TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dromed Total Crap Contest - Results!

Southquarter.com/fms

Dromed Total Crap Contest - Results!

Ok, let's get right to the good stuff -

Overall winner: Incubus, by Sterlino.

By category -

Crappiest Audio & Visuals: tOt 1 the escape, by taffer9
    Crappiest Story: Incubus, by Sterlino.
    Crappiest Design: House Rob, by thief0.
    Crappiest Gameplay: tOt 1 the escape, by taffer9
    Humor: Incubus, by Sterlino.
    Originality: The Kill Factory, by Sliptip.

And the rest of the field -

A long way down, by Mortal Monkey
    Bad man, by Mortal Monkey
    Chuffy Train, by Sluggs
    Half-Blind, by Drysils Chosen
    Hammerite Hideout, by Cavalorn
    Having Regrets, by Schwaa2
    Kill the Guard, by pforth
    OMG Get You're Blackjack Back! LOL, by Yandros
    Quamtotius Purgamentium, by The_Dude
    Shadow of Darkness, by Fitzambey
    Tcrap, by TDBonko
    Teh j0KeR, Telliamed
    The Cube, by Ottoj55
    The Drop, by Sluggs
    The Kill Factory, by Sliptip
    The Medal Age, by R Soul
    The Scary Castle, by Sluggs
    Walkin' Da Moon, by Bulgarian Taffer

Let me just say a few things here - these missions were all really fun to play. A definite departure from your standard Thief FM, which I think everyone needs once in a while. While my original idea for this contest was to make bad FMs that we could laugh at, there were quite a few entries that showed a contest like this might have promise if focused in a different direction. People have suggested that this contest should have been called "Weird and wacky" or maybe "the un-FM" contest - and they might be on to something there.

For the record, I thought OMGGYBB, The Medal Age, Shadow Of Darkness, and tOt 1 the escape came closest to accomplishing what I envisioned when I came up with this contest. Most of those had me laughing out loud with how bad they were, especially OMGGYBB and The Medal Age.

Also, I thought Quamtotius Purgamentium, The Kill Factory, Incubus, and A Long Way Down weren't crap at all, and were in fact pretty innovative. It's a bit ironic that one of these actually won the contest.

I regret the problems with voting, but not the solution we came to. Right or wrong, I think it was the only way to preserve any credibility left in the competition. However, if I ever do another contest, I will definitely go another route.

Thanks to everyone for partipating, playing and voting on these missions. It was more work than expected running the contest, but a lot of fun at the same time.

Last but not least...I'd love to hear others comments on the contest!
    Last edited by Brethren; 15th Jan 2007 at 08:32.
    Get all recent FMs at www.southquarter.com/fms

I never played any of these missions, but I read the name of the mission Yandros made, and literally yelled, "Yandros, you DIDN'T!" Oh boy. I'm almost getting a renewed interest in playing these missions now. Where are they?

Congratulations Sterlino.
    It's so easy, but I can't do it.
    So risky - but I gotta chance it.
    It's so funny, there's nothing to laugh about

thank u hey people, i am the crappiest author of the world.. wow ps soon i would post something of more detailed but actually i am reply from mobile phone..

I had a slight hunch Yandros made that one, but I didn't have the nerve to say it

Congrats STERLINO! Wear that shirt with pride!

Slight correction BR and I don't suppose it matters but - "Kill Factory" won the most votes in originality.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliptip View Post
    Slight correction BR and I don't suppose it matters but - "Kill Factory" won the most votes in originality.
    yeah strange, i've sent a pm to BR to tell him that , is right , u deserve at least the original category: kill factory is amazing !

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNightTerror View Post
    I never played any of these missions, but I read the name of the mission Yandros made, and literally yelled, "Yandros, you DIDN'T!" Oh boy. I'm almost getting a renewed interest in playing these missions now. Where are they?
    Heheh, that mission was made by my very l33t evil alter-ego!1!! LOL

Get them from link in the announcement thread, here.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Thanks for catching my blunder guys, now fixed. The Kill Factory did indeed win the "Originality" category.

To all the crappy mission authors:

Congratulations??

thanks to anyone who voted me and thanks to Brother Renault to have spent most of the weekend's time to
    release the contest's results so fast.
    Incubus was an idea taken from a concept of Bruno Bozzetto (an italian director),
    in the '80 he created a short animation movie where a tipical med/aged italy man lived into
    a no-ending passages of an incubus within an incubus, it was really funny and inspired me the mission.
    now i would spend just a couple of words about this strange contest just closed.
    I tried to create a crap mission but just as some other author i cannot do it.
    It is a thing opposite to our faith. We create missions for the players, to let them joy of
    our dream not to let show the bad side of dromed (too easy i think). Someone else
    said: just as let show a smelly cheese in the fridge... i totally agree with him.
    That's the first reason because i think that a "crap contest" is a no sense competition.
    May be it should been a funny competition if closed only to the authors and not the players.
    Some players can be bored playing a crap mission.
    In my opinion The second thing that i not agree was to let vote the players: of course the player will votes
    NOT the most "crap" but the most "playable" or "funny".
    And this is probably the reason why 'Incubus' and the wonderfull 'Kill factory' received so much votes.
    So IF there will be another contest like this, and i hope not, (i just said that) that should be voted only by authors
    or a jury of selected authors (max 10 persons).

thanks again to all,

Sterlino

p.s. now i'm in fever waiting for that Shirt, whenever it will arrived to me i want to post some Photos !!!
    Last edited by sterlino; 16th Jan 2007 at 14:05.

Sterlino! You taffer!

Well done man! I don't think it was "Crap" though!

PS. Don't forget those photo's!

Ok, so sluggs was the author of only two of the missions, less than expected.

Gratz sterlino, Incubus gave me some good laughs (especially the carrot-head guard )

Quote Originally Posted by NeKoeNMa
    Ok, so sluggs was the author of only two of the missions, less than expected.
    Make that 3!

Chuffy Train
    The Drop! (Named so for two reasons - The Bowman's scroll and the the other, is obvious!)
    The Scary Castle

Last edited by Sluggs; 15th Jan 2007 at 12:35.

I think now would be a good time for us all to apologise.

Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    I think now would be a good time for us all to apologise.

Sorry.
    yeah, probably not me but the authors of 'kill the guard' and 'bad man' should say something 'cause i never seen such kind of 'lamer thing in thief2...

Southquarter.com/fms
    I think "Kill The Guard" and "Tcrap" deserves the award for least effort put forth. Seriously, those were genuinely crappy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggs View Post
    Make that 3!

Chuffy Train
    The Drop! (Named so for two reasons - The Bowman's scroll and the the other, is obvious!)
    The Scary Castle

Ops, that one escaped me. I don't remember The Drop, even tough I went only once through each mission.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Renault View Post
    I think "Kill The Guard" and "Tcrap" deserves the award for least effort put forth. Seriously, those were genuinely crappy!
    Mmmm,.........I wonder why one of these didn't win the contest then. ???

I really thought Yandros had made "A long way down" I had no idea he made OMGGYBB! That's just crackers! Man, that mission is awful, but I like it!

*Cheap reference to Dick Emery there!

It was nice seeing something from Mortal Monkey, Telliamed and Schwaa. I wouldn't have taken part in this myself but, making something crap only took me a few hours, hence three of the buggers! That was going to be the last from me, until I decided I had to finish my Lighthouse FM.

Thanks for that crazy mission of yours Mr. Forth. I got a chuckle out of that. He was a tough one, but I got the bast...

LOL INDEED!
    Last edited by Sluggs; 16th Jan 2007 at 00:33.

OMGGYBB was just depressing...

So my question to Mortal Monkey is: when can we expect a proper mission based on the concept of A long way down?

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    i deserve an award for the most work on a crap mission, i had a ridiculous number of objects to run that thing, and the links were out of control, i discovered how to make a timer without a custom script, but it requires about 3 markers. all to annoy players in the cube while they died constantly.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall banana View Post
    Assuming you mean depressingly crappy, then I thank you.
    I tried to exercise and exaggerate every crappy design point I could think of, including most of my own pet peeves.

I actually came up with something that was intended to be annoying, but I may actually use some day in a legit mission. The lift button in the building with the spiders randomly either summons the lift, sends it to the next floor up, or does nothing. Might be neat to do that on a "malfunctioning" lift in a hotel or something. Maybe a fourth option would be to shock the player.

Hmmmm... strange.

I must admit I thought OMGGYBB and House Rob were the two best worst missions. One of those really deserved to win given the nature of the contest.

Incubus was actually rather good but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter, well done to Sterlino and more importantly to Brother Renault and helpers for running the contest. It was great fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast