TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Deus Ex 3 confirmed

I'm also replaying it, and it's okay. What I mind most is the blockiness of the level design, which feels worse than Deus Ex because the levels are so small; the vastly reduced skill/biomod system (it's not so much a question of dumbing down as of making it less enjoyable - in this case, more complex=more fun); and it's just one small thing, but I really hate the shiny specular map on objects that shouldn't be shiny... or will everyone laminate their wooden doors in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by pdenton View Post
    I play DX2 from time to time simply for nostalgia's sake. It's a good time if you just play it as a shooter; screw the sneaking and what not. It's a dumb-fun shooter.
    Interesting. I get little to no satisfaction playing IW that way. None of the augs are all that great for straight run-n-gun (well, some of the drones are pretty good in the right situation). I prefer to set artificial limitations for myself and make heavy use of the augs, mines, and 'nades.

Quote Originally Posted by twisty View Post
    I'm actually re-playing DXIW for the first time since it was released. It's a decent game alright, particularly if you don't compare it to the first instalment.
    That's the only way to play, and that's how I finished it the first time.

I tried to replay it a few months ago, couldn't do it.

I always enjoyed the Hacker/Technician style of play in DX:IW ... and variations on the hacker theme ... I think I've completed the game 4 or 5 times playing as something pretty close to a hacker.

Personally, I think playing DX:IW as a straightforward shooter is even less satisfying then playing DX as a straightforward shooter.

I disagree. To me, playing the original DX as a straight-up-shooter is utter rubbish, precisely because of this:

Quote Originally Posted by that
    other thread

Well they were all patrolling or standing still.
    Hmmm. So far ok.
    When you made a noise, they came up running.
    Not bad.
    When you hurt them enough, they ran away.
    Ok.
    You run after them and beat them to death with a baton.
    So comical.
    Other playing styles more than make up for it, of course, but for a game that claims to allow for various approaches to any given situation the shooter approach was severely underdeveloped. That, at least is where DX:IW improved on the original, imo (although lots of the weapons still seem to lack any punch, the shotgun in particular).

is Best Pony
    Just something randomly printed at the bottom of the Rock Paper Shotgun webpages that amused me:

Amount of people who've suddenly decided they hate Bioshock: 773179

Odds of Deus Ex fanboys loving Deus Ex 3: 0.225%

Interview with Warren Spector that touches on some DX3 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by The Specs
    I haven't talked to people at Eidos Montreal, but I've talked to people inside Eidos about the Deus Ex 3 project. And... you know? It's hard for me to not be a part of it. I can't be, because of my employment situation. But their intentions are good. We'll just have to see. I'm concerned only because... for Invisible War, for all its successes and all the risks it took, it just proved how delicate the Deus Ex game style is. And so people who haven't worked on it... they'll bring something new to it, which is good, but will they understand what made it work? I don't know.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Oh like he's one to talk. I don't think he understood what made DX work either.

Different people loved Deus Ex for different reasons, and a lot of people thought Deus Ex was not a good game. Saying Deus Ex "worked", is simplistic.

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    GenDisc isn't quite a 4chan outpost yet.
    *silently thanks GOD*

I think DX was somewhat a product of its time, part of that golden age of narrative-driven FPSs, just when the technology got good enough to have a credible world to walk around in, and you could still have readables and open gameplay all over the place. It's not that they couldn't do that now; it's just a different time and the spirit of the thing has moved on. That's the feeling I get, anyway.

Good points, and as far as IW goes...I thought it excelled as a stealth/shoter hybrid (as far as styles go, not games in general), and was unsatisfying as a straight shooter.

IW isn't nearly as bad as everyone seems to think. It's just that when comparing it to the original, it falls flat. It's not so much the gameplay itself, it's the small levels, and that consolized feeling. You have to keep in mind that IIRC, it was one of the first games developed for both the Xbox and the PC simultaneously and PC gamers got the short end of the stick.

But although it doesn't have the quality or depth of the original, I still find it a good game in a fun kind of way. Maxing the jump biomod gives you access to some places you‘d never get to. I found the spy drone a ton of fun as well. There’s the opportunity to assassinate someone that is totally optional, and in some respects you are given more freedom than the original in terms of who you side with. No, it doesn't matter in the end, but neither did the original.

As for the story, no, it doesn’t include a fuzzy feel good ending, but what it does do is force the player to make a decision as to just how crappy the world may end up in the context of the story. Not exactly deep stuff but better than the cookie cutter save the world or win the war theme which are in most games.

I can understand why many people were disappointed with the game compared to the original, (I was myself), but on it’s own, a pretty solid game. The way I look at it, should I play a game that gives me options as to how I want to play it, (SS2, original DE, VTM Bloodlines, Christ even a game like Rogue Trooper), or a game that forces me to play in a certain style, ( HL2, all the COD games, Doom 3 etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
    The way I look at it, should I play a game that gives me options as to how I want to play it, (SS2, original DE, VTM Bloodlines, Christ even a game like Rogue Trooper), or a game that forces me to play in a certain style, ( HL2, all the COD games, Doom 3 etc)?
    Are you saying HL2 is inferior to IW because it doesn't have RPG elements? I'm sure you're not, but that's how it comes across

He's just saying that you don't have much other choice than mowing down everything that moves in HL2, whereas you can sneak by enemies in IW.

Quote Originally Posted by Papy View Post
    Different people loved Deus Ex for different reasons, and a lot of people thought Deus Ex was not a good game. Saying Deus Ex "worked", is simplistic.
    ...Which is exactly why Spector's comment is evasive and silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mingan View Post
    He's just saying that you don't have much other choice than mowing down everything that moves in HL2, whereas you can sneak by enemies in IW.
    Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. I played HL2 once. Tried to get through it a second time, and just couldn't do it. Got to Ravenholm, (one of the best levels in any game btw), but lost interest after that. It's very good at what it does, the best in the business actually with a great scalable engine, however maybe because I'm getting jaded and old, sick of the same old thing in every FPS.

I've played IW several times using different strategys and while it doesn't change the story, it does change the gameplay.

I've been waiting for a long time for this official announcement. Thank God. Quite frankly, I'd rather have someone take a whack at making DX3 rather than letting the franchise rot. Sure, there's a good chance that the game will turn out to be utter shit, but it's not like that will make DX1 any less of a masterpiece for me, and there's also that minute chance that this newest installment will be something great. Hey, sure, I'd also love to see an all new DX-type game, with a new setting and everything, but that's not really the subject of this thread.

And since we're touching on the old IW subject... It was a good game, in my opinion. It was also the biggest disappointment in my gaming career, but a good game nonetheless. I remember that I first played it for half an hour, then threw the CD on a shelf, where it stayed for two months, but after I got over my frustration of not having gotten more of the exact same (i.e. DX1), I picked it up again and found it to be a very enjoyable experience, a very nice game. Thinking of playing it for a third time soon.

Regardless of how good DX3 will be, however, you can be damn sure that it will stir up a shitstorm on these forums, between those who like it and those who don't. Good times ahead, boys.

And on a different note...
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsmoke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll
    GenDisc isn't quite a 4chan outpost yet.
    *silently thanks GOD*
    You guys think there's any chance DX3 gets Little Sisters?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
    As for the story, no, it doesn’t include a fuzzy feel good ending, but what it does do is force the player to make a decision as to just how crappy the world may end up in the context of the story.
    Umm, yeah, that's exactly why so many people hate it.

The endings were just Harvey Smith trying to be all "fucking subversive" in his usual ham-handed way.

I thought the endings worked quite nicely, really. The arbitrary Templar one was pretty stupid (someone mentioned the ending cinematic should have shown the player being hung, which was a great idea.) Just a shame about the rest of the plot. And characters.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Cobra, please use spoiler tags.

Gah, sorry, my bad. I didn't think it really counted as a spoiler; shows what I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    Just a shame about the rest of the plot. And characters.
    That is in fact the main gripe that I have with DXIW. I really wasn't all that bothered by most of the other things that people were complaining about, but I never warmed to any of the characters, or found them very interesting either.

All of the endings sucked.

You can't build a sequel worth a damn based off of any of them. They're all so absolutist. Compare to them the original endings are way more fun and speak to a volume of different possibilities. In particular I loved the dark age ending, it'd be like Fallout without the desert/dead environment, people would live in camps and shelters with 1. traces of modern technology that survived and 2. the knowledge to operate them are in short supply. There'd be regression to tribalism in some parts and high tech in others, new religions would arise as a result, etc. etc. The gameplay would be totally varied.
    Last edited by Jashin; 21st Dec 2007 at 18:16.

Wait, so the endings sucked because they actually ended the game? Fancy that.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast