Quote Originally Posted by Dinksmallwood View Post
    spoiler:
    Not nuts but bloody blotto...
    My first thoughts:
    spoiler:
    ZOMFG A SURVIVOR!

Followed soon thereafter by:
    spoiler:
    Bugger, she's wasted....oh well, BOOZE HARVEST!

Real class job so far, that one error aside. Amazing what the dark engine's capible of even after all these years.

/nostaliga

spoiler:
    When I first heard her voice while I was near the maint. shaft, I was pretty creeped out since I had no idea who, or what, was making those very...interesting...sounds.

Oh shit, I'm going to have to drive to the college and download these (dialup sux yo). But I WILL do it, and NOW.

Based on just the screenshots, though, I'd like to say that while I like the utilitarian style of this, I thought that, for example, Proov did it a lot more cleanly. In spite of any architectural shortcomings, though, any new SS2 FM is a good thing (unless someone decides to prove me wrong on purpose).

An example of an improvement in architecture I'd like to see: Non-uniform lighting. I know that using ambient lighting lets one use less light objects and thus makes for smoother performance, but it removes pitch black areas that could be cool if used right. For instance, the ceiling of the reactor room and its various recesses could make pretty good mysterious dark areas. I haven't produced anything this size (I make small areas for architectural concept work but never link them up), so I don't know if using that kind of lighting would be hampered by the engine's limits.

Another thought I had:
    Someday, in an FM, I'd like to see the ships environmental systems be a bit more dynamic. One thing I thought of would be reactive lighting. You could create a custom AI object thing, and when it hears or sees you it can instantly go to its fully aware state and turn on a light, then when it loses you it can turn the light off. Power conservation. Kill the lights when nobody is around. Responds to sight and sound. Could make for interesting encounters with silent monsters, yeah? Surprise, surprise... Or how about organic surveilance equipment? Eyeballs embedded in nerve clusters attached to walls. A pad of tissue on the floor, nerve-connected to the wall, that sets off an alarm if you walk over it. I was going to keep these ideas for myself, but I don't think I'll ever really get around to implementing them. SOMEBODY TRY THIS!
    Last edited by Ultraviolet; 22nd Sep 2006 at 00:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
    Thank you very much

My pleasure. Thank you for the new mission.

OK, the architecture is a lot deeper and better than the screenshots give off. Some of the style seems a bit simplified in spots, but overall, it gave me ideas for how to do my own work differently.

I finished it after a five hour marathon session. And I have to say it's really, really good. Really good!

The part that freaked me out the most?

When I found Peggy down in those maintenance tunnels! I just didn't know what the hell to make of her, at first. Was she some new form of the Many?

Oh, and you hid one of those power cells REALLY well Christine. It took me a long time to find it. Very sneaky. And I totally missed the first wrench, like Bjossi did. But there are a couple more later.

I felt the cutscenes were particularly well done this time. Nice work Dinksmallwood!

I didn't encounter any crashes. Worked perfectly. The only thing I noticed, is that a few of the textures weren't aligned properly. Particularly on the doors. And at the beginning when the prison guard died in the explosion, his body was floating in the air. Those are my very, very minor nitpicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    I don't think I made enough of a distinction between the two characters I voiced I'll have to work on that for next time.
    I think I went in the opposite direction, and tried too hard. It's not easy trying to sound like two different people, unless you exaggerate your voice to an extreme like I did. I'm happy with my line in the opening cutscene, but that's because it's my natural speaking voice. I'm not so happy with the doctor. So I'll also have to work on that next time.

Thank you, redrain85!

And stop complaining you all! You voice actors all did a GREAT job. You are all non-professionals - so what? I remember computer games with voice actors that doesn't sound in the least as awesome as you - and they were professionals.

And well, nobody can beat my bad abilities as a voice-actress.
    While speaking Cpt. Weber I nearly broke my tongue (and if I hadn't this useful little program with which you can speed up a sound-file without pitching it, you still would listen to my voice - because in the original recordings I talked way slower! ).

Yeah, some texture misalignments. Notably the hazard-striping in doorframes. Just need to flip the texture (rotate 180) on certain surfaces so it'll work without making a seam. I would think it would be a simple enough thing for DromEd to do that automatically -- too bad IG didn't PLAN on giving us a production-quality editor. But hey, I'll take what I get, I suppose.

One gripe I've had with the three Christine FMs I've seen so far is that the custom objects should be scaled down a bit. Those are some HUGE pencils and pens and cigarettes (more like a gigantic blunt). :P Custom object quality has definitely gone up. And I chuckled when I saw that a "burgercarton" was a custom container. Haha. :P I actually sat and killed Peggy with a wrench, but all I got was a pathetic sob! Where's the explosion, the secret door trigger, the sudden teleportation into a strange cyber-dimension? :P

Still in progress. Went from the starting deck to Engineering, died, saving it up for tomorrow now.

Minor gripe about voice acting: Some of you sound a bit like you're trying to perform/recite. The way I interpret the text a lot of times is with a slightly different emotion than the voice conveys, though we all do have a different imagination I suppose. One suggestion: Fill the voice actors in on the greater plot sequence (I know it'll ruin it for them, but they knew the risks when they signed up! :P) and let them (or actually suggest to them that they do this) modify the text for their own speaking style (which I think is the crux of the problem). Rather than quoting the text verbatim, one should modify it a bit (which I saw happen a couple of times, but there were other times where the voice actor sounded like they were using words that their style of speaking would never use).

Christine, you wrote the dialog, right? (I would assume so, but I'd prefer to know so.) What is your native language? Sometimes the English spoken by us Americans/Canadians/British/etc in your logs sounds a bit non-native. Would it be acceptable to just outline what must be said in a log, along with some emotional preferences, and then let the voice actor take a bit more creative control in the flow and presentation, thus yielding a flow more natural to that speaker? For speakers who are recording in a language that is not native to them (What I would assume are Germans speaking English, to use an example seen here), rigorous grammatical correctness may even make them sound LESS natural. And then there's someone writing the dialog making different grammatical errors than the voice actor would make in translating the idea into English words; IMO it's better for the voice actor to make their own trans-linguistic grammatical errors than to repeat the writer's, but once it's recorded, the writer could hear a few different samples of the same dialog spoken a few different ways and the voice acting team (or whatever creative control persons are on the project) could all review to see what sounds the most natural and scene fitting.

I'd offer my editorial services, but I fear I may have sounded far too pompous already. :P Just so you know, I've done a couple of voice acting gigs in other game editing communities, and I know how hard it is. I know exactly what kind of self-doubt comes into play when you expose part of your physical self to a community that knows you only by a name, some posts, and possibly an avatar. So I don't mean to be unnecessarily hard. If I don't sound understanding, you're reading it wrong. :P

And I know I started really getting long winded here. :P
    Last edited by Ultraviolet; 22nd Sep 2006 at 04:33.

@ Ultraviolet

German is my native language and my English is rather bad. I had some English lessons in school, but that is long time ago (I'm 40 ) and I never used it in my real life. I have problems to understand the posts in the forums, I'm using a dictionary, Leo and sometimes Babelfish.
    Dinksmallwood is helping me a lot with my mails and pns. (Thank you )
    It's nearly impossible for me to understand spoken English and I can't speak English. So I'm glad that Dinksmallwood took care of the voiceacting.
    I wrote all textes in German, Dinksmallwood translated it into English and Nightwalker (Canadian) read correctur. As far as I know, some voiceactors make their own changes. The translation took 1 month and the voiceacting 2 months. Thanks for your hard work
    Last edited by Christine; 22nd Sep 2006 at 06:04. Reason: spelling

Now that was great. A wee bit short but good fun to play.

spoiler:
    Entering the captains room was hilarious. Was the assault rifle really nesscary? This FM on Normal was a piece of cake with a pistol. Granted I'm a wimp when it comes to hard difficulty.

One thing I did notice though was some slow down at certain areas with lots of detail.
    Last edited by bob_doe_nz; 22nd Sep 2006 at 07:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    @ Ultraviolet

German is my native language and my English is rather bad. I had some English lessons in school, but that is long time ago (I'm 40 ) and I never used it in my real life. I have problems to understand the posts in the forums, I'm using a dictionary, Leo and sometimes Babelfish.
    It's nearly impossible for me to understand spoken English and I can't speak English. So I'm glad that Dinksmallwood took care of the voiceacting.
    I wrote all textes in German, Dinksmallwood translated it into English and Nightwalker (Canadian) read correctur. As far as I know, some voiceactors make their own changes. The translation took 1 month and the voiceacting 2 months. Thanks for your hard work
    That's cool, thanks for your dedication! Anyway, I'll dl this as soon as I am able.

So nobody else has had problems with getting to deck four?

For the sake of clarification my problem is that it'll go to the loading screen, get to about three fourth's of the way done, then go back to windows.

corrupted download?

Quote Originally Posted by Dinksmallwood View Post
    And well, nobody can beat my bad abilities as a voice-actress.
    While speaking Cpt. Weber I nearly broke my tongue (and if I hadn't this useful little program with which you can speed up a sound-file without pitching it, you still would listen to my voice - because in the original recordings I talked way slower! ).
    You know...I actually think the voice for Webber was my favorite out of the whole lot. Great work Dink.

spoiler:
    I have been deepscanning Security, at least the parts I can reach, and so far I've only found one battery and one keycard, but there is still one door locked near the upgrade units that I can't open. Am I over-seeing something? I thought I found another keycard on a body right after opening the locked door near the machinegun turret, but it doesn't seem that way because I'm only carrying one keycard in my inventory.

@ William Dojin:

*blush* Thank you. I'm really flattered...

@ Bjossi:

Which one of the batteries have you already found? Which door is still locked (can you look inside through a window?). Have you already found the second exit of the maintenance-tunnels (where you met Peggy)?

*spoilers warning*
    I found the one near the maintenance access, and few minutes ago I found another battery next to a body in the shooting practice room. And the locked door is in the same hallway as where you find the bathrooms and the shooting practice.

The locked door is the armory
    spoiler:
    the keycard is not on this deck, you'll find it later

Do you find the batterie near the
    spoiler:
    maintenance acces where you meet Peggy? It's lying nearby a broken airduct

Very fun FM, though it was a bit too easy as there was waaaay too much ammo lying around.

Especially liked all the turrets being placed in high-traffic areas *hack hack!*
    And starting off with a skill of 1 in everything.

Just for refference the link at the start of the thread for strangebedfellows is broke.

http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php?topic=285.0

There we go.

Edit:

I redownloaded from SB and deck four works now, granted its a bit crash happy and my framerate takes a hit in the casion, however considering I've got an odd assortment of mods going its no supprize really save that it seems confined only to that deck...

Currently I'm supposed to head to command, but I feel its time to restock on ammo.
    Last edited by William Dojinn; 22nd Sep 2006 at 17:49. Reason: Finally managed to get deck four working

Quote Originally Posted by Christine
    Just curious....have you found that posting on this forum has expanded your english skills at all? I mean have your spoken and read/write skills improved as a result of doing so much translation to use these forums and make your FM's?

Myself, I've always sucked at languages, arts, music....I'm a total left brain. I took french against my will for 14 years including 2 OAC level credits and I still hate and suck at it, lol. But even italian and spanish, which I do like (I'm Italian), I find very difficult to pick up so I'm just curious if I've got a languages problem or if its normal.

I'm having respawn issues.As soon as I kill a hybrid it respawns...no delay.I really enjoyed ponterbee station,but it looks like I wont be able to finish this one unless there is someway to fix the respawn.I am out of ammo and patience.

@RocketMan:
    Moi, je ne parle pas plus de francais anymore too...
    I also learned it in school but in the meantime I forgot most of it.
    But that's not what I wanted to write.
    Yes, I think Christine's English has improved very well, at least since I know her. It's just not enough to write the FMs in english. Well, though I loved English in school (which is also nearly 18 years ago) even my english isn't good enough for this. If I hadn't Nightwalker for editing the texts = No FMs for you!
    RocketMan, I think some people are good at foreign languages, some are not. For example my weak point is orientation. I even get lost in the smallest FMs, running around in circles, nearly starting to cry... (did I hear a 'Poor Dinky!'?). And I know many people who simply can't understand why I will never improve this ability. Perhaps I'm just missing some brain cells in the right place (malicious tongues would say now: Way too many! ).
    Oh my, I'm chatting and chatting and slip off-topic more and more...
    (I better call my head shrinker. At least he gets money for listening to me! ).

(Christine, sorry that I answered this question for you. But I was sure you would say 'No! No improvement!', wouldn't you?)

@Butters8435:
    Have you any mods installed that may 'jam' the respawn? If you have any mods installed, try deactivating them one by one and check after every deactivated mod the respawn.

Bugreport: Well past the area now but the deck four gravlifts seem to be a bit touchy. One instance i could be standing dead in the thing and nothing(and yes i am standing in the right lift) and other times it'll 'catch' me a step or two past where the other lifts generally start working at. Also some of the sounds seem to 'stick' after their scource has been destroyed(destroyed cameras making wirring noises, ninja mutterings from a corpse, ect ect). Its gone away on its own after either time passed or exiting then reentering the level(I think loading the level fixes the problem).

Oh and on the subject of forgien languages, mind translating Weber's line's for us? Not famillair with german m'self and I can't quite make it out well enough to transcribe to see if babelfish can do anything with it.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast