2)--Cryptic Cravings
    3)--Through No Vault of My Own
    4)--The Auldale Chess Tournament
    5)--Keyhunt
    6)--Payback
    7)--The Fever
    8)--Shadows of the Past
    9)--Slow But Steady Progress
    10)-An Adventure in Eastport
    11)-Choose Your Own Adventure
    12)-February
    13)-Complications

And her is the result of the Contest in a bit more orderly way
    1)--Keyhunt
    2)--Through No Vault of My OwnThe
    3)--Nightshift
    4)--Cryptic Cravings
    5)--Slow But Steady Progress
    6)--The Auldale Chess Tournament
    7)--The Fever
    8)--Payback
    9)--Shadows of the Past
    10)-Complications
    11)-February
    12)-An Adventure in Eastport
    13)-Choose Your Own Adventure

(time to light me up)

P.S. and a big thanks to Yandros for this contest
    Last edited by Nielsen74; 17th Apr 2006 at 16:19.

Congratulations, Ehaktaar

I'm also surprized ;-) Till the last moment I lived with the thought that Jason Otto would win the contest.
    I'm also surprised from the authors. I thought that Audale Chess Tournament was made by Vlad Midnight, not Slyfoxx, and I didn't suppose that February was made by TheNightTerror and Slow but steady progress by Vlad Midnight.
    As for people with low rated missions, Night Terror, Drysils Chosen ( and me, of course ) I would say - don't give up boys! Your missions were also very enjoyable and fun to play and I liked them!

http://www.thief-theheaven.info/

I added the results as soon as I could, Yandros. Later, if you want, I will make reviews of my favourite missions.
    Last edited by Bulgarian_Taffer; 17th Apr 2006 at 16:43.

Well here's the breakdown that I did. I thought my entry would have done better than it did. But then again, trying to judge your own work is difficult and dubious at best. The first five were my picks in order...the rest are just listed at random.

Story/GamPly/Archit/Tech/Space/Gut Score/Real Avg.

Keyhunt...... 6 7 8 8 6 7 (7.00)

Payback..... 4 6 9 5 7 7 (6.20)

The Night Shift....5 7 8 7 9 7 (7.20)

Through No Vault..7 7 5 6 7 6 (6.40)

Slow But Steady....5 5 5 9 6 5 (6.00)

Fever...................6 5 4 7 6 5 (5.60)

Adventure Eastport.3 3 3 5 4 3 (3.60)

Choose own...........1 2 2 6 2 2 (2.60)

Complications..........4 4 3 7 5 4 (4.60)

Cryptic Cravings.......7 3 5 6 6 4 (5.40)

February.................5 5 5 5 5 4 (5.00)

Shadows of the past..6 6 6 6 5 5 (5.80)

Auldale Chess Tourny.. 7 7 7 6 9 7 (7.20)

Oh yeah...the readables in CC were very funny. I liked the part about the Haunt not being able to do anything because his prey had jumped upon a table! I about split a gut when I read that!
    Last edited by SlyFoxx; 17th Apr 2006 at 16:50.

I really enjoyed the Audale Chess tournament. Unfortunately, it was too easy for me and I thought there are bugs, but overall, a good mission.
    BTW... are there any missions ( except mine ) that are a first attempt of making a Thief 2 fan mission?

If you look a The Weary Taffer youŽl see that Brother Renault (Through No Vault of My Own) and VladMidnight (Slow But Steady Progress) also are first time release authors.

\o/

Wow, I really wasn't expecting that. A big thank you to the voters and to Yandros for hosting the contest! Through No Vault of My Own was my favourite, actually, but I was almost sure it was John D's mission. Congrats to Brother Renault for his great debut.

There's a second bonus objective in Keyhunt, by the way, and apparently nobody has found it so far. Admittedly, the way to activate it is a bit abstruse

There's a second bonus objective in Keyhunt,
    Arrarahhhggh...you just had to do that, didn't you!

I'll dive back in later tonight.

Congratulations, Ehaktaar it was a great fm.
    To you to Brother Renault, the gameplay of your fm was outstanding.
    Thanks to everyone who entered the contest and Yandros for holding it!

Congratualtions Eshaktaar! Key hunt was beautiful!

Thanks to everyone who participated!

Congratualtions Eshaktaar!

I just knew this was yours.

And congrats to all the authors....someday I hope to join the fold and contests like this are quite the encouragement. I'm just amazed how much can be done with just the basics.

I'm astounded that Through No Vault Of My Own didn't win (it certainly deserved to). I just can't believe it was a debut mission!

Well done to Brother Renault and Eshaktaar.

First of all: congratulations to all contestants and of course the winner. You all gave me a wonderfull weekend. A special applause goes to Brother Renault and VladMidnight for their impressive debut missions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshaktaar
    There's a second bonus objective in Keyhunt, by the way, and apparently nobody has found it so far. [...]
    Don't be too sure about that.

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered
    Congratulations Eshaktaar!

The first four were also my favourite four, not exacly in that order.....anyway I was veeeery undecided, too many good missions.

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say...thanks for not voting! Seems the missions for the contest have been DL'd between 500-700 times. Each author busted a nut to make a mission. Now I know many might not speak english or know about the contest...but really folks...~8-10% voting turnout. This is a community and we ALL need to do our part. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just pissing into the wind.

[/rant]

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx
    I'd just like to take this opportunity to say...thanks for not voting!
    Your welcome Heck I made one of the entries and didnt even take part in the playing/voting.

Noticed a 9 on my tech there Slyfoxx, that was my main focus. However a 5 on story in which I should have gotten a 1

When I saw this I was up then down then up.
    Cool 5th
    oh, only 8%
    but wait, I "beat" 8 other entrants

Its strange being called a new author with over four years experiance.

Ive wondered alot during the past weeks if my two updates would hurt my voting. Since I technically had more time to work on it. Thought I might get me disqualified or something.
    Had to have dropped a few spots on at least one vote due to it being buggy at first. Then again he/she wouldnt vote for me at all in that matter. Actaully Im higher that I thought I would have gotten as it is anyway.
    Last edited by Vlad Midnight; 17th Apr 2006 at 21:19.

I justed wanted to pipe in and say congrats on a contest well done! I didn't have a chance to play any of them, but it sounds like some great missions have been added to the community repertoire (sp?)

Wait, the math is not making sense here.
    4+27+0+1+20+3+20+55+40+15+12+23+50=270 author points
    1+2+3+4+5=15 points per author
    270/15=18 authors not (13-1(me))x15=180 like I thought

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say...thanks for not voting! Seems the missions for the contest have been DL'd between 500-700 times. Each author busted a nut to make a mission. Now I know many might not speak english or know about the contest...but really folks...~8-10% voting turnout. This is a community and we ALL need to do our part. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just pissing into the wind.

[/rant]
    i did not vote...yes, i was one that dl'd every single one of them, but did not vote!!! however, i did not finish most of them in time to vote, so i did not think it would be fair to vote on some and not the others.

However, there is no pissing in the wind!!! it landed right where it was supposed to!!

BTW...congratulations to everyone!! i enjoyed what i did finish....some were a bit too hard for me, but i was very impressed with all the work...

mickey70
    my congratulations to all; personally i enjoyed nearly every fm in the contest. and i'm only mildly surprised at the low voter turnout, kind of a long-standing tradition for a lot of folks, least in the states- turns out every vote did matter!

and the top five were also my top five, though cryptic cravings and through no vault of my own were switched.

Quote Originally Posted by Eshaktaar
    Wow, I really wasn't expecting that. A big thank you to the voters and to Yandros for hosting the contest! Through No Vault of My Own was my favourite, actually, but I was almost sure it was John D's mission. Congrats to Brother Renault for his great debut.
    I agree, No Vault was my personal top pick. It had the most in depth and cohesive story line, and the most varied gameplay (how can you best offering both Rampage with all those fire arrows and Unseen with a forced ghost?) I now look forward to playing every mission Brother Renault makes in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Midnight
    Wait, the math is not making sense here.
    4+27+0+1+20+3+20+55+40+15+12+23+50=270 author points
    1+2+3+4+5=15 points per author
    270/15=18 authors not (13-1(me))x15=180 like I thought
    "Authors" = people who make missions in general, not just the 13 people who made the missions in the contest. And I also look forward to playing more of your missions, Vlad! Go on and finish another one already!

[/rant]
    Just a point about voter turnout in Komag's contests (of the ones where he gives that info at The Keep):
    Contest 2 - 36 votes
    Contest 3 - 38 votes
    Contest 4 - 50 votes

So we beat all three of those... not that bad really...

Congrats to Esh and to all the entrants! These were really fun levels!

I can't remember which I voted as the top, but I remember both Keyhunt and Slow But Steady being my favorites!

Congratulations all, and especially Esh and the other top 5.
    I finished all the missions unfortunately on the day *after* the deadline for voting, so couldn't vote, but the results largely matched my results too so it wouldn't have affected much.

4 of the top 5 I thought were what I thought, too, only I would have put Fever as #5 (just edging over SbSP) because there was something about its ambience that just struck a chord. It reminded me a lot of Gaetane's Emilie Victor; and of course the ending was delightfully subversive in a Deceptive Perceptions kind of way.

A few notes...

I actually killed all 4 of the patrol haunts with my blackjack in Cryptic Cravings! I just circled and bopped repeatedly for each one ... because I was getting so annoyed at having to hide from them every pass.

No Vault of its Own was the best story by far IMO, and the only reason I didn't think it edged out Keyhunt was that there just wasn't quite enough gameplay to match the very excellent story ... but even that's not entirely true because it had great gameplay ... I honestly think the size restrictions couldn't allow full justice to the idea and things were a little cramped. Give this one some more room to breathe and it would shine even more. I also loved the final vault puzzle and the end-game!

I screwed up the ending of Nightshift because I finally broke open all the wooden doors with my sword with impatience rather than use Benny's key, which I found a little later, so I think I broke the logical flow. Right after I left suddenly the lights turned on inside the endroom and I heard "what the" and the game ended ... so I still have no idea how it was supposed to actually end!

I agree Payback was a beaut and think it's score doesn't fully reflect how elegant it was, probably because the gameplay was standard.

Thanks for the goodtimes everybody!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast