making a great game better, thanks you guys!
At long long long long last, here it is!
SHTUP BETA 6
- Download size: 15.7 MB
- Uncompressed size: 43.1 MB
- Updated Object Models: 252
- Updated Object Textures: 715
- Updated Terrain Textures: 121
- Several dozen most excellently updated/retextured pipe models (IceNine)
- Updated "annelid goo" models (IceNine again)
- Updated plant models (Black Boe)
- Updated Earth skybox (Black Boe again)
- Redrawn Xerxes face (Eldron)
- Updated world model wrench textures (Ichu)
- Several fixed object models (the inimitable Esh)
- Updated "annelid goo" textures to complement IceNine's updated models.
- Updated basketball hoop, basketball court (same res, but should look a little more natural now), and basketball inventory icon
- Re-Updated the MedSci "VB" door texture. This was one of the first textures I updated back in 2003, so it was looking a little rough. Thanks to Esh tweaking the door model, it's now a full 256x512 texture. Also, finally updated the damaged version of this door.
- Made some tweaks to the HUD graphics so the edges don't change when switching between Use/Shoot mode anymore.
- Cleaned up all the square warning signs with the horizontal color stripes. They should all look much more consistent now, with the stripes always on the same side and no weird Z-fighting issues. Also, the signs that used to have a flashing white stripe will now have a flashing red stripe. Turns out it was always supposed to be red, but a palette mismatch caused it to appear white instead.
- Updated all the "big red letter" signs so that each letter is its own 256x256 texture. Super sharp!
- Updated most non-square signage to use TGA textures. This means that all edges will now have a smooth, anti-aliased appearance. This is especially noticeably on signs with text.
- Updated all blood splats and blood scrawls to use TGA textures as well. In addition to the edge-smoothing effect, variable transparency was used to give the blood a nice gory smeared appearance.
- Cleaned up the Rickenbacker logos on the Rickenbacker map screens.
- Trash cans now have actual trash in them.
- The snow-covered floors now actually look like snow.
- Wedge lights now have a texture that actually looks like something, instead of the old blank white texture.
- Rickenbacker deck A/B/C signs inverted to match the Rickenbacker's deck layout (A at the bottom, C at the top).
- Three out of four stim unit faces upgraded (still can't figure out who that second guy is).
- Recreation deck room signs height slightly increased so VB logo is round now.
- Piano console screen upgraded. Name that tune!
Here are a few screenshots. More available at the SHTUP site.
Currently hosted at FileFront: shtup_beta6.zip
making a great game better, thanks you guys!
Great news, thank you very much
That's a good reason to stop playing Half-Life maps and start playing SS2 again
Wow, that is some really good work! I'd happily play it all over again just to see those in game
Looks a like a slightly thinner John Cusack.Originally Posted by [*
(sorry about the pic)
But I can't download it, Filefront is giving me headaches as usual and I don't have a program to download torrents.
Thanks raph, downloading it as we speak.
Thanks Guys. Fantastic Work.
If you need another mirror, just give us a shout. Got plenty of bandwith to spare.
Very nice. Too bad I practically just finished an SS2 playthrough . Guess I have something to look forward to for next time!
Curious thing though, what drove the decision to change the Xerxes face that much? In the original, the face has more transparency, the lines of light framing the face are visible through the face and are more numerous. The new version has half as many of them, and the face has much less transparency, covering up the ends of those lines. The quality is great, but I can't say I like that particular thematic alteration.
Thanks ZB et al. You just gave me the reason I was waiting for to resume playing ss2 after nearly 5 years.
You've kept the faith and delivered.
Thanks to everyone involved. Great work.
Nice. Gives me another reason to look up this game again at some point in the future.
Awesome guys! Can I install this without botching my current game?
Assuming you just have the original game installed, nothing should go wrong as long as you make the game mod ready first.
Very nice work guys!
AND perfect timing because I just started a new gaming session!
Great work Thank you!
Fantastic! I haven't played Polaris yet (yes I know, shame ), but when I do I'll have SHTUP Beta 6 installed to up the prettiness even more.
Thanks for the team's hard work on this!
I'm hoping nobody has had any performance problems with Beta 6. It uses a ton of Targa textures, which might slow loading and rendering down a bit.
I'll have to try SHTUP in the regular game and see if the same thing happens.
EDIT: It's just in Polaris.
Last edited by redrain85; 4th Sep 2007 at 20:23.
FWIW, I haven't noticed any difference except the Von Braun looks a hell of a lot sharper with SHTUP. Load times and framerates seem to be the same regardless of whether SHTUP is installed or not. This is on a 2.8 GHz P4 with an nVidia 6800GT card.
This is the first time I've played with SHTUP and I've gotta say this mod kicks butt. I've never really been able to play above 1024x768 before because most of the textures looked too blurry and/or too pixelated. Now I'm playing at 1600x1200 and the ship is looking sweet. Thanks guys!
Solid titanium! Thanks a lot!