TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121722 ... LastLast

Thread: The Inverted Manse: Undead Thief 2 FM (April 2, 2001)

I believe it's a crypt of some kind. Sledge explained it once. He could tell you more.

I know Inverted Manse is a play on words; something to do with an unholy area underground....etc.

Originally posted by Hit Deity:
    I believe it's a crypt of some kind. Sledge explained it once. He could tell you more.
    Yeah, actually manse is just a word that describes the area where clergy live... synonymous with parsonage, I believe. Inverted both 'cause it's underground and because it's the opposite (or "inverse") of a holy manse.
    =======================
    Designer, Thief 3

Cult of the Resurrection for Thief 1 and The Inverted Manse for Thief 2 now available for download

Tutorials:ambient sounds, custom schemas, and beginner's sources and receptrons.

"Inverted Manse" on Rogue help (Part 2)

Hey Sledge, I am now playing "Inverted Manse" on Rogue skill. Will you please help me?
    Spoiler:
    I'm at the place where one of the stones are. (Brilliant stuff with the room with the invisible floor and wind carry !!!(Reminds me of The Mage Towers))When I try to pick up the stone it burns me. I have an empty vial. Should I fill this with holywater to neutralize the stone?
    I hope you don't mind helping me?

Great that you make different paths by skill

You're on the right track. Can't remember if its holy or unholy that you need. Or where to get it?

This mission is awesome. You'll find even more tricks in expert.

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: DreamWalker ]

Spoiler:
    I got stuck with this part, too. There's an unholy water fountain, but you have to go back aways to find it. It's just outside the library.

Cool. I was too fast to ask for help
    Spoiler:
    You need to fill the vial with unholy water from the fountain close to the library to neutralize the stones.

Great, two "walkers" comes to my rescue. Thanx for the help though
    I just started this "gold hammer" FM on Warrior. Again, SLEDGE you are a master

Stuck in Inverted Manse with no goals completed SPOILER

Wow... Inverted Manse is really well done, great architecture, good writing, good story, good gameplay. I finally got past the beginning of dealing with (IMHO) overly sensitive Haunts. I finally figured out that my glowing sword is also blessed holy... and I'm just playing Cutpurse; am I lame or what?

Well, so far I can't seem to progress. I have only been to (according to the automapper) the upper half of the map. I have in inventory:

Spoiler:

- war gaunlet
    - factory entrance key
    - church key
    - 1 spirit stone

Where do I go?

Of course... even though I've been struggling for days it's not until I post something I make some progress... anyways, I finally made it into that bedroom up on the 3rd floor near the chapel and completed my "what happened" obj with the book. Now I have the basement key... but where's the basement? I only find that morgue with the dead bodies and the war gauntlet.

Originally posted by kfgecko:
    Of course... even though I've been struggling for days it's not until I post something I make some progress... anyways, I finally made it into that bedroom up on the 3rd floor near the chapel and completed my "what happened" obj with the book. Now I have the basement key... but where's the basement? I only find that morgue with the dead bodies and the war gauntlet.
    The War Gaunlet is a piece of killer ware

I think you are playing on Cutpurse ?
    and need to go back to the building(factory)
    on the other side !

Yes, that's the Factory basement you're after.

Originally posted by Muzman:
    Yes, that's the Factory basement you're after.
    Hence the name, "Factory Basement Key"
    =======================
    Designer, Thief 3

Cult of the Resurrection for Thief 1 and The Inverted Manse for Thief 2 now available for download

Tutorials:ambient sounds, custom schemas, and beginner's sources and receptrons.

Doh!

Inverted Manse

I got to stop eating all that junk food my brain is not as sharp as it should be! Anyway I cant seem to get to the tunnels under the factory. I have chopped all the zombies up, and gotten the church and factory key,s turned on a couple switches, and am now on my third tour of the place. there is one door I can not open just beside the room with the impaled body stuck to the roof dripping blood, in the lower basement, Is this the door I need to open, And if so where is the key? I scoped the undead gaurds as I snuck past and besides some loot I didnt notice any keys? also in the elevator shaft there is a level with a barred gate that I cant access this is obviously where I got to go, but I dont think they will let me in by saying i am with the gas company. any help getting me into the tunnels will be truly appreciated !
    Allanon

That key is in the Church, it's not in the factory.

Inverted Manse

Well, my first Thief 2 mission and once again I seem to be lost where none other has been lost before. Let me first ask if there is a walk through for this mission coz I think I'm going to need it! Here's the question: I'm Stuck in the power plant. I've been everywhere that's accessible except the area where the metal walkway has collapsed. I've tried everything to get to the door above me but I can't mantle up it and my rope arrows fall way to short for me to grab ahold of. That's not the problem though (or is it?) How do I find my way into the manse from the plant basement? I can't get anywhere. I've opened all the doors that were locked and I just keep going around in circles. I know this is going to be really easy and I'm going to feel like a "Rok" but hey, hence my name!

You're going to need to indicate what difficulty you're on in order to get the most help. Most people who seem to get stuck early play on Cutpurse. If that's the case:

Spoiler:
    You need to find a couple of keys. One key is in the factory and one is in the church. Both of them are fairly easy to get if you know where to be (and sometimes it's difficult to be in the right spot given the size of the place). If you find any keys, look very carefully at what they are named. They should help.

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: Sledge ]
    =======================
    Designer, Thief 3

Thanks Krush, On my way

Originally posted by Rok:
    [QBexcept the area where the metal walkway has collapsed. I've tried everything to get to the door above me but I can't mantle up it and my rope arrows fall way to short for me to grab ahold of. That's not the problem though (or is it?) How do I find my way into the manse from the plant basement? [/QB]
    You hear and see nothing yet ?
    Did the screaming cries frighten you ?

Try moving along and round the corridor way(..you need a key ..) and pick a pusre off a haunt parolling ?

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: jupiter ]

Ok, I completed Inverted Manse on cutpurse... finally. I'm just getting old. The mission got more fun as the story progressed. With great architecture, lots of attention to detail (all the moving stuff like windmills and steam and gears really added some good environmental atmosphere). Very nice briefing and *debriefing*... (of course great voice stuff by Loanstar). Things were quite dark, but that was the atmosphere (and I used the sword a lot for illumination). The readables were well written, and once I got the critical mass of info, the story started getting good.

I loved the ghost "cutscenes"... better effect than the ghost "cutscenes" in T2.

Everything was well planned and the architecture was clean and polished. I especially commend Sledge for the light skulpting as there were good shadows to sneak in... because many lights had a deliberate radius set to them.

I can't imagine how much time was spent making and tweaking and debugging the new weapons. They were cool... not the first thing on the "good list" to come to mind.

My biggest complaint was the difficulty. The haunts seemed to have super enhanced senses and knew exactly where you were from around corners. There were a few spots where passing them was incredibly difficult, and it was this "uberness" that turned me off at the beginning. I'm more of a "the situation is impossible unless you stop, think, and do the smart thing... then suddenly it becomes easy" kind of puzzle liker.

The balance of weapons loadouts was good and I think I could have made my experience more enjoyable had I used the wind arrows more liberally. (But ya never know with FMs... some sadistic authors give you like 2 water arrows and have dozens of areas obviously screaming for doused torches; thank fully Sledge is *not* of this type.)

IM gets a big thumbs up in my book. It's also quite comforting to know Sledge is on the T3 team now.

Posted by kfgecko:
    My biggest complaint was the difficulty.
    Well, I played 'Inverted Manse' at Cutpurse difficulty for the first time and it took me about 1 hour and 10 minutes. I tought then: "Great mission... if only it could be MORE difficult and a bit longer..." I know many much, much more difficult missions , for example 'Mystery Man' (difficulty comes from the puzzles )and 'Smuggler's Request' (difficulty comes from the AI placement [tile floors!]). But... maybe it's a very subjective judgement... Anyway, 'Embracing the Enemy' was for me (more or less) at the same level of difficulty as 'Inverted Manse'.

Yeah, sorry about the difficulty kfgecko! The new weapons are actually more powerful variants of the old arrows, so potentially they can help a lot. In terms of sensitivity, I only gave above average ratings to a couple of guys in the whole level. I think it's mostly just the abundance of metal and so forth. A lot of times you have to sneak slowly. there are places that are intentionally a bit hard to sneak through (like the main hall), but there's always a way around or a different route to go (like in the main hall example, entering through the doors on the 2nd level above the marble stairs). But it's cool you liked it! Bloodstone Prison was naturally a huge influence.
    =======================
    Designer, Thief 3

One more little Inverted Manse thing...possible SPOILER!

On Warrior difficulty, I got through basically the whole mission, but after I got the three heads that Brother Ramus wanted, I couldn't find him again. I went back to where Ramus gave me the new objective, but he didn't appear. I was able to complete the mission anyway, but I'd like to see EVERYTHING in this mission, it's so awesome...bahahahaha!

Spoiler:
    There is an empty bin in the room where you first saw him. Dump the heads in there.

Thanks!

'Inverted Manse' again, again and again

S P O I L E R

Since I finished ‘Inverted Manse’ on all levels fo difficulty there’s one thing that drives me crazy...
    In the factory there‘s a room with the broken skywalk (or whatever it’s called in English). It is the area where one of the ghost conversations takes place. And my question is: can this skywalk be accessed in some way? In other words: can I open the door on both sides of skywalk?

Sorry for my English in this post... I’m ‘rebuliding’ my house now and most of my books (including dictionaries) is lying on the floor in piles... so... I’m not able to find my dictionary now... Well, I’m not able to find anything now (except hammer, nails etc. and... of course... PC)....

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121722 ... LastLast