TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else upgrading their pcs in anticipation of Bioshock?

Quote Originally Posted by redrain85 View Post
    I definitely want to upgrade for Bioshock. However, if the game is released early in the year, I will force myself to wait a bit longer. As much as that would suck. But I wouldn't want to play the game on anything less than the best hardware.

My target timeframe for an upgrade is Q3 of next year, when the quad-core CPUs start to arrive. By then Vista will have been patched up, DX10 cards will have been out for a while, and AM2+ motherboards will become available.
    Well quad core will be out in november THIS year: Quoting Anandtech "The first quad-core CPUs will be available in November of this year,".

AM2+ is not the future AMD vise, since they are introducing Socket F four their Quad core and 4x4 gaming platform.

But upgrading for me is a continual process, where I try to balance between what the price of the new hardware is compared to what I can get for my old hardware. Currently I have had my CPU (Athlon 64 3000+) a little to long since I wont get more than 50$/30/40 for it. I think I will wait a little longer though and skip dualcore in order to get Quadcore, when the price goes down a little.

Quote Originally Posted by blondlot View Post
    It's a good feeling to have a game auto select "high" upon its initial run.
    And then it's funny when the game runs like crap on that setting!

Oblivion chooses high by default, but when I find myself in a battle, the game stutters like crazy, it's unplayable. I don't trust auto-detect at ALL.

Irrational Games
    As I've mentioned before, we're still deep into PC-specific optimization on both the CPU and GPU sides, so I can't give anyone specific recommendations yet.

But I can say that investing in a multi-core (either dual- or quad-core when available) will be money well-spent. Bioshock is heavily multithreaded.

-Chris Kline, Lead Programmer, Bioshock

Quote Originally Posted by ckline View Post
    As I've mentioned before, we're still deep into PC-specific optimization on both the CPU and GPU sides, so I can't give anyone specific recommendations yet.

But I can say that investing in a multi-core (either dual- or quad-core when available) will be money well-spent. Bioshock is heavily multithreaded.

Hi Chris..
    Will Bioshock actually be able to utilize all 4 cores of a quad core..?
    in other words do you reckon it to be a good investment for this game to upgrade to quad core compared to upgrading to 'just' a dual core..?

Quote Originally Posted by skumlex View Post
    Well quad core will be out in november THIS year: Quoting Anandtech "The first quad-core CPUs will be available in November of this year,".
    I know . . . but those aren't true quad-core processors, engineered from the ground up to be such.

AM2+ is not the future AMD vise, since they are introducing Socket F four their Quad core and 4x4 gaming platform.
    Yeah, I just found that out. Well, I'll just wait and see. If Socket F is too expensive, I might still go for AM2+. Or I might even switch back to Intel, depending on what they have to offer by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by TG01 View Post
    Hi Chris..
    in other words do you reckon it to be a good investment for this game to upgrade to quad core compared to upgrading to 'just' a dual core..?
    If "heavily multi-threaded" means what it usually does, it'd probably use 16+ cores if you give it the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaker View Post
    And then it's funny when the game runs like crap on that setting!

Oblivion chooses high by default, but when I find myself in a battle, the game stutters like crazy, it's unplayable. I don't trust auto-detect at ALL.
    But it's still a good feeling. This time four months ago I'd install a game, start it up and then, during the initial hardware test, it would snicker, drop back to the desktop and load minesweeper for me.

Speaking theoretically, as I know you're still optimizing, what might this mean to someone like me, who has a plain jane p4 running at a paltry 2.4ghz?

Irrational Games
    Quote Originally Posted by TG01 View Post
    Hi Chris..
    Yes. We currently run

- simulation update (1 thread)
    - UI update (1 thread)
    - rendering (1 thread)
    - physics (3 threads on Xenon, 1 to TBD on PC)
    - audio state update (1 thread)
    - audio processing (1 thread)
    - texture streaming (1 thread)
    - file streaming (1 thread)

Irrational Games
    Quote Originally Posted by blondlot View Post
    Speaking theoretically, as I know you're still optimizing, what might this mean to someone like me, who has a plain jane p4 running at a paltry 2.4ghz?
    It means you should starting thinking of ways to treat yourself this holiday season

Seriously though, we currently are shooting for single-core as part of the min spec for Bioshock, but you definitely won't be able to see the game in all its glory on that spec.

glad i forked out a lot of money for my pc.

-3,6 ghz dual core 64bit
    -2x geforce 7800xfx 256mb in SLI
    -2048 mb DDR2 ram
    -soundblaster fatal1ty X-FI soundcard
    -windows xp pro 64bit (i will be getting vista though as im not satisfied with xp 64bit)

Seriously though, we currently are shooting for single-core as part of the min spec for Bioshock
    One word: OMG.

Quad-core system it is, as soon as they are in the shelves for reasonable price.

I recently upgraded bits and pieces in my rig to be able to play Gothic3 on relatively high detail level and that at least gets me above the minimum requirements no matter how gung-ho the developers get with their project.

To ckline:

Regarding physics: are you considering hardware accelrating physics on the PC?

Or to put it another way are you using Havok FX?

If not, would it be possible to add this in a future patch.

It means you should starting thinking of ways to treat yourself this holiday season

Seriously though, we currently are shooting for single-core as part of the min spec for Bioshock, but you definitely won't be able to see the game in all its glory on that spec.

Now I know what to ask for this christmas- a bank loan

Knowing that my computer will potentially run Bioshock is very comforting. When it's out I'd like to see a side by side (by side) comparison of what you get with single, dual and quad core chips. It may help loosen the ol' purse strings, because right now buying a new motherboard, memory, video card and cpu sends the tiny little miser that lives in my brain and tells me how to spend my money into a fury.

Has the team considered the new physX board? What little I know of it seems promising, but the list of supported games for the upcoming months is weak. Not being a game designer I haven't the foggiest about the degree of labor that goes into the process, so I ask you, would it be unfeasible to modify the PC version of Bioshock to support PhysX or something similar?
    Last edited by blondlot; 11th Oct 2006 at 01:44.

Ken Levine has already stated that they are using Havok 3.0 for physics, so Physx is probably ruled out. Though I wonder why they chose this physics package since Physx is natively supported in Unreal Engine 3.0, which is partly being used in BioShock. (Tryk looking at my Engine Talk thread)

I'm not upgrading my pc at all but when I saw this game a few months back I'd say It did make me lean towards getting an xbox 360 which is alot cheaper then upgrading my whole pc system.

Irrational Games
    Quote Originally Posted by antsco View Post
    I'm not upgrading my pc at all but when I saw this game a few months back I'd say It did make me lean towards getting an xbox 360 which is alot cheaper then upgrading my whole pc system.
    For what it's worth, the XBox360 version will perform the same as, if not better than, a decked-out quad-core PC rig running at 720p with all graphics options set to maximum.

For what it's worth, the XBox360 version will perform the same as, if not better than, a decked-out quad-core PC rig running at 720p with all graphics options set to maximum.
    Will there be keyboard/mouse support on the 360? If so, it wouldn't even be a decision.

BioShock is definetly a console game. Xbox 360 is a priority and PC is just addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
    BioShock is definetly a console game. Xbox 360 is a priority and PC is just addition.
    Hmm.. I hope it will not turn out to be a Deus Ex II ..

Irrational Games
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious View Post
    Not true! Bioshock is going to rock on PC.

We have a whole additional team working on just PC optimizations and support (such as PC-specific UI changes and gameplay tuning). And we're also getting lots of special support from Microsoft now that we're a Games For Windows title.

For anyone geeky enough to care, the reason the XBox360 version is as fast as a decked out PC is because

1) It comes with 3 cores (it's kind of like 6 cores really, if you count hardware thread support) out of the box

2) It has custom graphics hardware that kicks the pants off of anything available on the PC (and anything upcoming that I know of), with a custom written-to-the-metal version of DirectX and a custom memory architecture to support it. You can do lots of amazing things on it that you simply cannot do on a PC due to architectural restrictions.

Then again, the PC has lots of nifty things you can't count on in the Xbox, like virtual memory, guaranteed hard drive availability, hardware audio support (the XBox does processing in software on one of the cores), etc.

Not true! Bioshock is going to rock on PC.

We have a whole additional team working on just PC optimizations and support (such as PC-specific UI changes and gameplay tuning). And we're also getting lots of special support from Microsoft now that we're a Games For Windows title.

For anyone geeky enough to care, the reason the XBox360 version is as fast as a decked out PC is because

1) It comes with 3 cores (it's kind of like 6 cores really, if you count hardware thread support) out of the box

2) It has custom graphics hardware that kicks the pants off of anything available on the PC (and anything upcoming that I know of), with a custom written-to-the-metal version of DirectX and a custom memory architecture to support it. You can do lots of amazing things on it that you simply cannot do on a PC due to architectural restrictions.

Then again, the PC has lots of nifty things you can't count on in the Xbox, like virtual memory, guaranteed hard drive availability, hardware audio support (the XBox does processing in software on one of the cores), etc.
    The 360 sounds ideal from the perspective of internal hardware, but without keyboard and mouse support I don't think I can jive on it. Playing console fps' with analog sticks has caused me nothing but aggravation in the past; unless Irrational has a very novel approach to the control scheme I don't expect my experience to be any different with Bioshock.
    Last edited by blondlot; 12th Oct 2006 at 07:02. Reason: emergency removal of country grammar

Mr. Kline,

I don't suppose you know anything (that we don't know) about the upcoming 360 FPS controller do you?

We're (at my company, not ttlg) all hoping for the right analogue stick to be replaced with a trackball.

http://bodielobus.com/

I know that's PS2 but I can dream...

On another note:

You posted that you have 1 simulation thread and 3 physics threads.

What is the simulation thread simulating if it's not physics?
    Have you implemented the parallelism in a formal manner or just gone with what works? If it's formal stuff, can you tell me who's algorithms you used? Does the parallelism you use even bear any relation to PDES? If it doesn't, how does it work?
    I studied parallel discrete event simulation at university, so this is the stuff I dream of doing while writing VB6/C#/SQL code...

Thanks,

J1M.

I may be upgrading at the end of the year or early next year, because now that I've moved out I have to make do on a 4,5 year old system with an only slightly newer graphics card...you'd be surprised as to how many newer games still run on it, though.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast