TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Deus Ex 3 confirmed

Mark this down on your cards.

I think an entirely new team is exactly what this franchise needs. I think it will be great.

right now I'm so pissed it doesn't matter if they know it or not

let's be optimistic:

it's a new team, fresh and full of new ideas. between executive meetings they manage to infuse an soulless cashcow for EIDOS with real cyberpunk sensibility and style. they use a licensed, tested and known engine and get into production after 1 year prep. In secret they get help from W.SP and well-known SF-authors. the 360/PC versions will be released simultanious, PS3/Mobile following 3 months later. confident in their product they release the demo (pc/360) 1 month before release. like 2k before them they decide to ditch Multiplayer and concentrate on SP.
    the title is rated R, takes 30 hours to complete and has 13 different endings.
    each and every playstyle is supported, there are MULTIPLE difficulty options all tunable to your liking. modding support is built in from the box even for the xbox. they garner only average to good reviews (n00b-unfriendly, complicated, steep learning curve, too dark and depressing depiction of the future) but the fans LOVE it. being a sleeper hit it gets rereleased 2012 on the 720 and PS4 in HD++ with optional Mindscanner and collectable Biocell. it's raises up on multiple best-games-of-all-time lists and now sits there just below or even above DE1.

let's be realistic:

following a 2 year development cycle the 6-8 hour xbox360 exclusive DeusEx3 was released to mixed reviews. the PC version can only be played with an 360 controller on VISTA, has only AUTOSAVE and each promised 5sq-mile map is divided into 10 loading zones. controls are not configurable and the framerates are very low. Although no sequel has been announced the game ends with no conclusive answers and a now infamous cliffhanger. the city is divided into combat/non-combat areas therefore preventing abuse of the free-form playstyle to kill little children and rape nano-dogs. to prevent political problems/connections with todays state of the world the US goverment are the good guys now.
    Multiplayer (Nanite of the Hill/Cellwar/Capture the Biocanister) is limited to 4v4 on PC as well and gets shipped with only 4 maps.

garnering top rates in the gaming press, the fans of DeusEx hate it, leading to well-known website TTLG shutting down itself on a day of spontaneous voting the community decided to call it quits, not even waiting for the recently announced: THIEF 4 - CrowdControl with real-time looting.

so thanks for the info. see you in 2 years. no more bioshock hype for me.
    i had enough. while i constantly jerked off to every bioshock screen released i managed to totally NOT follow e.g. TheWitcher, one of the best games I played in a long time. and will play again. over and over.

won't happen with DE3.
    I will concentrate on what makes me a happy gamer, not a melancholic or maybe even raging mad gamer.

if they manage to pull off option#1 I go on a pilgramige to UBI Montreal.

If the devs play the first two games and stay true to the series I don't see why it couldn't be a great game. As good as the original? Doubtful. But it could still be a pretty awesome game.

I'm with scot that a new take on the universe would be much better than resurrecting an old franchise and having to deal with all the expectations, especially for the story and "continuity".
    above was not to flame on UBI and the game, we don't know shit yet and I doubt will get to know anything substantial in the next years but since bIOSHOCK I know how utterly frustrating following a game until release can be and from TheWitcher how overpoweringly amazing a game can be if you did NOT follow it that much or have any expectations or clear picture of what it "should" be.

but I'm a whore and registered on their forum already

BR796164
    Quote Originally Posted by aguywhoplaysthief View Post
    I think an entirely new team is exactly what this franchise needs.
    And I'll be in need to waste more money on new computar again. Shit.

Classical Master 2008
    Is it even confirmed for the PC? The press release isn't entirely clear to me...

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    I'm with scot that a new take on the universe would be much better than resurrecting an old franchise and having to deal with all the expectations, especially for the story and "continuity".
    Well, over at the DX discussion forums the stickied thread on the official DX3 development hints that the game is potentially a prequel to the DX storyline, which is awesome as far as I'm concerned.

Might be an idea to shift this thread over there, despite it being a suitable place to generate discussion, it'd be healthier if we kept it in the DX forum.

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    Well, over at the DX discussion forums the stickied thread on the official DX3 development hints that the game is potentially a prequel to the DX storyline, which is awesome as far as I'm concerned.
    That may not be a bad idea. What a proper DX3 needs is to build on the same concepts as the original: conspiracy theories, cyberpunk, faceless organisations controlling the world, reflections on today's popular culture and politics, etc. It isn't "what happened to JC" that really matters.

But then I am not holding my breath. Got burned too many times.

BR796164
    Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    Is it even confirmed for the PC? The press release isn't entirely clear to me...
    You gotta be kidding, a Deux Ex game - console only, surely that would be the end of civilization.

prequel sounds VERY good.
    much better than JC:now it's personal

but.....then why call it Deus Ex 3 ?

why not a subtitle like InvisibleWar, maybe.....the nanite menace

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by ZymeAddict View Post
    and it has a list of the images flashed in the teaser trailer. It's pretty interesting:

*An image of a couple, with the girl having a mechanical arm

*Prosthetic limbs in a box

*Biopolitic Vote 2027, a voting card with a red X on it

*A sign saying 'Augmented people enter from the back'

*A sign 'We do not welcome augmented people here'

*Photo of riot police
    Ooooh, maybe the storyline will be something about the class struggles of augmented people. That'd be cool.

I'm not a console player so please enlighten me. I don't know any crowded forums for console players either.

Since every gaming news site are now full of comments like, "please don't suck, please don't repeat dx:iw, please don't make consolitis mistakes" etc...There aren't any exceptions. Everyone is excited by this news, but surely cautious.

My question is, are there any communities/forums where people say "dx1 was too complicated, I got lost in levels, rpg system was too difficult but I liked dx2, it was easy/simple for me to get into it"...Anyone ever spotted comments like this?

There must be some other criteria developers are basing their decisions. With everyone that I know/read agreeing on the same thing, I'll be utterly amazed if they come up with the same dx:iw disaster again...

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Dust View Post
    Ofcourse the reason this kind of thing (Deus ex 3) gets green lighted is because it already has an audience.
    See, that's the problem I have with sequels made under these circumstances: They're not making the game for the existing audience, they're making it for Joe Gamer who probably never played the original, and at most only recognizes the name because of the existing audience is continually spazzing over how great the original was. If Joe Gamer tried to play the original, it either won't run on his system, or he'd teabag it 'cause of the crappy graphics and go back to playing Halo.

The only safe assumption is they're not making it for the ten thousand avid fans who remember and love the original, they're making it for the ten million people who bought Halo. You want a successful AAA game, you make it for the current crowd, not the fans living a decade in the past (oops, sorry, only seven years in the past).

I do hope some of the devs will show up and be a part of the community -- as did folks from ISA, Arkane, and Irrational. In fact, I suspect we've already got a few lurking in the shadows (so maybe we should be on good behaviour). But these days you've gotta be crazy to out yourself online -- once the fanbois turn against you, you're gonna get flamed (or worse, Photoshopped ... Kark and Warren, anyone?).

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    My question is, are there any communities/forums where people say "dx1 was too complicated, I got lost in levels, rpg system was too difficult but I liked dx2, it was easy/simple for me to get into it"...Anyone ever spotted comments like this?
    The people who would make such comments (and who the developers might therefore be aiming for) probably wouldn't hang out on internet video game forums and/or have played Deus Ex 1.

EDIT: indeed, what Shakey-Lo says.

Quote Originally Posted by Flux View Post
    [...]
    There must be some other criteria developers are basing their decisions.
    Though gaming forums are frequented by developers. They are by no means their only source of information on what works and what doesn't.

The thing with gaming forums is that they tend to be populated by people that take gaming a bit beyond the entertainment games supposedly are. Joe Average, the main target of the publisher (just because he exists in huge numbers), isn't really vocal online.

That leaves the developers to guess what Joe Average wants.

Possibly they try out the game in a couple of testing sessions. And try to interpret and solve the issues that arise, which is again partly guess work.

During Bioshock's development they heavily depended on these kind of test sessions and they figured that basically at every point someone got stuck, something required solving. Leading to a very smooth, hardly challenging gaming experience.

Personally, I applaud each attempt at creating a immersive, atmospheric game featuring a good story. So I'm hoping that DX3 will be just that. Only problem I foresee is that the game features no real challenge (because that might scare Joe).

Those images are:

# Studies of the Shoulder and Neck, A Study of the Spine, and Detail of Anatomical Studies of the Muscles of the Neck, Shoulder, Chest and Arm by Leonardo da Vinci

# Leonardo Da Vinci's application of the golden ratio to the head
    During the titles there is also some backwards handwriting ala Da Vinci.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

prequel sounds VERY good.
    much better than JC:now it's personal

It's probably just a working title.

Deus Ex 2 was good in it's own right and I had lots of fun with it. You fanboys just have no sense of perspective *shakes fist*

edit: I agree with henke, that would be cool.

The Architect
    So here's where I post about my terrible, awful, nigh unforgivable news post to dxm.com on the topic.

http://www.deusex-machina.com/shownews.asp?id=1218

I'm pretty sure it can only be better than what I'm expecting it to be. Unless they actually have contracted hayden christensen to do the voice acting.

It could be named Deus Ex 0. Would be innovative.

I really hope that all ppl working at EIDOS are EXTREMELY ill-favored and their faces will be obstructed with black bars during interviews. I don't wanna read discussions about cup sizes instead of features or their mysterious absence although promised.

class-struggle of the augmented people is classic as it could be and could have hints at our current political and scientific climate on this planet and therefore the potential to address more things than plottwists in the gameworld. I hope they take the free-roaming, quest-structure with repercussions thru-out the game really to the next level and don't come up with Shooter 2.0. I wanna have Action-cRPG 2.0.

(and an inventory please, a limited one like in the witcher or DX1)

You know what really bugs me? They talk about working on AAA titles before they're even released.

What the hell does that mean? That they're going to be AAA quality because they say so? Or that they have some sort of crystal ball and know exactly how these projects will turn out?

Or does AAA these days just mean "we're spending a couple million on it"? Thank you very much, but I'll decide what's AAA and what's utter crap, if and when I get to play it.

[Oh, and ROFL at "we do not welcome augmented people here". I can see they already have a AAA writer on the team]
    Last edited by HybridVision; 27th Nov 2007 at 08:24.

Quote Originally Posted by IndieInIndy View Post
    The only safe assumption is they're not making it for the ten thousand avid fans who remember and love the original, they're making it for the ten million people who bought Halo. You want a successful AAA game, you make it for the current crowd, not the fans living a decade in the past (oops, sorry, only seven years in the past).
    But why even bother with the whole Deus Ex name then? Wouldn't it be easier just to start from scratch? I know that they will be looking at enticing new players too but if they don't care about the old ones at all then it just doesn't make sense.

how many ppl saw the old TRANSFORMERS tv series ?
    did they all go to the new hollywood movie ?
    did they market the movie towards the old, the "fan" demographic ?

no, it's an testosterone filled puberty-wet dream for teenagers with some serious silicone for their fathers thrown in and the obvious "USA go, go, go".

So how will DX3 or 0 be advertised ?
    Do they really have to think about their old fans ?
    yes and no.

yes: to create hype and word of mouth (cult of rapture)
    no: to critize and stomp on the game after release (let's do NO demo)