TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast

Thread: New Black Mesa Source website

I've been falling to my death on a fair few of the ladders quite regularly. Maybe its the hit detection on them or something I dunno.

ZylonBane
    Anyone else finding that the music volume setting has absolutely no effect on music volume?

Level 10,000 achieved
    Yeah I found that too. It's so damn high by default that it's sometimes hard to hear if you're being shot at during the more actiony parts. I turned it down to 50% but it changed nothing.

Just finished it. Its a seriously impressive mod, and a lot of fun to play - atmospheric, exciting, (mostly) tightly paced and extremely pretty for the most part. Definitely highly recommended. In terms of a HL remake though, there are a few issues - a lot of what I remember to be the most mental fights have either been screwed up a little (the bit where you are fighting a bunch of dudes from a storm drain I remember in HL as being a brilliant opportunity for traps, hit-and-run and grenade shelling, but it doesn't quite work in BMS), or are just missing (On a Rail and Surface Tension don't seem half as action-packed as I remember them). As a consequence, the sense of the situation rapidly degrading from containment into a full-blown war (that the HECU are losing) doesn't really come across that well. Plus,

the bit where you get the snarks - wtf? They only work on people or zombies, and the first thing you meet after getting a snark pod is a gargantua. I threw one at it anyway, just before it stepped on my head.

I suspect (or hope) there might be a few bits still getting polished up for those two chapters, as a few really big xeno vs human battles is kind of all that's missing. Anyway, in summary - brilliant mod, well worth playing, HL is still better (even if it does now look like shoe-box dolls doing a C3PO impression), but mainly because they didn't nail the sense of constant escalation and chaos as well as the original. Mind you, not much does except HL2.

Oh yeah and the music blows (generic metal-ish 'EPIC' drudge for the most part). Oh well.
    Last edited by Vivian; 17th Sep 2012 at 13:24.

ZylonBane
    While playing through, it's occurred to me multiple times that these guys don't have even early Valve's sense of creating memorable spaces. Even when set piece locations are faithfully recreated, they feel like they've been "flattened" into a continuous flow of combat with few breaks.

For example, there's a spot in Office Complex where you come across a cafeteria massacre scene. Brief music kicks in as you behold the bodies strew everywhere and a few zombies feeding on the dead, ignoring you. You enter the cafeteria, and headcrabs break through the ceiling, ambushing you. Then after you clear out all that mess, you have to head into a long, pitch-black hallway to reach the next section.

In Black Mesa? There's a cafeteria. Zombies attack you immediately. On to the next section!

Level 10,000 achieved
    Are you saying it would've been more memorable if it'd been exacly like in the original? Personally, I'm liking a lot of the level design. Like the Silo where the tentacle-arm-boss is, and the different sections it branches off to, and the underground tram-rails with all the stations along the way. And stuff like...

This work station. Old computer, coffee mug, chemicals under the desk. It looks lived-in, and it brings to mind the phrase "It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it".

I really liked the whole trek along the cliff edge, the view is epic, and gets even more so when a facility in the distance is bombed and black smoke stretches across the horizon. But I think my favourite part of the level was decending down this building. One misstep and you could be falling down to the bottom, it's almost enough to give you vertigo.

A lot of the lighting is very well done.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by henke View Post
    Are you saying it would've been more memorable if it'd been exacly like in the original?
    There is not enough facepalm in the world.

Still Subjective
    I think the issue is that Valve had the pacing so right that speeding it up doesn't give you time to take it all in. They should have eased off if anything.
    Telepathy is not mind reading. It is the direct linking... ...of nervous systems... ...separated by space.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    There is not enough facepalm in the world.
    I'll palm your face if you don't start giving me some straight answers buddy!
    Last edited by henke; 17th Sep 2012 at 17:48.

I was disappointed with the immediate post-cascade segment, mostly because the AI guards seem to stop shooting once something (like a zombie) gets close enough. Does anyone remember what they'd do in the original?

I don't think the security guards had a melee attack in vanilla Half-Life, so they just kept shooting until they or their target died.

I noticed in BMS the first live security guard I came across refused to fire at point-blank/contact-shot ranges. My guess is that this is a bug rather than intended behavior.

Just started Blast Pit and am having a lot of fun. Nostalgia overload threatens to pop brain cells. So few left...

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    I was disappointed with the immediate post-cascade segment, mostly because the AI guards seem to stop shooting once something (like a zombie) gets close enough. Does anyone remember what they'd do in the original?
    In the original, they'd usually start shooting for a bit, then start running right towards the zombies or whatever (usually stopping a few metres away from them) and start shooting again. I found their behaviour quite annoying since they'd usually block your line of fire and they'd would get killed quite easily.

By comparison, the guards seem smarter in BMS; they usually try to back up and get some space against the zombies, plus they can also shoot whilst moving backwards. I think there's a glitch in the HL2 AI for friendlies because once or twice they started backing up without shooting or didn't shoot, but apart from that, no issues.

I haven't had the chance to try these out, but here's some tweaks from the forums to reduce the Marines' super quick reaction times;

Go to Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\[username]\half-life 2\hl2\cfg\ and create a blank document in Notepad called autoexec.cfg

Put these commands into the autoexec.cfg file, save it and then run the game.

ai_reaction_delay_alert "0.3"
    ai_reaction_delay_idle "0.75"

Well, I've just spent the morning playing this and I'm having a lot of fun, though there's an awful lot of niggles. Nothing significant at all, but there's a certain clunkiness to it. Movement seems - I don't know, heavy. Perhaps that's what folks like these days; I'd definitely agree it's maybe more realistic (for want of a better word) than the skateboarding days of old, but I want to be able to jump the fuck around like a lunatic. And I pretty much immediately turned off that slight lean when strafing (). The particles effects are ugly as sin and overused. The crates break weirdly. For some reason the flashlight doesn't work on geometry or certain props (though that's probably just my hardware or some source fuckup). Eli has an out of place New York twang (Though Kleiner is spot on! - and I loved the introduction of his headcrab interest; could that be Lamarr?). Crouch jumping is a pain in the ass. And as a number of people have already said, it lacks the aural identity of the original (a health machine just aint a health machine without a seeedeeedeeedeeedeeeedeeee noise!)

I think after the resonance cascade I really started to appreciate what they've achieved, though. I remember thinking just quite how much more horrific it all seemed than Half-Life, which is almost comedic in comparison. For example:

The elevator in Unforeseen Consequences shortly after the test chamber; you hit the button and the whole thing comes crashing down, killing the occupants, I remember laughing my little 10-year-old head off at that. This time around, hearing the pleas and fear from the occupants all the while knowing that my only way to progress was to hit the button to trigger their demise - man, it was quite harrowing.

Additionally, increased zombie population and nice use of lighting gave it a far more oppressive and overbearing feel than I remember from the original.

Right now I'm reaching the end of Office Complex. The novelty of HD Half-Life is already wearing off a bit and the atmosphere has been lacking since Unforeseen Consequences. I've managed to accumulate quite an entourage too, which I feel is a bit removed from the original game's spirit. My favourite chapters are on the way - We've Got Hostiles, Powerup, Blast Pit and On a Rail (and of course Questionable Ethics and Surface Tension later on), so I'll be cracking on with this tomorrow.

I can't help but think they accidentally overhyped this. They mostly kept quiet for the past few years, sure, but I seem to recall them saying that this would be more of a re imagining of HL than a remake. I've found a hell of a lot of the layouts and geometry to be almost identical to the original (which probably pleases most folks, I guess), but I really was holding out for something a little more. Heck, I'm not really complaining, I'm having a blast and I look forward to seeing the rest of it.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by ANTSHODAN View Post
    Movement seems - I don't know, heavy. Perhaps that's what folks like these days
    Yup. My first impression of the movement was that it was way too fast, like I was speed-walking everywhere when I was supposed to be just regular-walking. I got used to it after a few minutes though.

ZylonBane
    Must have been a while since you played the original Half-Life. In the original, Gordon's default movement speed is running.

Well I've finished off the mod (till the Xen update happens anyway) and overall I very much enjoyed it. A fair few of the enemies seemed easier than I remember them being. Maybe my fps skills have just improved since I last played the original. I didn't die a hell of alot during combat, other than times where you got zerged by marines. The final bit with the massive teleporter was HEAPS easier than I remember also. I remember dying at that bit a fair bit in the original.

The amount of jumping puzzles + the teleporters puzzles towards the end I didn't like.

Those issues aside I loved it on the overall whole. I look forward to seeing how Xen turns out.
    Last edited by icemann; 19th Sep 2012 at 02:08.

Moderator and Priest
    I beat it last night, and I thought it was...yeah...pretty damn good. ZB is right about the overall feel of the game. It doesn't have quite the same visceral punch as Half-Life.

That's not to say it's horrible. Far from it. Valve is the best at what they do. They're about the only studio I've seen that can make a game feel truly cinematic without falling back on cheap gimmicks or taking too much control from the player. The fact that a bunch of free time modders managed to come within spitting distance of the gold standard is impressive enough.

Really, the only complaint besides having to endure residue processing again would be the eagle eyed soldiers with catlike reflexes sporting marksmanship skills that makes Simo Häyhä look like a mildly retarded myopic cross eyed kid with a cheap BB gun. Seriously, you couldn't even take a quick peek around a corner without some random guy pegging you right between the eyes from 600 feet away the very instant you showed enough forehead to give him a clear shot. And with a machine gun no less.

That scene with the Osprey right before you reach Lambda? Yeah. I'm not ashamed to admit that I had to godmode it towards the end. I mean how the hell could I take out their air support when I had at least 6 guys hitting me with 99 shots out of 100 through a hole in a wall a story up and a football field away. I'd die before I could even take the 2.5 seconds required to aim the rocket launcher properly.

Beyond that one GLARING FUCKING PROBLEM...yeah it was pretty good. If HL was 100, I'd give BM a solid 75-80.

Also, anyone notice that the assassins are wearing the same footgear as Chell from Portal? Among other things, it makes me believe the mod is going to make an attempt to tie the story into HL2 a little better.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    That scene with the Osprey right before you reach Lambda? Yeah. I'm not ashamed to admit that I had to godmode it towards the end.
    Are you talking about the part where you have to fight about six Marines at a time up a ramp, that are constantly being refreshed by Osprey drops, and once you finally clear them out you have to take out a couple of the big alien warriors?

If so, yes, fuck that part. Only way I could get through it was to hang all the way back and snipe the first wave with the crossbow, then haul ass up the ramp with a fully-charged Tau Cannon and blast the Osprey before it finishes dropping off the second wave. And if you somehow make it through that, then you have to trade shots with a frickin' TANK, trying to take it out with that awful manual-load mortar launcher.

In the original this was a fun setpiece, because you could pretty much just hang back and watch the Marines and aliens take each other out if you wanted.

Moderator and Priest
    That's the part. I held back on the ramp for the first, I'm guessing, three waves. I used up the Tau and crossbow bolts for quick kills, and the three rockets I had handy to take them out en masse whenever they happened to bunch together. Never once did I think that the helicopter noise I was hearing in the background was the Osprey dropping off more and more and more of them behind the scenes. I didn't find out about that until I figured I killed everyone there was to kill, and headed out to discover...

...a shit ton more waiting up top for me.

That was about the time things quit being fun.

Is that the bit where the plane keeps dropping off troops till you take it out?

If so, weird I had no problems at all in that bit. Just kept aiming for the head with the pistol, took out the plane on the third wave, mopped up the survivors then moved on.

I had remembered that bit back in the original HL1, and of the need to take out the plane asap.

[edit]
    Just did a quick double check and noticed that the mod defaults to easy mode on startup. I had assumed it was on normal setting. No wonder the game seemed easy. God dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by icemann View Post
    alot
    alot
    ALOT
    ALOT

I wonder if alots are from Xen.

And I didn't do that intentionally in my earlier post. Whoops .

I've played 1-2 hours so far and am enjoying it quite a bit. Yes, there are rough patches, but by and large I think it's an amazing achievement.

Having said that, it feels weird to play such a hybrid between HL1 and HL2. My first impression was that this is pretty much how Black Mesa looks in my head; my second impression was that the update highlights the disconnect between the two Half-Life games in terms of tone and style. HL1 is much more pulpy - not saying that HL2 doesn't have these moments too, but on the whole it's more subdued, more 'Chris Nolan realism'. Revisiting HL1, even with the updated visuals, feels very much like a FPS time capsule.

ZylonBane
    Apparently I just managed to reboot the Lambda Lab reactor, having only turned on one of the two main pumps. Been a long time since I played through that part in the original, but I seem to recall that's not how it's supposed to work.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Just finished it. That last part nearly brought my computer to it's knees. The FPS were in the single digits there and I had a hard time hitting anything. Finished the level with maybe 20 health left and enemies all around. Was this really only half the game? It went on for a lot longer than I'd expected it to. There were some wonderfully unexpected setpieces towards the end, like when you have to manually load the stationary rocket launcher to take down the tank, or using the missile guidance system to take down the big baddy and improvise a way into the compound ahead. The mission design was great for the most part, as were the guns. The shotty was my favourite, though the magnum and the crosbow were great too (I've never been a big fan of sci-fi guns). The enemy types were alright though I wish there had been more Doom-style monsters that shoot slow-moving projectiles. Pretty much all their attacks were instant-hit which takes most of the finesse out of gunfights, instead it's mostly just a question of who shoots first. Can't say I had too much trouble with the soldiers though. I played on Normal, and the only part that was really frustrating was the lobby. Had to retry that one around 10-15 times before I got through it.

Overall: Fantastic game, can't wait for the rest of it to come out.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast