TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Black Mesa Source website

Ravenholm is a fantastic mod, a blast from beginning to end. You can really feel the amount of tweaking and tuning the makers did in this game, where earlier levels slowly build up the momentum and later levels show the kind of intensity and fun reminiscent from the better parts of HL2. Level design is very good and most incredible of all, when you complete it, you unlock something (I won't say it here) and can play through it again with that certain something (I won't say it here).

It's quite long and well paced as well for a mod.

Just to say, word is starting to bleed out that this has been definitively canned. Sad, but not entirely unexpected or suprising.

I wonder if modern engines truly mean the death of the mod/fm scene for all intents and purposes.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    whoa, where did you hear that? do you have a source? if you cite the moddb page, that doesn't count- they close down anything that doesn't update after a certain period of time.

actually, come to think of it, people have been calling BM dead every time more than a month goes by after a media release. a quick look on their forums indicates that they're still working on it.
    Last edited by dethtoll; 16th Oct 2007 at 01:55.

I'd be very surprised if Black Mesa Source was canned at this stage. Unless they've been misleading people quite a bit, they're way more advanced in their project than so many big mods, and you don't just say "Fuck all this work, I'm outta here..." unless there's something else, such as legal problems. Seeing how Valve itself seems to be quite supportive (or at least positive) towards the project, I doubt there are such legal problems. I can see individuals leaving the project, but the whole thing folding at this point? I don't think it's likely.

Source is someone from inside ModDB who claims to have been contacted by a Black Mesa dev who claims it's inactive and trusts his source enough to make a post on a respected gaming site who tend to have their finger squarely on the pulse when it comes to highlighting developments in the gaming industry as of late.

something tells me there's more to this than a simple "well we don't have time anymore."

The Architect
    Team leader Kalashnikov has not been around for a long time, and the rest of the team is pretty much busy with work and school. Kester says that the mod has become too much to handle and organize.
    No, I'd say that sounds very, very reasonable. I hope it's not true, but the reason stated above is as normal as they come.

nightfall said the same thing, but responded to fan pressure and have resorted to an episodic format. it might just save black mesa.

Let's hope so. It'd be a shame for all their fantastic work if this didn't come out in one form or another...

speaking of nightfall, a quick look at their forums says they're in the process of finalizing the first episode.

http://forums.gamernode.com/showthread.php?t=16197

Yea I mean that just proves BMS is totally dead.

I'm one of the team members who "didn't have anymore time" to dedicate to the project. I realized I was dead weight, so I resigned, because the project was worth more than the vanity of having my name attached to it.

As far as that so-called trusted source goes... Don't trust everything you read on the internet, especially from self-proclaimed insiders. Jon ("Kalashnikov") took a back seat 1-2 years ago, so of course he's not going to be around very much. Carlos has been the leader since, and is responsible for most of the progress as of late.

Thanks for that. *phew* I think Black Mesa Source and The Sith Lords Restoration Project are the two mods that I've got the highest hopes for.

BMS is something I've been waiting for, thank god it's not dead.

roffle, i knew it had to be shenanigans.

phew, you got me scared for a second......
    I dreamt BM:S coming out next spring and me playing
    BM:S, HL2, Minerva, Ravenholm, EP1, EP2 in succession......and then EP3
    but EP3 will be released in 2009 if Valve keeps up their release schedule and will be accompanied by Portal2 and a teaser for a new Vavle IP and engine.
    (and peggle, of course) and will be called "the BOX TO END THEM ALL"

and i'd buy it, of course.

though i don't think E3 will take as long as 2009. maybe about a year, barring any serious playtesting problems.

but i think they plan other things in the background, rounding up the package with some other stuff....so that could give 'em the reason to take longer with EP3. which I am not against. since I'm not such an HL-addict I don't mind them to take longer and give us something fresh(er).

i AM a HL addict, and i don't mind them taking extra time to perfect the games. i only just get irrationally angry when they promise a release date and then rescind it. yes i know they'll never make that date, but it's still like finding out you have anal cancer every time it happens anyway.

playing on mothras comment on ep3 i though of a cool selling phrase for it. (im gonna register it and ask millions for it)

One Box to contain them all, One Box to find them in,
    One Box to buy them all and on you play them.

yep. i can really see Gabe Newell placing a big ass camera modeled after his eye on the roof of Valve HQ building.

yeah, but see it like this: ep2 was a huge improvement over ep1 (which felt like a shoddy expansion). so I expect EPICNESS for EP3, they already featured a nice big strider battle@the end of EP2, maybe MIND-WAVE Battles for EP3 or PortalWars.......

BANNED
    How many ep.s are scheduled? I was (until recently) under the impression that ep. 2 was it for HL2.

Ep3 is the final one as far as I know. Might be the end of the HalfLife series, too.

Current rumors are that Ep3 will be the end of "this chapter in the half-life saga" meaning if there is a Half-Life 3 it'll take place elsewhere (Other worlds?).

Valve has mentioned they aren't done with the Half-Life story (Citing Portal as an example) so who knows.

There is also a rumor going around that there will be an Episode 4 developed by a different studio.