TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water Contest - In These Enlightened Times Sept. 22/06

suewan - Try shooting a couple of water arrows at it.

Is it just me, or was the ambient sound in this mission insanely loud?

TNT had the same problem. Is this one of the FM's with OGG files? I forgot and used darkloader 4.1. I've been too lazy to install 4.3 even though I downloaded it.

No oggs, they're all wave files.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless_Voice View Post
    Yes, when the mission began I ripped the headphones off my head before adjusting the volume.

Quote Originally Posted by john9818a View Post
    I forgot and used darkloader 4.1. I've been too lazy to install 4.3 even though I downloaded it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless_Voice View Post
    I have a hearing problem so I didn't notice that. I usually have the opposite problem straining to hear relevant conversations in games. That's usually my biggest problem which I have to reload a few times to catch the conversations, despite the volume being on loud as possible. I must drive my neighbours to distraction.

OH yes, thanks Nightwalker, I would never thought of that!
    Last edited by suewan; 28th Sep 2006 at 04:52. Reason: tested and tried something new

Is the Teleporter still usable after killing the ghosts with the ankhs, because the particle effect is gone actually?

I'm using headphones too and didn't notice any loud noise.

I take back my earlier comment. I do have DarkLoader 4.2 installed as well as GarrettLoader. I've downloaded 4.3 just recently, but had too many projects going on.

I didn't mean the important sound such as conversations and such, those were the perfect volume (and that conversation was particularly good!) - I meant the ambient sound such as the frogs croaking outside so loud you couldn't hear anything else when standing next to the ambient point...

I have my ambient sound volume slider turned way down, quiet enough that I can barely hear it, (only turn it up for testing my own FMs and when someone has some particularly good custom stuff) but I still thought the ambients were a decent volume. I toyed with the idea of using a regular in game sound effect for an environmental sound, and I nearly blew the headphones right off my head in the process, maybe something similar happened here?
    She's not a maniac, a raving thing, she just goes a little mad sometimes.
    I'm not suffering from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

I'm assuming the author had their ambient sound slider really, really low (the proper position is around halfway IIRC) and made the sound really, really loud to compensate for their own mis-set slider.

Of course, I also always turn my PC's volume up high to play Thief.

Hmmmm. Are the last two posts related?

What do you mean?

I mean... are those two posts related?

That's another author sussed.....

But . . . I asked for help! How could I . . .

Voice Actor
    I did a full reinstall of T2 and Garrettloader and now, all the textures work fine. I finished it in an hour. This was a great mission with nice atmosphere; the journal was a great imitation of Lovecraft's style. I really enjoyed all the new content and the new gameplay concepts.

The only real problem after the reinstall was that the "special gem" didn't do anything for me no matter where or how I used it. I would also have appreciated air pockets in a couple of places. But these are minor things.

The swamp ambient with the frogs was a bit loud but the ambient volume control worked.

Don

The gem should make it easier to see underwater. You just need to be underwater, then "Use" it while it's up in your inventory. When you can see properly, you can find 3 breath potions to get you through the long swims. I expect that you'd only find 1 without being able to see underwater clearly.

Not a bad mission . The gem and especially the alphabet puzzle fit about as well in the story line for me a clunky old thumb. Its nice to add bells and whistles to missions , but in the end nice smooth gameplay trumps all . A little bit of ground fog and some improved sounds could have done alot for the atmosphere of the mission .

I liked the frog sound. Those letters and book are well written, I enjoyed reading them! The wooden floors and the architecture of the building fitted well with the earthy atmosphere of the swamp.
    Unfortunalty I seem to have missed the conversation in game, I'll go looking for the file now.

Ghost
    I'm still missing a secret, even though I have all three hidden objectives -- there are three, right?

Incidentally, that stat read "3 out of 3" even before I found the third one.

Can somebody post a list of all the secrets? I wonder if my missing loot is in the one I missed. I remember I flipped a torch, and I think I clicked on a couple of those little door things embedded in the wall in the Cthulhu-statue room.

Thanks,

Dafydd

Dafydd - Did you go out and have a look on the rooftops above the central flooded courtyard area?

Ghost
    Thanks, NW, that's got it!

Dafydd

I found 3 out of 4 secrets, and I'm missing about 200 loot - connected?
    does it have something to do with the red lever?

I originally thought the glowing stones were to power the alphabet puzzle, so I didn't even try jumping in them once they were active!

I really liked the moist, swampy, squishy, and creepy feel of this mission. It almost made me feel as though things were crawling on me.... or, maybe things actually were .... oh, well.

I think the author hit the perfect level of difficulty with the puzzles (alphabet lock, water gem, barrier removal, etc). They weren't blatantly obvious nor painfully complicated to reason out.

The conversation and the board creaking were very nice touches, too!

Great work, author!

Archivist
    Replayed this one recently and bumping the thread for support.

Nice piece of work. Very atmospheric (with the submerged setting and custom sound effects), good briefing and supporting texts ( to the laundry list), and some special effects that make up for some surprises. That underwater sight gem is a nice touch.
    A pity that the conversations were too unclear to understand what's being said, and that the jungle sounds are a bit too loud. Luckily this stops when entering the complex.

All hidden objectives completed, all secrets found, 100 short in loot.
    for a quality mission, but I expected nothing less from the author.

Beautiful entry for a very succesful contest.