TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nostalgia: 29/10/06 Thief 2 FM by my friend Random Taffer and Drysils Chosen

No, I haven't played it either. I've heard that it's good, but never got my hands on it. Thank you though!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I must be stupid. I got the skull and the fish for dinner, and apparently I'm supposed to take the skull to dad, but I can't find him or the hammer temple.
    The hammer temple is behind the gate where the hammerite was arguing with the thief. You'll need to look for another way inside.

Hint:
    spoiler:
    Gone Fishing

Give away:
    spoiler:
    Get inside the Power Station using the key you find beneath the docks. There's a window upstairs. Jump out of it and climb over on the pipes.

Good luck and thanks for playing.

Part 2 is coming along nicely, btw.

Okay; I have to be honest here. The first time I tried to play this FM I got totally frustrated and ended up shelving it (right after it was released). Some of the jumps/mantling were just downright difficult and by the time I ended up in the crypts my life force was down to almost zilch. Add having no blackjack to the mix and my head started hurting. So I figured I'd wait awhile and maybe try again.

Welllllll ... I just went back again this a.m. to try it again and have to admit that in spite of all the zombies & haunts, etc. at the end I enjoyed myself a great deal more than the first time round (never made it out of the crypts that time - got totally confused - maybe I was just having a bad day or something).

The architecture & textures were absolutely breathtaking and the ambience was top-notch. I hope your next FM will be larger and will involve more city exploration (and less undead - a whole lot less, thankyouverymuch) because the city was so fantastically architected and interesting that it seemed a shame to waste it (especially on a kid that was just looking for his father and not loot or vengeance ).

Overall, a great FM and very well constructed. It's okay that it turned out to be rather short (I finished in 40 mins.) because I couldn't have endured spending too much time amongst all of those creepy things at the end; though I would have loved to explore more of that fantastic city.

P.S. Thanks for making it easy to outrun/escape all those nasties, btw.

Just finsihed this FM. I DL it months ago and also got frustrated with it in the beginning, but recently thought I would try it again.

Even though I had to look up all the hints and spoilers to get through it, (so yeah, I think it was a little too hard), once finished, i think it was a really awesome little mission.

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Dia View Post
    I hope your next FM will be larger and will involve more city exploration
    You're in for a treat! Cities are my favorite thing to build. It's gonna be a while though, especially with MoH going on.

Thanks muchly for the compliments Dia and Lucky Hand of Glory, and thanks for giving my fm another shot!

-Rob

That was amazing

What a great debut.

Initially I was a bit turned off by the simple architecture. Not that I know anything about mission building, but recently the fora has been plummeted with fms that have intricate brushing and mazy architecure on several levels, that I was expecting the same. I liked the fog, but otherwise I thought it was kind of laclustre.

Then, it hit me. Somebody had actually spent time trying to deliver lines of VO and it wasn't even Slyfoxx. Then came on the music, the triggers, the delightful ghosting in the catacombs with the tense finishing moments(great use of enemy proximity there, it kept me on edge, yet was survivable) and that NotLD moment right at the end which had me going "Aw crap....run run run!"

All in all, if you choose to continue this refreshingly Garrettless story, a fresh take on the medium, I will keep on applauding, just like now. You've shown you have the talents of a storyteller already; the mission had me harking back to old Make-Your-Adventure books. Going elegantly to the very basics; a growing up story.

Ace, pure ace.

Thank you for your compliments. I'm still working on the architecture and layout of the next mission. (Vagabond) So far, it looks a lot more complex than Nostalgia's architecture and is nearly complete. Then comes the AI and scripting tricks(which Drysil handles). Then my finishing touches.

Hopefully it will be out before summer's over.

-Rob

I too found it very hard first time around and had to struggle to complete it. But its one of those you keep wanting to have a crack at. I thought I'd play it again since the thread arriving back on the first page reminded me I'd enjoyed it before. But this time I wonder, has anyone else found that if you save a game in the middle of placing the stones and then load it, the
    spoiler:
    faces spit them out on the ground and they become unfrobbable!

Same happened to me. I was momentarily annoyed since I thought the glitch had reset the faces.

I was wondering if there has been made a sequel to this excellent FM...

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGuy View Post
    I was wondering if there has been made a sequel to this excellent FM...
    There's a couple in the works currently. (Long overdue, I know)

Work has halted for the moment in my department. I believe Drysil is working on his section currently.

Excellent news, this is one of my favourite FMs, in spite of the undead, let's hope there's less of them

Hey, saw the thread for this FMs in-the-works sequel and decided to finally play the original.

Anyway, I'm about 30 seconds into it and I think I've already encountered a bug that makes it unplayable. I'm assuming the guy in the bank is suppose to give me money or something after he says the line "Here's your money, tell your father to hurry up!" and does the whole I'm giving you something hand motion? Yeah..nothing pops into my inventory. I have all the scripts installed...any suggestions?

He's supposed to give you the bag of gold right off his belt.
    If he didn't, I suggest a reload. Luckily, that's not very far into the mission, so it shouldn't be too unreasonable to do so. Just save after the cam vator sequence so you don't have to sit through it again.

Thanks for the help anyway, but it doesn't seem like any amount of reloading fixes it (I even re-installed it and restarted the level and with no change). Now I'm slightly concerned it might be a problem with one of the scripts I installed...does anyone else have this problem with this mission or am I the only lucky one? I should add that all the other scripted events seem to be working as everyone starts talking at the appropriate time when I walk by them/approach them.

I emailed you a save file that starts out after the bag of gold is in your possession.

Hopefully that helps.

Cheers!

Edit: So apparently, that email on your profile isn't active anymore.
    Give me your current email and I'll try sending it again.

OH, right...sorry about that. I forgot how long ago it was that I created this account. Anyway, the correct E-mail address is in my profile now. Thanks for all the effort in helping me out by the way.

It's my pleasure.

Email sent!
    Let me know if you have any more troubles.

Erm. I'm having the exact same problem as The Mike. I just downloaded it off of thiefmissions. I've rarely had script issues, so might be a problem with the hosted files. Can you send the save to dave.northeast at gmail? Thanks a lot.

Though... if that script failed, perhaps the rest...

Quote Originally Posted by northeast View Post
    Erm. I'm having the exact same problem as The Mike. I just downloaded it off of thiefmissions. I've rarely had script issues, so might be a problem with the hosted files. Can you send the save to dave.northeast at gmail? Thanks a lot.

Though... if that script failed, perhaps the rest...
    As far as I know, that was the only one that failed for Mike. (Since he later posted a review of the mission)

I'll send it to you right away.
    Edit: Sent

Playing this one again but having trouble getting to the crypts

I presume I'm supposed to go down the well in the church compound, but it's blocked with an unfrobbable rock.

In fact I can't find anything frobbable in the whole map. What am i doing wrong?
    I know I finished this one before!

D'oh !
    Never mind - I'd loaded an earlier save and forgot to read a note....

Right off the bat, a problem.

I can't seem to climb through some of the windows. There's one above the fishmonger's near the dock -- I can get into the room but not out -- and the one in the electrical station. I absolutely can't get through the latter window. I've tried about 100 times Is there a trick to doing this? Because it seems to me that's where I have to go next, unless I've missed something. After wandering around for a long time, I can't see any other route.

Edit -- I am seriously hoping I have this wrong and there's another path to take, but darned if I can find it. However, that window has me stumped. I'd say 300-odd attempts, give or take, going and coming back. There aren't even any frobbable boxes I can use...which I don't understand -- what's that all about? Is there something else I should do or somewhere else I should go?
    Last edited by Fraser; 10th Oct 2009 at 23:24.

You can get through the window my mantling onto the control console. There's a small hint in the sign above that says "no climbing".

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I just played the second mission and though it was pretty darned good.