TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: BioShock Technical Problems and Issues HERE

I fixed my startup crash by installing the latest (August) DirectX from here. It even updates Vista's DX10, apparently, despite its description. I see a lot of people posting with identical or near-identical symptoms.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Bioshock.exe
    Application Version: 1.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 46c2290a
    Fault Module Name: Bioshock.exe
    Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 46c2290a
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0048c4a4
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 8d13
    Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311
    Additional Information 3: 8d13
    Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

I get this message.

I also cannot install the new Nvidia drivers (163.44). It says "This system is not Vista 32-bit" or "No hardward can be updated".

System specs: Dell Insp. 1720 8600m GT 2.0GHz dual core 2gig RAM

The demo plays up until the BioShock logo is shown after the opening movie and then crashes with that display message.

Quote Originally Posted by citizenbill View Post
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Bioshock.exe
    Application Version: 1.0.0.0
    Application Timestamp: 46c2290a
    Fault Module Name: Bioshock.exe
    Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 46c2290a
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0048c4a4
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 8d13
    Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311
    Additional Information 3: 8d13
    Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

I get this message.

I also cannot install the new Nvidia drivers (163.44). It says "This system is not Vista 32-bit" or "No hardward can be updated".

System specs: Dell Insp. 1720 8600m GT 2.0GHz dual core 2gig RAM

The demo plays up until the BioShock logo is shown after the opening movie and then crashes with that display message.

Your not really using Vista 32,but some aborted,and messy os cooked up by Dhell,its called DHISTA

On my wifes work laptop from Dell,which is darn close to yours in spec,she to has problems getting drivers to install.Some seem to think she isnt running Vista Home Prem x86,when she is.

I fixed this by installing a version of Vista I 'found' called Vista Ultimate Lite 1.06

We own three retail copies of Home,one of Pro,and two of Vista,Ultimate X64 and Home Premium X86.Most were bought at my Uni for 50 to 70 Cdn dollars.

IF,you know of anyone who goes to a University,ask them to buy you a copy
    (student discount for the WIN) I got my retail of Ultimate X86 for 71 dollars.

Google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    I fixed my startup crash by installing the latest (August) DirectX from here. It even updates Vista's DX10, apparently, despite its description. I see a lot of people posting with identical or near-identical symptoms.
    I installed this directx version, and now I get CTD immediately upon loading a save game or starting a new one and getting to Rapture. I can't quite decide if that's better or worse than hangs/hosed video/CTDs after a few steps. At least this is consistent.

I'm not sure if you guys have seen this or not, but over in the other forums 2KElizabeth posted a link to this Knowledge Base for known problems.

Quote Originally Posted by evilchili View Post
    I installed this directx version, and now I get CTD immediately upon loading a save game or starting a new one and getting to Rapture.
    Yeah, the DirectX thing only helps those of us who couldn't start it at all. I've had occasional in-game crashes but nothing like what you're experiencing.

I can't even get the demo to install, get the following error when trying to run setup:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I have admin rights on this account. I am running windows XP SP2, Nvidia 7800gs+ with 2gm RAM. I have the latest video drivers.
    I've downloaded the demo twice from two different sources, trying updating winrar, everything i can possibly think of. I'm stumped

Yeah, the DirectX thing only helps those of us who couldn't start it at all. I've had occasional in-game crashes but nothing like what you're experiencing.
    Ah, but installing it *did* help after all -- once I had the aug. 20 directx installed, disabling the high-quality shaders solved the crashy crashy for me as well; with my previous directx 9.0c it did not. Odd. Anyhow thanks to the original poster for the workaround

-chili

Quote Originally Posted by Lwkd View Post
    I can't even get the demo to install, get the following error when trying to run setup:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I have admin rights on this account. I am running windows XP SP2, Nvidia 7800gs+ with 2gm RAM. I have the latest video drivers.
    I've downloaded the demo twice from two different sources, trying updating winrar, everything i can possibly think of. I'm stumped
    Fixed my own problem, had to disable AVG and Spybot resident scanners. Very bizarre.

Does anyone have a solution for my problem?

Just installed the latest DX, still crashes on startup.

Issues with sound

When i play bioshock i hear popping sounds. I have conexant high definition speakers. what can be done to fix it?

People who are having issues with "Bioshock.exe has stopped working" may want to take a look at this thread http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6356.

This is actually working for a bunch of people including myself. The only downfall is you get no audio after the opening plane crash, however, you do get to at least see the game and it looks great.

Ok, i have been waiting for this game forever..

I started up the program, did good till i got to the main menu...
    #1 - I cant see the damn cursor, i spent 5 min trying to find the New Game
    #2 - When it showed him inside the plane, it looks beautiful, then the plane crashed and all my textures are crap....i cant see where im going or what is going on.

I updated DX, and my graphics drivers just now and it still has these problems

Specs

WinXP SP2
    Athlon +3000 64
    Radeon x800 XT PE
    1.5 GB RAM

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    i am pleased to report that reducing the resolution a little to something more standard (1024x768) has solved all stability issues i had with the game last night. i just pounded through port neptune and the smuggler's hideout without a hitch.

My only MAJOR bug problem is............

I go to play, set the audio (X-Fi Extreme)
    I set my res to widescreen 1600x1200x32
    I turn on eax, and reverb

Set my keybindings. NO gamepad

Saves, and I go play... then exit later.

Open the game again to play some more, and I get an ERROR and a crashed bioshock.exe. So I close the error popup, and click again on the icon, and the games loads this time. But all my settings are set back to defaults as before.

I am going to manually edit the INI file now, and see if that works. It MAY write stuff incorrectly in the INI (a bug) and causes a reset/crash... dunno.

I run a fast system:

Intel DC 6600
    2 Gig Gskill unbuffered
    8800 GTS nVidia
    Win XP Pro

It's kinda sad that YET AGAIN, we see a game company/publisher released a buggy game. THIS is the main reason PC Gaming is dying. Companies used to actually care about the product they released. Not as much now. Now, it's about profit.

And it seems more like a FPS than anything so far, which is VERY Disappointing. Why are they dumbing down games? For the console crowd? pfff.. I wish they would release a game with the intelligence and sophistication of Ultima Underworld or Thief 1 & 2. Will we ever see a game of that depth again?

same issue as citizenbill

it looks like i have the same issue as citizenbill
    Dell XPS M1330, intel core 2 duo 1.8Ghz
    2GB RAM
    128MB NVIDIA 8400M GS
    Running 32 bit VISTA
    Have DirectX 10

The full version, store bought game stops working right after the bioshock logo that appears after the plane goes down. I can't install the new drivers from NVIDIA because it claims i'm not running a 32 bit version of Vista. I tried downloading the same driver from laptopvideo2go.com did the driver install thing, it says it installed but I see no difference in the game. Please help.

Btw, my computer doesn't crash, only the game. Once I realize that the game has stopped, i can instantly go to Ctrl+Alt+Del and end the game.

I've also tried playing on the ABSOLUTE lowest graphics settings, no diff.
    Last edited by Tobster720; 23rd Aug 2007 at 12:13.

There doesn't appear to be any way to enable 3D audio (via CMSS 3D on an X-Fi card) while using headphones in BioShock.

The closest sound mode for headphone use is just vanilla stereo. With the audio in BioShock being so amazing, I'd really like to play this game with headphones and 3D sound, so I can relish in all of the aural detail and atmosphere, as I do with the Thief series and SS2.

Sometimes the plasmids I picked aren't saving after I resurrect in the vita chamber.It reverts back to the config I had before using the gene bank.Happened in the one at the beginning of Neptunes bounty.

i open the game fine, but on the main screen i have no mouse cursor, and after the intro, im in the water i guess and fire all around me, but the graphics are all messed up and i cant tell a thing thats going on. what is wrong? i have no cursor through out the game.

CTDs when going from Smuggler to Arcadia level

I've had a number of CTDs but they were random. One huge PITA is that I always lose my graphics and audio options, every single time it crashes.

Anyway, I've finally hit a gamestopper. Any time I try to use the Bulkhead To Arcadia to transition out of the Smuggler's level, I get the usual Loading screen for about 4 seconds, and then always get a CTD.

Anyone else seen this?

Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (latest Dual Core driver)
    nVidia 8800 GTS (one card)
    ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe w/4 GB RAM
    Win XP Home 32-bit

I have the beta nVidia drivers recommended during the install.

Quote Originally Posted by natedogg2005 View Post
    Ok, i have been waiting for this game forever..

I started up the program, did good till i got to the main menu...
    #1 - I cant see the damn cursor, i spent 5 min trying to find the New Game
    #2 - When it showed him inside the plane, it looks beautiful, then the plane crashed and all my textures are crap....i cant see where im going or what is going on.

I updated DX, and my graphics drivers just now and it still has these problems

Specs

WinXP SP2
    Athlon +3000 64
    Radeon x800 XT PE
    1.5 GB RAM
    I am having the same problem. I have no cursor so I cannot see what I'm selecting in any menus. I have turned everything off in the video options now and set the textures to low.

in game i see this;

no textures, just blackness, weird particle stuff. not sure whats going on. Updated directX and ATI drivers. my specs are;

WinXp Pro Sp2
    Radeon 9700 Pro (latest drivers and bioshock ati patch)
    AMD 64 3200+ 2.20 GHz
    1.5 gig ram

I have been playing with Smartgar and turned it off for now with no results. any suggestions?

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by bandersnatch View Post
    I have been playing with Smartgar and turned it off for now with no results. any suggestions?
    I suggest that you should consider the possiblity that when people say this game requires a Shader Model 3-capable card, they may very well not be joking.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    I suggest that you should consider the possiblity that when people say this game requires a Shader Model 3-capable card, they may very well not be joking.
    yea i didn't know my card didn't support that.

I lose all my settings whenever the game crashes (which hasn't been nearly as frequently past the first level, thankfully). Even when the game doesn't crash, I lose my v-sync setting every time I re-start.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast