TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: New Black Mesa Source website

BANNED
    Wow thanks for the info. What are your sources, if you don't mind me asking?

*hello pg.4 ;( *
    Last edited by DX-455; 16th Oct 2007 at 17:39. Reason: meh

Ep4 is a possibility? That's news to me. I hope it's not just a rumor.

Technically the 3 episodes are all supposed to be HL3, yet it's not a different story arc different from HL2, so I call it HL2.5. As for the Half Life story, depending on what they finish up with in Episode 3 will depend on how much story there's going to be left to tell, but I'm betting there's going to be quite a bit. Valve will have to make Episode 3 epic to have it as the grand finale to HL2 before starting on another story. Odds are they're going to have more unanswered questions when they do give answers. Or they might finish the story of Gordon Freeman, Black Mesa and the Combine invasion in Episode 3, who knows.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    from what i've heard recently, gabe newell/valve have been rethinking the episodic idea. the fact that if there's an episode 4 (which they have alluded to in the past) it'll be handed off to someone else suggests to me that it will be an expansion from someone else's viewpoint, as gordon is pretty strictly valve's department.

as far as episode 3 and beyond is concerned, this is my postulation:

valve by way of the g-man have put emphasis on the phrase "unforeseen consequences", which, for those who remember, was the 3rd chapter of HL1 (and the second chapter with a name on it- chapter 1 is called black mesa inbound, but we don't actually see the name.) again, the attentive will recall that UC takes place in the immediate aftermath of the portal disaster- and thus is aptly named, because the death, destruction, and rampaging aliens are indeed consequences unforeseen by eli vance or anyone else. my postulation is this- whatever aperture property they find onboard the borealis is going to end up creating another disaster- "another black mesa" as has been said. and that's where E3 will end, and the next story arc concerning gordon begins.

I can't even begin to imagine a HL continuation of the Freeman plot that wasn't made by Valve. Spin-offs like Opposing Force, Portal and so on, sure, because Valve can just make sure that they are canon (lol) and allow them to elaborate outside the fuzzy defined lines of the world, but another developer taking control of Gordon? It doesn't seem right.

As for:

Quote Originally Posted by Campaignjunkie View Post
    I'm one of the team members who "didn't have anymore time" to dedicate to the project. I realized I was dead weight, so I resigned, because the project was worth more than the vanity of having my name attached to it.

As far as that so-called trusted source goes... Don't trust everything you read on the internet, especially from self-proclaimed insiders. Jon ("Kalashnikov") took a back seat 1-2 years ago, so of course he's not going to be around very much. Carlos has been the leader since, and is responsible for most of the progress as of late.
    I don't tend to trust much that I read on the internet but I've been a member of shacknews for some time and they usually tend to have their finger on the pulse of the industry (although admittedly usually the real industry and not the modding community), if something's alive or dead, they're usually spot on about supporting or shooting down a rumour. But all that said, I'm glad they were wrong in this instance (though technically shacknews wasn't wrong, just the mod who marked it "Informative" as if it was a legit piece of news).

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Leaked footage

FAQ

Black Mesa: Forever

Wasn't sure BM:S still existed. I'm liking the addition of true iron sights. Now, release it already!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Although the way he uses the ironsights on the revolver looks a bit silly. It's too close, like he's got his got his arms cramped up and the gun right next to his face, instead of having his arms stretched out.

Nitpicking, I know. If them ignoring that issue means the game actually gets released sometime this century I'll gladly live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Although the way he uses the ironsights on the revolver looks a bit silly. It's too close, like he's got his got his arms cramped up and the gun right next to his face, instead of having his arms stretched out.

That's not really true unless you literally press your face directly against your monitor. I can barely touch my screen with my outstretched right arm when I'm sitting normally at my desk, so a "realistic" POV would be pretty close to the Doom one.

verbose douchebag

Level 10,000 achieved
    Those dudes are either lying prone or are standing behind some cover. Either way they're resting their elbows on solid surface, so it's not the same as when standing up or crouched. You'll want to keep your arms streteched out, but not totally straight. Your elbows should be bent slightly to absorb the kickback better. At least that's the way we got thaught how to do it in the military. I'm sure there are other viable stances as well.

verbose douchebag
    Yo, Henke - I posted that as a dry stab at the notion that only near-sighted old geezers would hold a gun that close to their faces - it wasn't an attempt to rationalise it.

20/20,000,000 eyesight - weapon handling clearance: GRANTED!

Maybe Gordon's glasses fall off in Black Mesa: Source!!

From the FAQ link EvaUnit02 provided, it sounds like the iron sight can be toggled on and off so players who prefer classic Half-Life aiming can be satiated. Also, for people who were wondering like me, the devs say the grunts' voices will have the radio filter effect applied for the final release.

Still Subjective
    First part is finally out on September 14th. I hope it was worth the wait.

I'm wondering why they've decided to only release half a game though. You know, the usual hoping it's to coincide with other announcements.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    I wonder if they're breaking it off at Residue Processing to justify the player not having weapons for Part 2?

Unless they intend to release a complete version later...?

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    I wonder if they're breaking it off at Residue Processing...
    They're putting out as far as Lambda Core.

I wondered if we'd ever see this at all - really looking forward to playing. Although.... damn, after this long I have high expectations.

This is awesome. I'm really curious how they'll handle the unpopular Xen levels.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. At least we'll get to play it.

Wait, so this AND lost alpha are coming out in september? That's kind of a landmark event isn't it?

Classical Master 2008
    Definitely looking forward to this. The stuff in the leaked video looks very smooth and polished.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    I'm wondering why they've decided to only release half a game though.
    Considering most mods never get finished at all, half a mod ain't so bad. Maybe if it gets good feedback they'll get energized to finish the last half of the game as well.

I never played the first Half Life, so this'll be my way of catching up.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I never played the first Half Life
    i used to think you were cool man

Level 10,000 achieved
    I WOULDVE PLAYED IT BUT THE HEADCRABS WERE TOO SCARY OK

Yea i do think they really missed their window of opportunity... by like, 5 years. Still, much like DNF, the delay will probably work as a good marketing agent and many people (like me) will download it just because "dude BMS is out!" Probably wouldn't have that momentum if it was announced only a few months back instead of years

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    I'm wondering why they've decided to only release half a game though.
    First they copied ValveTime, now they're going for Episodic Content