TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bioshock preorder - Due 4/3/07!

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    so a mouse cannot be better than a gamepad cause it was intended for another purpose..............???
    well, it is IMSO

Let me say it again for those who don’t seem to get it. PCs were not designed to be Gaming stations. But Game Consoles were! (hence the name). Aside from monetary considerations (which you keep talking about) you need to also consider the value of TIME!!! It is much more time consuming to upgrade a computer every time, rather than enjoy a game on your XBOX/Playstation hassle-free! (and not to mention load-times, installations, etc etc etc).
    And yes, I’d rather spend some extra green on a nice HDTV and enjoy my gaming experience on a grand scale! In the end, that’s what it’s all about: having fun, having a good time hassle-free. I work enough with PCs at work!!!

I think you might be exaggerating there a bit. I enjoy flawless gaming on my PC for many years between upgrades. I have to lower video settings more and more, just like console games need to look worse as the levels and graphics get better. (graphics get better even though stuff like resolution and geometry detail needs to be sacrificed I mean)

Even though PCs were never meant for gaming, the mouse is impressively effective for certain genres like 1st person shooters. You can't deny that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi View Post
    Even though PCs were never meant for gaming, the mouse is impressively effective for certain genres like 1st person shooters. You can't deny that.
    I agree with you! But for me, it's the whole experience that matters most! The overall effect! Although in some games it’s easier to aim with a mouse, I experience more realism with a gamepad (wireless), TV, and surround sound. It just doesn’t seem as engaging with a PC!

About graphics; every console goes through a business cycle. That’s why we have Playstation 1, 2, 3 ….XBOX, XBOX360 etc. And for 70% of the console’s “life”, the marginal quality of the visuals for games actually gets better!

is Best Pony
    Toys back in the pram, people.

Though I have to say, saying that the platform that hosts Falcon 4 is less 'realistic' seems a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Toys back in the pram, people.

Though I have to say, saying that the platform that hosts Falcon 4 is less 'realistic' seems a bit
    You missed my point. Again. Realism in terms of experience! not graphics!

So, wait, hang on... Games feel more 'realistic' if you're sitting in front of a telly with a joypad than it does in front of a computer with a keyboard and mouse?

As for the arguement that PCs aren't designed for gaming, well I'd better get a refund on my gaming optimised mouse, graphics and sound card if that's the case.

..... what is this? A PC gaming lovers club????

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by GearsShock View Post
    You missed my point. Again. Realism in terms of experience! not graphics!
    Lesson one, sir: as this is the first time I had contributed to the thread, I can hardly have missed ANY point 'again'.

Lesson two: if you took more than five minutes, you would know that Falcon 4, being a game released in 1998, is not (barring the re-release/upgraded version, Allied Force) a game where good graphics per se are the hook, rather it is a minute simulation of the Block 50/52 F-16C aircraft. THAT, sir, is 'realism'. If you're going to use a word, use the right word. You are looking for the word 'immersion', not 'realism', not really 'experience'.

Lesson three: don't attack people who were on your side to start with.

2K Games
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjossi View Post
    That's only a week or two after my summer vacation begins, I love ya if that release date comes true.
    i assure you, it's true. official word from 2K, June 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Lesson three: don't attack people who were on your side to start with.

I was not attacking you and I know exactly what I said and meant. And yes I meant experience! Who are you trying to teach? I am an English major Immersion means to be captivated by a situation! And I agree, the console provides both: deeper immersion and a more realistic gaming experience.

In terms of flight simulators: I am not a big fan, so I don't know. But as for games in general, I would prefer to play them on a console!

I am not looking for sides. This is not a fight. I am just explaining some very basic things here.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth View Post
    i assure you, it's true. official word from 2K, June 2007.

Thanks for the update! That's great news!

I agree with you! But for me, it's the whole experience that matters most! The overall effect! Although in some games it’s easier to aim with a mouse, I experience more realism with a gamepad (wireless), TV, and surround sound. It just doesn’t seem as engaging with a PC!

About graphics; every console goes through a business cycle. That’s why we have Playstation 1, 2, 3 ….XBOX, XBOX360 etc. And for 70% of the console’s “life”, the marginal quality of the visuals for games actually gets better!
    Well, that depends on the game and how clever optimization is used. Getting Doom 3 to run smoothly on the XBox can't have been an easy task, and the low-quality graphics show that.

Strange why they went with the name XBox 360, maybe the next will be XBox 720? Heh.

Oh, and Eliza, June 2007 sounds fantastic, but delays are very common in the industry. In the case of BioShock I hope the best that there won't be any.

is Best Pony
    Who am I trying to teach? Well, that would seem to be a bit bloody obvious. I'm frankly sick to death of myopic console kiddies and rabid PC beardies both, and to be honest your comments so far in this thread are squarely placing you in the former category (where 'kiddie' is being used as a pejorative rather than an age definition - satisfied, 'English major'? (whatever that is)).

Immersion and realism are not the same thing, as you have just stated. You then proceed to confuse the two by, as driver pointed out, contending that twiddling the buttons on a gamepad is in some way more immersive than tapping the buttons on a keyboard.

I would go on to point out that excluding a genre that is inherent to the PC is a rather biased way of comparing the gaming value of the platforms, but I don't think I even need to try.

Soooo ... June '07, eh? Just in time for the summer.
    Last edited by Matthew; 19th Dec 2006 at 05:44. Reason: Spelling error helpfully pointed out by GearsShock

Just some general notes for the new peeps.

When you're quoting a post it is very unlikely that you will need to quote the entire of a post. You should only need to quote the relevant parts.
    Additionally when you're replying to the last post in a thread you don't need to quote it at all.

If your post is the last in a thread then there's no need to post again directly beneath it. Instead use the edit feature to add to your previous post.

It is nice to see so many new people posting.

PCs were not designed to be Gaming stations. But Game Consoles were! (hence the name).
    I think you'd be surprised at the answer, if you asked Ken Kutaragi what the PS3 is

No offence GearsShock but this is not the official Bio forum (that doesn't mean it wouldn't be the best Bio forum . A lot of people here are fans of LG. LG was a PC developer. So one might notice *slight* pro PC opinions here
    Last edited by Shocked_; 18th Dec 2006 at 12:52. Reason: removed my first clause because I realized that it was unintentionally only my small anticonsole person inside me speaking

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    When you're quoting a post it is very unlikely that you will need to quote the entire of a post. You should..

..no need to post again directly beneath it. Instead use the edit feature to add to your previous post.

It is nice to see so many new people posting.
    David, I feel your pain. You, more than anyone else, I imagine, are in the need of a vacation :P

EDIT: Oh and Shocked_, I've been here pretty long and I've watched TTLG being taken over by consoles and people who play them. There are not many of us PC-peeps left.

EDIT again: Could all PC ownerers raise their hands, please?
    Last edited by Qooper; 18th Dec 2006 at 13:06.

i think we could agree on consoles being designed primarily for games
    and PCs being an very good all-around tool capable of being
    designed by companies and users for gaming purposes. nuff said

PS: I'm not a new member, just left the board after ss2/thief3 and forgot my name/password.
    so welcome to the newbies.

As seen over at Bioshock HQ:

Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth
    Hey there.

I'm the community manager at 2K, working on BioShock. I'm going to be hanging around here (if that's cool :-) ) and giving you guys some information about the game, etc.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you have, and I'll try to answer them right away.

As for the release date, both 360 and PC will be coming in June 2007. That's official from 2K.

Yes, (near) simultaneous release!

Never wanted no damn 360 anyway

Ha! Let the unwashed masses have their silly consoles. Those mindless peons couldn't possibly have the mental capacity to enjoy "intellectual" and "immersive" nerdy shooting&killing games. No, these disgraceful industry-killing toys must exist solely for those piteous commoners...who don't want to fuck with configuring shit and just want to enjoy the latest epic, those whose worlds are bigger than that of video games and are quite likely to be intelligent and respectful in other fields (and enjoy tasteful art in other mediums).

Okay, I'll say that I've sadly championed and been a stalwart for both camps at some point, but now I've found that everything has its place. Consoles are a fantastic way to game (shit just works) and where gaming is generally heading, but I've come back to the PC side due to soaring costs and too many platforms. PCs are nice in that you get a bit more of a "personal" connection with the game, it's a single platform, and games get dirt cheap fast. I guess my problem is that most games are generally puerile nerd shite anyways, so evangelizing a gaming plaform makes you look like a tard to the rest of the world.

It doesn't just make you look bad, it makes you bad. Next time you get an urge to say something along the lines of 'I'll never be in a PC gaming lovers club (?), XBOX RULES FOREVER and bury sony!' just look at yourself in the mirror and picture yourself saying it to an attractive girl/boy at a party.
    That's right, they'd give you a funny look and run off, horrified at the pathetic mess you've let yourself become. Which is precisely the reaction you deserve.

Could you guys please use quotes? I don't even know who is referring to who anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
    Those mindless peons couldn't possibly have the mental capacity to enjoy "intellectual" and "immersive" nerdy shooting&killing games. No, these disgraceful industry-killing toys must exist solely for those piteous commoners...who don't want to fuck with configuring shit and just want to enjoy the latest epic, those whose worlds are bigger than that of video games and are quite likely to be intelligent and respectful in other fields (and enjoy tasteful art in other mediums).
    a good one!

And TO Matthew: I guess you’re not familiar with the U.S. educational system. An English Major means a University Diploma in English. That was one of my majors. So if you have difficulties in expressing yourself in English, why don’t you take some courses and then come back to this forum!!! And what the hell is a “Perjorative”????

Also, in New York (where I live), the demand and interest for PC games is almost non-existent. Everyone who has heard of Bioshock (that I know of) is waiting for it to come out on the XBOX360, not the PC. That’s how I’ve heard of Bioshock: that it’s going to be an XBOX game!

TO Shocked_: Thanks! I've noticed. Actually it’s not “slight” but OVERWHELMING! And I didn’t even want to get involved in this discussion but after reading a few posts here, I had to defend the Console position and put some sense into people. There needs to be a balance.

TO Myagi: Yes I know my friend. The name of Ken Kutaragi’s company is Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.! But again, the key word here is Entertainment. And I am not arguing that Consoles have no computer components, they ARE computers. But they have been specifically customized to deliver the optimal gaming experience.

Respectfully,
    Last edited by GearsShock; 19th Dec 2006 at 05:07.

No offence, but you don't come across as someone with a university-level qualification in english. Did you actually pass it?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bacon View Post
    Did you actually pass it?

No offence but with a name like “Uncle Bacon”, you don’t come across as having gone to school at all! Did you grow up on a hick-ranch somewhere in New Mexico? And just for your information, you don’t “pass” a University degree. You spend years studying and working for the diploma!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast