TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: New Black Mesa Source website

The mod's looking good but I agree that the piano music is so hilariously out of place it hurts. I AM TRYING TO KILL ALIENS IN HERE HELLO ooooooooo sad music won't someone think of the dead scientists

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_Taffer View Post
    I listen to that and the piano combined with the ambient background just paints a very solitary picture - if this is used in tandem with the tram intro sequence I can see it being a very desolate and even mildly haunting introduction to the game.
    Ditto. As far as I'm concerned, one of the things that the Half-Life games have done brilliantly on the whole is pacing - having quiet moments to contrast the fast-paced action. If they use that sort of music for the tram sequence, I think it'd be very efficient. (Added to which, I'd say that those of you who think the piano track will play during an all-out action sequence need to have their brains looked at.)

How would anyone with their right mind put a music like that into fight scenes like parts of We've Got Hostiles or Power-Up anyways?

Maybe it's music for the main menu?

Meh, i like the theme song.

Slightly off topic, anyone know some good texture/model upgrade packs for the original HL? I feel like replaying it.

ZylonBane

Of course I know that one, I meant something that further improves the graphics. That wikipedia article gives two additional links, but they're both dead...

I don't know any graphics improvement mods for the original HalfLife, but the BMC mod is doing more than just improving graphics.

You meant BMS, right? Or something different?

Yep, BMS it is. For some odd reason I thought of the word Cource, heh.

Sourpuss Gangsta
    Half-Life Source uses the textures et al from HL2, but doesn't have the Havok physics.

This is one of those labor-of-love projects that fills me simultaneously with admiration- even awe- and the sense that these people really need to get lives. Given the quality of the work I saw on their website I'd rather they came up with an HL2 total conversion or just a solid mod with some depth.

I think most of the music is excellent, even beautiful, but I think the hard techno from Half-Life was a better match for the game.

There are different kinds and levels of creativity, though. Perhaps many of the people on BMS are first and foremost craftsmen (and very skilled ones at that) but don't necessarily think they would come up with a good *original* project. (Let's face it, many mods are anything but original.) Personally, I see the appeal in making a well crafted remake, and I am definitely looking forward to stepping into a revised Black Mesa.

Of course modifications or remakes aren't original, the whole point is to either modify existing content or remake something.
    I'd love to see a brand new SP campaign done the HL1-style though, in the Source engine of course.

I work on BMS because I like modding and I like Half-Life 1. If it was an original project then it probably wouldn't interest me, and I would rather work on something else. There is no rule that mods should be new, original concepts or should be trying to reinvent the wheel. The conventional can coexist with the experimental.

Thanks for all the comments. Some more media is on the way, as soon as Valve manages to get the Steam auth servers functioning and I can start working again. :P

Oh, and to whoever said they aren't playing HL1 in anticipation of BMS: That's silly. Play the original. It's awesome. Whenever BMS finally does get finished, some people are going to say the original was better anyway. Hell, there might be another project to remake our remake - which will prove interesting.

It won't be hard to beat the original in my opinion, I'm so bored of it that I can hardly play it for longer than 15 minutes before I just don't feel like playing. BMS will be a remake, but sure as hell will be fresh air with the upgraded graphics & level design.

Quote Originally Posted by oudeis View Post
    Half-Life Source uses the textures et al from HL2, but doesn't have the Havok physics.
    Only the water textures and some sprites like fire IIRC. Most of the textures are straight from HL1, unfortunately. Monsters also have ragdoll physics, but nothing else does.

It is a lot of work to remake textures, they are probably using the HL1 ones to have something to put on the geometry while mapping and testing the levels.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi View Post
    It is a lot of work to remake textures, they are probably using the HL1 ones to have something to put on the geometry while mapping and testing the levels.
    They're talking about Half-Life Source, not Black Mesa Source.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Of course modifications or remakes aren't original, the whole point is to either modify existing content or remake something.
    I'd love to see a brand new SP campaign done the HL1-style though, in the Source engine of course.
    despite its many flaws, combine destiny had a strong HL1 feel at times.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    despite its many flaws, combine destiny had a strong HL1 feel at times.
    I've just completed playing Combine Destiny and I wouldn't say it's all bad but a little underwhelming, especially the final chapter. The sequel is looking very ambitious and promising though...

I'm sure you'd love to know the They Hunger team is making their first Source project right now, in fact they have almost finished They Hunger: Lost Souls. http://www.blackwidowgames.com/ Should bring back a feeling of nostalgia, considering how awesome They Hunger trilogy was and still is.

I don't like to criticize other peoples' work harshly, but then there's a line between politeness and dishonesty, so: Combine Destiny is terrible. It has no redeeming qualities at all. It is one of the worst examples of level design that I've ever seen, concrete hallway after concrete hallway, fast zombie after fast zombie. And the breathtaking inanity of comparing it to Half-Life 1!... I'm sorry, I need to go rest now, I have a headache.

I think I can agree with that.
    I didn't finish it, and I think that's mostly because of the first levels feeling so empty and random.

Quote Originally Posted by Campaignjunkie View Post
    concrete hallway after concrete hallway
    Half-Life 1
    i rest my case.

now, a bad mod would be the island. the island is the english version of dead sector source, which is a terribly inferior remake of the original dead sector for HL1.

ugh. where dead sector was at times creepy and lonely, DSS/the island completely threw all that out, threw out about 2/3rds of the maps, and turned it into a boring zombie-slaughtering fest. basically the author threw out everything that made the original fun. it doesn't even look all that different- dead sector's texturing job was excellent.

I don't think we played the same Half-Life. The one I played had iconic teal metal lab walls, an even more iconic test chamber, a Fifties-era office complex, a gigantic hydroelectric dam, a cliffside arena, a rusty sewage processing plant / silo complex, and a unique (but frustratingly designed) alien world at the end. Generalizing all of these setpieces into "concrete hallway" would be a mistake.

I guess you could say that Combine Destiny was built to resemble the absolute worst parts of Half-Life (or any other game with concrete hallways), the unimaginative areas that the designers slopped together simply to connect everything else. Sadly, you're still comparing things that were designed 6 years apart, with Combine Destiny still clearly inferior.

At least we can agree that the Island was also terrible.

regardless of what you think of CD, i enjoyed it, though i agree that some of the architecture left something to be desired. IMO the mod had some nice ideas that could've been executed better. and the ending isn't that great.

have you played the original dead sector? despite being wholly in czech, it may possibly be my favourite HL1SP mod ever.