TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Your favourite artifact combo.

Your favourite artifact combo.

After X16, when good suits became available, I decided to give up using of bullet proof artifacts with radiation effects (Night Star f.e.) and found that permanently equipped Soul became quite useful in the later stages as a good armor suit makes its negative effects insignificant in comparison, and accelerated healing really helps.
    ---------------
    So, now after X16 my choice is:
    2 x Mama's Beads, 2 x Moonshine, Soul (life regeneration, possibility to run for quite some time when overloaded, 2 beads compensate Soul's bulletproof penalty).
    or
    2 x Crystals, 2 x Moonshine, Soul (life regeneration, possibility to run for quite some time when overloaded, quick rad. inactivation (-60) )
    ---------------
    Before X16 it was:
    2 x Mama's Beads, 2 x Night Star, Crystal (+20% bulletproof).

BR796164
    I never use more than one type of artifact at the same time, I prefer weaker, however more general protection.

Quote Originally Posted by BR796164 View Post
    I never use more than one type of artifact at the same time, I prefer weaker, however more general protection.
    And your combo then?

I prefer to defend myself from more prevalent dangers - bullets and radiation as well as give myself a possibility to run for a long time when overloaded. I don't see a reason for constant wearing of anti-anomalies artifacts f.e.

BR796164
    I usually use the most efficient variations I find, of course. My most favourite are Soul, Urchin, Crystal, Slime, Battery and Spring. I only very rarely find Kolobok, Goldfish, Urchin and Mama's Beads and Slime.

Artifacts are more like a decoration for me, useful, yes, but I don't bother myself with inventing special combos and changing them according to specific situation.

For extended stamina I rely on energy drinks, I carry one or two with me all the time for cases of emergency.

SShock2.com

I use several combinations, actually. Normally I carry around several artifacts all the time, which I swap accordingly to the situation. My most usual combination is three +5 bulletproof cap artifacts (Mama's Beads or Nightstars), one Moonlight, and one Crystal or Fireball. When I get into a heavy fight I swap the Moonlight for another bulletproof cap artifact. When the fight is over I equip two Souls to heal myself. If I know that I'll be walking/running a lot instead of fighting I swap the third bulletproof cap artifact for another Moonlight.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Arcy View Post
    I use several combinations, actually. Normally I carry around several artifacts all the time, which I swap accordingly to the situation. My most usual combination is three +5 bulletproof cap artifacts (Mama's Beads or Nightstars), one Moonlight, and one Crystal or Fireball. When I get into a heavy fight I swap the Moonlight for another bulletproof cap artifact. When the fight is over I equip two Souls to heal myself. If I know that I'll be walking/running a lot instead of fighting I swap the third bulletproof cap artifact for another Moonlight.

It's a nice strategy but one has to be a thorough person to bother to change sets often. If devs implemented hot keys for user defined sets of artifacts it would be a whole different story.

BR796164
    Mmm, changing jewellery in the middle of firefight. Trendy!

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by 242 View Post
    It's a nice strategy but one has to be a thorough person to bother to change sets often.
    Well, I am a thorough person For instance, I also don't leave anything behind. I pick up every single item I find, stash them in places near the transition points, just to be able to take them to traders and sell them. That's why I normally finish my games with around 2M Ru.

BR796164
    But you must get rid of the money if you want any other Monolith ending than I WANT TO BE RICH, right?

Well, I am a thorough person For instance, I also don't leave anything behind. I pick up every single item I find, stash them in places near the transition points, just to be able to take them to traders and sell them.
    I have an idea for a challenge for some quite time now: to finish Stalker without searching bodies, stashes, and picking up weapons and ammo of others. Only artifacts allowed to be picked up and main quest items of course.

I.e. all suits, ammo and weapon have to be actually purchased from traders. Now, that would be THE challenge I think. Prices are pretty high and you'll need to do a lot of side quests and searching for artifacts to get money and equip yourself. Also, strong shortcoming of ammo will add as a major factor for strategy planning.

SShock2.com

Quote Originally Posted by BR796164 View Post
    But you must get rid of the money if you want any other Monolith ending than I WANT TO BE RICH, right?
    I never end the game at the Wish Granter. That only happened once, on my first playthrough, and yes, obviously I got that ending.

10 note
    In one game I managed to get hold of four moonlights and one... of the midrange endurance booster, I forget what it's called. With that, you can sprint an awful lot on 59.9KG. My usual mix would be three mamas beads, soul and moonlight. four or five crystals/urchins can be useful for getting around radiation if you don't have a well maintained rad suit.

BR796164
    I never end the game at the Wish Granter. That only happened once, on my first playthrough, and yes, obviously I got that ending.
    What about the other wishgranter endings, you saw the cinematics? I didn't, that's why I'm curious, are they different? This time I want to choose the Zone to disappear.

To a degree. All wishgranter cinematics are cute but they're short and share one common idea. 'I want the Zone to disappear' is especially funny... in a gloomy way.

BR796164
    You mean you've seen them all? I wish I could rip the videos out somehow, I don't know if I'll play the game 5-6 times to see them all.

Yes saw them all, after I finished the game of course.
    You may watch them all on YouTube, there is plenty of Stalker videos.

In the endgame I generally equip Mama's Beads, Soul, Crystal and TWO Moonlights. The Moonlights allow me to sprint indefinitely when under 50kg; I would equip more if I have found more.

The Moonlight's electric damage penalty is only a problem if you blunder into electric anomalities, and those things can generally be seen from a mile off, figuratively speaking. If the game packs something like a lightning gun, then it would be a different matter.

I probably stash an extra Soul and Crystal in the pack for emergency use.

Two +sprint regen moonlights(moonshine?) and three +rad regen fireballs... everything else gets trashed. Just not worth the extra effort and weight

I usually carry - the green haz-mat suit and a monolith body armor and the Vintar BC / G-36 rifles and sometimes a pistol for the sheer fun of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trappin View Post
    and three +rad regen fireballs...
    Crystals are better - -30, while Fireballs give only -20. But they are very rare things.

I agree 242. I just haven't found the crystals during this play through -->SANEX v1.004 mod. In fact I haven't found the moonlights yet.. I'm currently using the lower quality +sprint artifacts.

I've gotten pretty lazy about searching stash sites and need to clear the marked locations.

SShock2.com

If you want to find Moonlights (or other endurance-enhancing artifacts) you should go looking for them between 0:00 - 5:00. That's when they spawn. In my current game, I just waited until midnight before going into the Agroprom undergrounds, and I found one Moonlight and four Flashes. Which will come very handy in these earlier stages of the game.

Yes, I found a few Moonlights in the Agroprom underground too, also, at least 2 Moonlights are on the Wild Territory at the railway tracks with lots of Electras.

I think the most useful artifact in the game actually. One is enough to quickly cover huge distances - very useful for quick execution of quests of Barkeeper, Gen. Voronin etc. Mama's Beads goes after it in terms of usefulness, and only then Soul and Crystal.

PS: Is it just me or artifact regeneration rate cardinally slackened after 1.0004? I just don't see new artifacts appear, at least on surface, after I previously picked up all I could see. A GOOD thing as for me.
    Last edited by 242; 2nd Nov 2007 at 05:49.

My favorite combo is 2 - 3 endurance increasing artifacts and radiation decrease ones, like Urchin or Fireball. Works great in Red Forest.

Bjossi - I like that setup too.

242 - I think so. Its hard to tell when mods and patches keep changing. Would be nice to have the final official patch before Clear Skies is released.