TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thief 1/2 Soundtrack

I just love this one.
    Last edited by Mighty Hammer; 19th Jun 2007 at 09:57.

By request of one single fan...

The Sword and The Haunted Cathedral/RttHC). The first one could need a little fine tuning, but the second sounds quite good, but is not only made with the missions's sounds but also some extern SFX, something I'd consider worthwhile.

Since we're still busy (even with some Thief related stuff) and my assistant and technical advisor is not a thievy fanatic, some time might pass before there will be a complete soundtrack.

Thx

Love it love it love it...

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    By request of one single fan...

The Sword and The Haunted Cathedral/RttHC). The first one could need a little fine tuning, but the second sounds quite good, but is not only made with the missions's sounds but also some extern SFX, something I'd consider worthwhile.

Since we're still busy (even with some Thief related stuff) and my assistant and technical advisor is not a thievy fanatic, some time might pass before there will be a complete soundtrack.
    These are much appreciated...thank you, thank you!

Thanks a lot

Since the discussion is on again and I don't want to pull Aja's thread into a slightly wrong direction, I am resurrecting this one: AWAKE!

I'd like to hear your suggestions if you would give us the permission to decorate our tracks for a possible Thief Gold Soundtrack with some small (and never intrusively) SFX (like we did in HC/RttHC) or if you would lapidate us with the book of canon in your hands, should we try to do so. I'm thinking of a very limited use of those additional sounds (even less than in HC, which was an experiment), but a lot of schema files just contain too few audio files so that the single tracks could turn out quite boring.

My suggestion (and what I plan to do) with the missions that have too few files to make a real track is to integrate them into other levels. For example, in T2, the 'Ambushed' mission only really has one new audio section, that lasts for maybe 30 seconds. Rather than make a whole new track, it would be easy to add it into another level that might share a similar theme.

That's something we have done before, but we/I don't want to do it too often since it's somehow changing the structure, plot, whatever you call it like, too much. Bafford and Ramirez, as I mentioned before, are too similar as that we could make two different tracks, but the rest should be rather variable. It's more those other SFX I'm worrie about...a little...well, I could just not care after all.

Sorry for this second post, but I hope I have something to counter it:
    We're done with "The Golden Soundtrack", as I called the album we made during the last weeks. Almost the entire work (including: flying through the missions with DromEd, searching and arranging all the audio files, removing the noise without making it sound like an underwater radio, extracting Garrett and some SFX from a couple of cutscenes etc. etc.) was done by Child of Karras aka JayB (the guy responsible for the sounds enhancement pack). To avoid too much text without pretty little pictures:

(stones not included )

This 110MB file... contains our soundtrack for Thief: The Dark Project Gold. It is app. 81 minutes long and so barely fits on a CD (but it works for sure; I have one on my bedside table). It contains tracks for all the missions (except for the Keeper training which features no interesting music) plus a few tracks from the cutscenes where there was interesting music and we (which always means: Child of Karras; in fact I merely gave intelligent advice ) were/was able to extract Garrett's voice from. That means if there is still someone out there who can deliver some usable material, we would of course re-work this big thing and then split it into two CDs. But for now it means that you have a whole CD full of good old Thief soundtrack (I recommend listening to it in the dark ). It also includes two pdf files for the German and English covers, inlays and CD labels, if you'd like to use them.

Instructions:
    The zip file contains a giant mp3 which is invisibly split into 23 tracks via track markers. There is a cue sheet included which gives e.g. WinAmp (with the right plug-in) and CD burning programs like Nero the ability to play/burn it as single tracks. However, due to the 80 minutes limit, the tracks often blend into each other. We could deliver single mp3s, but they would be longer than 81 minutes and our goal was to get a CD for listening to it in the car or while reading a book near the fireplace etc...

I think I forgot some parts, but I (and the Child of Karras, too) will be here to answer any questions.

For the German taffers: Sobald hier ein brauchbarer Server aufgelistet ist, gilt alles auch für euch; ich werde das bei Eidos noch einmal in ähnlicher Größe ankündigen.
    Last edited by Beleg Cúthalion; 18th Feb 2008 at 05:17.

The Architect
    Fantastic. Downloading now. Expect a news post on The Circle and file mirrors.

I will, of course, comment more once I've had a listen.

And consider this a very enthusiastic vote to also give us single track versions! Please! And howabout that CD art so we can make our own?

Barely! That's what I was looking for. Thank you; making single mp3s will take some time I guess; I promised the Child of Karras two weeks of holidays before we experimentally try to translate the TDS sound files into German...

The only CD art that is not from TtC is this one which I posted here some time ago.
    So, good night everyone.

The Architect
    This download is going to take around four hours. Is there any other way you can get it online? Rapidshare for example?

The only CD art that is not from TtC is this one which I posted here some time ago.
    And I missed it! I've been wanting to get my hands on that very images for years! Thanks!

I'm currently uploading it to a fast server. I told Beleg to upload it there, but he again had his own head. If your download isn't above 25%, please stop it and wait for half an hour.

Edit: So here's the fast download link.
    Last edited by Child Of Karras; 17th Feb 2008 at 18:13.

I just downloaded it and got a WinRar error message, I tried to play and move the file but everytime a window pops up saying thet the file is damaged. Anyone else having this problem?

The Architect
    He probably posted it before it was done uploading. I just lost 'net connection so for the 4 hour download got killed at 70%. Time to try the other.

Strange, my download took about 25 minutes with 110mb downloaded, so I thought it is complete. Whats the original file size?

The Architect
    115,891,548 bytes. Mine works fine. Uploading!

Now it worked, it is still only 110mb big with the fast download link but.....

Just awesome work guys, I was amazed when I first played Thief 1, the ambient music was just awesome and now I can listen to them outside the game all day long! Thanks, I really respect your work!

Clearinghouse
    Downloading NOW!!!

Fantastic!!! thank you very very much for this great effort. All thief fans will cherish this gesture. You've done an excellent job.

Please tell me that a) you will make a similar thief 2 composition, and b) that you might release a higher encoding version (320 VBR?).

Thank you very much again.

The Architect
    Look guys, the soundtrack made a new member register.

Welcome, mr.papaya!

We are very, very grateful. Thank you, JayB and Beleg. I'm going to gift wrap the CD and present it to some of my friends.

I believe this file would be most suitable for BitTorrent distribution, wouldn't you think? How would we go about that?

--
    Larris
    played SS2 co-op seriously for the first time tonight. Whee!

haha. is that so rare an occasion? a long forgotten community? i don't follow so close frankly, but i'm a huge thief fan and for god sake - somebody needs to make another thief game!!! if not here so whom???

i'm gonna be joining the game industry shortly, tho, so i hope i will be able to contribute. amen to a (good) thief 4.

and again - this is like best ambient bit ever. "join us now!! hehehe". brilliant. better audio quality please?

The Architect
    New members register every day, but it's usually to ask for help - either tech or hints. I just wanted to give JayB an extra pat on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.papaya View Post
    better audio quality please?
    I think this is about the best quality we're ever going to get, lest some mysterious developer should leak Brosius' original files. Remember that this is all made from the clips shipped with the game. No 320kbps files anywhere in sight there, rather the opposite.

The Child of Karras has actually cleaned up the originals and removed a lot of noise, I gather. We're lucky to even have 192kbps.

By the way, Beleg&Child of Karras, I was surprised that there were no informational readmes included in the .zip. You deserve to boast of yourselves, boys! Why don't you write a small piece describing your work?

And as yet an afterthought maybe instructions for using .cue files might be in order as well, I don't really know how popular they are these days.

--
    L.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast