TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Deus Ex 3 confirmed

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Eyes View Post
    Can anyone think of any sequels that turned out really good that were developed by a new team that had no relationship at all to the people that made the original game?
    Ummm...

Ms. Pac-Man?

Fallout 3

Maybe I should get down in Montreal to see this first-hand. But surely there's at least one taffer that's already living in Montreal?

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Eyes View Post
    Can anyone think of any sequels that turned out really good that were developed by a new team that had no relationship at all to the people that made the original game?
    Tron 2.0?

Level 10,000 achieved

RE: Good sequels by new teams

MDK2
    Midtown Madness 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mingan View Post
    But surely there's at least one taffer that's already living in Montreal?
    I do. What is the address of their office?

D'Astous explained: "We did our research to find out what worked well, what people enjoyed about it - especially the first game. The second was a success in the eyes of some, but had some ups and downs, so we've tried to identify what worked well in that game.
    So what worked well in the second game?

BANNED
    For me, it was extremely fun just dicking around.

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    Bot Domination.

The Eye Menu of course, it's what screamed "console port" the least.

might get flamed here, but i like the cataclysm idea that made all of the deus ex endings true in a way. It made it feels like you were playing further down the story of deus ex, instead of just tacking something els on after a finished story...

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    I have almost totally forgotten everything from the second game. It was that good. I don't even think I completed it, but I can't be sure one way or the other...

Quote Originally Posted by HybridVision View Post
    I have almost totally forgotten everything from the second game. It was that good. I don't even think I completed it, but I can't be sure one way or the other...
    One of the few memories that springs to mind is one where I approached an area with the intent of speaking to an NPC but was not able to as a result of accidentally bumping a flaming barrel into her, which resulted in her catching on fire as she ran around the room screaming, bumping into other NPCs and objects only to set them on fire as well. This essentially killed off any side missions for that area. I think they called that emergent gameplay back then didn't they? That was the buzzword around that time, long before the FPS 2 term was ever inflicted on the public.
    Last edited by twisty; 1st Dec 2007 at 21:44.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    I've never even heard the term FPS 2.

BANNED
    I think it is Shooter 2.0, actually.

*googles*

Oh. Irrational. That explains a fucking lot.

Seriously, as I go back and read some of their interviews, they have this very pretentious attitude for what the final product ended up being. Especially this whole "shooter 2.0" business- Bioshock isn't the "next generation" of shooters, it's basically a dumbed down System Shock 2 with way less stability or charm.

No, as far as I'm concerned, games like Stalker are the next generation of shooters. Sure, the story is a bit sparse and cliched, and sure the game wasn't what we all expected it to be, but at the end of the day it still manages to do something very different, very new compared to what we're all used to.

Isn't Stalker just The Elder Scrolls with guns? Additionally wasn't it one of those games that talked big during its bloated dev cycle and shipped with half of its features intact with bugs replacing the rest?

Not saying Stalker is a bad game but it seems to be an odd thing to compare with Bioshock seeing as they are both fraught with crippling issues.

As for emergent gameplay, nowadays that just seems to be fancy talk for "NPCs can now break the game without you". I don't think the industry possesses the genius it will take to intentionally make this kind of gameplay good.

Good point. We're more inclined to let poor Ukranians off the hook you see
    But, no; there is a sense for me, rational or not, that Bioshock could have done the things it set out to do and lived up to its forebears at the same time. For one reason or another they chose not to do it; some of it was technical (free roaming little sisters for instance) but a lot of it I still blame on fear.
    Stalker was proclaiming it wanted to do things that had never been done before. If you've been around a while you know that's not going to happen, but you want to see how close they can get.
    Most everything Bioshock wanted to do had already been done before, except for a few things. And when those didn't work out they scaled it back even further. (I don't really want to turn this into an argument about Bioshock b...oh darn)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    You should look up which political party most of the videogame censorship contingent resides in, and then try posting again.
    Confederates... oops I mean Republicans don't own computers. And it was obvious he meant censorship for political purposes, not because of sex or violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
    Isn't Stalker just The Elder Scrolls with guns?
    Not particularly. Stalker's actually fun.

TES3/4 are much more open-ended, of course, but lack a certain quality. Stalker is an unpolished gem. TES3/4 are very polished rhinestones.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Not particularly. Stalker's actually fun.

TES3/4 are much more open-ended, of course, but lack a certain quality. Stalker is an unpolished gem. TES3/4 are very polished rhinestones.
    Let me get this straight.

TES lacks a certain vague quality which may be good or may be bad, the true meaning of is locked away in that magical treasure vault you call a brainpan.

Furthermore Stalker and TES can be differentiated by a craptacular metaphor which you didn't even bother to explain because I'm supposed to ruminate and then decypher it like some Chinese riddle as if it had a meaning beyond "DUR HUR STALKER IS ARBITRARILY BETTAR"

So basically the only point you're trying to prove is that you're a pretentious imbecile who believes his approval is a major selling point of a game?

Well color me convinced!

wow, take a chill pill dude...

cry more emokid

...I'm sorry, did I do it right? I'm unused to using trite pop-culture phrases irrelevantly.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
    Let me get this straight.

TES lacks a certain vague quality which may be good or may be bad, the true meaning of is locked away in that magical treasure vault you call a brainpan.

Furthermore Stalker and TES can be differentiated by a craptacular metaphor which you didn't even bother to explain because I'm supposed to ruminate and then decypher it like some Chinese riddle as if it had a meaning beyond "DUR HUR STALKER IS ARBITRARILY BETTAR"

So basically the only point you're trying to prove is that you're a pretentious imbecile who believes his approval is a major selling point of a game?

Well color me convinced!
    I understood his point precisely. Don't get mad at dethtoll just because you failed to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DX-455 View Post
    I understood his point precisely.
    No you didn't, and I'm not going to provide any reasons why I know you didn't because this is an unsupported-statement-fight and BY GOD I ALWAYS PLAY BY THE RULES.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 ... LastLast