TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Deus Ex 3 confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Dust View Post
    But why even bother with the whole Deus Ex name then? Wouldn't it be easier just to start from scratch? I know that they will be looking at enticing new players too but if they don't care about the old ones at all then it just doesn't make sense.
    It doesn't make sense to us. But publishers think slightly differently:

Stage 1: Deus Ex
    Stage 2: ?
    Stage 3: Profit!

verbose douchebag
    If they were to focus on class issues between mech-augments vs. normals, then they could do a lot worse in a title than Deus Ex: Machina.
    Who's with me?

Still Subjective
    I'm not so sure this is a prequel guys. I know that there is that date in the trailer but the rest of it doesn't really fit. In DX 1 + 2 was there any mention of augmented people being discriminated against in the way the trailer images suggest? If not doesn't that imply this game is set after DX2?

The only conflict was between mechanical aug soldiers and nano aug units.

I'm not sure either, I just picked up on it.
    why not ditch the known characters and companies for something else, just the same universe.....
    whatever.................let's hope a gamedesigner and writer will speak up soon.
    but then it's in early stages....

see this thread fall into obscurity after a few days for the next 1.5years.

Still Subjective
    DXIW is a universally derided game. The devs of DX3 and Eidos know this.

If they have any brains they'll be coming to the fan forums to find out where DXIW went wrong and threads like this, filled with hopes and fears as well as speculation, may help them. In fact we are the people pretentious enough to provide a HEY DX3 DEVS HERE IS LIST OF WHAT REALLY SUCKS ABOUT DXIW SO YOU CAN AVOID THIS CRAP thread/list/thing.

If anyone lives in Montreal, Eidos Montreal is having a open house on December 1st from 10 AM to 5 PM (under news section on the official site).

Level 10,000 achieved
    Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    DXIW is a universally derided game.
    Um... not really.

Let me highlight the important bit in that GameSpot article.
    When it was released in 2004 for the PC and Xbox, Deus Ex Invisible War received decent reviews and saw solid US sales of more than 300,000 units, according to NPD.
    The only place DXIW is derided is on TTLG and other equally nerdy gaming forums.

all my friends from the "real" life, EVERYBODY I know who played it and is no "internet message board nerd" did NOT like it. the ones who knew DX1 HATED it. the ones who did like it said something along the line of: well, what did you expect ? dx1 ? no way that is re-doable.

Still Subjective
    I know it had good reviews henke. But it's well recognised, even in those gaming publications that gave it good reviews, as deeply flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Subjective Effect View Post
    DXIW is a universally derided game. The devs of DX3 and Eidos know this.

If they have any brains they'll be coming to the fan forums to find out where DXIW went wrong and threads like this, filled with hopes and fears as well as speculation, may help them. In fact we are the people pretentious enough to provide a HEY DX3 DEVS HERE IS LIST OF WHAT REALLY SUCKS ABOUT DXIW SO YOU CAN AVOID THIS CRAP thread/list/thing.
    Well it's one thing to have a success of a game that was a failure in the eyes of the fans and another to have it a failure in both. Invisible War was by no means a failure, I just think it was greeted with a huge "meh." You can more than expect DE3 to appeal to Joe Average because they have to make money, so the key isn't to expect them to appeal 100% to us, the raving fans of a decade old game, but to get them to appeal to us as much as possible while still being able to sell the game. Take for example Bioshock; I wasn't around when Bioshock was run through the hype machine, but Bioshock on it's own right was extremely fun.

Now what 2k could learn when making something in the spirit of Bioshock is what they get from the fans and add to that so that we're as happy as "everyone else," because they've obviously already won the devotion of Joe Average. I thought Bioshock could've scaled up in difficulty better, and if you're vocal about it then 2k could say, "Well, next game let's keep the same formula we have to appeal to the average Joe and our investors, but change the difficulty curve so it doesn't feel so dumbed down to the hardcore fans." at their next bored meeting.

What we should do then, is be sure to give our input, although I'm certain nobody here is going to be 100% satisfied with however DE3 turns out to be, but hopefully we can be 90% satisfied instead. It's better than no game at all, certainly.

i like cyberpunk themed games, i like implants and the whole atmosphere and universe, gadgets and conspiracies linked to it. there are not enough games from this universe. so I certainly applaud that they wanna make some more.

If they manage to do a quality game we could be presented with a Bioshock'd DeusEx which will still fall flat on its face compared to its predecessor(s) but still be a good, ok game on its own (like BioShock is).

god i really hope they go for replayability and story/decisions/factions instead of "yo nano robot launching doomsday device" and "FPS 2.5" and 1000ds of abilities you pick up automatically.....and so on

What’s that? Warren Spector, Ken Levine and Harvey Smith were all just hired by valve who also just bought the rights to dues ex 3? Hang on a sec Angelina Jolie wants to say she’s just finished racking the path clear of all that money it was just raining. Oh, wait, no I’m high…

Quote Originally Posted by henke
    Mobygames doesn't have anything on this Stéphane dude. I think he's made up.
    Quote Originally Posted by van HellSing
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Actually they do have this Stéphane D’Astous guy in charge of things. Let's see what his online profile looks like. ... oh, oops. My bad. (Credit go henke for that one.)

Level 10,000 achieved
    I know! It's outrageous! It should say "Credit goes to henke for that one"

haha j/k. van Heezy best get props fo' that

The Architect
    Do you want credit too, HellSing?

Would be nice.

The Architect
    I actually just changed it. It was a little too cheeky maybe... that and my "am I awake yet oh cripes caffeine high" has worn off.

To be fair, he's worked on quite a few games in sort of the same position he has now. With our history of Warren, the two Harveys, Levine, and so forth, I don't mind for once having a game which does not have a big idea guru behind it. I don't think I could stand the drama.

is Best Pony
    Damn Digi, you get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?

jtr7
    Could be a combination of tryptophan hangover, caffeine withdrawal, and exhaustion from preparing and delivering a presentation--burning the candle at both ends.

Just a guess.
    Last edited by jtr7; 27th Nov 2007 at 13:27.

power point is your enemy

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    how many ppl saw the old TRANSFORMERS tv series ?
    did they all go to the new hollywood movie ?
    did they market the movie towards the old, the "fan" demographic ?

no, it's an testosterone filled puberty-wet dream for teenagers with some serious silicone for their fathers thrown in and the obvious "USA go, go, go".

So how will DX3 or 0 be advertised ?
    Do they really have to think about their old fans ?
    yes and no.

yes: to create hype and word of mouth (cult of rapture)
    no: to critize and stomp on the game after release (let's do NO demo)
    I know they are going to be going after new players but I think it would be pretty dumb of them to wack a 3 at the end of the title. It would just cause confusion I think. A prequel idea would be perfect though as new players wouldn't have to worry about what they missed and us old players would have another level of understanding about everything in the game. Assuming it stays true to what Deus Ex is.

I don't think Transformers is a really good comparison though. For starters it had a much larger audience as a TV series/toys and has since become part of pop culture. Also the basic concept (giant transforming robots from outer space) is easily marketed but I don't see the obvious 'hook' in Deus Ex. Maybe someone else could enlighten me as to what this is.

How much did Deus Ex 1 & 2 sell anyway? I'm guessing much more than the SS games since SS3 was squashed in favor of Bioshock.
    Last edited by Angel Dust; 27th Nov 2007 at 17:25.

Deus Ex: Machina would be a good title. It's catchy, is related to Deus Ex and yet doesn't put off people like Deus Ex 3 does.

I want to be able to add people to the list of NSF casualties if they don't disappear in ten seconds.

That said, it's a quantum-quality game.

Oh my. If the game is the same quality as the official forums' software, we are all doomed.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast