TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: MOH mission: The Dead of Winter June 3/2007

Ok, I give up - how do you kill the leader?
    Having come this far I'd like to see how it ends.....I think...

Sticky Fingers: One 'holy water garlic bomb' (what a joke) should finish him off.

I have to agree with TNT.
    I've never played another mission where I could measure my progress by the stack count of my keyring. If I'd known my keyring script was going to be used like this, I would have had it take the label from the last key picked up and apply it to itself...

Find key. Find appropriate door. Search everywhere. Find next key. Find next door. Avoid cliché Doom 3 spawn-in. Find next key. Repeat. Are those even the satanic circles from Doom 3?

The Mechanists' reactions to the events were laughable at best. They didn't even seem to care that their base was being overrun, apart from one guy on the ground floor who kepts saying "I won't go down there!"...
    I also found the fact that a Mechanist could use all those thief's tools a little peculiar.

The architecture was good, but the design just overloaded the engine in a poorly though-out manner, making objects disappear because there were too many on-screen in places.

I did at least have some fun by challenging myself to finish the whole mission using only my bare hands.

Also, the boss battle was the biggest joke, I had quite a good laugh when I knocked out the demon, picked up his wings and threw them away, and then tossed him in the fire and watched him very slowly burn to death.

Now come on, the mission was great. I never had this much fun keyhunting.

Keyhunt itself was a much better keyhunt than this, I think it's safe to say . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
    Ok, I give up - how do you kill the leader?
    Having come this far I'd like to see how it ends.....I think...
    One molotov cocktail finishes him off, even if alert. Remember you need to let his minions finish summoning him before using any weapons against him

Thanx N_V & Shadows.
    Odd thing: I camped in one spot & waited (15 mins!) & it still didn't manifest. Apparently, I had to move a little before it would show up.

Strange - for all its good points, this mission ended up making me feel tired...

(or maybe I'm just gettin' old!)

Hmm odd. For some reason, I could not get
    spoiler:
    him to summon properly

spoiler:
    What I had to was drink my invisibility potion, then run to where he spawns, then run back to hiding place. He would then spawn in a few seconds.

After that defeating was easy enough.

Also, how does one make
    spoiler:
    a garlic bomb?

spoiler:
    I read the instructions and presume you use the beaker in the same lab.

In which case, I could not pour my items into.

Sticky Fingers and Bob: You have to approach the circle before he appears.

Bob: Why the invisibility potion? The summoners are not hostile.

Bob: You need to use a cooking pot in the kitchen (next to another of those Mechanists who just stands there doing nothing and acting completely unperturbed) to make the holy water/garlic bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Sticky Fingers and Bob: You have to approach the circle before he appears.
    A tad bit silly ain't it?

Bob: Why the invisibility potion? The summoners are not hostile.
    Ah! That I never knew.

Bob: You need to use a cooking pot in the kitchen (next to another of those Mechanists who just stands there doing nothing and acting completely unperturbed) to make the holy water/garlic bomb.
    Doh! Then what does the beaker do then?

Stunning
    The beaker up in the tower can be used to make a bottle of cleaning solution for which I never found a use.

Also, the unperturbed Mechanist in the kitchen should get a haunt spawned on top of him when you have the conversation.

He did. I had no trouble finishing off that haunt with my bare hands long before it was able to cause him any serious injury. After that, he just stood there doing nothing.

As for the beaker in the tower: the stain remover can be used to clean the blood-soaked note with the code for the transmitter tower. I'm not really sure why you'd want to, since it's an easy matter to guess the obscured digit, but whatever.

Clearinghouse
    Hm... I can't find the fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by clearing View Post
    Hm... I can't find the fuse.
    It's in the bunk storeroom, you should have a key for it, if you're now trying to activate the beacon.

Clearinghouse
    Oh, I have forgotten about this room Thanks!
    Finally finished

What a great mission! I don't know why there's some hostility towards the key finding, they were all pretty simple to find. You're given a map so you don't get lost and it's pretty logical how things open up. You're also given a couple of ways to get to certain locations.

I was able to ghost the whole thing, apart from in front of my Mechanist friends <3. I thought it was obvious what was going to happen in the chapel, so I waited outside with the door locked until the haunts stop looking. I didn't use a weapon at any stage, apart from the demon at the end, who was easy.

Scratch that - I used my mace once to kill the haunt near the gate in an attempt to save the Mechanist's life.
    Unfortunately - he dies a bit later by script .

There were a couple of bugs - if you save just after the surgeon's message, it repeats the message and at the end of it I was unable to frob anything, draw a weapon, cycle my inventory, etc. I had to [reload and] knock him out before he finished - which caused an inconsistency - as he goes down to the dungeon and gets killed .

It's not so much that the keys were hard to find, but that the whole mission was just one huge, drawn-out keyhunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dussander View Post
    I thought it was obvious what was going to happen in the chapel.
    Indeed. Reminds me of HL.

This was hands-down the best of the four.

Out of morbid curiousity, has anyone who enjoyed this mission played System Shock 2 and/or Doom 3?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNightTerror View Post
    Out of morbid curiousity, has anyone who enjoyed this mission played System Shock 2 and/or Doom 3?
    I've played SS2 loads of times but i haven't played Doom.

I played both a few times each. I guess I was the "target audience" because I apparantly love this stuff.

One portal mishap, several haunts and four keys, none of which open anything. Did I break something? It's pretty, but not fun yet.

Yes and yes.

Doom 3 was in my opinion VERY predictable. Go near a corner or long corridor and you could expect an imp to pop up there.

SS2 on the other hand spawns units at random intervals and locations

I wasn't comparing the SS2 and Doom 3, much less their spawning techniques. (SS2 still scares me with unexpected spawning, but Doom 3 never did.) I was referring to the repairman aspect of SS2.

SW Tower

i must be doing something wrong - i have
    spoiler:
    installed the fuse
    and
    spoiler:
    entered the code
    but nothing happened and the
    spoiler:
    SW Tower gates didnt open

also - when i added the
    spoiler:
    garlic and builders water to the pan it didnt do anything

are my scripts playing up? if so what do i do?

Great mission btw - enjoying it heaps!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast