TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New Black Mesa Source website

Torrent here too, now working (not too fast though):
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ba8kfb4xu4jjvna

EDIT: Supposedly faster torrent with more trackers (just add the new trackers if already using the previous one)
    https://dl.dropbox.com/s/x0ctk1u9e4u...s.torrent?dl=1
    Last edited by Malleus; 14th Sep 2012 at 12:41.

Get the torrent from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?651x4rf8k6rebav

Add the following trackers to the torrent:

udp://tracker.publicbt.com:80
    udp://tracker.ccc.de:80
    udp://tracker.istole.it:80
    udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80

(In the trackers tab of your torrent client, right click and select Add Tracker and paste these in, leaving an empty line between them)

Get Black Mesa at an average 300 Kb/s (way faster than the other links at the mo) and it will probably just get faster as more peeps get in on it.

Oop as Malleus said, soz

Thanks for the link Malleus, Added the extra trackers I didn't already have. it gave me a nice boost. I"ll be seeding this all day.

Currently downloading ~400K/s ...errr as I typed this it just jumped to 700 - 800. Wow, those trackers really helped.

I'm uploading at a steady 250K/s.

yeah... download speed is still fluctuating. A lot.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    21 minutes till this bad boy is out WHUP WHUP

Installed HL2 in preparation, guessing I'll need it to run the mod.
    I don't know if having HL2 will work or not, They say you need the 2007 SDK, If you've got HL2 installed already it should only be a couple hundred MB to download.

Downloaded, Installing.....

Hermit-izing. See you tomorrow.

Still Subjective
    1 week to go.

Download complete. Now to test this out .

[edit]
    Well I'm exploring the complex (prior to the explosion etc). Odd. You can drop some objects into others. As in, you can drop books into other books + other things. Minor nit picking.

Love the new look of everything and the voice acting is top notch for a mod.

Spoilers time. For a free achievement be sure to give the guy some toilet paper just prior to getting the hazard suit.

[edit 2]
    Well I played for a good hour and a half. Quite good so far, though the enemies attack speeds have changed somewhat which is going to take some getting used to. And the sonic wave enemies sound prior to doing the attack is more quicker and much quieter, giving you less time to rush in and hack them to death before they can attack compared to Half-Life 1 standard.

And now I'm off to bed.
    Last edited by icemann; 14th Sep 2012 at 17:21.

ZOMG the houndeyes, they did a good job.. If its any indication on what they did with the bullsquids i'm looking forward to my first encounter.

The vortigaunts are pretty BA as well. the first encounter I had with the one that teleports into the broom closet actually killed me before I even saw him. He flung the door right between the lobes of my brain.

The only complaint I have so far is that the voice acting for Eli is quite terrible. Other than that, I'm enjoying the hell out of myself. despite myself.

3 days 14 hours to go....

THE PI IS A LIE!!!

Man this is amazing. I'm surprised at how much they've improved on the original. It's like playing the game again for the first time.

What's nice about it is that it's very true to HL. I'm talking the textures and colour palette. It's still kind of cartoony, but a little more realistic without getting rid of the old feel. Just enough HL1 without too much HL2.

It's too bad that they kept the maps basically the same as the original though. I was hoping for more of a REmake kind of a mashup of locations. Not complaining though. And I'm still seeding for ppl still downloading. Hopefully its a bit easier now than it was this morning.

The mod is... surprisingly amazing. Really well done job, much higher quality than you expect from typical modders, and the attention to detail is superb as well with little "details" (like turning off screen savers when you use a keyboard, or little environmental details). The whole opening right after Resonance Cascade is strangely... beautiful and atmospheric. Really makes you feel "aww shit went down badly" with all the destruction, music, people on fire, etc. My only complaint is that it feels a little too floaty and fast, but that might be a HL2 thing.

Just got to the first bullsquid. Continued tomarrow!

It really is quite something, isn't it? And, finally, after 14 years I managed to get that guy a roll of toilet paper.

Hey Angel Dust. Notice the vending machine?

Still Subjective
    Well I don't know what I'm doing wrong (and yes, I haven't torrented overnight) but still only 36% DLed.

ZylonBane
    Well, it certainly looks good. But we already knew that. What I don't get is why they changed so many of the iconic sound effects, even when direct equivalents existed in HL2. Almost every sound effect that's been changed, has been changed for the worse (oh god would that damn fire-alarm clanging shut up!), IMHO. As for the music, I understand why they couldn't legally include the original tracks, but nonetheless, the immediate post-cascade gameplay just isn't the same (nor as good) without this playing in the background. It probably won't be long before someone puts out a mod to hack the original music in. Also holy crap that constant screen vibration in the test chamber was annoying.

Anyway I've taken a break at Blast Pit, which seems bugged. The creatures keep killing me even though I'm crouch-walking and tossing grenades everywhere except where I am.

(and so... freaking... much... ctrl-jumping required)
    Last edited by ZylonBane; 15th Sep 2012 at 16:33.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    What I don't get is why they changed so many of the iconic sound effects, even when direct equivalents existed even in HL2.
    I was just about to mention how I miss the original soundscape of HL. Wasn't this because the sound files weren't high quality enough? I don't know though.

EDIT:
    Anyway I've taken a break at Blast Pit, which seems bugged. The creatures keep killing me even though I'm crouch-walking and tossing grenades everywhere except where I am.\
    That never worked for me in the original either. You were/are only (mostly) safe while hanging on ladders. So toss a grenade, run to the nearest ladder and climb on it (be close to the top), then repeat.
    Last edited by Malleus; 15th Sep 2012 at 16:14.

Level 10,000 achieved
    I've found that often when playing an old classic that I've missed out on the first time I can't help but be disappointed. I'm glad to report that in this case that absolutely isn't true. This is great. Ofcourse I can't say how much that is thanks to the strengths of the original game and how much is thanks to the mod, but I'm enjoying it a lot.

Pictures from my trip so far.

Damn those screens look freaky - too little lighting, too photo realistic. I prefer the original look. They have wasted 8 years of work in my eyes LOL

Still Subjective
    Good thing no one in the world but you cares what you think.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

ZylonBane
    zjazjda may be an idiot, but he's right about one thing-- Black Mesa is really freaking dark. Even with the gamma cranked, I'm using the flashlight a hell of a lot more than I did in the original.

Chakat sex pillow

Yeah, and the resonance cascade flashes are all but gone except for the vortigaunt vignette. Still, it's quite faithful to HL1 in terms of design while being quite detailed, with some interesting changes. I really like the voiceovers, and some of the new overheard conversations are gold.

henke posted some character shots; allow me to complement them with a special effects shot or two:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/crimson...shortcutid=375

Pretty.

"quite faithful" is an understatement. I didn't expect that kind of fidelity from a re-imagining, this feels more like a remake. They even kept the stupidest and most unrealistic thing ever (you know, that button... yes that button, the one under the spinning blades of a giant fan). But then you've got levels like "On a Rail" which is the single best thing ever striking a perfect balance of novelty and faithfulness, and all is forgiven.

Anyway, besides a few bugs and the missing "auditive identity" of Half-Life, there are other issues that I would like to see addressed:
    • Marines are too powerful and precise. Their fire should scatter a bit more and they could fire in smaller bursts as in the original Half-Life. That way, they wouldn't overwhelm the player so easily, which could allow time to realize that BM's hgrunt IA is actually quite good.
    • Vortigaunts, on the other hand, do not deal enough damage and take too short a time to charge. They probably did it to make them feel more dynamic, but they also feel like cannon fodder instead of the vicious, sniping powerful assholes that they were.
    • Magnum iron sights are a nice touch but too imprecise to use. There is too much shaking and the delay until it is usable is too big. At the moment, it's more precise to use the regular crosshair with the magnum.
    • The crowbar is more floaty and seems to have less length than in Half-Life. It is the default HL2 behaviour, which doesn't feel good IMO. HL1 crowbar has punch, inertia and 15 pounds of satisfaction.
    • Grenades don't appear to do much damage

ZylonBane
    I can now report that Residue Processing is, if anything even worse than the original. That's some serious Super Mario Bros. shit there. But then Questionable Ethics follows right after and makes up for it. Almost. Until the very end where the aforementioned super-powered Marines ambush and many, many quickloads ensued.

One thing the guys who created this obviously do not grok is how to do proper signposting. There seems to have been little thought given to consistently indicating which switches/knobs/levers/doors/etc are usable, and which are just decoration. And enough with the physics props. Some areas are nearly impossible to get through without kicking chairs and trash cans all over the place.

Best line from NPC following me so far: "oh I see what you're doing. You're giving me the silent treatment."

super-powered Marines
    Hmm I just encountered the first few squads and they weren't too bad. Hanging back + magnum seems to dispose of them well so far.

I do agree about the music - while it's not particularly bad, it's just not... fitting :/

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast