TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 98 123456111621263136414651 ... LastLast

Thread: Thief 1/2 & SShock 2: DDFix and Enhanced Resolution Patch - discussion

bikerdude

DDfix is no longer used or applicable due to the release of update executables for Thief1/2, see the following thread -

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...02#post2143402.

But if you want trouble free updating of Thief1/2 then go to the following threads -

T1 - http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733
    T2 - http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131106

This thread stopped being maintained ages ago due a lack of appreciation by the forum mods and for all the hard work and info located here being copied ad-infinitum to the 'official' DDfix/Widescreen thread maintained by Namless Voice

Even after all this time, yeah it stills fucks me off because this is another symptom of an general attitude of some of the people that run this forum.
    Last edited by bikerdude; 16th Jul 2014 at 15:45.

weepaaaa
    great news

tankssssss

How exactly the patch is installed?

Thanks for the patch.

The installation procedure is explained in the readme file contained in the 7-Zip archive (Thief2Fix.7z). I'll have to say that the installation is not for the faint of heart, and it needs some above average computer knowledge. Two things that are not obvious are the need to download the 7-Zip software to unzip the files (a little rebellion, it would appear ), and the need to download and use a hex editor to find and modify some ASCII text bytes in the Thief 2 EXE file.

Anyway, I did it successfully and got excellent results with my 7950 Gt using both 84.56 and 163.71 drivers. Details of my experience with some comments and screen shots are given in this post.

Thank you very much, Timeslip! This little patch will be a boon to thousands of Thief players.

A simple question: What does this patch exactly?

Are there also improvements with radeon X1xxx cards? (Maybee the fog... :P)

It appears to be a Direct3D related patch. I think it forces the game to use certain DirectX options. The readme also mentions that you can use the patch to force 32bit textures.

Timeslip is the one that should explain exactly what it does. Personally, as long as it works, i'm happy! Thanks again, Timeslip!

bikerdude

Question for TTLG mods

Question:

Is there any problem with me/Timeslip including a "DDFIX'd" thief2.exe in his package, as the hex editing approach is beyond some taffers.. I dont see it as a prob as I believe something similar was done in past for thief gold.....

regards

biker
    Last edited by bikerdude; 19th Oct 2007 at 05:12.

Thanks for providing the patch (the 7zip-compression is debatable, though)!

I tested it immediately in a 7800 GTX SLI configuration - driver version: 84.21

Good:
    - Stars!
    - Good sky!
    - Good dark textures!
    - No ugly dithering!

Bad:
    - no fog whatsoever (tested with "Life of the Party" and "Kidnapped") !!!
    - incredibly slow at 1280x1024 (with 32 bit textures and without, w.o. limiter)

Does a newer driver version (or a GF8) eliminate the problems?

bye
    Calibrator

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Calibrator View Post
    Bad:

How do I specify those missions (sorry ive had a few beers at lunchtime), and I will test the fog issue.

And I did notice a slight stutter at 1280x1024 on my 8800GTX

biker

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    How do I specify those missions (sorry ive had a few beers at lunchtime), and I will test the fog issue.

And I did notice a slight stutter at 1280x1024 on my 8800GTX

biker
    If you have the following line in your user.bnd:

bind end+alt+ctrl+shift win_mission

you can skip missions (= finish them) with this key combo until you are at the right one.

"Life of the Party" is the one where you start at the clocktower and make your way through the city above ground.
    "Kidnap" (or "Kidnapped"? - sorry, I've got the German version) is the one where you infiltrate Markham's Isle and later the Mechanist submarine.
    "Masks" is the one before "Sabotage at Soulforge".

The fog should be right at the beginning so you don't have to go far into the mission.

HTH,
    Calibrator

What's the issue with 7-zip compression? WinRAR (which I would assume most people have) supports it without any issues what-so-ever, and even if you don't, the 7-Zip program is free.

-

I just tested this on my laptop, which has a Radeon Mobility X300 (and is obviously not affected by the nVIDIA problems):

There are a number of issues, including those Calibrator already pointed out:
    Firstly, there is no fog whatsoever. Not even the unpleasant wall-of-fog I'm used to on the Radeon by now.

It does indeed run incredibly slowly (I only get a few FPS in the open scene at the start of Life of the Party). Particle effects in particular seem to cause extra lag.
    There are also some serious issues with particle effects having intermittent black squares around some of their particles, as shown in these screenshots:

[

In addition, returning from DromEd game mode with the patch applied makes DromEd stuck in always-on-top mode, and trying to move it will cause the title and menu bar to disappear and the editor to get stuck in the top-left corner of the screen.
    This might be due to the way in which the patch changes the screen resolution. It seems to resize the desktop resolution while its running - something which I noticed when starting it: rather than just switching into the game at the appropriate resolution, it spends a few seconds switching around the resolution of the desktop before going into game mode.

Note the phantom 1280x1024 window border around DromEd in that screenshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibrator View Post
    "Kidnap" (or "Kidnapped"? - sorry, I've got the German version) is the one where you infiltrate Markham's Isle and later the Mechanist submarine.
    Precious Cargo is what that one is called (don't know about in German). It's got about the best implimentation of fog and weather in the game so should be goof for testin'.

bikerdude
    well I got all the way to the bank in life of the party and saw no fog, so Im assuming thatsd the problem, the new fix dosent render any fog..? Also on my test system celeron 1.6 2gb ddr2400 with the 8800GTX on a PCI-Ex1 slot it was very laggy when compared to the vanillia version of thief.
    But that all said its a WIP, so Timeslip will Im sure optimise it and make it better etc.

biker
    Last edited by bikerdude; 13th Feb 2010 at 06:47.

A simple question: What does this patch exactly?
    It tries to work around a couple of nvidia driver issues by wrapping thief's D3D calls and making small adjustments to them.

There are two main issues causing most of the problems. The first is a problem with rendering pre-transformed verticies from system memory with a z value of exactly one, which was responsible for the invisible stars. My patch just checks for any verticies with z >= 1 and sets it to 0.9999 before passing them on to D3D. My guess is that this is a driver bug, because with a bit of proding I could not only get the entire sky to vanish completely, but I could get the light gem to disapear behind nearby walls, even though it's rendered with the zbuffer disabled.

The second is the lack of dithering support, which presumably was a deliberate design decision by nvidia. I fixed that by tricking thief into using a 32 bit render target, so the lack of dithering isn't noticable.

The lack of pallatted texture support isn't an issue for thief 2, because it only uses them as a fallback when 16 bit textures aren't available. Given the choice, the only formats it uses are A1R5G5B5, R5G6B5, A4R4G4B4 and, slightly oddly, A8R8G8B8. The sky was A4R4G4B4, iirc.

Is thereany problem with me/Timeslip including a "DDFIX'd" thief2.exe in his package, as the hex editing approach is beyond some taffers.. I dont see it as a prob as I believe something similar was done in past for thief gold.....
    If you can wait till tomorrow, I'll make an installer/GUI.

the 7zip-compression is debatable, though
    I'm surprised that no-one seems familer with .7z's. .zip may be the most popular format on windows, but .7z and .rar are good runners up. They give far better compression ratios than .zip, and almost any compression software will open either of them these days.

I've definately managed to break fog. I've no idea what's going on there; I can see thief setting all the relevent render states, but they don't seem to be doing anything. I'll have a play with it tomorrow and see if I can find what I've broken.

I have no fps problems; I'm averaging ~100 fps with 8x AA and 16x AF turned on. (I have an E6600, 2GB, 8800 GTS) My patch doesn't put much extra pressure on the video card, but it does do a fair amount of cpu work checking the verticies and blanking a few mb of textures 3 times a frame. I wouldn't have thought it was enough to cause problems, but I'll see what I can do to speed it up.

In any case, 1.0.4 is up. I've added an option to disable AF, (it was always on in the original patch,) and added an option to choose which graphics card to use if you have more than one, because if people have an old graphics card installed to play thief with, my patch could be mistakenly using it instead of the newer one. There are also a couple of other changes that may improve performance, so it might be worth giving it another go.

There are also some serious issues with particle effects having intermittent black squares around some of their particles, as shown in these screenshots:
    I have no problems with particle effects, but from those screenshots it looks like alpha blending is getting turned off. I've added an option to force it on at all times, but I've no idea if it will help.

In addition, returning from DromEd game mode with the patch applied makes DromEd stuck in always-on-top mode, and trying to move it will cause the title and menu bar to disappear and the editor to get stuck in the top-left corner of the screen.
    Try setting fullscreen or windowfix to 0
    Last edited by Timeslip; 19th Oct 2007 at 16:57.

Sorry, I forgot to mention: it crashes instantly if AA is enabled. The default in your ini was 8. I also set windowfix to zero, but it doesn't seem to cause problems either way.
    Setting Windowed=0 solves the problem of DromEd being forced into the top-left corner on return from game mode, but does not fix the always-on-top problem.
    Also, it means that game mode is running in a window, of course.

;Set to 1 to fix the duel core related crash
    DuelCoreFix=1
    That should be 'dual core'.

EDIT:

I get this with the new version:

(The very start of Life of the Party)
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 19th Oct 2007 at 17:31.

This is excellent news indeed!

Coincidentally, I'd just started working on a similar tack with T1G but Timeslip is waaaay ahead of me on the power curve.

@Timeslip: Any chance of sharing the source code so that we can see the techniques being used? Along the same lines, how are you debugging all of this? I've been painstakingly single-stepping using a remote IDA Pro session but it sounds like you have some higher level tools to see the DirectDraw and D3D stuff directly. PM me if you've got the time and inclination.

Either way, thanks for everything!!!
    Last edited by WET; 19th Oct 2007 at 23:00.

I have had Shocked get stuck on top after exiting game mode of late. Perhaps the patch isn't to blame.
    (Which reminds me, I could actully try this out)

Haha. Looking at Thief2.exe in the first free hex editor I could find shows no instances of ddraw.dll (or DDRAW.dll, or DDRAW.DLL) anywhere in the file. Quite a few other dlls get mentioned though.
    Oh well, guess I'm out of this game.

A few more things to report with the DDFIXed version.

Like others, I have no fog. No fog but beautiful stars. I test fog in the FM Swamped. The original EXE has proper fog.

EDIT: This is a false alarm. The original EXE fails too.
    When hitting escape to quit the briefing movie before Casing the Joint, the DDXFIXed version crashes about half the time and works about half the time. The original EXE quits the movie correctly all the time, so far.

I installed the latest DX 9.C update to get that missing DDL, and now the screenshots work fine. It's very convenient to have the JPGs directly. I did not know that when you installed a DX version updates were provided later that did not bump the version number. I suggest you point this out in the installation instructions.

On a lark, I tried patching Thief Gold with this DDFIX, under the theory that invoking a better DLL would not hurt. It ran OK, but the light gem and the image of the selected weapon disappear behind game textures at a horizontal plane, like a setting sun, when you look down below horizontal.

EDIT: This is wrong. It is masks that has the rain. I was confused by the rain sound and the dry pavement.
    I have had a problem ever since buying my 7950 GT that the rain at the start of Casing the Joint did not display, nor does the water in the starting pond display. I do have weather turned on. I was hoping that the DDFIX would correct that, but it didn't. I have lack of rain with two driver versions (84.56 and 163.71 and with the original EXE and the DDFIX EXE.
    Last edited by smithpd; 20th Oct 2007 at 03:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
    There is no rain or water (or fog) in Casing the Joint, that's saved for Masks. The water sound in the starting pool of CtJ is a known bug.
    Thanks! LOL You are quite right. I went on to Masks and found rain but no fog with the DDFIX version. Glad to get that squared away. Sorry for the false alarm.

Also, I had the original EXE crash on hitting ESC from a movie, so guess it is not unique to DDFIX but was only bad luck.

That leaves fog as the only real issue for me now.
    Last edited by smithpd; 20th Oct 2007 at 02:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzman View Post
    Haha. Looking at Thief2.exe in the first free hex editor I could find shows no instances of ddraw.dll (or DDRAW.dll, or DDRAW.DLL) anywhere in the file. Quite a few other dlls get mentioned though.
    Oh well, guess I'm out of this game.
    No DDRAW.DLL in my thief2.exe, too. Version is 1.18, file length 250.438 Bytes.

I've temporarily uploaded the patched .exe file here. That link will expire in one week, by which time we'll hopefully have a full patch uploaded somewhere anyway.

Note: That archive just has the modified Thief2.exe (which I renamed to ddfix-Thief2.exe to avoid confusion / overwriting). It does not include Timeslip's fix itself.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 20th Oct 2007 at 04:17.

*whisper* That's a link to a local hard drive directory. *whisper*

Oops, fixed now!
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 20th Oct 2007 at 13:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice
    I get this with the new version:
    oops..

Fixed in 1.0.6.

Quote Originally Posted by WET
    @Timeslip: Any chance of sharing the source code so that we can see the techniques being used? Along the same lines, how are you debugging all of this? I've been painstakingly single-stepping using a remote IDA Pro session but it sounds like you have some higher level tools to see the DirectDraw and D3D stuff directly. PM me if you've got the time and inclination.
    Source code is included with the non-installer version, in the src folder.

ida pro wasn't involved, apart from looking at a few callback function to see which texture types thief was checking for. It's just a pile of fake DX interfaces, so they don't really care what thief is doing, just which DX functions it calls.

Page 1 of 98 123456111621263136414651 ... LastLast