TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Difficulty: Whatīs your preference ?

Difficulty: Whatīs your preference ?

When you play a game you...

- Like it to be easy, you just whant to pass some time without frustation and see the storyline unfold.

- Like it to be just a little challenging so that itīs not a walk on the park but itīs also not a pain.

- Like it hard. You like to test your limits and the frustating game overs are just a bait to try harder.

I personally like a bit of a challenge (normal). But sometimes when I meet a ridiculous boss (Zervan from Prince of Persia - The Two Thrones) then I just resort to cheats, because I play games to entertain, not to frustate.
    Last edited by Gambit; 22nd Jan 2008 at 09:51. Reason: Lot of jokes...

Mister Science
    I like shooters normal/semi-hard difficulty, I should be able to manage, Halo's heroic difficulty is about perfect for me. Rpg's can't be hard enough imho.

As difficult as possible without making me repeat a segment 20 times.

I'm pretty good at shooters, so hard. RPGs, hard. I'm gimpy at RTS's so I play those on normal.

You might wanna change the thread title to "Difficulty: What's your preference?". It's kinda juvenile, I know, but now it just sounds wrong.

As for the question, I like a challenge, but also get frustrated easily. Long battles with no end in sight annoy me, and I think that constant quicksaving and loading breaks immersion. The Strider battle at the end of Episode Two comes to mind (I hate those fucking hunters ), even though it was actually pretty cool.

Chakat sex pillow
    I like it hard. Completely hard. Easier to put the rubber on for teh buttsehcks that way.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. But yeah, as Troutpack said, that thread title needs an edit. Maybe you could make it a poll, even?)

Recently, I've started to prefer realitively easy games. I have enough stress in my life as it is, so my gaming has decreased in quantity and become more of a way to de-stress.

That said, I do need games where there is some element of tactical playing. I shouldn't be able to just charge into a situation where I am badly outgunned and survive.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Hier View Post
    As difficult as possible without making me repeat a segment 20 times.
    This. I played CoD4 on regular and I still got my ass handed to me at the end of Prypiat.

However, last week I was finally able to conquer United Offensive on Regular! Christ it's hard.

Quote Originally Posted by CCCToad View Post
    Recently, I've started to prefer realitively easy games. I have enough stress in my life as it is, so my gaming has decreased in quantity and become more of a way to de-stress.
    Same. I play games to relax, not to get stressed out and hyperventilate.

I do enjoy a challenge, but I don't have room in my life for things that annoy or frustrate me. I especially do not have time for games where the controls provide (one of) the challenge(s).

I don't prefer the tear-your-hair out hard, but difficult enough to make it a challenge and a continual interest (for FPS's).

RPGs as everyone else said can't ever be too hard since you're always progressing and lowering the difficulty, but the rate at which that changes shouldn't be so slow that the RPG is nothing but a grind.

Chakat sex pillow
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    This. I played CoD4 on regular and I still got my ass handed to me at the end of Prypiat.
    I played it on the same difficulty and I didn't think it was that hard, died maybe three or four times. I guess it depends on where you position yourself for the final assault. I loved how desperate it was, so I guess even if I had died 20 times doing that bit, I wouldn't have minded.

That entire level just made me want to boot up Stalker and play it, like, almost immediately. And that's not even the best level in CoD4.

No, the best level is the stage where you're mostly in a helicopter just before the end of act one.

I was able to resist reinstalling Stalker ONLY because I'm waiting on Clear Sky.

The Architect
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    I like it hard. Completely hard. Easier to put the rubber on for teh buttsehcks that way.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. But yeah, as Troutpack said, that thread title needs an edit. Maybe you could make it a poll, even?)
    No, I want to see how many of you are silly enough to take the bait.

Chakat sex pillow

Oh, come now. You wouldn't expect anyone else to get off over something like that again. Unless it was really good the second time.

Yeah, I forget. This is TTLG.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 21st Jan 2008 at 15:21. Reason: preposition! whatever- it's tired, I'm late.

I played CoD4 on regular and I still got my ass handed to me at the end of Prypiat.
    COD4 was way too inconsistent with the difficulty. On regular most of the game was a breeze punctuated by segments of insane difficulty that I had to repeat well over a dozen times. Never all at once; I don't have the patience for that so I would quit the game and try again on another day.

This is one of those invisible, hard-to-define areas where Valve is so damn good. Half-Life 2 had consistent difficulty throughout, with it being a challenge yet never frustratingly so. Had IW done more play-testing with COD4 I think they'd have been able to iron it out.

However, last week I was finally able to conquer United Offensive on Regular! Christ it's hard.
    Christ is right. I've only played through UO on whatever the easiest difficulty is, and while most of it was a cakewalk, that house-defense mission was a quicksave/quickload fest.

The first time I played through, totally. It's much easier on subsequent playthroughs though, even on regular.

Every time I play the Russian finale, however, it has me weaving a tapestry of profanity that will probably hang over the Ohio river for years to come. Particularly 3 key moments: covering the engineers with the sniper rifle, getting through that last ruined building after shooting down the planes (fucking Germans on the upper floor are almost impossible to kill) and the trainyard fight.

Ģ10 note
    I usually play one up from 'Nightmare!' (or its equivalent) for a first run through. Too many games are pathetically easy these days, even on the so called hard mode. Valve is probably the worst culprit for this, would it really be that much more effort for the devs to put in a harder setting? Even something as basic as making the enemies do 50-100% more damage would suffice.

Games that force you play through on normal before you can play hard really piss me off too. The most enjoyment you get out of a game is pretty much always going to be the first run-though, so why punish better players by forcing them to play on a skill level which isn't in the slightest bit challenging and thus not nearly as fun as it could be. It's just a cheap way of adding 'replayability' to a game.

I find many shooters too easy on Normal, but the problem is that it's hard to know how hard 'Hard' is going to be before you start playing. To use some ye olde games as example, Hard on Half-Life 1 or Unreal 1 is still pretty easy, but on Serious Sam it's really hard, I cannot finish The Second Encounter on Hard. And the final room of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (when you get outside and have to wait for the train to arrive) on Hard, well, that's just impossible, there's a guide on the internet on how to beat it but I probably couldn't do it even with the guide.

El Shagmeister

I like a good challenge that does not exactly turn into a Frustration Fest (i.e. difficult for difficulty's sake) and gives me incentive to play it at the hardest levels (i.e. extra objectives worth the time and effort, ala Thief; more agressive and "smart" AI, not exactly having perfect sniping abilities, but simply more creative and challenging overall; extra bonus content for the time and effort dedicated in the harder settings, etc.)

Overall, the fine balance between challenge = fun and frustration = not fun. Not an easy thing.

Two games that come to mind that have done pretty good on the difficulty scale and rewards players (during/after the game session): Thief and Halo: Combat Evolved come to mind. The first one adding some extra guards, more objectives that most of the time were fun and worth your time (c'mon, who -didn't- love the Bonehoard in Expert difficulty with all the extra objectives/traps/rooms? ). The second one making a pretty decent AI (haters, shut the fuck up and save the hating for a Halo thread, please) more challenging and agressive (yes, the AI fired faster, took more bullets to kill and killed you with less, but, IMHO, it never seemed greatly unbalanced, unlike Halo 2's legendary....geez...) that made a real challenge in many situations where you couldn't just run and gun aimlessly.

Ah, great games...

The last game I played which used cheap tactics, IMHO, in the difficulty was Call of Duty 4, I played it without little true grumbling until the last two levels, where I decided it was more an excercise in frustration than enjoyment, so I humbled the difficulty to normal and had a jolly time, but I may decide to finish'em off in veteran one of these days. I mean, I finished the other 95% of the game in vet, so lets do the final 5% too.

For me, it's too hard if:

-I play the same level 4+ times without success.

Or,

-I play two or three levels in a row two or three times each to beat them.

For me, it's too easy if I go two levels without losing at all.

That's my simple gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutpack View Post
    You might wanna change the thread title ... it just sounds wrong.
    It would sound perfectly right in a gays forum.

My idea of perfect difficulty is Gears of War. On your first runthrough, it's no cakewalk even on easy. Then when you finish, you start a new game on medium and everything is suddenly challenging again (though rarely frustrating). By the time you finish that, you're prepared for Hard mode, which is quite challenging (though the final boss is stupidly hard without using exploits).

Elite Beat Agents is another game with excellent difficulty. It's tough as nails, but rather than frustrate you, it inspires you to practice and get better.

The one thing I can't stand is playing a section over and over - unless the fun of the game lies purely in the gameplay itself (ie, Gears of War, EBA). That's why I'd never play a game like Half Life on anything higher than normal.

One moment while I move clear of that rapier-sharp wit. (Ah, Aja has stepped in to create some distance. Much appreciated.)

I prefer my porridge "just right". I should feel like I'm being challenged, and I should get punished for being too confident, and the game should have some consistency so that the challenge remains suitable throughout. A learning curve is fine; a sheer cliff very much less so. Immensely-hard bosses -- and unexpectedly brutal levels in general -- annoy me, unless I feel that the game has prepared me for them.

Frustration (or the lack thereof) is indeed the key.

I also made the mistake of choosing "Hard" in Serious Sam because that's the name of the setting I used in other shooters. I completed the game, but lots of the latter half of the game was frustrating for me.

I like it when a game lets you change difficulty at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja
    The one thing I can't stand is playing a section over and over - unless the fun of the game lies purely in the gameplay itself
    Very much agreed. "Trackmania" is a good example of this for me -- I try to attain the gold medals, which usually entails a lot of failure, but the act of trying is sufficiently fun that I'd rather stick at it then settle for silver or bronze. That's partly down to the structure of the game of course.

And of course, repetition is far more palatable if you feel that your success will not require a large chunk of luck. A couple of the missions in (the generally-brilliant) "Vietcong" drove me nuts for that reason. I felt I was just re-playing the mission over and over until pure chance led to my survival.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 21st Jan 2008 at 20:30.

The first time I played through, totally. It's much easier on subsequent playthroughs though, even on regular.

Every time I play the Russian finale, however, it has me weaving a tapestry of profanity that will probably hang over the Ohio river for years to come. Particularly 3 key moments: covering the engineers with the sniper rifle, getting through that last ruined building after shooting down the planes (fucking Germans on the upper floor are almost impossible to kill) and the trainyard fight.
    This is true. I managed to finish this on the hardest difficulty (whatever it's called), but since I'd finished CoD just beforehand, UO wasn't so bad. Also, yes, the final Russian mission is INSANE. Especially the trainyard, where if you so much as poke your head out of cover, you get shot at because the AI seem to believe that "If that guy over there dies, war's over." Or maybe there's a target on my forehead and I don't know it.

So I guess difficulty for me can be frustrating, but only if I've played the game through on an easier difficulty first. I like to enjoy a game before trying to accomplish what seems impossible.

Mister Science
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    Elite Beat Agents is another game with excellent difficulty. It's tough as nails, but rather t. han frustrate you, it inspires you to practice and get better.
    I think it's way too hard but it cannot be praised enough anyway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast