TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MOH Contest Mission:The Island of Madness June 3/07

Bah, how can you get down the belltower without getting damaged? I tried rope arrows on the 'entrance' hole and kept getting a heart attack - or thrown across the map...

Stunning
    Quote Originally Posted by Dussander View Post
    Bah, how can you get down the belltower without getting damaged? I tried rope arrows on the 'entrance' hole and kept getting a heart attack - or thrown across the map...
    Inside: a rope arrow in the edge on each hole should do the trick

The outside is just a bit of climbing and trying to get onto that ladder without falling.

I had problems with that as well but with a few reloads, I finally managed it.

As for my problem with the ending I drowned one of the beasts. Maybe that messed things up. I'll restart from a save and try it again.

Clearinghouse
    Thanks, NV! Finished it. Very atmospheric mission
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    As for my problem with the ending I drowned one of the beasts.
    Yes. I drowned their once and again.

Had the same problem. If you climb onto the rope arrow on the top of it, you get killed. But if you get onto it from lower down avoiding the arrow shaft, then you're fine. It's almost like you get impaled on your own arrow...

If you're athletic enough, you can drop through the top two holes and hit the third just on the side of the ladder so it "grabs" without receiving any damage.

Problem is, if you don't have any rope arrows yet, then you're stuck in there.

The mission was impossible for me to play until I changed the ambient light level using Dromed. Once I did that, it could enjoy it a bit. Lots of caves and rooms and passage ways to run around in. But the ghosts and zombies were barely a threat, and there were almost no clues to speak of. So I wasn't involved in the story. Then having to get violent at the end was a real pain.

At least the name is accurate: This is indeed a maddening island.

I managed in the end to get down by placing the arrows in the corner. I also kept getting stuck on my way down to the 'gauntlet'. I wasn't sure if the mission was 'horror' exactly, I would have been more scared of the thingies if they mumbled horrors to themselves or randomly twitched. Although some of them surprised me because I didn't expect/see them where they were.

I feel really dumb, but I don't get N_V's spoiler about opening the King's Tomb.
    spoiler:
    What statue? A pillar with a slit?

Sticky fingers

From the beach where you start the mission, go straight and quite soon there is a path that branches to the right. Take a look down there and all should be revealed.

Maybe I'm lost (wouldn't be a bit surprised in this one), but you mean the one where you swim across a little lake? Because I've been scouring this area for some time.

Clearinghouse
    Sticky Fingers, this here.

I thought I should swing by and give everyone some information about the ending. It was suggested earlier in the thread that you drown one of the shadow beasts to get them out of the way. I talked to the author, and this will break the mission, but not to the point it's not winnable.

I did this, but was able to kill the main beast by taking blind swings at him and finding a small portion of him that the sword could connect with. The easiest way to deal with the shadow beasts is to run around and pick up the fire arrows, hop on one of the posts to get out of danger, and shoot them.

When you enter the king's tomb, you can place the nearby skull on the door to prevent it from closing.

Marbrien & clearing: I was at the wrong end of the Island (in my defence, it was 1:30 am here) - thanx for putting me on the right track
    At the end,
    spoiler:
    I "drowned" the first 2 shadow-beasties, then used overhead sword-blows on The Big Nasty (the head was the best place) after he - rather stupidly - left his protective dome. It meant the second 2 shadow-beasties never turned up.

Still finished ok, avoided most confrontation & got to keep all the fire arrows!

BTW, did anyone find a way into the upper part of the arena?

Is there a room in the graveyard that you can enter?
    I read one of the notes and it mentions a sword and zombies.

Can someone point me in the direction of a rope arrow? I have been everywhere I can without using one and can't find any. Thanks

Southquarter.com/fms
    gt, you need to find the fortress. Look on your map for a clue on how to get there.

Thank you, The NightTerror! I was able to complete the mission. I came up 190g. short of the max which isn't bad considering all the strange places you find it. I think I saw some more but can't figure out how to get it so I may come back for another try later on. I really enjoyed this one but found it much too dark even after adjusting the gamma. I liked the architecture and found the shadow men quite creepy!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    I came up 190g. short of the max which isn't bad considering all the strange places you find it. I think I saw some more but can't figure out how to get it so I may come back for another try later on.
    Just look in every nook and cranny for loot. As well as the tops of buildings and pillars. Chances are thats where the other missing loot is.

I just finished, 50 short of loot. I thought the first part of the mission, the Ruined City, was terrific! The architecture was very good, and the route finding and climbing puzzles were excellent. I went to great lengths to get into some out of the way places, may of which bore fruit, and had a lot of fun doing it. The King's Tomb, however, seems incongruous with the rest, much simpler and not so interesting, apart from the AI. The ending gave me a little trouble.
    spoiler:
    Each time I shot a shadow beast with a fire arrow another would spawn, and then, when the boss beast came out of his cocoon, the two would both attack me together and overwhelm me. I ended up leading a shadow into the pool and so was able to break the cycle. Then, the boss beast just sat there and let me kill him. He lost his attack spirit.
    So, I guess this procedure broke the ending, but it worked.

There are two places I could not get to, which may explain the missing loot. One is the coliseum, which seems blocked from entry. The second is a couple of buildings up on a cliff by the graveyard. I got close, with a mantle sound, but could never get over the cliff. Is there another route up there?

Easy to miss loot: When you finish at the end of the mission you're teleported to the other end of the island, quickly run to your right because there's a big blue gem lying on the ground - you have to be quick cos the mission ends

I've been running around too long and none of the hints have helped and I don't see any statue anywhere... I'm going to sleep now

Really pretty complex mission for contest format. Not very horrifying. I think music is little bit out of Thief universe and more suitable for hack-and-slash epic actions. Ruins are interesting to explore, probably it could be better if author would create even more tiny parallel quests - I think I count 2 or 3 notes about some valuable items and found them.
    I didn't get how to figure out why
    spoiler:
    I have to burn statue (and how can I do it) to open the tomb.
    Are there any hints?

Quote Originally Posted by Durinda D'Bry View Post
    I didn't get how to figure out why
    spoiler:
    I have to burn statue (and how can I do it) to open the tomb.
    Are there any hints?
    Solution: There's a stone stand with a fire burning in the middle. Get yourself into a direct line of sight behind the stand facing the statue. Fire an broadhead arrow through the hole (where the fire burns) in the stand to hit the statue

I think he was asking if there were any hints as to what you're supposed to do in the mission itself. I didn't find any.