TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New Black Mesa Source website

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    Yes, which makes up the majority of FPS gamers if you haven't noticed.
    Oh, is that why Call of Duty titles and scalable F2P shooters with modest requirements probably have the biggest populations of any FPS these days? "FPS gamers are predominantly technology whores" my arse. If anything hardcore FPS gamers try to scale things down to bare minimum with tweaked configs and the like, to increase their clarity/visibility and game performance. (A good number of the hardcore PC E-sports FPS audience stuck to CRTs for longest time, until 120Hz flatpanels came along. It can take a bit to get games running consistently at 120fps.)

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    Actually, which FPS mod scenes are big or renowned nowadays? Genuinely curious.
    ArmA 2
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 4th Sep 2012 at 03:07.

Someone at BBC might be a fan of the franchise, or something
    (at least I never expected this to appear there)

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19463712

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    It gets a big graphics boost and the controls won't be as clumsy, all good things
    Uhm, HL2's basic controls are identical to HL1. What are you talking about?

Still Subjective
    I think he means movement speed and so on.

Thief has exactly the same controls as Thief DS. They don't feel the same to play, do they?

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    Thief has exactly the same controls as Thief DS. They don't feel the same to play, do they?
    IF he meant the player movement, which yes is less "skatey" than in HL1, then he should have said that. I have never heard the original's controls or movement described as clumsy. They're quite fluid actually.

Still Subjective
    Didn't compute, huh?

When does the next version of your software come out?

ZylonBane
    Ahh, there's the SubJeff we all know and loathe.

Still Subjective
    And to think, I've put up with your pedantry for over 10 years.

<3

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Art assets and "level design" are fucking irrelevant to an engine's capabilities, you fucking moron.
    Go make a Crysis level in System Shock 2's DromEd. I'll wait.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    We'll see. When the first episode of this game is released and once the news has spread over various forums and news/blog sites like Reddit, RPS, Kotaku, Shacknews, etc I bet that HL2 will be reinstalled in numbers that dwarf the lifetime playerbase of current phenomenon/sacred cow DayZ. Do not underestimate the reputation and wide love of the HL series.
    Fair enough, I might be proven wrong. But it's still an extra step for people to do, and that will always leave a few people who'll shrugged it off. The number may not really big significant enough to make a difference.

IF he meant the player movement, which yes is less "skatey" than in HL1, then he should have said that. I have never heard the original's controls or movement described as clumsy. They're quite fluid actually.
    You know I always liked HL1 "feel" when it came to movement, moreso than other games like Unreal. Even compared to HL2. Other games always make me feel like I am sliding on the world, or that I am trying to control a physical body, rather than being the physical body, if that makes sense. I wont disagree HL2's is probably more realistic (the whole "you cant stop/change direction instantly while running fullspeed cause MOMENTUM" argument), but HL1 just felt more rewarding, more... solid?
    Last edited by Yakoob; 4th Sep 2012 at 19:19.

Ignoring all this ridiculous "dead target audience"/"visually deprecated"/"clumsy controls" idiocy and just stating that owning HL2 or any other Source game is not necessary for BM to work. Just get the Source SDK Base 2007 from the tools available in the Steam library and you'll be golden.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    [fat dead comedian.jpg]

When I push "W", I want to just move a little and, yes, the PC skates around more or is more floaty in HL1. I don't even mind how he moves around per se. The problem is I can't control where he's moving as well as I can in HL2 (edit: in the sense of floating off of platforms when I didn't intend to; that sort of thing is the part that'd make me feel like the PC is clumsy, like his body isn't reading my commands as precisely as he could). If I felt I could easily control him skating around, but didn't like it, I might have said something about not liking his movement; but that wasn't my complaint. The control of it was. To tickle your inner pedant for semantics, there are two different senses of "control" here: (1) the keys you push, how that's organized; (2) the ability to control, or feeling control over, the PC as it moves. I meant (2), not (1).

Edit2: I'll also go back to my original point though, even in spite of that, I think I'd still prefer playing HL1 in its native setting, because the graphics & floaty feeling feels somehow authentic to the kind of game it was (not sure if this is part of Yakoob's point also or not), like black & white is authentic to a 1940s movie, and something feels off about rigging it to a new setting and gameplay feel. It's not such a big deal, but I've been happy playing HL1 as it is. Yes, I can imagine this being fun too just because HL1 was also a well designed game whatever setting its in (like Casablanca in color is still a great movie), just... I'm not as rabid about it like some seem to be. It's not a writ-in-stone rule for me though. I was very happy when SS1 got the mouse-look mod going and wouldn't want to go back to the original style for a case like that, even if it is more authentic to the times. Depends on the situation.
    Last edited by demagogue; 5th Sep 2012 at 01:48.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Okay, it's been a good long while since I played the HL series but my first impression when I played HL2 for the first time was that the PC controlled exactly the same across both games. And I still stand by that assessment.

I'm open to admitting my memory is playing tricks with me & I only thought I was in better control of the PC in HL2. In terms of my larger point that's only making me wonder about the added value of this more... So now we're just talking mostly about the better graphics, more polys, better animations, etc. Ah, whatever, I'll probably still play it anyway. If it's already out there & free to play, no reason not to enjoy it.

Nearly dead mod community or not, I can't wait to play this in a few days.

I feel ... weird. Seeing this news. I was a staunch supporter of BMS and ignored the naysayers.

Then I got skeptical. ... about 2 years ago. It's funny because about 3 months ago I looked at the webpage. Saw the complete lack of public updates, and no communication that I could see from the mod team, and I wrote the whole thing off. All the waiting and hoping. And just said screw it.. It's not ever going to be finished and I should just move on. Then suddenly BAM. Its coming out in a week and a bit.

I'm excited, but I'm still jaded. lol. Also I'm still right, because they still haven't finished it.

I'll be playing it in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I'm open to admitting my memory is playing tricks with me & I only thought I was in better control of the PC in HL2. In terms of my larger point that's only making me wonder about the added value of this more... So now we're just talking mostly about the better graphics, more polys, better animations, etc. Ah, whatever, I'll probably still play it anyway. If it's already out there & free to play, no reason not to enjoy it.
    Mostly, but there was a subtle, evolutionary change introduced in Half Life 2. The physics system trained players to go from a new mentality, to where you start to advance not by thinking about items in the game world not as pre-scripted elements of a puzzle, but as objects that exist in their own right and have their own unique properties. In other words it brought the player much closer to the game world.

Unfortunately, the current trend of dumbing-down shooters as much as possible has undone this progress. The most popular franchises now (Gears, Halo, and COD) have thrown this out the window in favor of entirely scripted sequences. For example, the puzzle where you have to add bricks as a counterweight to a lever in order to advance is something that I can't imagine encountering in any of those franchises I just mentioned.

Not sure I'd call it "dumbing down" so much as streamlining - you might as well say that shoes with velcro straps are dumbed down compared to shoes with laces. The puzzles in Half-Life 2 were hardly Mensa material, but they fit the atmosphere and the pacing; in Gears of War or Call of Duty they'd just be silly.
    Last edited by Thirith; 5th Sep 2012 at 04:39.

RAMIREZ! LIFT THAT FRIDGE

Actually there's probably some cross-genre niche market in there somewhere. Some sort of self-aware squad-based physics shooter..

Seconding/thirding the whole "HL1 was floaty" thing, though. I think HL2 was also floaty (but less so): just a sort of general feel that the game world is slightly coated in ice. Makes precision ledgework horrible, in contrast to say..early unreal engine games.

Quote Originally Posted by DDL View Post
    RAMIREZ! LIFT THAT FRIDGE

Actually there's probably some cross-genre niche market in there somewhere. Some sort of self-aware squad-based physics shooter.
    Definite potential there for nuking the fridge, to recoin a phrase, eh?

To get back to Black Mesa Source: even if it ends up little more than a glorified reskin with added physics, I'm looking forward to it.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCToad View Post
    For example, the puzzle where you have to add bricks as a counterweight to a lever in order to advance is something that I can't imagine encountering in any of those franchises I just mentioned.
    I can't imagine a laser duel in a 1600s Japanese period piece. Wow.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Volitions Advocate View Post
    I'm excited, but I'm still jaded. lol. Also I'm still right, because they still haven't finished it.

I'll be playing it in any case.
    If I never get to play their interpretation of Xen then I'm fully okay with that, because Valve's vanilla Xen was so awful I sometimes end my HL1 replaythroughs at the portal. Platforming; level design with no cover from instahit electric attacks... fuck Xen. I'll take Body of the Many over it any day.

Level 10,000 achieved
    21 minutes till this bad boy is out WHUP WHUP

Installed HL2 in preparation, guessing I'll need it to run the mod.

edit: 5....4....3....2....1....403 Forbidden

lol

mod website off to a bad start
    Last edited by henke; 14th Sep 2012 at 11:49.

Seems like the site died a heroic death.
    "Website is currently unreachable"

EDIT: Found a working mirror:
    http://www.shacknews.com/file/32999/...dows-free-game
    Last edited by Malleus; 14th Sep 2012 at 12:17.

Downloading. Can't wait to play it .

Level 10,000 achieved
    Thanks for the link Malleus!

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast