TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast
Results 326 to 350 of 367

Thread: Deus Ex 3 confirmed

  1. #326
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2004
    Wait, so the endings sucked because they actually ended the game? Fancy that.

  2. #327
    ZylonBane
    Registered: Sep 2000
    Location: ZylonBane
    They suck because they "end" the entire fate of humanity.

    Rather constricting, that.

  3. #328
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2006
    Location: England
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    They suck because they "end" the entire fate of humanity.

    Rather constricting, that.
    Not really, 2/4 are no more "final" than the original endings. AposleCorp and the Templars do not seal the fate of humanity.

    At any rate, it's stupid to judge an ending based on how well you can build a sequel off of it (especially when making a sequel based of multiple endings is impossible without some prat complaining anyway). Especially when they're far more final because most people prefer endings that aren't completely open.

  4. #329
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    They suck because they "end" the entire fate of humanity.

    Rather constricting, that.
    God forbid a story resolving itself by the end.

    Also, the only "constricting" ending is really the Omar one; all the other leave a lot of possibilities.

  5. #330
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2004
    I'm flabbergasted!

    There's actually other people who enjoyed the game?

    My my, will wonders ever cease around here?

  6. #331
    Personally, I thought the endings sucked because they weren't very interesting and none of them remotely reflected any sort "choice" that I really wanted to make about how things were resolved. It was basically "well, gotta end the game somehow, I guess I'll see how this turns out" rather than "hey, I've experienced something really interesting and I want to end it the right way". Not necessarily right as in one ending is correct and others are wrong of course, but just what I personally felt concluded the story the best. All the endings in Deus Ex seemed viable in that regard to a certain extent for me, whereas in IW none of them seemed at all viable.

  7. #332
    Member
    Registered: Oct 2004
    michaelg : I'm from the people who criticize Invisible War a lot, but the truth is, even with all its flaws, I did somewhat enjoyed it. It won't be on my top 10 list, I won't replay it (I tried several times, but I always quit at Cairo), but I did finish it. To put things in perspective, I'd say it was a much better game than Oblivion.

    I saw Invisible War for $9.99 not long ago, and I think for that price it would be a good buy.

  8. #333
    ZylonBane
    Registered: Sep 2000
    Location: ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    God forbid a story resolving itself by the end.
    Do you even realize that you're just repeating yourself? Are you accessing this thread in write-only mode?

  9. #334
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2000
    Location: sup
    Quote Originally Posted by Papy View Post
    I won't replay it (I tried several times, but I always quit at Cairo)
    Interesting, as that's twice my playthroughs have ground to a halt in Cairo. Utterly uninspired level design. I doubt I'll ever finish it at this rate.

  10. #335
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Not really, 2/4 are no more "final" than the original endings. AposleCorp and the Templars do not seal the fate of humanity.

    At any rate, it's stupid to judge an ending based on how well you can build a sequel off of it (especially when making a sequel based of multiple endings is impossible without some prat complaining anyway). Especially when they're far more final because most people prefer endings that aren't completely open.
    Aren't completely open? IW's are completely closed.

    The JCD's unified consciousness ending totally sealed it, as well as the templar's fanatic zealotry ending (who seemed to have gone on an inquisition-type killing spree). The only one you can make a case for is the Illuminati's totalitarian future ending, where it's possible for some semblance of a highly technological society. And even then it wouldn't be very interesting, or very Deus Ex.
    Last edited by Jashin; 22nd Dec 2007 at 18:52.

  11. #336
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Do you even realize that you're just repeating yourself? Are you accessing this thread in write-only mode?
    Maybe I wouldn't have to if your argument wasn't horrendously flawed

  12. #337
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2007
    Location: Finger paintings of the insane
    I just thought IW's endings were depressing as hell. After all that work (getting through the whole game)you are 'rewarded' w/doom and gloom.

  13. #338
    Moderator
    Registered: Sep 2000
    Location: Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Interesting, as that's twice my playthroughs have ground to a halt in Cairo. Utterly uninspired level design. I doubt I'll ever finish it at this rate.
    Ha. Strangely enough, my progress through a replay of IW has halted at that point as well.

  14. #339
    Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Registered: Aug 2004
    Location: someplace better than this
    You know, if DX3 is a prequel like I'm hoping (first of all it would let me ignore IW, which is a piss-poor game even on its own) then I hope it covers stuff like the Northwest War. It'd be neat to see the rise of the NSF.

  15. #340
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2006
    Location: Room 641A
    Some of the stills in the trailer that they released showed signs out side shops saying thinks like “augmented people not welcome” that would infer that it is set after deus ex as augmentation is not mainstream until after dues ex 1. + I think that it is difficult to make a prequel which still has depth of story and decent plot twists. It would be much more difficult to have a complete and exciting story as a prequel in a game where working out the full politics of the plot is half of the fun, imho.

  16. #341
    Member
    Registered: Sep 2004
    Location: Maritime Provinces (Canada)
    In the original Deus Ex, nano-augmentation wasn't mainstream because the agents had to be engineered without the H type epsilon sequence from the proper donors, at least that was my understanding of it. Mechanical augmentations were old news, but mostly used for UNATCO purposes. By the sounds of it, the only people who were willing to be augmented were UNATCO operatives. That doesn't mean that the technology wasn't available.

  17. #342
    Mech is possible, if you paid attention the first DX.

    Several datacubes reference the widespread suspicion and descrimination faced by mechanically augmented agents.

  18. #343
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2006
    Location: Room 641A
    i was under the impression that the plight of Anna Navarre and Gunther Hermann were one in a million. With only you and paul as nano augs and very few other unatco operatives meched up augs would not be mainstream at all.
    Those report would be all the more relevant, imagine someone with a cybernetic eye walking into your local costa...

  19. #344
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2003
    Location: Poland
    Deus Ex Bible on mechanical augs:

    Work on nano-technology began in the early 2020's, and the Majestic 12 scientists assigned to the project (including Bob Page) had their work cut out for them. Mechanical augmentations were just starting to become widespread.
    In addition to economic divisions, there are divisions among men based on augmentation. Specifically, the totally human of this world look down their noses at those who have been mechanically augmented.

    Despite the effectiveness, and in some cases, the necessity of body modification, augmented humans are considered monsters. They look like primitive Borg and are widely feared by humans.
    Mechanically augmented humans have their own airport security systems and have to register with government authorities. They are second-class citizens, looked down upon even by the non-augmented poor. There's no way a mechanically augmented human can pass for normal for very long. They're not allowed in certain locations and have separate facilities, ostensibly tailored to their unique needs but really as a way of controlling them.
    So yes, mechanical augmentation is widespread in the DX world, and it causes social problems.

  20. #345
    PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

    Registered: Aug 2007
    Location: New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristed View Post
    i was under the impression that the plight of Anna Navarre and Gunther Hermann were one in a million. With only you and paul as nano augs and very few other unatco operatives meched up augs would not be mainstream at all.
    I'd imagine that the scope/size of UNATCO is much much bigger than we saw in the game, with it being a branch of UN and all.

  21. #346
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2001
    Sounds like it may indeed be a prequel. Maybe leading right into DX1?

  22. #347
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2004
    Heck, maybe you'll play as Paul Denton. Mech op is not very likely judging from the teaser and the need for the player to be an impartial observer.

  23. #348
    Still Subjective
    Registered: Dec 1999
    Location: Idiocy will never die
    Actually I thought the prevailing opinion was that you WOULD be a mech, as the foetus which presumably is you has hardpoints that a nano-augmented agent would not need but that a mech-augmented agent would.

  24. #349
    PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

    Registered: Aug 2007
    Location: New Zealand
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    Actually I thought the prevailing opinion was that you WOULD be a mech, as the foetus which presumably is you has hardpoints that a nano-augmented agent would not need but that a mech-augmented agent would.
    I thought that mech-augmented agents were all "volunteers", so technology would be compatible with most humans, unlike nano-tech. They wouldn't need to go through the bother of having to "grow" compatible hosts.

  25. #350
    Member
    Registered: Dec 2007
    Location: Finger paintings of the insane
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    Actually I thought the prevailing opinion was that you WOULD be a mech, as the foetus which presumably is you has hardpoints that a nano-augmented agent would not need but that a mech-augmented agent would.
    My thoughts as well.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •