TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief2/Ss2: nVidia 8500/8600/8800 - Crappy colours/textures

@smithpd - DirectX 9.0c has had many updates over the years. It was last updated August 2007. Here is the August 2007 DirectX End-User Redistributable, the installer that can be saved on your hard disk, in case you don't like dvwjr's web installer:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Quote Originally Posted by dvwjr View Post
    Most folks think that when they have DirectX v9.0c installed, that's it. They might think it is 'set in stone', or that the Windows automatic updates would install any DirectX updates on their system. Not so. dvwjr
    Or better still get "DirectX 9 Aug 2007" from another site that dosent require that deceitful WGA (microsoft genuine spyware) etc

biker

This sounds great. Has anyone tried it out on System Shock 2?
    This is a DX fix, right? So it works on HD2900s? How about the performance on those cards (I remember hearing they were strangely sluggish with T2).

This'll probably make my shopping a lot more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    This sounds great. Has anyone tried it out on System Shock 2?
    This is a DX fix, right? So it works on HD2900s? How about the performance on those cards (I remember hearing they were strangely sluggish with T2).

This'll probably make my shopping a lot more interesting.
    Nope, but as its the same engine the same fix should apply!

As I mentioned at the begining of this thread, I will be picking up an HD2400 at some point to test, that said if someone has a Radeon 2k series card could they do it so I dont have to buy a card etc.

And yes under the 7.5 driver the HD2900 I tested was very sluggish with thief, purhaps this will be remedied with the DDfix, but wont know till ewither myself or another tests it.

biker

Btw, you say you don't have an old system to test Thief 2 on, so you don't know how it should look like; I can get you screenshots from an older system where everything is fine, just tell me what places you would like me to capture.
    It was the banding around lights I was interested in. My shot was taken from just inside the door of the room labeled 'bath' in Running Interference. A shot of the same light on your card would be great.

Btw, i found this passage in the readme:

"Textures sometimes have corrupted borders. This is most obvious when looking at large objects edge on or from a long distance."

Could someone post a screenshot of this or maybe indicate an in game location where this is obvious, so i can go and check it out?
    The problem is the bright vertical line in the middle of this shot.

This problem was mostly fixed in 1.0.2, which was before I originally posted over here. I don't really notice it any more unless I'm specifically looking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeslip View Post
    My shot was taken from just inside the door of the room labeled 'bath' in Running Interference. A shot of the same light on your card would be great.

Radeon X300 Mobility.

Well, Nameless beat me to it. Nevertheless, here is my screenshot too. I also included an edited version, with the brightness considerably increased. The screenshot was taken with a laptop's Radeon IGP 345M integrated video card:

Normal brightness:

Increased brightness:

The problem is the bright vertical line in the middle of this shot. This problem was mostly fixed in 1.0.2, which was before I originally posted over here. I don't really notice it any more unless I'm specifically looking for it.
    The way it looks in your screenshot, it doesn't stand out much. I don't know about later missions though. I'll do a run through the game as soon as i have time, to see if there are any spots where this might stick out, but i doubt i'll find any.

Just out of curiosity, have you found what's causing it?
    Last edited by frogdude; 20th Oct 2007 at 09:47.

Okay i have tried the DirectX fix and it does not work on my 8800 card.. I still have the crappy colours.. But i have however found out that this issue also exist in the Half Life engine ! try playing Counter-strike and go to the dark areas and see it exists there also.. !

Well, as far as i know, this problem occurs on most games rendered in 16bit, because the card can't do 16bit dithering right. I've heard reports of Midtown Madness & Quake 3 (set on 16bit) exhibiting the same issues as Thief2 & SS2. Never heard of an issue with Half Life 1 and CS, but given the age of the engine, it's possible. Try forcing them to run in 32bit, if you can. Also, search Nvidia forums for this issue, you might find more people with the same problem and possibly a fix.

As for Thief 2 & Timeslip's fix, it worked for everyone else around here so far... Maybe you didn't install it right.

How exactly did you install Timeslip's fix?

EDIT: There's a new version with an installer available, try it, see if it works.
    Last edited by frogdude; 20th Oct 2007 at 18:42.

Thanks for the screenshots. They look mostly the same as mine, so the banding around lights looks like it's supposed to be there. That's one less thing for me to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by frogdude View Post
    Just out of curiosity, have you found what's causing it?
    Nope.

Oddly enough, would you believe Nvidia's Linux drivers also have this problem, if you get Thief2 running in Wine? I was fairly surprised to see the game looks just as bad as under Windows - fairly impressive since the whole D3D stack has been rewritten.

Trying this fix on my Thief2 executable in Windows with an 8600GTS resulted in a crash - but I've got a noCD and multiprocessor patch already applied, so that may well be unrelated.

Wow, this patch is amazing. Thief 2 didn't even look this good on my Voodoo 3.

Running Thief 2 Premier Patch (v1.18), GeForce 7950 GT, everything seems to be working fine, except for the screenshot button, it's still outputting PCX for some reason, but I don't take screenies very often, anyway.

I kind of like the way the menus are being hardware rendered now, I always hated that muddy "high res low color" look they had, I'll have to check out your Fallout patches, too. Also, as someone else said, it's nice to not have to wait for the monitor to switch resolutions between those screens.

One thing I did notice, I tried to take screenies of, but as I said, no dice...the lower res textures seem to be rendered at 2x scale, giving them a blockier look than they should. I know it's more of a "personal taste" and "keeping faithful" thing than anything, but it's noticable. On the first level, as soon as you enter the mansion, look at the rugs on the floor, or the doors.

Also, in very dark rooms, I noticed that some of the textures sort of have very faint squares (about 8x8 or maybe 16x16) in the corners that are lighter than the rest of the texture. I'm not sure if those are new or if I just never noticed them before, maybe it's just a trick of the graphics on my eyes.

Anyway, great patch, hopefully we'll see one for SS2 as well =) I've been meaning to replay that lately.

With the patch installed, ALT=F10 still "works" but the resulting PCX screen shot is black. No use at all. You need to use the alternate method after the patch, which is the print screen key. The format choice is in the INI file. However, somewhere it is said that you need a particular DLL to make the print screen key work. Otherwise it crashes the game. You can get that DLL by going to Microsoft and downloading an update for Direct X 9.0C. Merely having DX 9C installed is not enough. You need the update.

I have a 7950 GT and I don't see anything blocky.

You might try using the patch as it stands on SS2. Nothing lost if you save the previous EXE. I'm not saying it will work. I just like to experiment.

It'd be nice in the end to have it function as a single patch that encompasses all Dark Engine games. T1/Gold may not have rendering issues (aside from the whole not working at all thing), but that hardware-rendered menu feature sounds great.

cmon vista peeps where you at

Quote Originally Posted by smithpd View Post
    I have a 7950 GT and I don't see anything blocky.
    I get those blocky quadratic patches on some textures when I set "HighQualityTextures=1".
    Good example: "Masks" right at the start, looking at the bright wall to the right.

I use 7800GTX with driver v163.75

Calibrator

That explains it. I did not use "HighQualityTextures=1". There was a warning about that, and I thought it was unnecessary. Looks find to me with normal textures.

Quote Originally Posted by frogdude View Post
    Well, as far as i know, this problem occurs on most games rendered in 16bit, because the card can't do 16bit dithering right. I've heard reports of Midtown Madness & Quake 3 (set on 16bit) exhibiting the same issues as Thief2 & SS2. Never heard of an issue with Half Life 1 and CS, but given the age of the engine, it's possible. Try forcing them to run in 32bit, if you can. Also, search Nvidia forums for this issue, you might find more people with the same problem and possibly a fix.

As for Thief 2 & Timeslip's fix, it worked for everyone else around here so far... Maybe you didn't install it right.

How exactly did you install Timeslip's fix?

EDIT: There's a new version with an installer available, try it, see if it works.
    I think its me there is the problem as i have messed up something in the hex editor i think.. But as i have System Shock 2, the installer thingy won't work as it only works with Thief 2..

I put up a fixed version of Shock2.exe in the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I put up a fixed version of Shock2.exe in the other thread.

I have just tried that.. And it says i haven't installed DirectX 6 or higher.. And i know i have installed.. I have tried to reinstall it but that dosn't work.. What about those bugs you mention in the other thread are you working on them ?

Great work Nameless Voice, and Timeslip..

Me? I'm not working on anything, I just uploaded a version of the .exe with the changes made, for the benefit of those who were a bit unsure about using a hex editor.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Me? I'm not working on anything, I just uploaded a version of the .exe with the changes made, for the benefit of those who were a bit unsure about using a hex editor.
    arh okay thought you had made the Shock exe .. Do you have any ideas for my problem with DX ?

Quote Originally Posted by smithpd View Post
    You need to use the alternate method after the patch, which is the print screen key.

You can get that DLL by going to Microsoft and downloading an update for Direct X 9.0C.
    Oh, okay, thanks. Hmm...doesn't quite work, though...Thief 2 just minimizes and won't come back, and no screenshot is taken. Oh well, no biggie.

Also, it's a whole lot easier to get the missing DLLs from this site.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibrator View Post
    I get those blocky quadratic patches on some textures when I set "HighQualityTextures=1".
    Ah, yes, that was it. I was hoping that 32 bit mode would improve the colored lighting a bit, but it didn't really.

Hmm, I tried running this patch in System Shock 2, it works okay...I mean it's playable, but the menus are really wonky, and if you look at certain walls without a weapon equipped, the whole screen goes black. If you do have a weapon equipped, it'll go through walls/floors/whatever else. I've only beaten the game once, and it's been a few years, so I can't really say what else is different.

Trying to pit the ddfixGUI patch into thief 2.

"could not locate code section to overwrite"
    "your version of thief2.exe seems to be incompatible with the patch."

damn it! what am I doing wrong here?!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexius View Post
    What am I doing wrong here?!
    Maybe not using the pre-patched Thief2.exe that I posted here?

Hi, I am watching this thread with great interest. Thanks for developing a patch.

I am away from home right now, and accidentally brought Thief 1 instead of the Thief 2 disk, so I can't run it, but I'll try the patch as soon as I get back.

I had a question--I am trying not to get up my hopes, but the patching utility looks like it allows widescreen non-4:3 resolutions. Does this mean that Thief 2 might run widescreen?

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast