TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What drove Karras off the edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Archipel View Post
    His voice kind of reminds me of the Freemason Manly P Hall. Would be funny if that was the actual inspiration
    Here is an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7AGKfbCKDE
    Aleister Crowley even more

And don't pay attention to the necro criticisms. I've seen the exact opposite, people putting down new threads because 'there's already a ton of them'. Catch 22

Quote Originally Posted by downwinder View Post
    karrass is a typical case of mental problem/genius,its a trop that has been done alot
    At the time, it hadn't. Not in computer games. I can't think of a single example predating Thief 2, except for Sanitarium.

Also, Karras never did snap. His vision was the same from start to finish. He had no breakdown or episode. There is a difference between a sociopath and a schizophrenic.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic Fox View Post
    Also, Karras never did snap. His vision was the same from start to finish. He had no breakdown or episode. There is a difference between a sociopath and a schizophrenic.
    The ultimate Mechanist plan was to destroy all nature, and society as it was, to establish their utopian vision. Publicly, they were mum about this goal as it would alienate the nobles and people who supported them.

So they had a public face, to provide servants and security devices to the nobility and technologically improve the City, as a cover for something more sinister. Like hardcore Christian fundamentalists who use charity, education, and medical care as a ruse to convert others and eradicate native cultures.

alot is unknown from pre hammer karras,very little known when he was in hammers over all,and when we saw mech it was already going pretty good so we missed the very beginning of that

in all if we had to add up the years of not knowing what karrass was doing it would be more then we know,from cannon

that is why i think a pre thief 1 game would be great it could explore all those avenues,or thief 4 can go back to fill in blanks did the "metal child" live

but you are right he was a sociopath for sure narcissist / etc

but we really have no clue why,at least cannon over all dont say

thief 1 and 2 and 3 are like the movie version compared to the book version in storyline,garrett is the action :P

Quote Originally Posted by Azaran View Post
    The ultimate Mechanist plan was to destroy all nature, and society as it was, to establish their utopian vision. Publicly, they were mum about this goal as it would alienate the nobles and people who supported them.

So they had a public face, to provide servants and security devices to the nobility and technologically improve the City, as a cover for something more sinister. Like hardcore Christian fundamentalists who use charity, education, and medical care as a ruse to convert others and eradicate native cultures.
    I wonder how many of the Mechanists were aware of the true scope of Karras plan. Logs and diaries in the Soulforge Cathedral suggest that some Mechanists were alienated and found Karras behavior disturbing. I guess not many of them would have agreed with him, because that would mean their own death.

After all, it looks they were forcefully converted to masked servants.

The Mechanists used technology that had been deemed forbidden by the Hammerites, who until then had controlled all industrial production. In TDP, electricity has been discovered and harnessed, yet all the electrical systems are in severe disrepair, with sparks flying everywhere. This indicates that higher technology was already known, but had been suppressed.

Karras was not a genius who suddenly discovered advanced technology all on his own. He was someone who uncovered hidden secrets and turned them to his own ends. Perhaps he doled these secrets out slowly to Hammerites who were dissatisfied with orthodoxy, thus gaining rapid converts.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234