TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Deus Ex 3 confirmed

I take it you haven't tried it?

Imagine Simon Says without tones to suggest pace.

http://www.primarygames.com/puzzles/...olor/simon.htm

Bioshock's tubes were a work of art compared to this shit IMO...and at least they stayed in-theme.

While I found Mass Effect's minigame to be absolutely devoid of fun and a chore, at least it lasts a maximum of 6 seconds and requires a minimum of effort.

And on a New Game+ you have enough omnigel to blast through every door in the game. Twice. After all, what else can you do with it...repair your invincible tank?

From worst to tolerable:

Oblivion - OOPS start all over again!
    Bioshock - LOL PIPE DREAM
    ThiefS & SplinterCell:CT - Find your controller's G-spot!
    Deus Ex - Hold down mouse1 for 20 secondzzzzzzz
    Mass Effect - LOL SIMON
    System Shock 2 - LOL TIC TAC TOE
    Thief 1&2 - Actually this made me feel like I was picking a lock

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Fuck SS2's hacking. Fuck it in the ass with a rake. While its family is raped by dinosaurs. AIDS dinosaurs.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    Fuck SS2's hacking. Fuck it in the ass with a rake. While its family is raped by dinosaurs. AIDS dinosaurs.
    Fuck SS2's hacking especially during the
    spoiler:
    final boss fight.

ZylonBane
    Haha losers.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Haha losers.
    Haha fuck you.

This is how SS2's hacking works:

Oh gee, I'm out of things to click safely and I need to get three good hits in a row. Guess I'll click one of these dangerous nodes.

Fuck, I broke it. Oops, I can't repair it, but I really need to hack this thing. Time to reload my savegame.

Okay, trying again. Fuck, it set off the alarm. Time to reload.

Okay, trying again. Fuck, it blew up. Time to reload.

Okay, trying again. Fuck, it blew up, set off the alarm, and anally raped my mother while pouring sugar in my gas tank. Fuck this shit.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Still I'd rather SS2's hacking to Bioshock's pipe dream for console tards.

Bioshock's minigame required a hell of a lot more quick thinking than "DURRRR dont click red node..?"

Hey dethtoll, I don't suppose you ever tried raising your cyber affinity?
    Or resetting the hack?

Actually you know the best thing ever would be having Decker as a hacking metagame. Or some VR-themed roguelike like Overworld Zero.

Seriously, dethtoll, SS2 hacking was easy if you kept your relevant skill and ability up, and frequently essentially impossible if you didn't. If your strategy was to neglect hacking skill in favor of, say, guns and maintenance (and hey, why not) then don't complain when you can't hack it.

That's just IT. I always play Navy and I always crank up my hacking-related stats.

The problem lies in the fact that the stupid thing is essentially reliant on shit luck. And that's just not any fun.

As long as you have cyber affinity that matches your hack level, all you have to do is click empty nodes until you win or hit the reset button if you fill all the empty nodes...only costs you a few nanites. Don't click the red nodes ever. Unless you like eating explosions or fighting the contents of the entire deck all at once.

I play hacker constantly and have never had to fail a hack (except for some security crates that I always end up ICE-picking now)

Matter of fact, it's that safeness and reliability that makes SS2 hacking so boring.

I hate hitting the reset button, because more often than not, I end up spending more nanites than whatever I just hacked will give back to me (if it has any nanites at all.) And considering how much ammo I rely on, I need all the nanites I can get.

Uh what? I hardly needed to buy any ammo during most games. Also, if you raise your cyb, hacking becomes a lot cheaper and faster.

You hate using reset?

Zylonbane was charitable.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    spoiler:
    final boss fight.
    That's why I always save up all my ICE picks. So I don't have to deal with that situation.

I have to agree with dethtoll on this, while Deus Ex's hacking feature is just boring, SS2's feels like you're playing that three card game used by a street hustler - except there are about 10 cards, and if you pick the wrong one he shoves a live grenade up your ass.

It's not fun or challenging, it's just a matter of dumb luck.

I guess people kind of missed my point. Anything that's based on pure shit luck is considerably less fun than something like, say, SS1's hacking. It doesn't matter how high your stats are, what result you get when you click on a node is purely luck of the roll. The only time it's not luck is when you have a 100% chance of getting a good node.

Also, some of those fucking things take like 15 nanites. I'm not going to spend 90 nanites on constant fuckups that could've been spent on ammo. I go through a lot of ammo, particularly regular shotgun ammo and AP rounds, even though I take my shots carefully. I guess the nanite-saving thing is less defensible because it's strictly a personal thing.

In any case, Bioshock's hacking, while, er, hackneyed? It was a far sight better than SS2's, in part 'cuz it felt like a nod to all those crazy puzzles in SS1.
    Last edited by dethtoll; 30th Nov 2007 at 02:47.

I didn't realize so many people despised SS2's hacking

I always found it rather pointless...more like an abstract measure of the sum total of your hacking skills made to feel marginally interactive than an actual minigame. But its value lay in the fact that it made you do SOMETHING. That is something more than holding down a mouse button while aiming at a console.

And during that
    spoiler:
    last fight with SHODAN
    , what would you rather do, jam on those nodes like a madman, or stand there and hold a multitool up to it for 10 seconds?

Actually I'm sure we'd all just rather ICE-pick or EMP grenade to victory come to think of it :/

When I look back at Deus Ex, it really makes me appreciate hacking minigames. Far preferable to just holding the mouse at something.

I actually really loved SS2's hacking, the Pipe Dream got boring after a while. And stupid when it came to hacking safes.

In SS2 your skills actually had an effect on hacking, which is really important for a skill-based game. In SS1 the variety of minigames was enjoyable and interesting, made for some real variety.

As for SHODAN, yes, ICE pick three times and she goes down.

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
    CANADIANS

WHAT THE HELL DO CANADIANS KNOW ABOUT CYBERPUNK
    They... invented it?

Nice catch

But nevermind me there, I was just playing the stereotype

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    spoiler:
    final boss fight.
    You didn't just use hack tools?

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    This is how SS2's hacking works:

Oh gee, I'm out of things to click safely and I need to get three good hits in a row. Guess I'll click one of these dangerous nodes.
    I'm interested to know if anyone else on the forums thinks this is how SS2's hacking works. I somehow doubt it

Still Subjective
    Regardless of dethtoll's approach we can all agree that the hacking in SS2 is somewhat lacking, no? It is just a game of luck and upping your hacking skill to get +2 on the dice doesn't change the fact that it's a matter of ya rolls ya dice.

At least BioShock's hacking involved some skill. It's a silly approach (the plumbing thing) but I felt I failed when I hadn't hacked well, not by being purely unlucky. Yes, the number of alarm tiles is reduced with better hacking skills and reduced in easily hackable stuff (like Circus of Value) and sometimes a hack is impossible due to alarm tile placement. When it is possible it is down to skill.

I'm not suggesting that the plumbing thing be reused, but the use of a Decker like game would be ideal imo.
    Last edited by SubJeff; 30th Nov 2007 at 10:09.

I'm sure I said this before, but...

SS2's hacking is not trying to be a mini-game. It's a visual representation of your character's hacking ability. They could have done it DE style, with a slightly randomised progress bar timer, and it would accomplish the same thing.

However, SS2's hacking was more complicated than that. A difficult hack could still be completed, brute force style, by restarting and spending more nanites. Hence it was not just a case of success or failure; you could ask "how much do I want to succeed when the odds are against me?" But that too could be accomplished by a progress bar representation, if you think about it.

To me, however, the grid and the safe/ unsafe nodes is more aesthetically pleasing than a progress bar. In the end the mechanical differences are minor, so it's really just personal preference.

And for dethtoll - you never have to click on a dangerous node. After I found that things break, or alarms get triggered, I figured it was better to spend the extra nanites on restarting, or coming back to it later in the game.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast