TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DarkLoader 4.3 Released

DarkLoader 4.3 Released

The latest version of DarkLoader is ready for use.

http://www.thiefmissions.com/darkloader/

There is a bugfix currently being tested. See the details in this post.
    http://whoopdedo.org/projects.php?dl

As with the previous release, I am including the standard scripts required to play any fan-mission. But last time, I included the wrong copy of CONVICT.OSM for Thief 1 and Thief Gold. You should install the new copy of the Thief Scripts if you have either of those games. The Thief 2 scripts are the same as before.

Major new features of this release are:

• Loads System Shock 2 missions.
    • Copy mission list to clipboard by pressing CTRL+C.
    • Select current mission by clicking on the top status bar.
    • Two new sites for the Internet button. (Right-click on the button to select.)
    • Improved "Optimizing"
    • Miscellaneous bug fixes.
    • New bugs introduced. (Just kidding!... I hope.)
    Last edited by Telliamed; 11th Jan 2007 at 20:47. Reason: 4.3.1

Downloaded and about to be installed. Many thanks for your work!

Same here, thanks a bunch.

Clearinghouse
    WOW! Downloading now!

Thanks, downloading now!

Thanks for your hard work !

Much "thanks" for the support and design of this program.
    It really works like a champ! Very fast and effective. I like the way you can, easily, just plop it in a folder to ones choosing. well, at least i did with the darkloader43beta2.zip

Quote Originally Posted by dealasteal View Post
    Much "thanks" for the support and design of this program.
    It really works like a champ! Very fast and effective. I like the way you can, easily, just plop it in a folder to ones choosing. well, at least i did with the darkloader43beta2.zip
    Oops, sorry. Final releases get put in a bloated, complex installer program.

I'm just following up with Bjoern's work. DL has always worked with major prerequisites all in one folder, and it doesn't touch the registry. The installer is a convenience only. (Well, it does check for one system file that doesn't exist in Win95.)

Has anyone tried running DL from a CD? I'm not sure if it'll work, I think it wants ''DarkLoader.ini'' to be writable. I might consider that for 4.4.

Excellent, the search-TTLG function will be very handy. One possible improvement: it would make more sense for it to only search in Thief-related fora (for example, I used it on "Bad Blood" and it came up with lots of Thief-unrelated threads). Perhaps it might even search for the exact title, rather than for the word, since lots of Thief missions share parts of titles (Bad Blood - Tears of Blood - Trail of Blood). Shouldn't be very difficult to implement, I hope.

Open DarkLoader.dat using Notepad. Right at the top you'll see the search URLs. You can tweak the query string to your liking. I'll use your suggestion if you mail me the result.

(I thought I _did_ tell it to only search f=100... Ah, but that wouldn't catch SS2 missions, of course.)

Thiefmissions.com

If there's something specific that can't search for but would like to, or if there's some type of search that's not supported, just let me know and I'll try to cook something up. The search code is super-crappy but it is possible for me to hack more things into it.

Neat, and I see I can even add new sites.

Actually, you did tell it to only search f=100. But for some reason, it searches other fora, too (it even shows some CommChat hits for Bad Blood). I put quotes around %t, so I guess that would make it unlikely to find Thief-unrelated hits, but the fact still is that it seems to search the whole of TTLG, rather than just Thief fora or the FM forum.

I've noticed that Darkloader v4.3 has an annoying 'feature' that greys out all the buttons while Thief is running, including the DromEd button.

I've just been beta testing a mission, and it's a little awkward that I have to go and launch DromEd manually to take a look in the mission without having to close Thief, rather than just being able to switch back to DarkLoader and hit 'DromEd'.

Launch Dromed through DL first, then invoke Thief2.exe manually.

I think you may be the only person with this "problem". The feature is there to prevent the active FM from being modified prematurely.

Actually, I noticed it as well - I occasionally look inside DromEd to find a switch that's impossible to find normally. Not that it's such a huge problem, but I too find it more convenient.

Congrats on the new version release Telliamed!

Unfortunately i have a error. Once i installed this new version i setup all my mission directories and then selected every mission so that their details would show up, i.e. the title of each FM. Once i got to the last few FMs i got the error message "Unable to write to C:/Games/DarkLoader v4.3/DarkLoader.ini". I have 611 quests available in the loader, maybe this has exceeded the amount of FM details that can be stored in DarkLoader.ini?

EDIT: I later added some new FMs to one of my mission directories and DarkLoader keeled over and died. The error message is "Exception Exception dans le module DARKLOADER.EXE a 00039397. Unable to write to C:/GAMES/DARKLOADER V4.3/DarkLoader.ini." In this case the loader doesn't even get opened, this error message comes up and then i click ok to close it back down.

I delete "DarkLoader.ini" and then it loads up fine, but of course i have to resetup my mission directories and point to the Thief executables.
    Last edited by shadows; 16th Dec 2006 at 17:35. Reason: another error encountered

Quote Originally Posted by shadows View Post
    Congrats on the new version release Telliamed!
    Not that new anymore.

Unfortunately i have a error. Once i installed this new version i setup all my mission directories and then selected every mission so that their details would show up, i.e. the title of each FM. Once i got to the last few FMs i got the error message "Unable to write to C:/Games/DarkLoader v4.3/DarkLoader.ini". I have 611 quests available in the loader, maybe this has exceeded the amount of FM details that can be stored in DarkLoader.ini?
    I wouldn't be surprised. Would you happen to recall how many missions you had read before it died on you? And what version of Windows are you running?

And could someone else with a metric assload of FMs attempt to duplicate this problem?

ps. You don't usually have to trash your old INI file when upgrading... At least, once I get this bug fixed. And don't worry. I'm thrilled to have an excuse to rewrite the INI handler, which is still left over from Bjorn and kind starting to smell.

pps. I'm not blaming Bjorn. He's cool. It's actually Bill Gates fault. But I blame him for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised. Would you happen to recall how many missions you had read before it died on you? And what version of Windows are you running?
    I had 'scanned' around 600 missions into DarkLoader and don't laugh but i am running Windows ME.

I don't usually have so many missions loaded at once but i was organising my FMs hence the breakage.

DarkLoader is designed to be Win95+IE4 compatible, so no need to apologise.

Something you can do: Load and scan one folder at a time. When you're through with each folder, move the Darkloader.ini into that folder. (You can edit it to remove the non-mission sections.) Erase the mission sections from the main INI and drop that folder then move on to the next. When you've scanned all the folders, you can list all of them in DL and it will see the Darkloader.ini files that are in the folders. So you'll at least get accurate information in the grid.

But once you click on a mission, the data will be written to the main folder. So you'd eventually run into the problem again. If it happens, send me a copy of the INI file that doesn't work. Also, it might be helpful to have a recent working copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
    Launch Dromed through DL first, then invoke Thief2.exe manually.

I think you may be the only person with this "problem". The feature is there to prevent the active FM from being modified prematurely.
    I also just noticed that DarkLoader will refuse to install an FM into my 'playing' copy of Thief while I have DromEd open from my 'editing' copy. I took the experiment one step further and noticed that it refuses to install Thief2 missions while ShockEd is open....

Would some sort of hidden .ini setting to turn this feature off be totally out of the question?

"Can't write to DARKLOADER.INI'... Size *does* matter!

I have had the "Can't write to DARKLOADER.INI" error from DarkLoader 4.3 and 4.2 a few times and found out something interesting. If the file size of the file DARKLOADER.INI exceeds 64 kB, the problem shows up. To be more precise, a size of 65463 bytes is still OK, but a size of 65480 bytes or more usually results in the "Can't write..." error message whenever DarkLoader tries to change the file.

What exactly is written as new content into the file does not matter. I can show a new directory with missions to DarkLoader and it will give me the error, but I can as well just check another mission as "finished on difficulty level normal" - the error will pop up as well. If I copy a smaller DARKLOADER.INI into the DarkLoader directory, DarkLoader will work again until the file gets too large again. By the way, DarkLoader 4.1 cannot work with an .INI file that is too large, but it does accept .INI files from DarkLoader 4.3 if they are smaller than about 64 kB. It seems that the problem is already present in DarkLoader 4.1. I have not yet been able to transfer a file smaller than 64 kB to DarkLoader 4.1 and cross the "magic size limit" from within DarkLoader 4.1, but apart from that, DarkLoader 4.1 already shows all the symptoms present in versions 4.2 and 4.3.

Apparently, size does matter sometimes...

Maybe this is the matter of the file size problem here:
    http://gmccomb.com/vault/edge/ini.html#_1_7

It sais there is a general 64KB size limitation for ini-files, as well as a 256 byte limitation for every text variable within an ini-file.

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterShadow View Post
    Maybe this is the matter of the file size problem here:
    http://gmccomb.com/vault/edge/ini.html#_1_7

It sais there is a general 64KB size limitation for ini-files, as well as a 256 byte limitation for every text variable within an ini-file.
    According to the text you mentioned, these limits only apply when one uses Windows' built-in functions for handling the INI files. In that case, DarkLoader should be programmed to use other file functions. This should remove this artificial limit.

There must be a way to actually do this because I've found one INI file on my hard disk that is as large as 128 kB. This is an INI file not handled by Windows itself. It is not located somewhere in the directory tree containing Windows, but in the directory tree of the program (in this case Lavasoft's AdAware 1.06) it belongs to.

Yep, I figured as much. And a big thanks goes out to the fine folks at MSDN for not once mentioning that there even is a file size limit in the documentation for the INI functions!!!

Can I write the replacement functions? I've got some time to kill and would like to feel useful.