TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T2 FM: The Lost Crusade 10 Nov 2007

Keeper of FMs

T2 FM: The Lost Crusade 10 Nov 2007

This is an enjoyable new mission set in a daylight city with lots of shadows for hiding - if you need them. This is a visually beautiful city with lots to explore...and accessible rooftops!! Be careful when on the rooftops and in some of the higher buildings because if you look up or out across the city, the video can clip enough to hang the game. I had to restart twice. However, the rest of the mission makes this a minor annoyance easily overlooked. Overall, this is a fun mission.

Get it here.

Oh cool! This is by Spoonman. This must be the sequel to Heretics and Pagans & Broken Hammers!

Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: --- well I spoke to soon. After thoroughly reading the description it doesn't seem to be connected to those missions. But it still sounds very interesting nonetheless!

When pavlovscat mentioned it took place in a city I assumed it was the sequel to H &P because that ended at the gates to a city.

Desperately Dodgy Moderator
    This sounds great! I'll have to play it once I'm done with testing on HDM.

eek!

eerrm hay this is a good fm but im having problems, seems every time i get to a point on a some buildings the building flickers and the game crashed out with the error message "ERROR : ClipAlloc : scene complexity is to high" ......so any ideas guys ?

Yeah in some places you start getting the 'end of the world' view. I just stared at the ground and didn't look up too high. The readme didn't mention any of this though, not sure if this is meant to happen or just haven't got enough RAM.

Just started playing, wow the graphics look great in this one and is that early morning mist i see?

Cool a new city mission and in daylight as well

Keeper of FMs
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowrevan View Post
    eerrm hay this is a good fm but im having problems, seems every time i get to a point on a some buildings the building flickers and the game crashed out with the error message "ERROR : ClipAlloc : scene complexity is to high" ......so any ideas guys ?
    If you look generally downward and slowly look up until you just start to see the clipping, then look slightly down until the clipping stops, you should be OK. I only had this problem in the city when at the highest levels.

Clearinghouse
    Sequel Heretics and Pagans & Broken Hammers? Cool!!!!!!!!!!!

OK I think I am at the end and just want to warn peeps you should finish exploring the town and getting loot, before searching for the relic.

I can definitely see the inspiration for this mission though, very enjoyable.

Is there anyway to get the stranded soldier's sword and find your way back up to the ladder?

Great mission!!!!

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks.

Clearinghouse

Great mission! Obviously highly influenced by Indiana Jones. Probably the best looking mines I've seen in a Thief mission. The traps were awesome, as was the canyon (reminded me of that cliffside part in Half Life 1.) I liked the Bonehoard ambient sounds used in the crypts. Two things though. Most of the staircases were a bit on the steep side, especially the one in the tavern at the beginning. I literally had to mantle up half the steps! Also, the mission contained one of my fan mission pet peeves, the use of frobbable-looking doors for non-frobbable ones. It's a little annoying to have to go up and check every door to see if it can be opened or not. Other than that, good job!

What's nice atmosphere! But looks pretty buggy for me: people sometimes walking on tables or other obstacles, some stairs are hard to walk, many polygon clipping problems,
    spoiler:
    guard near gates to "mining" area is too friendly - it doesn't resond to my stacking crate sounds, but guards behind gates alerted; big crates there produced sometimes jumping sound unexpectedly when I moved on them, it was not possible to sneak as ghost

Also I noticed problem with fog enabled - everything except sky is covered white color. Strange, well known ATI fix (enable Table/Z Fog, disable W fog) doesn't help here.

Gave it none Betatest for this FM?

But the atmosphere is very nice,good job taffer.

I spend at least 25 attempts along the cliffside jumping from ledge to ledge and almost gave the whole thing up. Most annoying.
    It's so easy, but I can't do it.
    So risky - but I gotta chance it.
    It's so funny, there's nothing to laugh about

My problem is that I'm not Indiana Jones! Just can't get past the ledge with the crate, I keep getting stuck on the edge of next one. Technique tips gratefully received.

And as so often after I post I either find it or do it. After getting stuck again, I tried again to work my way round the ledge and this time, although I'd tried before, I was able to mantle up to the ledge with the ladder
    Last edited by nickie; 11th Nov 2007 at 08:53.

So far so good; I've found this FM to be quite enjoyable in spite of the somewhat hard to climb stairs & clipping problems when on top of a tower or taller building, but used pavlov's method & the FM stopped crashing. I am stuck right now, though. I'm in the area of the ruins where you read the soldier's account of sealing the double doors because of the creepy guys that slashed his buddies and I can't find a way to proceed. I tried climbing that ramp at the end of the large room, but when I've tried to run down the tunnel-hallway with all the booby traps I end up getting killed at the very end of the tunnel, so can't go any further. I've tried that trap-laden tunnel about six times now & just keep getting killed. Is there a secret way to get to where ever the relic is & I'm just missing it? As I said, so far I've been enjoying this FM very much, but really need to get on with it after being stuck in the same place for the past 20 mins.

EDIT: Nevermind, thanks anyway. I ended up walking in a crouch down the last part of the tunnel & made it to the ledge overlooking the canyon (but still got nailed almost to-death by that blasted boulder). Thankfully I had two healing potions so I'm now good to go. Imo, this is more reminiscent of Lara Croft than Indiana Jones and yes; I'm still enjoying myself tremendously.
    Last edited by Dia; 11th Nov 2007 at 12:33.

Looks like I was editing my post as you were replying. I didn't know that there was a boulder bearing down on me from behind. As I said in my edit above, this time I made it by doing as you just suggested. Thanks for your quick response, though.

I seriously hope it's not the constructive criticism that makes you want to quit creating FMs, Quirk. I think you have a real talent and should continue to author more in the future! I really am enjoying your FM very much.

Last Edit: Whew!!! Finished this one just by the skin of my teeth! That last part was especially hairy, Quirk (yep! felt just like Lara in the first movie when she was dodging all the falling rocks. Found I could avoid them altogether if I stuck to the outside wall, then when I reached the doorway I walked out on the pointy part of the broken walkway and then jumped over to the next doorway. I kept falling down & dying whenever I tried to jump from the doorway itself. )! Completed in 1hr. 38mins. and enjoyed every single minute ('kay, well not the haunts, so much, but at least I didn't have to fight them). Thanks for your effort and hard work (and to all who contributed, naturally). Very much appreciated. Really would like to see you create another one, (sans haunts, of course).
    Last edited by Dia; 11th Nov 2007 at 13:12.

I wasn't going to mention 'her' - she irritates me. I kept getting killed at that point too Dia. I kept trying to trigger the trap by chucking boulders down! In the end I managed to trigger it by sticking my head forward and jumping back. Didn't occur to me to try and outrun it!!

I thought this was a beautiful fm. I loved being able to walk around and explore and enjoy the scenery in the town and clamber over the rooftops without hassle though there was one noble who kept screaming at me when I nicked his purse however much in shadow I was. There was another fm I played not so long ago which also had a lovely Mediterranean feel to it.

The steps were tricky but the other things, like people getting stuck, just made me laugh and is also very handy for bjing if you want to. There was one tower where the guard kept falling off the top bit and calmly walking back up the stairs. After he spotted me I reloaded and I then realised he'd strayed from his proper patrol route which was upstairs only. I like things like that. Its 'Quirky' !

So are you a reincarnated Spoonman, Quirk?

Quote Originally Posted by nickie View Post
    Just can't get past the ledge with the crate, I keep getting stuck on the edge of next one. Technique tips gratefully received.
    For anyone else who gets stuck here (as I did the first four times I tried); I just put the crate as close to the edge of the ledge as possible, climbed up on the crate and then jumped over to the next ledge. Worked the first time like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by shadows View Post
    Is there anyway to get the stranded soldier's sword and find your way back up to the ladder?
    I was kind of wondering the same thing. The first time I accidentally fell onto the ledge below the ledge with the ladder I found the cave with the stranded soldier, but couldn't find a way back up to the ledge with the ladder. Anybody know if there's a way to do so?

I haven't read that thread since getting my internet back. Must have a look-see. And I think different things happen for different players. I tried to do what Dia did at least 20 times without any luck. And no, IMO you haven't failed at all - far from it, it was great fun. And I will definitely put it in my 'to replay' folder and get that purse from that pesky noble somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by shadows View Post
    Yeah in some places you start getting the 'end of the world' view. I just stared at the ground and didn't look up too high. The readme didn't mention any of this though, :

Uhhh..yes it does. "Clipping problems in certain areas I could not solve."

The only trouble I had was jumping the ledges in the canyon, but I found a cheat through sort of. Everytime I jumped from the box ledge, I got caught on the edge of the other. I just moved around the edge to other side and was able to jump to the ladder ledge, and then back too the second one. I was unstuck, and just jumped back the the ladder ledge and climbed up.

I tried the box jump but it did not work for me. Great level over all, definitely going in my replay folder.

Sting )

I guess on balance this FM was enjoyable but the miriad errors and mistakes really pushed my patience to the limit. I can accept that the author couldn't solve the clipping issues (Dromed has always had complexity issues; though having said that I can't think of any other FM that has been released in this state) but what about the other easily correctable errors. Stairs you can't climb, objects not resized, doors obscured by large black squares, AI that can't hear you running across noisy sand and stones. I could go on and on and on .....

FMs where I have to resort to circling kills or KOs soon start to pall.

Why was this not beta tested??????????

It must have taken ages to build!!!!

Rant over.
    Last edited by The_Dude; 11th Nov 2007 at 17:47. Reason: Ranting leads to a lack of coherence.

Excuse me for butting in here but as a trying-to-learn Dromeditor I'm really interested in the differences we all seem to be having in playing this. Stingm had the same jumping problem I had and resolved it in the same way I did (wahay, I'm not alone!). I couldn't do what Dia did. But I noticed no difficulties with the sound - AI heard and saw me, are you talking about the mines The_Dude or somewhere else, 'cos one little **** chased down a level after me having seen me knock someone out and they all heard me if I made a noise? I didn't see any black squares on doors and I didn't notice anything about objects that might need resizing.

I'm just wondering what it is that might be reponisible for these differences of experience. Sorry, perhaps this is a question for the Editor's Guild maybe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast