TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Deus Ex 3 confirmed

Teaser clip can be seen here:
    http://www.eidosmontreal.com/en/games.html

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Somehow, the fact that they used music from DX1 gives me a small glimmer of hope.

That gave me a warm fuzzy feeling sure, but I was still laughing from the THIS SUMMER voice-over.

Well, I can't help but get a little excited for this game, but I'm definately not getting my hopes up. Eidos Montreal mentioned on their site they're working on reviving two successful franchises, I'm wondering what the other one is. Also, I'm really hoping DE 3 will be PC only, but it'll probably be made for consoles and ported to PC.

Sure it's nice to get another Deus Ex but I would rather have a new IP in a similar gameplay style. I don't actually want more System Shock's, Deus Ex's and Theif's just more of that immersive gaming but with new worlds, characters etc.

Yeah but where are they gonna come from?

These chumps have got A LOT to live up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Dust View Post
    Sure it's nice to get another Deus Ex but I would rather have a new IP in a similar gameplay style. I don't actually want more System Shock's, Deus Ex's and Theif's just more of that immersive gaming but with new worlds, characters etc.
    Precisely. If people had the balls to extend these Universes beyond the player characters that people are familiar with and do different things, then you could get some really innovative gaming going on.

Portal is a brilliant example of a self-contained, brilliantly constructed game type that is not really that similar to or derived from the Universe it spawned from (a physics-teleportation platform puzzler from a FPS with some goofy physics puzzles), it's got these tenuous links to that world, and the technology and aesthetics are influenced by it. But it stands alone.

Take the Thief Universe and set an RPG in it, or just a similar stealth/assassin game but without Garret and not involved in a bigger overarching good vs evil prophecy arc.
    Take TriOptimum, broaden it, turn it into a hybrid of what SS2 was with something like Freelancer, an open-ended trade-universe with elements of RPG action.
    And so on...

Quote Originally Posted by Abysmal View Post
    How could it go anywhere but up?
    Amen to that. Who cares anymore? Let them do what they want. The series is dead to me anyway. And if by some weird fluke it's actually half good it'll be a pleasant surprise. But when this hype machine starts up don't expect me to pay attention.

All that talk about small, efficient teams on some kind of short, *magical* development cycle ... it sounds familiar. I've heard something like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalit View Post
    Also, I'm really hoping DE 3 will be PC only, but it'll probably be made for consoles and ported to PC.
    Exactly. I am seriously sick and tired of getting watered-down crap ports from console games - especially when they where a franchise which started out on the PC.

EDIT:

I just checked out the Wikipedia article on Deus Ex 3 here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex_3

and it has a list of the images flashed in the teaser trailer. It's pretty interesting:

The images are:

*''Studies of the Shoulder and Neck'', ''A Study of the Spine'', and ''Detail of Anatomical Studies of the Muscles of the Neck, Shoulder, Chest and Arm'' by Leonardo da Vinci

*Eugenics head proportions diagram

*A depiction of Hell

*''Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp'' by Rembrandt

*An unknown image

*Lower case greek letter phi (the golden ratio in mathematics, art and architecture)

*Augmentation detail

*''Lament For Icarus'' by Herbert James Draper

*An x-ray image of a human chest

*A USG image

*A diagram of a logarithmic equiangular spiral

*An x-ray image of a human skull

*An image of a couple, with the girl having a mechanical arm

*Prosthetic limbs in a box

*Biopolitic Vote 2027, a voting card with a red X on it

*A sign saying 'Augmented people enter from the back'

*A sign 'We do not welcome augmented people here'

*Unknown mathematical graph

*A blurred picture of a street

*Photo of riot police

*An unknown building

*Roman numbers

*A lowercase italic letter 'h' in brackets, possibly the Planck constant
    Last edited by ZymeAddict; 26th Nov 2007 at 22:18.

What can you do?

As long as creating games from scratch remains a multi-million dollar endeavour, these companies are going to seek to maximise their profits and that isn't through the PC gaming market in isolation, not to mention that the console market seems more accepting of generic sequels in successful franchises so they only need to make one solidly identifiable game (eg. BioShock) and then use that strong reputation as they run it into the ground with BioShock 08/09 etc to make quick and easy profits.

I'm sick and tired of saying it, but we just need companies to license the fuck out of engines for a while and you'll get some mileage with games that can break the mold a little, trying new and innovative things because they don't have to spend just as much time on doing shit all over again that is often done better by other companies that spent years doing it.

There's so much repetition of engine-building from companies that it infuriates me. A lot of these companies (Epic, I'm looking at you) release one shoddy "look at my platform" game that's just a basic look at what that engine can do and then they hope a lot of companies pick it up for their games. Unfortunately this tends to happen with the imaginative dregs of the gaming world, COD5 for a made-up example will use the UT3 engine and feature the same linear corridors with infinitely respawning enemies, while Deus Ex 3 will probably attempt to build everything from scratch, struggle and release a flawed game that's compromised by a dual platform launch strategy.

Yup. Totally agree.

If GTA4 isn't a fantastic game, I'm done with the whole industry. More time to do healthier things then I guess .

All my top-rated games are yonks old. The modern stuff just doesn't do it for me. Prettier, shinier, higher rez and more AA, true. But gameplay hasn't gone anywhere, except maybe downhill a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jashin View Post
    These chumps have got A LOT to live up to.
    Thats exactly the problem. It's never going to be good enough so I think the effort would be better spent on a new IP that builds apon the gameplay style of Deus Ex (Bloodlines would be an example). Ofcourse the reason this kind of thing (Deus ex 3) gets green lighted is because it already has an audience.

We’re only working on AAA, major titles. We’re going to be developing only major AAA games, using only next-gen technology. ...

Some developers are really trying to push titles out the door within 12-15 months; we're working on plans for our first few titles that will only be released after 24 months.
    I'm don't know why he's bragging about a 24 months development cycle. I would say that 24 months is hardly long enough to develop a AAA title which is what he says they will be doing. These days it takes 3-4 years minimum to produce a genuine AAA title.

Still Subjective
    What Scots said. Both times.

This will be rubbish. I'm just skeptical about everything these days. Look at the stuff that's come out and is featured on TTLG as spawned from the original Thief/SS/DX trinity - TDS/BioShock/DX2. All flawed, and the case of each featuring much of what Scots has said.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    I'm just skeptical about everything these days.
    You've been spending too much time in the Darkmod off-topic forums, haven't you?

Their website says their first two projects are reviving successful franchises. Thief?

I can practically hear the voice-over of the Thief 4 teaser

THIS SUMMER
    THIEVING
    HAS A NEW NAME
    AND A NEW FACE

STARRING WILL SMITH AS GARRELL
    A WISE CRACKING BLACK THIEF FROM BROOKLYN
    AND HIS BUSTY SIDE KICK
    TITS O'NEILL

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    What Scots said. Both times.

This will be rubbish. I'm just skeptical about everything these days. Look at the stuff that's come out and is featured on TTLG as spawned from the original Thief/SS/DX trinity - TDS/BioShock/DX2. All flawed, and the case of each featuring much of what Scots has said.
    Maybe they've learned from past mistakes.

What's this about augments doing it from behind?

Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    THIS SUMMER
    IN A WORLD OF DARKNESS
    AN ANCIENT EVIL HAS AWOKEN
    ONE GIRL
    BOUND BY LOVE
    AN ELDERLY MASTER THIEF
    FOR ANYONE WHO HAS DARED TO DREAM
    THEY HAVE ONE LAST CHANCE TO MAKE IT RIGHT
    BUT THERE'S ONE PROBLEM
    *montage of glyph magic, garrett dying in the TDS girl's arms, zombies, garrett standing in shadow holding his blackjack above his head CONAN style*
    COMING SUMMER 2009

i've decided, i gonna have a really positive outlook for the whole development process of this game. hay deus ex IW was a crap sequel to the best game ever, but look at it on its own and it isn't that bad... still much more interesting than halo, gears of war, cod4 etc. It wont change what deus ex is, so it can't do any harm. And its not like its gonna be a big talent sink if it does go tits up cos we havent herd of these guys yet. so it can only be good.
    Although I have to agree that its worrying they think that 24 months is a long time to be developing a game (that wasn't me falling the positive outlook think at all by the way)

I'm somewhat hopeful

I don't think they will make many of the mistakes that DX2 had, considering how much complaints there were about it on both the Eidos forum and the Ion Storm forum. Eidos should be well aware of the issues, and how the public feels that DX1 is a vastly superior game.

Of course the game will be released on the consoles, though. But the small level issues that applied on DX2 isn't really a problem on the consoles of today. Bioshock got huge levels and it's a console game. Then there's the controls and HUD issues, well, we can only hope for the best there, I guess.

So yeah, I think it will be better than DX2 but worse than DX1. Seems like a realistic expectation to me, even if there's no info available.

If it's 24 months to develop a single platform game on an existing engine: rejoice, otherwise: resume cynical distancing.

I never did finish DX2, somewhere between getting frustrated by the 3 metre long by 5 metre wide load zones and the bug-out eyes on every NPC distracting me to the point of hilarity, oh and that guy who kept doing laps in the gym despite the building just being bombed breaking immersion just a teensy bit. Ahahahaha, what a disaster. I swear, I was more afraid to go through a doorway in this game to hit another interminable load screen than I was to grope around in the dark with monster closets in Doom 3.

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Eyes View Post
    Maybe they've learned from past mistakes.
    It's about the money more than anything else though. Look how watered down BioShock is as compared to the promises and look at how well it sold.

Mark this down on your cards.

I think an entirely new team is exactly what this franchise needs. I think it will be great.