TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Gunfire question

Gunfire question

One thing I hate is when a shooter has the gunfire sound like it is outdoors even when it is fired indoors and vise versa. Anyone know of a game that alters its gunfire sounds according to the environment?

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

An EAX enabled game. EAX4.0 games especially.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 24th Jan 2008 at 08:55.

My desktop has a Soundblaster w/EAX 3.0 and I have a simple on-board soundcard in my laptop.
    So, any games w/out EAX (as I do the CAST majority of my PC gaming w/my Acer laptop) or at the very least 3.0 or less?

Mister Science
    Operation Flaspoint if I remember correctly.

Taking a break
    Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    An EAX enabled game. EAX4.0 games especially.
    Hah, Duke Nukem did it back in 96.

Well, in some places at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Operation Flaspoint if I remember correctly.
    Cool. I have been looking around for a nice, cheap copy. Possibly XBOX version as well, if it's good on PC. How satisfying are the weapons to fire?

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Source engine games have a really nice proprietary software-based environmental audio system, Soundscapes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koki View Post
    Hah, Duke Nukem did it back in 96.

Well, in some places at least.
    Where did I ever say that EAX was the ONLY method to implement SFX affected by environmental changes? I was providing gunsmoke with AN answer, not THE answer.

Mister Science
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
    Cool. I have been looking around for a nice, cheap copy. Possibly XBOX version as well, if it's good on PC. How satisfying are the weapons to fire?
    Very, it's the closest a game ever gotten to being realistic, it really feels as if you are holding one. And it has a great editor, you can adjust time, weather, all real move in realtime. A few scenario's will scare the crap out of you doesn't get anymore tense. Xbobx version is supposed to be even better, but never saw it though.

Most media portrays the sound of firearms poorly and often too quietly--no need to blow your eardrums out, but oftentimes it sounds more like a toy than a powerful weapon. As someone who has put many a round through various different weapons, I can speak from experience and say they all have a very distinctive sound.

I really hate it when movies, games and the like use the "generic stock 9mm/shotgun/smg report" that seems to be ubiquitous and everywhere. It's not terribly hard to go out and record your own gun sounds!

Not to mention the "generic slide racking sound" that's used and overused. I swear some media characters cycle their weapon every time a bad guy shows up.

Oh yeah and automatics running out of ammo, the slide not locking back, and the gun clicking repeatedly as they pull the trigger in disbelief.