TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New Black Mesa Source website

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I never played the first Half Life, so this'll be my way of catching up.
    Play the real game by Valve first, not some Mary-Sue'd up fanfic retelling which Black Mesa will be.

Doesn't even need to be the original Goldsrc version, HL:Source is a 1:1 port with nice HR asset replacement mods available.
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-source-enhanced
    http://hl-improvement.com/forums/ind...?topic=10367.0
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 2nd Sep 2012 at 17:45.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    i don't think that term means what you think it means

Back when Half-Life was released it completely blew me away and it remains one of my best gaming experiences ever, i'm counting on playing Black Mesa to be a big nostalgia injection for me.
    And i too recommend playing the original if you haven't.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Yea i do think they really missed their window of opportunity... by like, 5 years.
    WTF is the "window of opportunity" for a remake? What does that even mean in this context?

It means if they released it 5 years ago it would have been "the shit" but now, while still a laudible effort, wont be as big as popular as it could have been. As someone on another forum said:

So we get to play through (some of) a 10 year old game using 6 year old engine. I'm much less excited for this now.

PC Gamering Smartey Man

using 6 year old engine.
    Pfft. Play Portal 2 and/or CS:GO to see that the current iteration of Source is "with the times".

ZylonBane
    So technology whores aren't as excited. Boo hoo. It's still having higher-res assets thrown at it than it ever did six years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Pfft. Play Portal 2 and/or CS:GO to see that the current iteration of Source is "with the times".
    source engine is clearly outdated and you cant deny that.
    Portal 2 has VERY simple level design,only thing about it is portals itself,but portal technology was even in Unreal Engine 1.
    As for CG:GO... it looks just awful.Blurry textures,lowpoly geometry (look at that arch : http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new...NewImage33.png)

Look at this screenshot for example : http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/imag...ainer_shot.jpg
    H.E.V suit container looks lowpoly
    anyway,games are not about graphics
    BTW i wonder why Valve wont take care of that mod like they did with TF and CS

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    So technology whores aren't as excited. Boo hoo. It's still having higher-res assets thrown at it than it ever did six years ago.
    Yes, which makes up the majority of FPS gamers if you haven't noticed. Hence, missed window of opportunity. I'm not saying it's not gonna be good or worth playing, just that it could have had much bigger reception, "wow" factor, and success several years back.

EDIT: There is also the fact that HL1/2 modding scene is no longer as big or renowned as it used to be. Back when HL1 was still somewhat fresh and HL2 just came out, there was much hype and buzz the team could have capitalized on. Now, the audience for HL2 mods is much smaller.
    Last edited by Yakoob; 2nd Sep 2012 at 21:18.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhide View Post
    but portal technology was even in Unreal Engine 1
    You are woefully ignorant of the difference between Unreal's portals and Portal's portals.

Now, the audience for HL2 mods is much smaller.
    Right, which is why Dear Esther ended up completely ignored. And never mind that this isn't just any random mod, but a remake of one of the most successful FPSs in the history of PC gaming.

Wait, are you really arguing that mod hype today is just as big as it used to be in the HL1 / early HL2 days? Really?

So we get to play through (some of) a 10 year old game using 6 year old engine.
    A 14 year old game using an 8 year old engine. My how time flies.

Long as it looks and plays good, that's all that matters.

verbose douchebag
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    I never played the first Half Life, so this'll be my way of catching up.
    Wow. A shame you missed out on playing it when it was THE game.
    That was an exciting time.

Still Subjective
    Wait, are you really arguing that mod hype today is just as big as it used to be in the HL1 / early HL2 days? Really?
    I don't think mod hype, per se, actually matters in this respect.

It's Half-Life ffs!

And as to people saying Source is "too old". Just get out. Have you played Portal 2? Just because it isn't CryEngine 666 doesn't make it bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    You are woefully ignorant of the difference between Unreal's portals and Portal's portals.
    only difference is ability to rearrange portals dynamically in Portal

And as to people saying Source is "too old". Just get out. Have you played Portal 2? Just because it isn't CryEngine 666 doesn't make it bad.
    yes i played Portal 2 and i liked it,i never said that its a bad game

Still Subjective
    I never said you said it was a bad game.

Classical Master 2008
    ITT: People bitching and moaning about free stuff.

EDIT: There is also the fact that HL1/2 modding scene is no longer as big or renowned as it used to be. Back when HL1 was still somewhat fresh and HL2 just came out, there was much hype and buzz the team could have capitalized on. Now, the audience for HL2 mods is much smaller.
    Actually, which FPS mod scenes are big or renowned nowadays? Genuinely curious.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    I never said you said it was a bad game.
    I never said you said he said it was a bad game. Now I know noone is saying I said you said he said it was a bad game, I'm just sayin'.

I'm not saying it's not gonna be good or worth playing, just that it could have had much bigger reception, "wow" factor, and success several years back.
    I think that after all this time just getting the project and the pressure that came with it off their backs will be all the success they require.
    As far as i know the team, at times, has been extremely small (Down to just one guy) and struggling trying to meet the public demands for a release while taking care of their lives with jobs and families. People forget that this is a product of a few people's spare time and hard work that they give away to the whole world for free. It's taken time because it's just a mod, a hobby and probably not worth sacrificing quality time with your kids for or the money that feeds them.

ZylonBane
    only difference is ability to rearrange portals dynamically in Portal
    Which is a huge fucking difference. And, y'know, all the renderer optimizations that support viewing portals through portals through portals without murdering the frame rate, and a physics system that supports objects being in literally two places at once without blowing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    Actually, which FPS mod scenes are big or renowned nowadays? Genuinely curious.
    None, really, which is all the more reason.

Like I said, I am not discrediting the mod, but just arguing that the exposure and audience will probably not be as big as it would've been back in the hay day, where more people were prone to checking out mods. Sure the die-hard fans and followers will get it, but what about the more "casual" players? Half of them probably dont even have HL2 or the SDK installed anymore and will probably chuck it into the "cant be arsed" category..

PC Gamering Smartey Man

source engine is clearly outdated and you cant deny that.
    Portal 2 has VERY simple level design,only thing about it is portals itself,but portal technology was even in Unreal Engine 1.
    As for CG:GO... it looks just awful.Blurry textures,lowpoly geometry (look at that arch : http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new...NewImage33.png)

Look at this screenshot for example : http://wiki.blackmesasource.com/imag...ainer_shot.jpg
    H.E.V suit container looks lowpoly
    anyway,games are not about graphics
    BTW i wonder why Valve wont take care of that mod like they did with TF and CS
    Art assets and "level design" are fucking irrelevant to an engine's capabilities, you fucking moron. Especially considering multi-platform games which are targeting ancient hardware from 2005 (the consoles PS3 and Xbox 360 I'm alluding to, in case it hadn't penetrated your thick skull). The additions that they've in the current build of Source are several light years ahead of the 2004 build, hell it's noticeably better than 2009's L4D2 version too. You don't need DX11 bells and whistles to considered "with the times", especially since high end graphics are pretty niche market these days.

None, really, which is all the more reason.

Like I said, I am not discrediting the mod, but just arguing that the exposure and audience will probably not be as big as it would've been back in the hay day, where more people were prone to checking out mods. Sure the die-hard fans and followers will get it, but what about the more "casual" players? Half of them probably dont even have HL2 or the SDK installed anymore and will probably chuck it into the "cant be arsed" category..
    We'll see. When the first episode of this game is released and once the news has spread over various forums and news/blog sites like Reddit, RPS, Kotaku, Shacknews, etc I bet that HL2 will be reinstalled in numbers that dwarf the lifetime playerbase of current phenomenon/sacred cow DayZ. Do not underestimate the reputation and wide love of the HL series.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 4th Sep 2012 at 01:45.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Especially considering how much people fall over themselves every time someone starts a rumor of the slight off-chance that Valve might be considering the possibility of talking about maybe revealing the next game in the series maybe.

I liked HL1 a lot, but I'm not drinking the kool aide for this... I think because, except for the first ten minutes, HL2 left me pretty cold in the end, so retooling HL1 to it sounds just ok... It gets a big graphics boost and the controls won't be as clumsy, all good things, but I'm not feeling the spirit of it. I'm the kind of person that likes to watch old movies in B&W and play old games in their native setting anyway.

As for the mod scene, I do hope that HL3 comes with an editor and people start building for it and make a new scene for it. Like you all are saying, there's no FPS out there that's really holding that mantle these days, and HL3 is the obvious candidate.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast