TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's play Deus Ex mods!

Let's play Deus Ex mods!

There have been many 'Mods?' threads over the ages so I thought it might be useful to collect them in one thread and maybe have some kind of review system so everyone can see how it was received. So in this thread I would like people to play the mods and review them (or just review them if you've already played them) and I'll update this post with information and "What You Thought" on the mod. If it looks like it'll be useful I'll sticky it for posterity

DX SDK & Tutorial (thanks raph!)

Patches:
    v1.09 --> v1.12
    Full patch to v1.12

Mods:

Biomod

The Nameless Mod
    download
    Info: http://www.thenamelessmod.com/about/#about_story
    You thought: Roleplay 9/10, Combat 8/10 - AxTng1

Burden of 80 Proof
    download
    Info: There's a crazy party in beach house and you need alcohol!
    To play: Run the downloaded file and start Burden of 80 Proof from the Start menu.
    You thought: Roleplay: 10/10, Combat: 3/10 AxTng1
    Roleplay: 8/10, Combat: 5/10 - Jonas Wver

Hardcore DX
    download
    Info: DX on steroids. Adds many features and changes many more for both single player and multiplayer games.
    To play: Unzip the hardcore50r1.zip file to your main DeusEx directory (usually C:\DeusEx) and run the Hejhujka.bat file to start playing the mod.
    You thought: ???

Hotel Carone
    download
    Info: "The Mission is set right after Mission 3 of the original game and assumes you haven't killed Lebedev in the 747, and that's about all the information you really need to play the mod. " - carone
    To play: Run the downloaded file and launch with the shortcut in C:/DeusEx/HotelCarone
    You thought: Roleplay: 5/10, Combat: 8/10 - AxTng1
    Roleplay: 4/10, Combat: 8/10 - Jonas Wver

ZODIAC
    download (full)
    Info: Play as Paul Denton after your killswitch is deactivated.
    To play: Unzip the file and run the setup. Launch via the Start menu.
    You thought: Roleplay: 8/10, Combat: 10/10 - AxTng1
    Roleplay: 8/10, Combat: 10/10 - Jonas Wver

Redsun2020
    download
    Info: "Joseph is the newest Nanotech Agent developed in Secret by a group of UNATCO:SCI scientists who wanted to develop the ideal Agent. The agent they developed will fight for the good of the Human race. Then, during a training mission in Asia, he is kidnapped and taken to a TMG lab in Tokyo.
    To play: Install the downloaded file and run from the Start menu."
    You thought: Roleplay: 8/10, Combat: 9/10 - AxTng1
    Roleplay: 6/10, Combat: 7/10 - Jonas Wver

Presidential Emergency
    Info: "A two-level single player map for Deus Ex. The player is JC Denton, but in my scenario JC is an agent for the Secret Service. The game starts in the Secret Service HQ."
    To play: Unzip presem.zip into your Deus Ex directory. To start the level, start the game, enter the console and type: open 71_whitehouse

Shifter
    download (v1.7)
    Info: Changes many DX settings to make it (in the maker's eyes) better/cooler. Overwrites core DX settings so the originals must be backed up in case you want them back. Works with several mods.
    To use: Unzip the downloaded file into your Deus Ex folder and overwrite the existing files.

The Cassandra Project down
    download
    You thought: Roleplay: 23/10, Combat: 1/10 - AxTng1
    Roleplay: 10/10, Combat: 3/10 - Jonas Wver
    Last edited by D'Juhn Keep; 13th Jul 2011 at 03:15.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by D'Juhn Keep View Post
    Burden of 80 Proof
    download
    Info: There's a crazy party in the big city and you need alcohol!
    The party is at a beach house, not in the city.

Yeah but mine's a quote

Though not a very good one, admittedly

Shifter
    download (v1.7)
    Info: Changes many DX settings to make it (in the maker's eyes) better/cooler. Overwrites core DX settings so the originals must be backed up in case you want them back. Works with several mods.
    To use: Unzip the downloaded file into your Deus Ex folder and overwrite the existing files.
    I can't comment on the rest but I do have played with the shifter mod. It's pretty hard to decide whether this is a good mod or not since while it have some nifty ideas it has a couple I don't particularly like.

Fixes(and good points imho):
    1. You can pickup any body. It doesn't matter that you don't have enough room to loot that flamethrower first. Everything you can't loot it drops on the spot. While Deus Ex AI doesn't seem to care about dead people lying around I seldom let unconscious people get in harms way. So it was a great addition.
    2. Laser Pointer fix. It is coupled on your weapon skill. So while the bullet still will hit where the pointer goes it won't stand still unless you have the weapon mastered.
    3. Combination of combat strength and normal strength into one aug. The opposite aug was an emp attack then that could disable/turn robots with a melee attack.

Neutral:
    - Ability to swap augs. I know that is a hot topic since it's one thing IW allows for while Deus Ex doesn't. I did use that in one case for testing out the opposite augment. But switched back later though. :P Overall it's okay as the switching is limited by availability of aug canisters.

Not so good points:
    1. XP per kill system. You can - and I did - disable it. But it starts with a system that gives you xp for a kill. I'm not particular fond of that idea in Deus Ex as it makes getting xp a priority. Since there is a mechanism in place to reward a non lethal approach too it isn't purely by killing only. But the incentive is the same. Nothing that appealed to me since the devs had the skill points laid out in a nice way.
    2. Overpowered weapons. Seriously they are too strong. Upping the crowbar and the baton by one point might be ok. But if all the custom weapons are as strong as the baton from Paul(can't remember the name) that it is overpowered. With that thing you could blow even MIBs unconscious with a single strike.

There is alot more in this mod but these are the things sticking out for me. Even though it looks like there is alot negative I would recommend it.

Perhaps another rating system for each mod? Burden and Cassandra were quite different to the other DX mods I've played, and that should be reflected, maybe with Roleplay and Combat ratings? These are how I would rate those that I have played

Spoilers Ahoy...

Deus Ex Original Game:
    Roleplay: 7/10
    Combat: 8/10

Burden of 80 Proof: (First person adventure)
    Roleplay: 10/10
    Combat: 3/10

Hotel Carone: (Stealthy/sniper based combat)
    Roleplay: 5/10

ZODIAC: (Normal DX that gets SERIOUS SAM STUPID near the end)
    Roleplay: 8/10
    Combat: 10/10

Redsun2020: (Deus Ex +1)
    Combat: 9/10

The Cassandra Project: (Boy did they like Torment or what?)
    Roleplay: 23/10
    Combat: 1/10

This is not measuring the quality of the game, merely the amount of social or violent interaction that is had with the characters.

Just finished burden of 80 Proof... still trying to figure out how to score weed

Tremendously fun

After you play Hank's game, move the sofa at the neighbor's house (the one where you get money off of earlier in the game). It's hidden underneath.

I'm a bit more confused as to where all the toys are located. I can only seem to find 4.

Loved burden of 80 proof (well it was ok, good voice acting).
    Didnt see the point of cassandra project,whats the big deal?.
    Think ill give red sun a run through on AXTNG's rating.

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by dylan barry View Post
    Didnt see the point of cassandra project,whats the big deal?.
    You realise it was nowhere near complete, right?

Redsun 2020 is (so far) very good, decent level design and a sense of humor. I like the use of wide open spaces in the 2nd part. The very first mission was confusing though.

In general, all these mods need much, much more backstory and explanation (although obviously not like the cassandra mod, which is all backstory/explanation and no game whatsoever).

I did intend to play all these, indeed, they are all installed. Unfortunately just after installing I came down with a bad case of BG2itis and also started working 12 hours a day 7 days a week so it'll be a while before I can actually contribute

Nice thread, better add the nameless mod though.

Well I managed to never get around to playing them (thanks, Baldur's Gate) but I've stopped playing it now so I think I'll manage to soon.

Opinions would be great and I'll add any ratings you'd care to give to the first post

Knows his stuff
    also started working 12 hours a day 7 days a week
    Where do you work? Vietnamese sweatshop?

That was way back when I was doing festival site work - from the date that was the Hyde Park festival

I've played most of these, so here are my contributions. I'm assuming "roleplay" is just a term for character interaction of any kind, including the quality of the writing.

The Nameless Mod:
    No, you don't want my review of this :P

Burden of 80 Proof:
    Combat: 5/10

Hotel Carone:
    Roleplay: 4/10

ZODIAC:
    Combat: 10/10

Redsun2020:
    Roleplay: 6/10
    Combat: 7/10

The Cassandra Project:

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas Wver View Post
    The Cassandra Project:
    Listening to characters prattle on and on and on about themselves counts as roleplaying now?

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Listening to characters prattle on and on and on about themselves counts as roleplaying now?
    I'm assuming "roleplay" is just a term for character interaction of any kind, including the quality of the writing.
    I'm not sure I'd say Deus Ex features a lot of roleplaying, and interestingly what roleplaying the game does have is a lot more action-based than any actual roleplaying game I've ever played. In Deus Ex, you don't just choose your character's personality through the dialogue, you actually play your character like you want him to be - stealthy, gung-ho, lethal, merciful...

So we could define roleplay in Deus Ex mods in two ways:

1) How well does the world respond to your play style?
    or
    2) How detailed and interesting is the character interaction in general?

Since Deus Ex operates with a tabula rasa of a protagonist, there's not a lot of opportunities for self-expression in the character interaction, so what makes it interesting becomes the personalities and reactions of the various people you talk to.

The first definition is great in my opinion, but the second definition is easier to handle, especially next to a vague "Combat" parameter that I assume covers all the action gameplay (including sneaking past enemies, ambushing them, or hacking past obstacles).

In other words I interpret "Combat" and "Roleplay" in this instance to "Action" and "Character interaction". In which case I thought TCP was excellent in the latter department, having really well defined characters and lots and lots of detail in how to interact with them.

But then that's just my opinion, you're free to present your own opinion if you'll take a moment out of being a douchebag long enough to form one

ZylonBane
    Since Deus Ex operates with a tabula rasa of a protagonist, there's not a lot of opportunities for self-expression in the character interaction
    This statement makes the exact opposite of sense. A blank-slate character is the PERFECT medium for player expression. The more personality you bake into your avatar, the more constrained your range of plausible interactions become.

And I found TCP to have mostly obnoxious, self-absorbed, entirely-too-impressed-with-themselves characters. Which, considering who wrote most of their dialog, isn't entirely surprising.

Well thank god there's enough "obnoxious, self-absorbed, entirely-too-impressed-with-themselves"-ness to go around, eh? God knows what you'd come up with if you didn't have that to fall back on.

As for the tabula rasa re: expression, the problem is that while a fully developed character may have a limited range of plausible interactions, a totally blank slate has essentially infinite plausible interactions, which is really fucking difficult to write dialogue for.

Every option you give the player inherently refines the character's personality purely by virtue of all the options you DIDN'T give the player. A JC Denton who can be "violent or pacifistic" in a conversation is already one who isn't completely indifferent, or bored, or hyperactive, or really wanting to dress as a clown, or whatever.

So it becomes quite difficult to generate player-derived self-expression without imprinting quite a lot of your own, if you get what I mean.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by DDL View Post
    Well thank god there's enough "obnoxious, self-absorbed, entirely-too-impressed-with-themselves"-ness to go around, eh? God knows what you'd come up with if you didn't have that to fall back on.
    This is the sound of you not disagreeing with me.

Wow I was generous.

TNM: Roleplay 9/10, Combat 8/10 (Would have been higher but for the Athena fight.)

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    And I found TCP to have mostly obnoxious, self-absorbed, entirely-too-impressed-with-themselves characters. Which, considering who wrote most of their dialog, isn't entirely surprising.
    I kinda enjoyed that the mod was about basically unlikeable people ("first-rate as professionals, distinctly third-rate as people" as one of them put it). Too bad Cassandra didn't get to the point where they would see their world crashing down on them. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by DDL View Post
    Every option you give the player inherently refines the character's personality purely by virtue of all the options you DIDN'T give the player. A JC Denton who can be "violent or pacifistic" in a conversation is already one who isn't completely indifferent, or bored, or hyperactive, or really wanting to dress as a clown, or whatever.

So it becomes quite difficult to generate player-derived self-expression without imprinting quite a lot of your own, if you get what I mean.
    I think this is a very good point. Far too often, games with multiple-choice dialogue completely omit any (to me) reasonable option, and I'm forced to choose the least stupid one. Nearly every multiple-choice conversation in Oblivion falls into this category, for example.

Still, for some reason your examples compel me to say: "I colour the world with the hues of my madness!"

(Not that V:TM:B is immune to this problem - far from it.

Hm, seems that the Cassandra Project download link doesn't work for me, unfortunately. However, I have a file called CassandraPart1Setup.exe (24,1 Mb size) in my archive, is that the latest version of the mod?