TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skins Wanted (& Offered) - The Aristocrats - Now includes tutorial

The hardest part is making the texture work around the bad UV mapping. I have an idea, but I don't have time to test it right now:

It depends on what UV mapping tools you have, but it might be a good idea to use multiple textures and treat the body as a load of simple shapes. E.g. the head is a sphere, the body is a cylinder, as is each arm, and so on.

I don't know about 3dsmax, but Anim8or can't add sphere/cylinder maps to existing models. However there's a program called UVmapper, which is also quite simple but it can assign a new UV map. It can also assign a capped cylinder, which might take care of the tops of the shoulders.

In Anim8or a model can be broken up by selecting polygons and selecting Edit > Detach Faces. Then you copy & past the new model into a new file, then export it as *.obj, which can be loaded into UVmapper.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Schwaa, can we expect to see a new noble skin by you?
    mmm, NO. I'm doing alot of texturing for new models lately, but that's all fairly hush hush.

The Architect
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwaa2 View Post
    mmm, NO. I'm doing alot of texturing for new models lately, but that's all fairly hush hush.

... sweet harlot?

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    I don't know about 3dsmax, but Anim8or can't add sphere/cylinder maps to existing models.
    To me, one of the main advantages of Max is its UV mapping tools. They can do pretty much everything.

EDIT: I did some work on one of the female noble models, fixing the UV mapping under the left arm and the mirroring of the UV mappings below the belt.
    I'll coordinate with Digi later today to see what more can be done with it, and then upload the fixed model.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 19th May 2007 at 09:00.

I don't suppose you know if there's a budget cheapo discount version of 3dsmax?

Gmax. But the only things you can do with that are weld and move vertices.

Can Max do cylindrical mapping?

Thanks,
    Stealth Thief

Yeah, max can map anyway you need to. I have old worn out vers 5.
    I saw a tut video, a guys had vers 8. It has 'pelt' mapping. Yeah pelt, very cool, you draw a line around the ai where you want it to split, front back, face, ect... then pelt map and it stretches the mesh into... you guessed it, a shape that looks like a bear skin rug. I wish I could afford that.

kewl,
    I was thinking of trying modelling, but all the programs I have seen have been to expensive except Anim8tor, and it looks very limited. If I ever do decide to learn to model, I will need to be able to afford MAX then. (though I would of course probably learn on anim8tor first :P)

Thanks,
    Stealth Thief

P.S. Pelt mapping sounds VERY kewl. It would probably make skinning a heck of a lot easier.

Yes, Anim8or is quite limited, but you can export the model as an .obj file, which can be opened in another free program called UVMapper.

Having said that, UVMapper looks a bit scary with complex models like people, but for simpler objects it can be quite good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12