TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What drove Karras off the edge?

The mechanists were trying to destroy plants and other living things, instead of using it to build stuff. I don't think the pagans would see that as an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by user1010 View Post
    As for charisma, Karras would have to have it to gain that many followers to his religion. Also, haven't you people ever noticed that the mechanists generally have a more intelligent set of grammar and cite longer verses of scripture?
    Karras never actually started or created any type of religion. He used his mental abilities to sway those from an already well established religion. The Hammers who converted to Mechanist gained some of the wisdom and insight from Karras, making them to appear smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord Nexus View Post
    The mechanists were trying to destroy plants and other living things, instead of using it to build stuff. I don't think the pagans would see that as an improvement.
    As is evidenced by Viktoria going in with Garret during the last mission of T2, and attempting to destroy as much shit as she could.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    mechanism is basically the same as hammerism at its root, if you don't count karras' rewrite of the scriptures. where mechanism differs is that they're more willing to consider technological advances- and give them to the world. the hammers have the arrogant idea that the world isn't ready for this or that. the hammers, once a bastion of progress, are now a bunch of old men who don't like change. the mechanists are also a far more open organization- they include women, and minorities (ever notice the random black guy walking around?) and that's just for starters. there's none of this really old fasioned "initiation" that the hammers do (a whole year of silence, etc.) if you want to join the mechanists. there probably IS some initiation, but it wouldn't be as extreme or draconian. hammerites are willing to use nature to their own ends, for example as building materials. they turn it into a metaphor for spirituality. they emphasise structural soundness both physical and spiritual. mechanists prefer to use a machine analogy, where everyone is a gear or a cog and has to follow their given path, or else the whole machine stops.

boy, i'm long-winded today.

Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    Yep, I was really scared. He seemed quite a sinister person to me, and still seems.
    Duuuuude...... Seriously!

jtr7

Thoughts on Cavador:

Re-reading Cavador's journal, he doesn't agree with Karras on some things. Cavador is more of a scientist, excited about unearthing discoveries. Karras wants the Lost City "cleansed" of all life. Cavador doesn't know why Karras insists on it, and disobeys the order to use the rust-gas for that purpose.

Later, the Pagans probably simply reasoned with Cavador, and he perceived enough of the overall threat to turn his back on Karras. "Spilling one's guts" usually means the person tells all, brings out all he/she has within.

Permanently Enlarged
    yeah, Cavvy always struck me as a more sensible type than Karras, or at least as sensible as a Hammer could be. i made a lot of chars using the name "Cavador" or "Brother Cavador", i even have a Guild Wars char named "Brother Cavador". Hammer tank, what else would he be? i also have a SV in Phantom Crash called "Cavador".

Previously Important
    "cavador" literally means "one who digs"
    Actually, truth be told I'd guess it's one of those horrible deponent verbs along the lines of "hortor" and "sequor" and probably literally translates to "I dig"

From the same root as we derive "excavation" and "cavity" and such.

Permanently Enlarged
    which is damn funny, cuz i KNOW Latin (more or less).

Previously Important
    LOL

yeah, but Cavadum just sounds silly.

PS I had to drop Latin GCSE cos I was shite

Quote Originally Posted by RavynousHunter View Post
    i even have a Guild Wars char named "Brother Cavador".
    Well yeah, but what do you know about his grace, Lord Markham...

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    PS I had to drop Latin GCSE cos I was shite
    Lol.. I wasn't even asked nor approached to do Latin GCSE... Just as well really.. it's not like I'm gonna work for the Vatican or something!

I only picked it so I didn't have to do french, spanish or german. I wanted to rebel and learn a language that would never be any use whatsoever to myself or anyone else. Afterwards I kinda figured there was no point learning it in that case so I didn't bother.

I wish there'd been a Dromed GCSE option - I'd definitely have picked that!

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    i took latin in high school.

i don't remember any of it.

however i am going to have to take a foreign language eventually for college... and it's probably going to be spanish. which means i'm going to have to listen to my mom put me down because when she was in school all the smart kids took french and all the dumb kids took spanish. (guess which one she took?)

Quote Originally Posted by RavynousHunter View Post
    which is damn funny, cuz i KNOW Latin (more or less).
    consilium abeundi

Previously Important
    People called Romanes, they go the house?

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    i took latin in high school. i don't remember any of it.
    Lol.. that's like me with French and Spanish. I used to spek quite fluently, but now I have totally forgotten how to speak them.

Quote Originally Posted by Selete View Post
    I've been trying to trace the root of his maddness, but I can't see a clear cause. Was he just nuts to begin with?
    He pushed the boundaries with his inventions and experiments, it seems feasible to me that some of those experiments could have contained Mercury.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    His mental illness increases as the game progresses, and even his physical appearance changes (a metallic coloring of his skin, according to a Mechanist's journal), so maybe his experiments caused him to become mentally ill.
    Mercury poisoning?

Mercury is acutely hazardous as a vapor and in the form of its water-soluble salts, which corrode membranes of the body. Chronic mercury poisoning, which occurs when small amounts of the metal or its fat-soluble salts, particularly methyl mercury, are repeatedly ingested over long periods of time, causes loss of memory, irreversible brain, liver, and kidney damage. paralysis, mental derangement and eventually death.

BANNED
    Yes, but this should not be the madness who had Karras, this should be a madness more oriented to the non-sense, brain damage lifts power to the brain, so he won't have been able to invent all those facilities. I guess his .. diversity was achieved by the time, instead.

Reminds me of Manly P Hall

Quote Originally Posted by Frikkinjerk View Post
    Regarding Karras' voice; I always felt his voice and manner of speech were part of the characterization of his being a pedantic geek of an engineer. I don't understand the supposition that his motives were driven by being ridiculed for the cadence of his voice as a child; he could have had a perfectly happy childhood and still turned out to be a genocidal loon. Either his values are categorically misplaced, or he's crazy. I place him in the Howard Hughes category of genius, but batshit insane.
    His voice kind of reminds me of the Freemason Manly P Hall. Would be funny if that was the actual inspiration
    Here is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7AGKfbCKDE

Zombified
    nice necro. but to answer the original question, same thing as anyone else - just one bad day.

ZylonBane
    So this knucklehead's very first act as a new member is to necro a nearly decade-old thread. Lovely.

Hi Archipel. I don't think you're a knucklehead. You just discovered one of the many petty fiefdoms of the old Internet.

karrass is a typical case of mental problem/genius,its a trop that has been done alot

he snapped cause that is what he was suppose to do,not like karras was going to become drinking buddies with benny :P

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast