TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678131823 ... LastLast

Thread: The Inverted Manse: Undead Thief 2 FM (April 2, 2001)

Sledge

SPOILERS

Originally posted by Viper6:

Hints/Tips needed.

Near the beginning of the mission is a hole to rope into with a "Tar Bomb". What's it used for?

It's a bomb that explodes on impact and damages stuff.

Also near the beginning is a Weapons Research Lab, w/ security device on wall. Where's the clue on what the combination is?

I put a brief note about this in the readme. There are 2 different hints on each of the respective difficulties scattered somewhere in the factory and church. It's just an extra... not necessary at all.

Mission objective is to steal Pagan Tome of Spells. Where is it?

It's in a different place than on Cutpurse. It sounds like you've almost found it from the questions below.

Three stones. Stones appear to be gotten relatively easily. Grab it, & run. Killing the guys guarding them, much less making off with their respective heads, is another matter. Suggestions?

The last words of the ghost you meet down there should give you a hint for each one (I'll post here if they're hard to understand). Also, although they're hard to see, there is a plaque at the entrace to each of the 3 areas that has a little info on the guardians in the form of a riddle or rhyme.

Where the stones are is a ladder down a tunnel, a river of lava, two posts with frobbable objects on them, a burric on the other side. There's a tunnel that leads to the outside on this side of the lava. Is this the exit/endgame, or is there more I need to do here?
    Again, the words of the ghost should help here. Also, take a look at that new objective you get after talking to him very carefully. And yes, that is a "quick" exit once everything else is done.

About the fps: I'm currently investigating a way to improve it. I should also have that alternate version out early next week.

------------------
    =======================
    T2X Level Design Lead

Cult of the Resurrection for Thief 1 and The Inverted Manse for Thief 2 now available for download

Viper6

Thanks,

Playing "Cutpurse" now. Game is different!
    Starting position changes, open doors/grates in Warrior are now closed, & vice versa. Screen is normal though.

In Cathedral, basement door & upstairs door are locked. No keys yet, and lockpicks won't open 'em. Can't break door down with sword, either. Deliberate? Or do I need to hunt for keys?

I'll unzip and read/listen to files. Couldn't hear ghost too well.

Holy Shit Sledge!! You got some mission here!!!

Sledge

Cutpurse is geared towards exploration, so you gotta hunt for keys. I'll have that version soon so you can play warrior style... if I remember right from back in the days of Cult, I know you like to kill everything Viper

------------------
    =======================
    T2X Level Design Lead

Cult of the Resurrection for Thief 1 and The Inverted Manse for Thief 2 now available for download

Viper6

Kill everything? Moi?

Actually, it depends on when I'm playing. On weekends, I get curious and like to explore. I have a lot more patience to play in sneak mode, and no ambush sites, swordplay, or sniper work.

During the week after work, I'll leave the loot, go in search & destroy mode, when everything that walks, creeps, or crawls is dead, I put them all in one big pile, then go get enough loot to finish the mission. Great stress reliever! You've heard of Lytha Style. Well, this is Viper Style. Ha. Ha.

Ethne

Help! Help!

Can someone help me with the code on the vault? Just a hint maybe... because it will take me forever to try every combination possible with 26 letters and 10 numbers...YIKES! Is there somewhere there is a hint perhaps that I have missed?

------------------
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Viper6

Finished mission on Cutpurse. Framerate was good, but it looks like you had to cut about a third of the level out to do it.

Going back to Warrior. Any help out there in whacking guardians of the stones, so I can bring the nice ghost his heads?

Anybody figured out the Weapons Lab access codes yet?

Sledge

Originally posted by Ethne:
    Help! Help! Can someone help me with the code on the vault? Just a hint maybe... because it will take me forever to try every combination possible with 26 letters and 10 numbers...YIKES! Is there somewhere there is a hint perhaps that I have missed?
    You gotta look at the readme dude. There are 2 different hints for each level of difficulty that ya play. The safe isn't necessary, just kind of a reward for those who play the mission more than once. I'm not gonna give out the code outright, but if you have trouble finding the hints I can tell you where they're located.

------------------
    =======================
    T2X Level Design Lead

Sledge

Just a quick fyi: I may not be able to effectively split the mission afterall without a few concessions in quality, but I'm pretty sure I found the cause of the framerate slowdown and will be fixing it promptly. I should have a final version out in a few days that takes care of the framerate problem in Warrior and corrects a bunch of little mistakes.

------------------
    =======================
    T2X Level Design Lead

[This message has been edited by Sledge (edited April 08, 2001).]

Muzman

*raises hand for testing on a slow-ass video card, if necessary*

Gonzo

I love the undead!!!
    This is what Thief 2 needed really bad.

------------------
    "I despise you all....
    And I dont even know you yet."

Sledge

Originally posted by Viper6:
    Finished mission on Cutpurse. Framerate was good, but it looks like you had to cut about a third of the level out to do it.

Actually it's a trade-off... you can get into the church on cutpurse but not in the other two settings, and you can get into the lower manse in the other 2 settings, but not into the church.

Going back to Warrior. Any help out there in whacking guardians of the stones, so I can bring the nice ghost his heads?

Look for the plaques at the head of each of the 3 areas where the guardians are... they have hints. Email me if you have trouble with any one of them in particular.

Anybody figured out the Weapons Lab access codes yet?
    Heh heh, sorry Viper. Can't give that out here I can give you the hint locations though...

------------------
    =======================
    T2X Level Design Lead

Eslington

I... Love this level...

I love the new weapons, I love the plot, I love the atmosphere, I love the new enemies (But not *THAT* way, because that would be just... ick) and I loved the puzzles.

I've never been more frightened when playing a game and the amount of times I screamed as a zombie jumped up or a haunt chased me...

I played in Rouge and got the secret first time from the two clues. (One of the clues made me laugh out loud. ^_^) For those of you who haven't got it yet, I hope you keep trying. It is *SO* worth it.

Say, are we going to see a sequel for this?

Eslington, who loved CotR as well by the way.

------------------
    Eslington's Fanfic MiSTings.

TheCapedPillager

Can anybody tell me where I can gat this mission with resume support. Download accelerator isn't coming up when I get it from fileplanet.

Spitter

Dunno if this is old news:

SPOILERS BELOW

The reason for slowdowns on some computers in explained below.

Sledge, a fine mission you have! I now remember why The Haunted Cathedral was so scary the first time. But, a bug persists: your burrick-rider slows the game down considerably on some machines. On my machine (P2-333, Riva TNT2 Ultra, 98 Mb RAM) my framerate probably dropped somewhere around 2. No kidding. This is quite far from playable, but I managed to finish the level in Warrior-mode (this bug is only in Warrior). The slowing ends when I kill the burrickrider, so I believe the bug is due to some heavy S&R firing.

------------------
    A malfunction! -- A brother of Karras. -- Dangerous conditions!

Geller's Pride screenshots. For Thief 1, ETA - When It's Done (tm)

HunterByNite

A work of talent...high-calibre talent too, I must say

Definitely worth the download!

Damnit! You guys just made me buy a new graphic card so that I can play in Warrior mode! Well, there goes my rent...

------------------
    It May Be Time For Me To Move Along Now...Don't Wanna Wear Out My Welcome.

Sledge

Originally posted by Spitter:
    But, a bug persists: your burrick-rider slows the game down considerably on some machines. On my machine (P2-333, Riva TNT2 Ultra, 98 Mb RAM) my framerate probably dropped somewhere around 2. No kidding. This is quite far from playable, but I managed to finish the level in Warrior-mode (this bug is only in Warrior). The slowing ends when I kill the burrickrider, so I believe the bug is due to some heavy S&R firing.
    That's interesting... it was one of the things I was considering. There were a number of stims going off at once (of which that is one) which I have subsequently simplified. In fact, I believe the burrick rider is the only stim I currently have going off in the update. I'll fool around with it and see if for some reason that's causing a bigger problem than the others.

Thanks for the tip.

------------------
    =======================
    T2X Level Design Lead

Sharga

Just started playing. Nice inverntory items, I like it. And the undead skins I'm seeing already are cool.

------------------
    "carpe aureum" Sieze the gold
    "veni, vidi, abstuli" I came, I saw I stole
    LITOQ2/1st LITOQ/Moc2 soon./Foofie!/LITOQ and other great fanworks.

Viper6

Sledge, your e-mail isn't in your profile, why don't you send me one to reply to. jwalsh21@ix.netcom.com.

Still wrestling with killing the Guardians of the stones. Dropped a little surprise for the burric rider. Killed the burric, the rider hopped off unhurt. But, when I did...the framerate returned to normal.

Getting the stones is almost like taking candy from a baby. The guardians are another matter. The ghost did say they can't be killed by ordinary means. The stones, in the meantime, must be able to be used for something, but they can't be dropped, or thrown.

Where does one use the stones to see what happens next?

Sharga

Oh MY GOSH!!!!! This freaked me out!
    I've just gotten to the caves and the entrance to the manse.
    This scares me way more than RTC ever did!
    The scariest fm I've ever played. Of course I haven't played Bloodstone and I hear thats scarry.

SPOILERS IN FOLLOWING TEXT

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

First off there were a lot of things that were really creepy: All theses corpses laying about with blood, people being cooked, hung, totally mauled as in their skin is ripped off, and then there's the guy stabbed to death hanging from the table with blood dripping down. Needless to say that was freaky. The fewe parts where Hammer ghosts come in and talk was a nice touch, the one followed by an explosion really made me jump. And theres this one invisible switch that teleports a zombie to you when you go by it, thats freaky. Then there was good ol Timmy in the closet, how unerving. Plus all the journals really add to the atmosphere, making things seem very real. And then every once in a while you hear a shreak and someone being killed. IT ROCKS!

This is pretty hard though. First off I was a dummy to choose Warior playing style. I'm regreting it. And I cannot handle more than one haunt at a time, which it seems I often must deal with. Then, since this is a big fm, the frames get a little choppy, making fighting and running rather hard. About the sword: Yah, its really cool looking and the light is pretty....but DAMN! It's so hard to backstab anything with a neon sing that says: "Guess what. Either there's a glowing aparition behind you or there's a dumb thief with a gleaming sword ready to attack."

I've used the new items and they're lovely. That must have been a lot of work, I could never do some of the things you've accomplished. Good job Sledge!

------------------

Sharga

Ok, A few questions.

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

Ok, I got all the stones and took the tome (what creepy laughter by the way). And those guardians were sweet, but I feel sorry for them since all they do is walk around in circles for all eternity. But how in the heck do I get their heads? Please tell me because I can't figure it out.
    Also: That cave to the right of the place where you insert the stones and get the tome leads to an unfrobable gate. Is there any way to get past the gate or is the gate just for looks and a dead end.
    I suppose I'll be going to that library area now. I love it all so far.

------------------

willywanker

Two years on this board I think, and seven names. Here we go again.

A great level. Quite possibly the best FM ever, IMHO. Spoilers:

1. I'm on top level (warrior?) I have the stones and I've put them where they belong, and looked high and low and not found the tome, and have obviously overlooked that great clue which tells me where I should go to get it. I've killed everything in sight, and am wandering halls and caves lonely now. So a clue to finding the tome would be...?

2. I have the heads. With these too I wander, and no ghost appears anywhere for my optional reward. I'm beginning to think the ghost was a republican; gotten me to do his dirty work for him and he's not bothered to pay me. Is there a FEDEX bin or something around I can stash these things in?

3. This is purely me but I hate these word anagram puzzle items, and therefore I am terrible at them. I read about "I hate I, and O and U too and passwords rhyme and yadda yadda yadda" and I face a board with 26 buttons and at that point I'm like, whatever. I'm out of there. Perhaps on another level this is less of a mental contortion?

4. This isn't the first time I did everything ass backwards in a level. I do wonder if you want a player to be able to do it that way. After meeting O Headless One doing his rounds, I took another way, fought the spooks, stole the stones, set the stones, kept going...and suddenly met the ghost who told me I needed three stones and heads and so forth, and I thought, "way past ya pal." Then of course I got the gauntlet - which is way cool - and I thought, criminey, where was THIS thing when I was hacking and slashing for the past hour? Then of course I just had to go back and slaughter everyone I snuck past just for the hell of it.

A minor detail: being an overly curious thief, after I set the stones, I saved, then took a stone out...just to see. I wondered if this would affect someone's ability to get the tome, because once you remove a stone, it can't be placed back. I just want to make sure curious thieves don't f**k themselves by quicksaving a game after making an irreversible error.

So I'm nearly there. No tome, no extra reward. I have always thought the GOLD, etc. ranking of FMs was stupid, and ignored it. That said, if this level isn't GOLD, to the powers that be: give it up already willya?

Thanks for the level. It made my weekend.

Sledge

SPOILERS********************
    ============================

[QUOTE]Originally posted by willywanker:
    1. I'm on top level (warrior?) I have the stones and I've put them where they belong, and looked high and low and not found the tome, and have obviously overlooked that great clue which tells me where I should go to get it. I've killed everything in sight, and am wandering halls and caves lonely now. So a clue to finding the tome would be...?

The tome is on the lowest level with the trees and the burricks. If you've used the stones, there should be a particle bridge at your feet that leads across the lava. Alternatively, you can use the potion of the firewalker (see below) to hop back and forth across the lava.

2. I have the heads. With these too I wander, and no ghost appears anywhere for my optional reward. I'm beginning to think the ghost was a republican; gotten me to do his dirty work for him and he's not bothered to pay me. Is there a FEDEX bin or something around I can stash these things in?

If you look in the room with the ghost, there is a bin in the corner. Drop the heads in it and await your reward(s).

3. This is purely me but I hate these word anagram puzzle items, and therefore I am terrible at them. I read about "I hate I, and O and U too and passwords rhyme and yadda yadda yadda" and I face a board with 26 buttons and at that point I'm like, whatever. I'm out of there. Perhaps on another level this is less of a mental contortion?

lol, I've been questioned about this a few times. There's a note in the readme about this. There are different hints on each of the different difficulty levels. In playing the level more than once on a different setting, the password should become a little more obvious. Kind of a reward if you bother to check it out more than once.

Thanks for the compliments too! You should be very close to the end.

------------------
    =======================
    T2X Level Design Lead

willywanker

SPOILERS

DOH! But you know, if you didn't tell me about the particle beam I probably would not have seen it. It is extraordinarily faint for me.

and double DOH! I put the heads on the shelf beside where the ghost stood. Why didn't I put them in the FEDEX bin?

Now, of course, those goodies make me do the level all over again from the other direction.

Thanks again.

Sharga

More SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

After about two hours I finally beat it! Wow, twas wonderful! Far beyond my dromed capabilities. Took me a while to find the gauntlet since I didn't know it was just laying right there for me. FIghting that guardians was a difficult task, but I did it. The flesh guy was one of the coolest, I especially loved watching him squirm on the ground for a bit before getting off his fallen beast. He proved a good fighter too. The air guardian wasn't so hard since there wasn't really a trick to him besides running around hitting and dodging firebolts. I was stuck on the void guy forever. I even managed to sneak up behind him and whack him about twenty times with the gauntlet and then the sword before I gave up on that idea. Finally figured out to use some explosives...and boy did that look sweet! I loved the temple area with Trickster's ststue, and the chanting voice was sooooo cool! That giant spider was a great touch, also proved hard to kill.
    The archetecture was excellent...I loved everything about this fm.
    Oh, I never did figure out what the three potions you get from killing the guardians do.
    There was firewalker: I assume that lets you walk on lava? Weaponbane or something? Does that increase the damage dealt by you? And lifebreat? I have no idea since it doesn't seem to heal me.

The two videos were also well done! Bravo Laz and Loanstar!

------------------

Sledge

Hey Sharga. Sorry I didn't get to your questions in time. It's cool you managed to beat it though. To answer your questions about the potions, have a look in the arrows.doc file that comes in the zip. All of the new items are explained there.

------------------
    =======================
    T2X Level Design Lead

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678131823 ... LastLast