TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: New Black Mesa Source website

I haven't minded the music at all so far. And have had no problems with the marines at all. Just aim at the head with the pistol (for ammo conservation + accuracy) and its all good. Or if in close quarters stick to the shotgun and you'll be fine.

I have to say that I hate the marine sound effects compared to the original. Would love to have the old ones back in.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    I can now report that Residue Processing is, if anything even worse than the original. That's some serious Super Mario Bros. shit there.
    God dammit.

Oh well. I guess the place is quiet because everyone is playing this. It's good so far, but crashes now and then when they overlay the particles a little too much. This is probably because I have everything turned up to eleven ( which means I want to move it over to the new machine. Which means downloading HL2, and every other bloody thing it needs. Or I could turn it down a bit I guess)

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    ( which means I want to move it over to the new machine. Which means downloading HL2, and every other bloody thing it needs. Or I could turn it down a bit I guess)
    Hm? BMS just needs the Source SDK Base 2007 installed.

If you mean installing your existing Steam games onto a different machine, then just copy over your \steam\steamapps\ directory wholesale.

Hm, well I'll try that then. I've grown to assume installs are going to be less than robust, over the years.

Chakat sex pillow
    Well, your installs will be fine, it's just that your saves won't make the transition. You'll need to sniff 'em out from your Users folder and the messy nests of folders that they reside in within it.

Still Subjective
    DLed, installed, press the Play button in Steam, nothing happens.

Ho hum.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Did you restart Steam before pressing play? I think you had to do so to get the SDK stuff properly installed.

Still Subjective
    The SDK wasn't installed for some reason. Well I guess I didn't do it when I migrated to the new HD.

Played up to the bit where the first spitting alien arrives. It's very good. I don't remember the details of the original as I last played it shortly after it came out. The research labs before the cascade were really big. Very nicely done. Good job all around but damn I hate this CTRL jumping.

I'm absolutely loving this. I'm probably right in the sweet spot for it; I played Half-Life enough times that I'm remembering all the stuff as it turns up but it's been so long that any things they've got 'wrong' haven't bothered me (although ZylonBane's linking of that original track has got me pining for soundtrack mod a little). The tweaks and additions they've made have been subtle but mostly welcome, I think they've improved on the initial post-cascade section, and I'm glad they haven't overdone it because it is still one of the greatest single-player campaigns ever made.

The CTRL jumping is rubbish though. Why didn't they just make the standard jump higher?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Why did I just blast a rocket off into space?

I mean, it was awesome and everything and I really liked the way the smoke particles filled up the sky afterwards, but why did I do that? Can't say I'm keeping up with the story at every turn. A lot of the short-term goals are clearly defined a keep the game going, like turn on the fuel to kill the tentacle-monster, or turn on the power to start the train, but I'm not sure what my main objective is. It was "get to the surface and don't die" a while ago, but now that I'm at surface-level I seem to be heading underground again?

verbose douchebag
    It's good. Sometimes excellent. I like the darker environment - feels creepier and requires more flashlight usage. The effects are great, I Particularly like the power they gave to Vortigaunt teleporting in by making objects around it break, fall. The ctrl jumping is seriously stupid though. Why not make normal jump higher? This one goes to 11.

Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post

I mean, it was awesome and everything and I really liked the way the smoke particles filled up the sky afterwards, but why did I do that? Can't say I'm keeping up with the story at every turn. A lot of the short-term goals are clearly defined a keep the game going, like turn on the fuel to kill the tentacle-monster, or turn on the power to start the train, but I'm not sure what my main objective is. It was "get to the surface and don't die" a while ago, but now that I'm at surface-level I seem to be heading underground again?
    Wasn't there a dying old man or two who mentioned why those things were? The original has them.

It was "get to the surface and don't die" a while ago, but now that I'm at surface-level I seem to be heading underground again?
    It turns out the "get to the surface" objective is clearly a no-go because the USMC are killing everybody. After that, a scientist at the end of 'We've Got Hostiles' tells you to head to Lambda Core (through the rocket test lab and the railway system), beause a group of scientists there are trying to fix the whole situation. Then a guard at the end of 'Power Up' tells you that the team at Lambda Core needs the satellite up to clean up this mess, and that you have to do it because the military aborted the launch.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    Spoilers time. For a free achievement be sure to give the guy some toilet paper just prior to getting the hazard suit.
    I couldn't find any!

Still Subjective
    Me neither

Besides, he only gets headcrabbed a little while later so why bother?

Seriously, would you rather die unwiped?

(The toilet paper is next to the sinks in the bathroom.)

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Malleus View Post
    Then a guard at the end of 'Power Up' tells you that the team at Lambda Core needs the satellite up to clean up this mess, and that you have to do it because the military aborted the launch.
    Ah thanks. I remember the guard passing on a message from the scientists but the part about it being a satelite meant to clean up the mess I must've missed.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post
    Seriously, would you rather die unwiped?

(The toilet paper is next to the sinks in the bathroom.)
    Seriously, guys. It's like... right there! Were you folks trying to check the other stalls?

My thoughts on this:

1. The soldiers and helicopters are waaaay overpowered. Once you get to the end of Questionable Ethics, the difficulty spike is massive.

2. I miss the Black Mesa PA system. They really need to add that back in.

3. I noticed that one map was missing. It was the one where the soldier throws a det pack in that tube and you have to run away from the fireball and back into the water. Maybe it was unfinished as well. I have no idea why they'd cut it entirely.

All in all it was pretty great.

I agree with the soldiers. As soon as you peer around a corner, even if they're not looking over there, they instantly start shooting at you. It's just not fun combat.

And then there's the blast pit with the tentacle monsters... wow did they fuck up there. I really liked this part in the original, but it's so incredibly irritating this time. They are so much more random than the original ones. And then, once I got instantly killed because one of them was smashing the ground on the floor below the one I was on.

The maps and textures are all great, and I love all the scientists and guards and their interactions, but yeah there are a few things that are just rage-inducing (the stuff above, and also: ladders and jump "puzzles" anyone?).

Quote Originally Posted by faetal View Post
    It's good. Sometimes excellent. I like the darker environment - feels creepier and requires more flashlight usage.

Completely agree, it's not nearly as dark as Doom3, and I'm finding it does make it a bit more sinister and atmospheric imho. I'm enjoying this change, altho it doesn't always mesh with the super-fast, "LOOK MA IM SKATING" gameplay.

I agree with smallfry about ladders too, after a few first ones I thought to myself: "ah, I'm glad that over ten years later the ladders are still fucking impossible to get off of. At least BM is paying tribute to the original in that way." Don't mind the ctrl+jump so much, I think I have it ingrained in me after playing HL and HL-based mods/games for years. I actually get annoyed when some FPSs dont let me crouch jump

That's more or less how I felt playing HL1. "Oh you want me to flip that switch down it the basement because. Oh ok, give me a few..."

I didn't have any problem with Blast Pit. It was the same as the original. I just chucked a grenade in the opposite direction and ran for it.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    I didn't have any problem with Blast Pit. It was the same as the original.
    No, it really isn't. Ladders aren't nearly as safe as they used to be, the tentacles can now target you even when you're crouch-walking, it's no longer possible to temporarily stun them by tossing a grenade into their pit, and one or more of them will often ignore explosion sounds. The only saving grace is that their attacks are no longer insta-kill.

I'm nearing the end of the mod, passing 2 areas that I absolutely hated. 1 was the waste management facility. Man that level just goes on, and on and on. Hated it. And the huge room with all the trip-wires, where setting one off blows the room and yourself up. Other that that, I've enjoyed the rest of the levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    "ah, I'm glad that over ten years later the ladders are still fucking impossible to get off of. At least BM is paying tribute to the original in that way."
    Don't remember how it was in the original, but in BM you can press E to get off of ladders. Once I realized that they became much less annoying.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 ... LastLast