TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Deus Ex 3 confirmed

Wait, so the endings sucked because they actually ended the game? Fancy that.

ZylonBane
    They suck because they "end" the entire fate of humanity.

Rather constricting, that.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post

Not really, 2/4 are no more "final" than the original endings. AposleCorp and the Templars do not seal the fate of humanity.

At any rate, it's stupid to judge an ending based on how well you can build a sequel off of it (especially when making a sequel based of multiple endings is impossible without some prat complaining anyway). Especially when they're far more final because most people prefer endings that aren't completely open.

God forbid a story resolving itself by the end.

Also, the only "constricting" ending is really the Omar one; all the other leave a lot of possibilities.

I'm flabbergasted!

There's actually other people who enjoyed the game?

My my, will wonders ever cease around here?

Personally, I thought the endings sucked because they weren't very interesting and none of them remotely reflected any sort "choice" that I really wanted to make about how things were resolved. It was basically "well, gotta end the game somehow, I guess I'll see how this turns out" rather than "hey, I've experienced something really interesting and I want to end it the right way". Not necessarily right as in one ending is correct and others are wrong of course, but just what I personally felt concluded the story the best. All the endings in Deus Ex seemed viable in that regard to a certain extent for me, whereas in IW none of them seemed at all viable.

michaelg : I'm from the people who criticize Invisible War a lot, but the truth is, even with all its flaws, I did somewhat enjoyed it. It won't be on my top 10 list, I won't replay it (I tried several times, but I always quit at Cairo), but I did finish it. To put things in perspective, I'd say it was a much better game than Oblivion.

I saw Invisible War for $9.99 not long ago, and I think for that price it would be a good buy.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    God forbid a story resolving itself by the end.
    Do you even realize that you're just repeating yourself? Are you accessing this thread in write-only mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Papy View Post
    I won't replay it (I tried several times, but I always quit at Cairo)
    Interesting, as that's twice my playthroughs have ground to a halt in Cairo. Utterly uninspired level design. I doubt I'll ever finish it at this rate.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Not really, 2/4 are no more "final" than the original endings. AposleCorp and the Templars do not seal the fate of humanity.

At any rate, it's stupid to judge an ending based on how well you can build a sequel off of it (especially when making a sequel based of multiple endings is impossible without some prat complaining anyway). Especially when they're far more final because most people prefer endings that aren't completely open.
    Aren't completely open? IW's are completely closed.

The JCD's unified consciousness ending totally sealed it, as well as the templar's fanatic zealotry ending (who seemed to have gone on an inquisition-type killing spree). The only one you can make a case for is the Illuminati's totalitarian future ending, where it's possible for some semblance of a highly technological society. And even then it wouldn't be very interesting, or very Deus Ex.
    Last edited by Jashin; 22nd Dec 2007 at 18:52.

Do you even realize that you're just repeating yourself? Are you accessing this thread in write-only mode?
    Maybe I wouldn't have to if your argument wasn't horrendously flawed

I just thought IW's endings were depressing as hell. After all that work (getting through the whole game)you are 'rewarded' w/doom and gloom.

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Interesting, as that's twice my playthroughs have ground to a halt in Cairo. Utterly uninspired level design. I doubt I'll ever finish it at this rate.
    Ha. Strangely enough, my progress through a replay of IW has halted at that point as well.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    You know, if DX3 is a prequel like I'm hoping (first of all it would let me ignore IW, which is a piss-poor game even on its own) then I hope it covers stuff like the Northwest War. It'd be neat to see the rise of the NSF.

Some of the stills in the trailer that they released showed signs out side shops saying thinks like “augmented people not welcome” that would infer that it is set after deus ex as augmentation is not mainstream until after dues ex 1. + I think that it is difficult to make a prequel which still has depth of story and decent plot twists. It would be much more difficult to have a complete and exciting story as a prequel in a game where working out the full politics of the plot is half of the fun, imho.

In the original Deus Ex, nano-augmentation wasn't mainstream because the agents had to be engineered without the H type epsilon sequence from the proper donors, at least that was my understanding of it. Mechanical augmentations were old news, but mostly used for UNATCO purposes. By the sounds of it, the only people who were willing to be augmented were UNATCO operatives. That doesn't mean that the technology wasn't available.

Mech is possible, if you paid attention the first DX.

Several datacubes reference the widespread suspicion and descrimination faced by mechanically augmented agents.

i was under the impression that the plight of Anna Navarre and Gunther Hermann were one in a million. With only you and paul as nano augs and very few other unatco operatives meched up augs would not be mainstream at all.
    Those report would be all the more relevant, imagine someone with a cybernetic eye walking into your local costa...

Deus Ex Bible on mechanical augs:

Work on nano-technology began in the early 2020's, and the Majestic 12 scientists assigned to the project (including Bob Page) had their work cut out for them. Mechanical augmentations were just starting to become widespread.
    In addition to economic divisions, there are divisions among men based on augmentation. Specifically, the totally human of this world look down their noses at those who have been mechanically augmented.

Despite the effectiveness, and in some cases, the necessity of body modification, augmented humans are considered monsters. They look like primitive Borg and are widely feared by humans.
    Mechanically augmented humans have their own airport security systems and have to register with government authorities. They are second-class citizens, looked down upon even by the non-augmented poor. There's no way a mechanically augmented human can pass for normal for very long. They're not allowed in certain locations and have separate facilities, ostensibly tailored to their unique needs but really as a way of controlling them.
    So yes, mechanical augmentation is widespread in the DX world, and it causes social problems.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Aristed View Post
    i was under the impression that the plight of Anna Navarre and Gunther Hermann were one in a million. With only you and paul as nano augs and very few other unatco operatives meched up augs would not be mainstream at all.
    I'd imagine that the scope/size of UNATCO is much much bigger than we saw in the game, with it being a branch of UN and all.

Sounds like it may indeed be a prequel. Maybe leading right into DX1?

Heck, maybe you'll play as Paul Denton. Mech op is not very likely judging from the teaser and the need for the player to be an impartial observer.

Still Subjective
    Actually I thought the prevailing opinion was that you WOULD be a mech, as the foetus which presumably is you has hardpoints that a nano-augmented agent would not need but that a mech-augmented agent would.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    Actually I thought the prevailing opinion was that you WOULD be a mech, as the foetus which presumably is you has hardpoints that a nano-augmented agent would not need but that a mech-augmented agent would.
    I thought that mech-augmented agents were all "volunteers", so technology would be compatible with most humans, unlike nano-tech. They wouldn't need to go through the bother of having to "grow" compatible hosts.

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    My thoughts as well.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415 LastLast